Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:26 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:50 am

So far he is not budging on price even though he is 7k off private party kbb in excellent condition 3% of cars according to them ...
He knows what he has. You're buying something of a cult vehicle. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get over the price if history is any guide. The wolf is not a sheep to be shorn.
I got an identical vehicle with slightly more miles for 26k the :manuel: upcharge of 7k is not worth it to me. We shall see next steps.
max225

So per usual I have hit :unicorn: car model snags...

The FJ only had about a 10% take rate on the :manuel: coupled with the fact that 10+ models sold in very low volumes.. 13/15k a year... i am looking a pool of a whopping 5k vehicles nationally...

This is another JCW mini sob story... I guess its time to wait or pucker up and pay 33k for a near decade old car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 am

Non-smoking and no-pets ever in vehicle.
So far he is not budging on price even though he is 7k off private party kbb in excellent condition 3% of cars according to them ...
$33K... :bruh:

I'd :jeep: at that point. It's still an eight year old car with 55K that was probably less than the asking price new.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:27 pm

I'd :jeep: at that point. It's still an eight year old car with 55K that was probably less than the asking price new.
Yea.. but after driving FJs :jeep: 's are a tough sell for me...
The 2 door is too small and useless for an SUV
The 4 door is too expensive for what it is...
A 8 year old FJ drives better than a brand new JL 8 speed vs 5 speed be damned...

I am actually starting to think that the 2.slow is the better motor in the JL. The 3.6 just doesn't work for me in it after the FJ.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:27 pm

A 8 year old FJ drives better than a brand new JL 8 speed vs 5 speed be damned...

I am actually starting to think that the 2.slow is the better motor in the JL. The 3.6 just doesn't work for me in it after the FJ.
Maybe it's worth just :troywax: on the $33K vehicle in that case... I mean, you won't find much else like it, should be pretty depreciation resistant, nothing like that will ever exist again. Maybe you can lie about purchase price and pay less on the tax front? Like... would the DMV question that you bought an 8 year old Toyota for $15k?
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:52 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:34 pm

Maybe it's worth just :troywax: on the $33K vehicle in that case... I mean, you won't find much else like it, should be pretty depreciation resistant, nothing like that will ever exist again. Maybe you can lie about purchase price and pay less on the tax front? Like... would the DMV question that you bought an 8 year old Toyota for $15k?
Had the same thought already... PP may be better. The real issue at hand is the depreciation curve because depending on where you "buy in" it can cost you 2-3 times as much for 2 years for the same vehicle.

Low tier- I.E a properly purchased 150-170k mile FJ 4x4 can be had for 12-13k I highly doubt it would ever dip below 10k. There is just nothing else like it and it is worlds newer/better than an XJ which it most closely competes with. - So far these seem to be driven into the ground... so I am :notsure: I can do it.

A mid tier i.e 18-22k FJ depending on year and miles will likely not dip much either... but here it is hard to make the right call. Low mile 1st gen with the older motor and possibly buckling fenders and blowed up diff, or a higher mile 2010+ model... - I haven't found a decent one in this category yet that hits the color + price box

A high tier. i.e the 25-28k sub 100k mile 2012+ model, which is where I am currently fixated. Some are in really GOOD SHAPE. Like the one in sac.. but it has an auto... and it is at 78k miles... in 2 years that thing will be at most 18-20k... which seems like a gargantuan waste, as it would have depreciated at over $400 a month after tax. - Seems financially stupid to me.

Forum Bro tier . 2012+ Manual + Special color can be anywhere from 30-50k. But I am :notsure: if they are actually selling... or if they just show crazy pricing don't get what they want and keep driving them. 33k is :fullretard: IMO, I can't justify it, and I know it won't be "worth" 33k ... he had it listed for over 20 days... some others @ over 30k are listed for 50+ days... that's just stupidity. IMO. But THEY KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE.
max225

Currently my favorite is the Dogshit one with the blown clutch at 18k.. I can probably deep clean the interior and get the clutch done for 1k... but I would need 3k off that thing. And there is no way the middle eastern saleshole will do it because "the clutch is fine"
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Had the same thought already... PP may be better. The real issue at hand is the depreciation curve because depending on where you "buy in" it can cost you 2-3 times as much for 2 years for the same vehicle.

Low tier- I.E a properly purchased 150-170k mile FJ 4x4 can be had for 12-13k I highly doubt it would ever dip below 10k. There is just nothing else like it and it is worlds newer/better than an XJ which it most closely competes with. - So far these seem to be driven into the ground... so I am :notsure: I can do it.

A mid tier i.e 18-22k FJ depending on year and miles will likely not dip much either... but here it is hard to make the right call. Low mile 1st gen with the older motor and possibly buckling fenders and blowed up diff, or a higher mile 2010+ model... - I haven't found a decent one in this category yet that hits the color + price box

A high tier. i.e the 25-28k sub 100k mile 2012+ model, which is where I am currently fixated. Some are in really GOOD SHAPE. Like the one in sac.. but it has an auto... and it is at 78k miles... in 2 years that thing will be at most 18-20k... which seems like a gargantuan waste, as it would have depreciated at over $400 a month after tax. - Seems financially stupid to me.

