Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:59 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:52 pm

I am 2x the average. I can't imagine that most people give a F to be honest. After 3-6 months of driving it will have more road scars than now... so :whocares: ? I am debating not getting it "Fixed" because I fear of what the "fix" may mean.
Since this was acceptable for a brand new delivery, I imagine any fixes won't be worth the hassle. Sad that this is what $90k buys you now, but nobody seems to care so Tesla's doing it right I guess.
Seems like the question is whether the same Joe Citizen charged with fitting the bumpers is also the one in charge of bolting together the suspension and interior.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 pm
Since this was acceptable for a brand new delivery, I imagine any fixes won't be worth the hassle. Sad that this is what $90k buys you now, but nobody seems to care so Tesla's doing it right I guess.
Seems like the question is whether the same Joe Citizen charged with fitting the bumpers is also the one in charge of bolting together the suspension and interior.
Interior and suspension are fine. Thanks for the concern :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:02 pm
It's actually a lot harder to nail down body interior fitment/finish than bolting suspension components together. They use torque wrenches and done.

But body and interior, there's a ton of variables, some of which are adjustable. Nailing that down takes a lot of patience and attention to detail and don't impact functional performance. Tesla just needs to pound cars out and get them in customer's hands, and if people don't stop buying vehicles despite poor fit and finish, why would Tesla improve?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

ITT Max takes a day off of work to play 69,420 questions
max225

So since I am on the computer at the moment it's easier to post a coherent write up on the car.

Whats good?
  • The car is very quiet
    Performance is as advertised. I am also shocked that you can essentially use 670hp daily without drama. Unlike my 450hp m3.

The car rides excellent, one of the if not best ride quality I experienced in a sedan.

Car interior is supremely quiet with 0 squeaks and rattles

22 speaker stereo is great

UI is great and better than with any other OEM

Camera quality/integration into everything is best in biz

Amount of software features is YEARS ahead of anyone else... literally years, the gap is incomprehensibly large unless you experience it yourself
    I do like the interior it is very different and for the most part has excellent quality worthy of the price tag.

Tech is insane. This is worthy of it's own post. As no other vehicle comes close. It is just very clear now, after going back to back with my departed tacoma and it's driver assistance.

Buying experience if you don't give a damn about details is excellent. You can purchase the car and have it delivered to your home, all without dealing any :dillerman: sleaze balls.
What's bad?
  • Initial quality documented here. 5 issues on a brand new car

Reaching someone who gives a damn/Customer support. You have 0 contacts within Tesla... No one from sales, no one from a dealer no one anywhere. Every time you have an issue you get sent into the ether. (more on this later as I am just starting to go through the process)

The above point isn't 100% all bad though, because you as a customer can easily schedule appointments diagnose the car/request service through the app and it is actually insanely though out and straight forward. With no calling anyone and waiting on the phone/getting transferred etc.

The software update "bricked" my car for 40 min, yes I could schedule it anytime but I didn't expect the fact that I can't get into it... it was unresponsive to door opening etc

I significantly prefer the X over the S actually... The way the windshield is laid out is just way more "spaceship" than the S, and I love the stupid doors and the extra headroom and driving position. The S is an outdated body style IMO.
As with everything a lot of good and bad. Is this the best car in the world ? Hell no, is it the most technologically advanced vehicle and different driving experience? Absolutely. It really comes down to what you want out of a vehicle and driving experience.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

West to East coast road trip is when? :excited:
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:30 pm West to East coast road trip is when? :excited:
Haha, I really don't know about long term drive viability... there may be a couple of weeks to find out.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Yeah I mean everyone is quick to point out fit and finish flaws on teslas. Yet the trade off is a vehicle that is light years ahead of the competition in other ways. For the price it should be better assembled but it’s really in a league of its own in other ways.

I’d get the scratch fixed. The rest… up to you I guess.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

The scratch is the only concern IMO, since it is a rust prone area.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:06 pm Yeah I mean everyone is quick to point out fit and finish flaws on teslas. Yet the trade off is a vehicle that is light years ahead of the competition in other ways. For the price it should be better assembled but it’s really in a league of its own in other ways.

:like: TY for taking the dagger out of my seppuku ceremony of embarrassment today.

