max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:30 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:54 pm
Yep private party.
FBM?
That was proven to be completely useless. All I got was just a bunch of Joses/javiers sending 40k messages.

It was craigslist ironically... Dude was only 5 min away from me.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:45 pm
FBM?
That was proven to be completely useless. All I got was just a bunch of Joses/javiers sending 40k messages.

I hope people start to migrate back to CL since FBM is such a :disgust: shitshow.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:55 pm

I hope people start to migrate back to CL since FBM is such a :disgust: shitshow.
Never used it before... and got :disgust: 'ed using it once... I don't think I will be back.
max225

Truck left with its new super happy owner.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:pouroneout:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

FBM?

Yep, this is the way. FBM generates 10X the volume of inquiries, the real buyer then comes in from CL.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:55 pm
Never used it before... and got :disgust: 'ed using it once... I don't think I will be back.
It is great for selling smaller shit, like a set of wheels, piece of furniture, lawn tools, etc. No bueno for car sales.

Congrats on the sale, that is pretty epic.

:pouroneout: :doe:
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:57 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:05 pm

It is great for selling smaller shit, like a set of wheels, piece of furniture, lawn tools, etc. No bueno for car sales.

Congrats on the sale, that is pretty epic.

:pouroneout: :doe:
Yea... what will replace it... I have no frigging idea.... :yikes:
Defender
Model X
Model S
Model 3/Y

Are all floating in my mind. Financially only the teslas make sense... but I don't like the 3/Y because there are 100 of them in every parking lot here. And the S/X got extremely expensive with Teslas latest MSRP grab.

Defender just worries me from cost of ownership perspective as it will depreciate to 0 in 4-5 years and that's a lot of money to light on fire. We're now officially over $5 for regular also... which is insanity
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

FBM?

Facebook can suck it.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Final truck thoughts now that it’s gone for 48 hrs.
I don’t miss it, but I do miss the memories I formed with it.

What did I like ?
It was great to own, very predictable, every feature works etc.
toyota maintenance costs are great
Toyota quality was great (keyless etc worked flawlessly)
It was somewhat special as it was the unobtanium edition in an unobtanium color
It felt great knowing that my kids kids can still enjoy it if it wasn’t for uncle :plac:
Great headlights
I liked the simplicity of a normal dash, manual hand brake etc.

What did I not like ?
Frankly that engine and transmission combo is anemic, you have to think long in advance when trying to pass someone, or even accelerate from one lane to another on the freeway. You also have to be at 3600+ rpm to feel some guts… that simply doesn’t work for a truck imo.
Technology is bad, the head unit while ok is laggy af, navigation lags, CarPlay lags and requires awkward clicking etc. touch screen feels like it’s from 2004
The lane Assist is useless as all it does is beep
The cruise control goes apeshit trying to maintain speed because the truck has no power, it constantly shifts 2000-4000 rpm while maintaining 70mph
Not a great amount of space for 4 people. Yes you can make it work but it’s fairly unusable for taller people.

Things people bitched about that i had no issues with:
drum brakes. They were completely fine. Thing stops better than most things suv/truck
seating position, completely overblown imo. Was totally fine.
max225

So really... I am sort of stuck at the moment...

Defender is the absolute front runner from a Vehicular perspective where there is an ICE. But isn't a NEEDED vehicle as we still have perfectly functioning cars. This would be a collective toy for me and the misses.

I am really concerned about the future of ICE, so plopping down 67 or 82k post tax to have it dissipate into oblivion is a bit of a hesitation at the moment.

Going to drive the Defender X next week to find out if it is worthwhile or if we should hold off. After which time was going to put in an order for one that should arrive in 4-6 months.

I wish there was an EV that checked all the boxes. But so far that's not in the cards as most are either too boring, or too expensive. Or just don't exist period. A defender with a 250-300 mile EV range would be pretty much perfect. But they don't exist and the E400p is not available in the US which is an interesting stop gap.

Overall sort of :( about the whole car situation. As there doesn't seem to be a clear answer that makes me want to go :fuckyeah: this is amazing lets make a :dill:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:28 pm So really... I am sort of stuck at the moment...

Defender is the absolute front runner from a Vehicular perspective where there is an ICE. But isn't a NEEDED vehicle as we still have perfectly functioning cars. This would be a collective toy for me and the misses.