Forum Bro tier . 2012+ Manual + Special color can be anywhere from 30-50k. But I am :notsure: if they are actually selling... or if they just show crazy pricing don't get what they want and keep driving them. 33k is :fullretard: IMO, I can't justify it, and I know it won't be "worth" 33k ... he had it listed for over 20 days... some others @ over 30k are listed for 50+ days... that's just stupidity. IMO. But THEY KNOW WHAT THEY HAVE.
:notwrong: That thing is worth $33K like my 328i is "worth" $22K. It's forum spec and someone somewhere wants it and is willing to pay a premium... but if you/I ever went to sell these forum spec vehicles, we'd lose patience three weeks in and let them go for 5-7k less. :disappoint:

Every time I've sold a car I end up with 70% of what it's "worth". Tough pill to swallow with a :plac: habit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:05 pm Currently my favorite is the Dogshit one with the blown clutch at 18k.. I can probably deep clean the interior and get the clutch done for 1k... but I would need 3k off that thing. And there is no way the middle eastern saleshole will do it because "the clutch is fine"
I would probably get that one and just eat the clutch cost/ride it out until it's fully gone.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:08 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:05 pm Currently my favorite is the Dogshit one with the blown clutch at 18k.. I can probably deep clean the interior and get the clutch done for 1k... but I would need 3k off that thing. And there is no way the middle eastern saleshole will do it because "the clutch is fine"
I would probably get that one and just eat the clutch cost/ride it out until it's fully gone.
Dude this clutch was pretty much done... anything above 1/4 throttle = slip town. It would likely be ok to drive for a week or two until i find a decent mechanic to tackle the job for cheap. But other than that it would be quite a :nope: like undertaking as it could leave me stranded.
max225

https://www.premierchryslerdodgejeepram ... GXKW652611

Brand new JL for $31,5k ... this is madness compared to a 33k 8 year old FJ
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Dude this clutch was pretty much done... anything above 1/4 throttle = slip town. It would likely be ok to drive for a week or two until i find a decent mechanic to tackle the job for cheap. But other than that it would be quite a :nope: like undertaking as it could leave me stranded.
Jesus! that fucker must've drives like :stig: which to be expected from a habibi. If you get it, until the clutch is changed, don't start from uphill. I hope the handbrake works on that thing too.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:38 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:14 pm

Jesus! that fucker must've drives like :stig: which to be expected from a habibi. If you get it, until the clutch is changed, don't start from uphill. I hope the handbrake works on that thing too.
It was a car that was in SF its entire life... so I am assuming every day was an uphill start... based on what I can gather clutches last 150-250k miles on these... 63k and :nuke: is :ludacris:
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:41 pm

Likely not.

My :meata: cost $5k on the bill of sale. :scrooge:
Lets say I claim it is worth 10k, that's about 1k in taxes... so 34k ... I don't know something about this just doesn't jive with me well over 30k in cash for something that is nearly a decade old... is just :wrong: when it was at most 32-38k NEW
max225

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/threads ... ho.729576/
For sale for 5+ months... :wtf: it seems like this is air cooled level of :fullretard: when it comes to these..
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

As DFD's leading :scrooge: you dropping 33k on a 10 year old FJ is :ludacris:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I dont see the value for such old stuff over 18 to 20k tops. 33k for a toy is :troywax:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:44 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:38 pm

It was a car that was in SF its entire life... so I am assuming every day was an uphill start... based on what I can gather clutches last 150-250k miles on these... 63k and :nuke: is :ludacris:
Yeah, that shouldn't happen this early at all, unless the owner apparently enjoys burning clutch :lol:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:25 pm As DFD's leading :scrooge: you dropping 33k on a 10 year old FJ is :ludacris:
I would do it if it was 33k in 2 years ... but there is no way in hell that would be the case ... I drive it to 75k... miles up from the current 55k, and the dealers now are selling similar auto ones for 26k pre negotiating... I’d easily lose 15k on this transaction in 2 years... as no one in their right mind will give more than 16/18k On trade for that thing . which Is Why I am not pulling the trigger ... just pointing out the :math: for those curious ...
max225

https://www.southcountychryslerdodgejee ... 0b281d.htm

A 2 Door 2020 is around 28.3k... which is nearly what an FJ runs with 80k miles... UGH.

Does anyone know if the Wrangler has Keyless entry at least standard? :aincare: about the rest. I can't deal with using a KEY to do shit.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto ... 06659.html

Just clean this bad boy up. Who cares about a salvage title on a soft roading you.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:51 pm https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto ... 06659.html

Just clean this bad boy up. Who cares about a salvage title on a soft roading you.
So I am looking at a non salvage with 1/3 of the miles for 18... I am not sure how this makes any sense. This is a 4 figure rig.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:00 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:51 pm https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto ... 06659.html

So I am looking at a non salvage with 1/3 of the miles for 18... I am not sure how this makes any sense. This is a 4 figure rig.
Trolling brozki.

There is actually a nice looking white one with a little bit of work done that I’ll link. Original color was blue, but this dude wrapped it white when he bought it a few years back.
SAWCE

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto ... 75194.html

Truthfully I haven’t been looking at the links you’ve posted, so not sure how these San Diego offerings stack up against them. But if you find something here that’s decent it’s a quick flight and easy trek back home.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:46 pm https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto ... 75194.html

Truthfully I haven’t been looking at the links you’ve posted, so not sure how these San Diego offerings stack up against them. But if you find something here that’s decent it’s a quick flight and easy trek back home.
SD is in fact in my search radius... but I haven’t seen anything decent down there yet. There was a forum bro down there ... but it wasn’t the best dildo. Appreciate the look out.

The one you linked is a 2wd bromobile :doe: that’s priced about 8k too high.