Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:12 pm They’re really great on long drives from my experience.
Really? All of the journalists say they ride like total shit... but I kind of wonder about the truth of that/I'm used to a car that doesn't ride great. My tolerance is pretty high, I actually think the C5 rides fine with my Bilsteins and the JLU rides downright well.
Almost anything is good with good shocks and tarz... but those are two things that most people refuse to spend money on.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:39 pm
D Griff wrote:
Really? All of the journalists say they ride like total shit... but I kind of wonder about the truth of that/I'm used to a car that doesn't ride great. My tolerance is pretty high, I actually think the C5 rides fine with my Bilsteins and the JLU rides downright well.
Almost anything is good with good shocks and tarz... but those are two things that most people refuse to spend money on.
I am certainly a convert to spend whatever is needed for shocks, my C5 ride quality was night and day.
Stock mag ride (probably busted) - 0/7 ride
Stock C6Z shocks - 2/7 ride
DRM Bilsteins - 3.5/7 ride

I still wouldn't say it rides great by any means. It rides pretty well for a sports car, which I'm more than happy with, but I can see where some people who value comfort would be :triggered: .
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:39 pm Almost anything is good with good shocks and tarz... but those are two things that most people refuse to spend money on.
I am certainly a convert to spend whatever is needed for shocks, my C5 ride quality was night and day.

I still wouldn't say it rides great by any means. It rides pretty well for a sports car, which I'm more than happy with, but I can see where some people who value comfort would be :triggered: .
You're still on stiff 200 UTQG Falkens though, right? Dropping down to a PS4S or similar would soften things considerably.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:48 pm
D Griff wrote:

You're still on stiff 200 UTQG Falkens though, right? Dropping down to a PS4S or similar would soften things considerably.
True. I will be putting the Michelin AS3 on over the weekend probably, driving the car up to CT in about a week. They will probably ride worse though because they're runfucks.

I am actually quite happy with the ride now, but I think many "normal" people wouldn't be. That's why I wonder if I'd find the Focus RS perfectly acceptable.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:31 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:12 pm

They’re really great on long drives from my experience.
A fuckus Rs ? How is it great on long drives ? Short range, choppy ride and rubber band tires
Oh, I thought we were talking about MINIs still. :nevermind:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Apex wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:31 pm

A fuckus Rs ? How is it great on long drives ? Short range, choppy ride and rubber band tires
Oh, I thought we were talking about MINIs still. :nevermind:
Nah my thread got derailed :lolgasm:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:48 pm You're still on stiff 200 UTQG Falkens though, right? Dropping down to a PS4S or similar would soften things considerably.
True. I will be putting the Michelin AS3 on over the weekend probably, driving the car up to CT in about a week. They will probably ride worse though because they're runfucks.

I am actually quite happy with the ride now, but I think many "normal" people wouldn't be. That's why I wonder if I'd find the Focus RS perfectly acceptable.
The RS shocks are notoriously terrible. Add in the 19" :ramz: and you're not going to like it on a long drive. Certainly fixable, but it's kind of wacky that it comes from the factory like that. Watching them at autox compared to the Hype R is night and day, the Honderp suspension actually works.

The RS suspension "works" by being so stiff that nothing moves.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:04 pm
D Griff wrote:

The RS shocks are notoriously terrible. Add in the 19" :ramz: and you're not going to like it on a long drive. Certainly fixable, but it's kind of wacky that it comes from the factory like that. Watching them at autox compared to the Hype R is night and day, the Honderp suspension actually works.

I love the Honderp but it seems like there is way more tech in that car to ultimately not work down the line. ALso the 70% torque to the rear wheels in the RS is :neat:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:39 pm
D Griff wrote:
:dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:04 pm The RS shocks are notoriously terrible. Add in the 19" :ramz: and you're not going to like it on a long drive. Certainly fixable, but it's kind of wacky that it comes from the factory like that. Watching them at autox compared to the Hype R is night and day, the Honderp suspension actually works.

I love the Honderp but it seems like there is way more tech in that car to ultimately not work down the line. ALso the 70% torque to the rear wheels in the RS is :neat:
You can fix the RS shocks relatively easily these days, there are both aftermarket and OEM revised options. Easy button is the DSC controller.

https://www.dscsport.com/product/v2-con ... -focus-rs/

Autox guys didn't do it because it's not legal for "stock" class.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:05 pm

You can fix the RS shocks relatively easily these days, there are both aftermarket and OEM revised options. Easy button is the DSC controller.