I am really concerned about the future of ICE, so plopping down 67 or 82k post tax to have it dissipate into oblivion is a bit of a hesitation at the moment.

Going to drive the Defender X next week to find out if it is worthwhile or if we should hold off.

I wish there was an EV that checked all the boxes. But so far that's not in the cards as most are either too boring, or too expensive. Or just don't exist period.
Again, ICE vehicles will be worth more in the future. Think about :manuel: , hydraulic steering, NA versus turbo, etc. The old tech is always worth more. Always.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Even if 50% of new vehicle sales are EV in 10 years (highly unlikely IMO)... that is still 20+ years to even half of US vehicles being EV. This is very :lolol: media blown nonsense.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:30 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:28 pm So really... I am sort of stuck at the moment...

Going to drive the Defender X next week to find out if it is worthwhile or if we should hold off.

I wish there was an EV that checked all the boxes. But so far that's not in the cards as most are either too boring, or too expensive. Or just don't exist period.
Again, ICE vehicles will be worth more in the future. Think about :manuel: , hydraulic steering, NA versus turbo, etc. The old tech is always worth more. Always.
Interesting counter point. It does seem like the OLD OLD tech, or having less tech for THE REASON of simplicity. Like original defender... or Wrangler... or Air cooled porsche is worth more.

So a vehicle like the BRZ for example I would have faith in. There is no way an EV can replace that experience.

I am a bit more concerned when it comes to a breadbox vehicle though. Defender has some tech... perhaps I am overthinking it it. But it would be somewhat in the middle of having SOME tech but not being fully EV. So on one hand that's nice because it amplifies the experience but on the other it creates a handicap as it may add to the complexity.

IT would perhaps be worthwhile to order up the simplest defender available... (which is sort of what I am already considering)
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:35 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:30 pm

Interesting counter point. It does seem like the OLD OLD tech, or having less tech for THE REASON of simplicity. Like original defender... or Wrangler... or Air cooled porsche is worth more.

So a vehicle like the BRZ for example I would have faith in. There is no way an EV can replace that experience.

I am a bit more concerned when it comes to a breadbox vehicle though. Defender has some tech... perhaps I am overthinking it it. But it would be somewhat in the middle of having SOME tech but not being fully EV. So on one hand that's nice because it amplifies the experience but on the other it creates a handicap as it may add to the complexity.

IT would perhaps be worthwhile to order up the simplest defender available... (which is sort of what I am already considering)
:word: This is a valid point. IF the infrastructure begins to exist to make it at all convenient, an EV :truk: makes a lot of sense.

That said, how are you going to charge an EV while 'overlanding'. Sure, no one actually overlands, BUT people buy these vehicles under the pretense that they will. I think many would be turned off by range anxiety in a vehicle that is largely designed to get you away from the grid. Gas is available everywhere and will be for years to come, and extending range is as easy as bringing some cans... EV doesn't offer that.

I think your run-of-the-mill ICE CUVs/compact cars and such could be diminished in value a lot if EV really becomes compelling, but I feel like any kind of enthusiast vehicle will hold out just fine.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Going to drive the Defender X next week to find out if it is worthwhile or if we should hold off. After which time was going to put in an order for one that should arrive in 4-6 months.

I wish there was an EV that checked all the boxes. But so far that's not in the cards as most are either too boring, or too expensive. Or just don't exist period. A defender with a 250-300 mile EV range would be pretty much perfect. But they don't exist and the E400p is not available in the US which is an interesting stop gap.

Overall sort of :( about the whole car situation. As there doesn't seem to be a clear answer that makes me want to go :fuckyeah: this is amazing lets make a :dill:
:ayfkm: As you call him, "Uncle Plac"..............which is effing hilarious BTW, will have arrived and taken your Defender to its second owner long before your pod world arrives.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:33 pm

:ayfkm: As you call him, "Uncle Plac"..............which is effing hilarious BTW, will have arrived and taken your Defender to its second owner long before your pod world arrives.
There is probably less of a lie here. However the defender will be co owned by the woman. And she is "anti" plac rolling in a 2010 TSX still refusing to let that go that she's had since 2012. :lol:
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:08 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:35 pm

:word: This is a valid point. IF the infrastructure begins to exist to make it at all convenient, an EV :truk: makes a lot of sense.