I am debating about the minor other issues... like I don't want a bumper respray.. or a new bumper period. The small gap is better than paint mismatch. This is fancy as shit pearl paint... i think its impossible to match.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:06 pm Yeah I mean everyone is quick to point out fit and finish flaws on teslas. Yet the trade off is a vehicle that is light years ahead of the competition in other ways. For the price it should be better assembled but it’s really in a league of its own in other ways.

:like: TY for taking the dagger out of my seppuku ceremony of embarrassment today.

I am debating about the minor other issues... like I don't want a bumper respray.. or a new bumper period. The small gap is better than paint mismatch. This is fancy as shit pearl paint... i think its impossible to match.
Fine. Lets focus on the most important aspect of the car and start a Max vs. Hellcat thread.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I mean it’s really a lot of bs. Like if you read about a corvette or something and it overheats and cuts power after 1 lap on a track (I’ve read shit like this so much) they turn into a bunch of apologists and it’s somehow fine that it can’t actually perform. Yet Tesla gets dinged for really mostly minor fit and finish and people just can’t seem to let it go.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:27 pm

I mean it’s really a lot of bs. Like if you read about a corvette or something and it overheats and cuts power after 1 lap on a track (I’ve read shit like this so much) they turn into a bunch of apologists and it’s somehow fine that it can’t actually perform. Yet Tesla gets dinged for really mostly minor fit and finish and people just can’t seem to let it go.
As someone who understands what happens to cars with age, I am completely aligned here. I get it, I am not apologizing about of this... it is still an "issue" But does it matter? On brand new car that is to be wrapped in a bubble for aliens to study 110000 years from now? Maybe? For someone who will actually drive it... It looks like a rock chip. It'll get at least 2-5 of those every 10k miles... Unless I keep it in a bubble at home. The tail light paint thing... it won't be visible after a day of driving + dust and you can see it from 3" away...
The bumper... Well... average person won't see it, perhaps they can adjust that...

Rest ... :iono: When I had my M3... another nuclear bird shat on it ( :member: my fukushima 370z incident of :doomed: ) and i couldn't get the paint back... like.. shit happens when you drive unfortunately.

But I wanted to share with the class that if you're OCD level over 9000 you will likely have said seppuku ceremony upon delivery.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:25 pm

Fine. Lets focus on the most important aspect of the car and start a Max vs. Hellcat thread.
I have professional timing gear for 0-60. I can do a few launches to verify. But this will have to wait when i get back from the storm ridden Hawaiian islands next week.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:33 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:25 pm

I have professional timing gear for 0-60. I can do a few launches to verify. But this will have to wait when i get back from the storm ridden Hawaiian islands next week.
Don't forget to pack your parka and mittens.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

How big is the scratch? You don't need to have the whole area resprayed. A professional who can mix their own paint, can take a syringe or tiny tiny detail brush, and fix it to the point you won't be able to find it again.
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:34 pm

How big is the scratch? You don't need to have the whole area resprayed. A professional who can mix their own paint, can take a syringe or tiny tiny detail brush, and fix it to the point you won't be able to find it again.
The roof … it’s about a 1/2mm x 1/2mm through the paint and a 4mm scratch leading up to it.

The bumper is just slightly misaligned on the drivers side but I don’t know if that’s because it needs a new bumper (bad mold ) or just adjusting. Also it has a paint imperfection of about 2mm under the tail light which needs a sand/respray. All pictured in great detail above
Last edited by max225 on Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:08 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:34 pm

The roof … it’s about a 1/2mm x 1/2mm through the paint and a 4mm scratch leading up to it.

The bumper is just slightly misaligned on the drivers side but I don’t know if that’s because it needs a new bumper (bad mold ) or just adjusting
I would inquire about a professional touch up job at your automotive painter of choice
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:27 pm

It's a slippery slope. JDPower's IQS has been around for decades solely because build quality used to be garbage across the industry. That study is in large part responsible for what we're used to today...and that's being able to call out that in modern times build quality like that just isn't up to snuff.

Tesla has clearly said :aintcare: and focuses on delivering bleeding edge tech and performance that others can't even begin to approach. Customers agree, and that's all that matters. It's delivering on incredible performance promises that makes Tesla so :impressive: so dealing with minor build quality issues are a worthwhile trade-off to most.