:word:

I am a ways away from any car buying but good to know there are solutions. I don't really mind spending a bit in the beginning of a car ownershit to "fix" a few things... most cars need this in one way or another.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:53 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:51 pm

:word:

I am a ways away from any car buying but good to know there are solutions. I don't really mind spending a bit in the beginning of a car ownershit to "fix" a few things... most cars need this in one way or another.
:dat: the mini needs 17" wheels IMO. 18"s are way to big for the car.
max225

Exactly 1 year since I got the clown car.
10,240 miles driven
26.4mpg
0 - issues
Still love the car, no rugrats.

Main complaint... SMOL size leads to bumpy AF freeway ride, and other vehicles tend to bully me on the road. :( Other than that it is a :fuckyeah: driving experience with crackles, pops and great brakes and handling. 5/7 would recommend.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:03 pm Exactly 1 year since I got the clown car.
10,240 miles driven
26.4mpg
0 - issues

Main complaint... SMOL size leads to bumpy AF freeway ride, and other vehicles tend to bully me on the road. :( Other than that it is a :fuckyeah: driving experience with crackles, pops and great brakes and handling. 5/7 would recommend.
I'm seriously going to consider one of these as a fun car. I do wish it was better for highway slogs, but that's not it's purpose.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:25 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:03 pm Exactly 1 year since I got the clown car.
10,240 miles driven
26.4mpg
0 - issues

I'm seriously going to consider one of these as a fun car. I do wish it was better for highway slogs, but that's not it's purpose.
Hilarious fun cars, and surprisingly comfy for bigger dudes. 5/7 recommended.
max225

10,240 miles driven
26.4mpg
0 - issues

How are your freeways? lots of overlapping concrete ? Craters? Overpasses?Bridges ?

Those are the things that kill the comfort level on the mini. The refinement + road noise mitigation is excellent in the mini, but the stiff springs+ short wheel base create the issue.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:34 pm
Yep, I've always wanted one. It's actually one of my major regrets when I was in the car game, not having had one yet.

Now that I live in an area with twisty roads, it would be :megusta: to blast around in.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:59 pm
How are your freeways? lots of overlapping concrete ? Craters? Overpasses?Bridges ?

Those are the things that kill the comfort level on the mini. The refinement + road noise mitigation is excellent in the mini, but the stiff springs+ short wheel base create the issue.
In northern MI, it's really a concern of craters and overpasses. Not a ton of concrete up here, but I'd be looking at driving it on 250 mile trips a few times a month, and the last JCW (2009) I drove was not the best on the highway, as you mentioned. I haven't driven a current gen :doe:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:02 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:34 pm

Yep, I've always wanted one. It's actually one of my major regrets when I was in the car game, not having had one yet.

Now that I live in an area with twisty roads, it would be :megusta: to blast around in.
:bruh: you're like 35, not 95.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:02 pm

:bruh: you're like 35, not 95.
Physically, yes. I'm just over buying and selling cars. I'm referring to my fast and loose :plac: days, I wish I had squeaked a MINI in there. I almost bought a Clubman S before my MK6 came up.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Wait :wat: @Detroit You're not in the car game anymore? You left FCA?

PS I just realized I just maxxed Max.....
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:15 pm Wait :wat: @Detroit You're not in the car game anymore? You left FCA?
No, I just mean I don't buy and sell cars with the frequency that I used to, and I don't really have much interest in it anymore.

If I buy a fun car, it's going to be around for a while, so I need to be a bit more picky. I'd love to have something that's fun on twisty roads with decent highway manners that's easy on gas. Right now, I'm thinking something like a JCW MINI or a 500 Abarth. Abarths are cheap AF, so they're probably the leader.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:18 pm
Irish wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:15 pm Wait :wat: @Detroit You're not in the car game anymore? You left FCA?
No, I just mean I don't buy and sell cars with the frequency that I used to, and I don't really have much interest in it anymore.

If I buy a fun car, it's going to be around for a while, so I need to be a bit more picky. I'd love to have something that's fun on twisty roads with decent highway manners that's easy on gas. Right now, I'm thinking something like a JCW MINI or a 500 Abarth. Abarths are cheap AF, so they're probably the leader.
:notsure: I really believe it :lolol: You have had the :jeep: :truk: for like... one year?I don't think this is long enough to truly claim you're done with :plac:

Nice thing is if you buy cheap used cars, it's not that bad of a proposition.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Gotcha
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:18 pm

:notsure: I really believe it :lolol: You have had the :jeep: :truk: for like... one year?I don't think this is long enough to truly claim you're done with :plac:

Nice thing is if you buy cheap used cars, it's not that bad of a proposition.
I could have kept my ZR2 and been perfectly happy with it...lease was up and the buy-out price didn't make much sense. I could EASILY keep my JT for years, and intend on it if again, the buy-out price makes sense. I haven't "replaced" the C5 since I sold it almost a year ago. In past times, I would have spent that money instantly.
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.