That said, how are you going to charge an EV while 'overlanding'. Sure, no one actually overlands, BUT people buy these vehicles under the pretense that they will. I think many would be turned off by range anxiety in a vehicle that is largely designed to get you away from the grid. Gas is available everywhere and will be for years to come, and extending range is as easy as bringing some cans... EV doesn't offer that.

I think your run-of-the-mill ICE CUVs/compact cars and such could be diminished in value a lot if EV really becomes compelling, but I feel like any kind of enthusiast vehicle will hold out just fine.
The infrastructure is a non issue for me (just speaking for myself). I'll be charging at home or at one of the more than 80,000 Ev stations in california. They are literally everywhere. There are an additional 125k planned by 2025...

I don't foresee shitting in the woods anytime soon, so I don't think the overloading thing is an issue for me either. Also there has been a huge effort lately by Jeep and others to put charging spots next to popular off roading trails. If you think about it electricity availability is just as good as if not better than gas. Every place that has gas has electricity, But not vice versa.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:46 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:33 pm

There is probably less of a lie here. However the defender will be co owned by the woman. And she is "anti" plac rolling in a 2010 TSX still refusing to let that go that she's had since 2012. :lol:
She may change her tune when the 27th flux capacitor blows on the Defender.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:05 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:46 pm

:dat: however, it is under warranty for now. So unless it is a completely abysmal experience, which it may be... I don't foresee a :nuke: ing anytime soon. And we currently do have the mini which is on paper also an unreliable POS but so far so good.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:57 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:08 pm

The infrastructure is a non issue for me (just speaking for myself). I'll be charging at home or at one of the more than 80,000 Ev stations in california. They are literally everywhere. There are an additional 125k planned by 2025...

I don't foresee shitting in the woods anytime soon, so I don't think the overloading thing is an issue for me either. Also there has been a huge effort lately by Jeep and others to put charging spots next to popular off roading trails. If you think about it electricity availability is just as good as if not better than gas. Every place that has gas has electricity, But not vice versa.
:word:

I think you're right for your own use. Having rapid charging at home and likely at/near your offices in the Bay Area is a huge asset for this. Frankly, most people don't live in that reality (not that that matters for your use case, but to the ICE cars will be paperweights in 10 years point).

I listened to an episode of Smoking Tire Podcast recently where Matt, Zack, and their guests (all of whom live in Los Angeles) talked about going on weekend trips with EVs, and while it is certainly no herculean task, it proved to be quite inconvenient. You have to plan the entire trip around charging the car, basically. Matt had to drive an hour out of the way to charge, which he stated his wife was pretty unimpressed with. Once there, you have to wait, 20 minutes at best, hours at worst. Sure, it's doable, but for many, the freedom to get in the car and go on a trip with minimal planning and the ability to deviate from plans as desired, it a huge part of it. As someone who has driven cross country many times, there is plenty more than enough planning required without ever having to think about where to get fueled up and how long it will take.

I think an EV would be great for you and your wife :doe: , you have other cars to use if needed, you live in probably the best part of the US for EV, you invested in the infrastructure at your home. 95% of the country is 10 years away from it just being easy. I don't really think >50% of the population will have any interest in EVs until it is equally as convenient as ICE, which we are nowhere near today.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:05 pm

:dat: however, it is under warranty for now. So unless it is a completely abysmal experience, which it may be... I don't foresee a :nuke: ing anytime soon. And we currently do have the mini which is on paper also an unreliable POS but so far so good.
The 2.0T BMW drivetrain seems to be pretty dang stout all things considered. The timing chain issues exist, but I think by 2016 that was worked out anyway.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:15 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:07 pm

The 2.0T BMW drivetrain seems to be pretty dang stout all things considered. The timing chain issues exist, but I think by 2016 that was worked out anyway.
Unfortunately JLR decided to create a brand new engine family called "ingenium" in the following sizes ... 1.5, 2.0 and 3.0. So the I6 and the I4 are related but completely concocted and built by JLR, + they are using FIAT variable valve timing tech.

It is a huge :notsure: However the engines they are replacing were timing chain nightmares, but overall solid otherwise. I honestly think I am probably blowing this out of proportion by over thinking it to this extent, as I'll have a warranty for 3 :plac: lifetimes + the option to get extended protection that prevents any sort of :nuke: scenario.