BUT, it's still not up to par in the industry, something that's mostly a foregone conclusion at this point and I think still worth mentioning because someone spending that kind of money on a vehicle should know that it's probably not going to arrive perfect like any other car at that pricepoint certainly would.

So it's interesting how the industry has evolved.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

I would be curious to see how a vehicle in a similar technological profile compares to the Tesla. Comparing it to a manufacturer that is heavily weighted towards Corollas or civics seems kind of :wrong: something like a Range Rover or porschaaa would be closest
max225

If looking at the numbers only it’s on par with Audi … :wtf:

And about 10% worse than MB which doesn’t seem bad
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:36 pm I would be curious to see how a vehicle in a similar technological profile compares to the Tesla. Comparing it to a manufacturer that is heavily weighted towards Corollas or civics seems kind of :wrong: something like a Range Rover or porschaaa would be closest
That's exactly the point. ANY company has a fixed amount of resources, and Tesla clearly decides to deploy them toward developing technology instead of focusing on perfect fit and finish. Arguably, the tech is more usable to the buyer than perfect bumper alignment and no scratches (that I agree, just touch up and :aintcare: ).

I wonder how Rivians will look if they're still around in a few years producing en masse. Or Lucid. Or any of these other techy car startups. We may actually see a shift in the industry away from perfect fit and finish and toward a tech arms race. Which again, isn't BAD, but is certainly a departure from industry norms.

I find it pretty fascinating, really.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:37 pm If looking at the numbers only it’s on par with Audi … :wtf:

Well, Audi and MB have always been below industry average. It's a combination of super advanced features, build complexity, and high customer expectations. Not much different from Tesla.

Though, I highly doubt any Audi or MB buyers are dealing with misaligned bumpers or scratches. That would be an :instant: :nope: at the :dillerman: Which in this limited case, actually adds value. I doubt an Audi or MB would have even been delivered in the condition your Model S was in.

And goes back to my original caution. When something goes wrong, and in this case it was BEFORE delivery, there's no direct way to get it fixed like there is with a :dillerman: Just plug it into the app and hope the software prioritized you somewhere. Very different from going to the :dillerman: and raising a stink.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:41 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:36 pm I would be curious to see how a vehicle in a similar technological profile compares to the Tesla. Comparing it to a manufacturer that is heavily weighted towards Corollas or civics seems kind of :wrong: something like a Range Rover or porschaaa would be closest
That's exactly the point. ANY company has a fixed amount of resources, and Tesla clearly decides to deploy them toward developing technology instead of focusing on perfect fit and finish. Arguably, the tech is more usable to the buyer than perfect bumper alignment and no scratches (that I agree, just touch up and :aintcare: ).

I wonder how Rivians will look if they're still around in a few years producing en masse. Or Lucid. Or any of these other techy car startups. We may actually see a shift in the industry away from perfect fit and finish and toward a tech arms race. Which again, isn't BAD, but is certainly a departure from industry norms.

I find it pretty fascinating, really.
I'm really :popcorn: about Lucid. On paper they sound :amaze: , new battery and motor tech, etc, and I believe they've started actual production. The Air just won Motor Trend's COTY award FWIW (and I know it ain't much).

https://www.motortrend.com/news/lucid-a ... -the-year/
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:46 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:37 pm If looking at the numbers only it’s on par with Audi … :wtf:

Well, Audi and MB have always been below industry average. It's a combination of super advanced features, build complexity, and high customer expectations. Not much different from Tesla.

Though, I highly doubt any Audi or MB buyers are dealing with misaligned bumpers or scratches. That would be an :instant: :nope: at the :dillerman: Which in this limited case, actually adds value. I doubt an Audi or MB would have even been delivered in the condition your Model S was in.

And goes back to my original caution. When something goes wrong, and in this case it was BEFORE delivery, there's no direct way to get it fixed like there is with a :dillerman: Just plug it into the app and hope the software prioritized you somewhere. Very different from going to the :dillerman: and raising a stink.
https://www.teslarati.com/porsche-whist ... s-coverup/

:lol:

Ppl like to hate on tesla... but look this... and the bolt recall..

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/looks-like ... ty-issues/