I am pretty sure 99.99% of people don't even consider 1/10th of the things I am actively debating in my mind for no reason other than having car issues.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:14 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:57 pm

I think you're right for your own use. Having rapid charging at home and likely at/near your offices in the Bay Area is a huge asset for this. Frankly, most people don't live in that reality (not that that matters for your use case, but to the ICE cars will be paperweights in 10 years point).

I listened to an episode of Smoking Tire Podcast recently where Matt, Zack, and their guests (all of whom live in Los Angeles) talked about going on weekend trips with EVs, and while it is certainly no herculean task, it proved to be quite inconvenient. You have to plan the entire trip around charging the car, basically. Matt had to drive an hour out of the way to charge, which he stated his wife was pretty unimpressed with. Once there, you have to wait, 20 minutes at best, hours at worst. Sure, it's doable, but for many, the freedom to get in the car and go on a trip with minimal planning and the ability to deviate from plans as desired, it a huge part of it. As someone who has driven cross country many times, there is plenty more than enough planning required without ever having to think about where to get fueled up and how long it will take.

I think an EV would be great for you and your wife :doe: , you have other cars to use if needed, you live in probably the best part of the US for EV, you invested in the infrastructure at your home. 95% of the country is 10 years away from it just being easy. I don't really think >50% of the population will have any interest in EVs until it is equally as convenient as ICE, which we are nowhere near today.
Yea I trying to be fairly clear about my own scenario here vs "rest of the country". I am with you that there are areas where it makes 0 sense. Hell I was in Texas last month and $2.80 gas is still a thing, and there are 0 EV charging spots. But that's not where I live or will live in the foreseeable future. Those pockets will take the longest to switch over.

I don't foresee EV issues during reasonable road trips either. Traversing the country ?! yea the infrastructure mostly exists for Teslas only, but the whole Electrify america + EV go is rapidly building that out also and its now doable in pretty much any EV. For ex a shit ton of walmarts now have 150kw charging ... you get about 3 miles per KW... and if your car is capable (of the quick charging) you can do the math as to how "quickly" that works. No it isn't like a gas station, where it is 2-3 min, but in 15-25min you can get 200-250 miles of "range" into a vehicle, sometimes more.

I have tried so explain how commuting + road tripping works to some of you on here, but I gave up because some just don't want to hear it. It is doable even now to do things, but it requires some planning, and its getting easier day by day.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/

https://www.evgo.com/find-a-charger/

Interesting places to start some research on current coverage levels.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:32 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:14 pm

Yea I trying to be fairly clear about my own scenario here vs "rest of the country". I am with you that there are areas where it makes 0 sense. Hell I was in Texas last month and $2.80 gas is still a thing, and there are 0 EV charging spots. But that's not where I live or will live in the foreseeable future. Those pockets will take the longest to switch over.

I don't foresee EV issues during reasonable road trips either. Traversing the country ?! yea the infrastructure mostly exists for Teslas only, but the whole Electrify america + EV go is rapidly building that out also and its now doable in pretty much any EV. For ex a shit ton of walmarts now have 150kw charging ... you get about 3 miles per KW... and if your car is capable (of the quick charging) you can do the math as to how "quickly" that works. No it isn't like a gas station, where it is 2-3 min, but in 15-25min you can get 200-250 miles of "range" into a vehicle, sometimes more.

I have tried so explain how commuting + road tripping works to some of you on here, but I gave up because some just don't want to hear it. It is doable even now to do things, but it requires some planning, and its getting easier day by day.

https://www.electrifyamerica.com/locate-charger/

https://www.evgo.com/find-a-charger/

Interesting places to start some research on current coverage levels.
Oh yeah, it's 100% doable if you live in any metro area, and road tripping is certainly easier in a Tessie versus others. I just thought Matt Farrah's anecdotal experience was pretty interesting, given he is an EV owner and was road tripping in SoCal, arguably the most viable place. I too agree that 20 minutes is perfectly acceptable. Sure, it isn't two minutes, but I find I wander around the gas station taking a piss, buying a drink, etc. for 15 minutes typically anyway. If the charging spots are somewhere interesting (small town, tourist attraction, etc) or useful (like Walmart), it's really a non issue. For me, having to add in planning fuel stops on a road trip is just an inconvenience I'm not sure I'd want to take on.

I feel like a lot of this would be solved simply by Tessie opening up their charging network to others, but :ohwell: