max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

This one is really nice! Now that I know it has suicide read doors I want a third car again. Need a mid engine project too so technically I NEED four cars.
max225

Tarspin wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:15 pm This one is really nice! Now that I know it has suicide read doors I want a third car again. Need a mid engine project too so technically I NEED four cars.
I know people say the back seat is “useless” but I disagree, if front seats aren’t all the way back they work just fine, and it’s pretty easy to get in and out. There is a ton of head, shoulder room as well.

And yes everyone needs 4 cars :)
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I dig it
max225

Test drove a 2 door jeep with no options. Other than ac hd and automatic. $35k msrp which is insane for something that doesn’t have power windows.

First thought
Honestly options are sort of pointless on this thing, the shit dash is fine. The non 8.4 system is just fine

Second thought
Honestly a FJ drives better...
Jl has more road noise, bumpier ride, and way less interior space and head room...

and less torque down low ... the fj is much easier to drive straight as well. The steering is much better than a jl.

I do prefer the looks of a Jeep :doe:

Hmm
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:24 pm Test drove a 2 door jeep with no options. Other than ac hd and automatic. $35k msrp which is insane for something that doesn’t have power windows.

First thought
Honestly options are sort of pointless on this thing, the shit dash is fine. The non 8.4 system is just fine

Second thought
Jl has more road noise, bumpier ride, and way less interior space and head room...

and less torque down low ... the fj is much easier to drive straight as well. The steering is much better than a jl.

Hmm
I'd go with the FJ. You seem to like them, and they're going to retain value just as well as the JL. Hardly anything will break on it while you own it. And it drives better. What would you need the added capability for? A FJ can go 90% of the places a Wrongler can. It can certainly do any national park road.

Get the FJ, drive out to Canyonlands, and camp for a few nights while you drive the river road. Break it in the right way.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:37 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:24 pm Test drove a 2 door jeep with no options. Other than ac hd and automatic. $35k msrp which is insane for something that doesn’t have power windows.

First thought

Second thought

Hmm
I'd go with the FJ. You seem to like them, and they're going to retain value just as well as the JL. Hardly anything will break on it while you own it. And it drives better. What would you need the added capability for? A FJ can go 90% of the places a Wrongler can. It can certainly do any national park road.

Get the FJ, drive out to Canyonlands, and camp for a few nights while you drive the river road. Break it in the right way.
Fj is more capable than wrangler non rubicunt. Which is all I need. It’s prob more than I need as is
Johnny_P

Also Re: ”nicest 77k vehicle I’ve driven”

I noticed this with 4Runners as well. Which are basically the same. Every single one I drove was exactly the same with the exception of wonky brakes on one. Didn’t matter the mileage 15k, 95k, 50k, they were all dead silent rattle free and smooth as hell. They are well made vehicles.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:02 am
max225 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:11 pm
Fj is more capable than wrangler non rubicunt. Which is all I need. It’s prob more than I need as is
I think the FJ strikes a great balance for you. A bit more room than a 2 door Wrongler, better driveability, and gives you the sense of something different that you seem to be looking for.
The 13k place was closed yesterday ... didn’t get to drive a high miler ... so that sort of snagged things up
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 am Also Re: ”nicest 77k vehicle I’ve driven”

I noticed this with 4Runners as well. Which are basically the same. Every single one I drove was exactly the same with the exception of wonky brakes on one. Didn’t matter the mileage 15k, 95k, 50k, they were all dead silent rattle free and smooth as hell. They are well made vehicles.
I now drove 3 now. 2007, 2012 blue , 2012 sand. The last one was by far the best one. Dare I say Zillspec minus a small chip in the windshield. Which they all seem to have. First one had 3, 2nd one had 2.

First one felt pretty worn out though with 155k miles. It certainly needed shocks and tires.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:15 am
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:37 am Also Re: ”nicest 77k vehicle I’ve driven”

I now drove 3 now. 2007, 2012 blue , 2012 sand. The last one was by far the best one. Dare I say Zillspec minus a small chip in the windshield. Which they all seem to have. First one had 3, 2nd one had 2.

First one felt pretty worn out though with 155k miles. It certainly needed shocks and tires.

This can make anything seem worn out.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:25 am
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:15 am

The mirror caps were destroyed by the sun, car
Smelled a bit of smoke, there was dirt on the headliner.
, steering wheel was used up. The rear trunk was scuffed up to shit. The car also had a bit of a driveline jab when coming to a stop, seems like it’s an easy fix with a lube.

But yea ... tires and shocks are an easy update tho
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:25 am [/size][/b]

, steering wheel was used up.
The rear trunk was scuffed up to shit. The car also had a bit of a driveline jab when coming to a stop, seems like it’s an easy fix with a lube.

Fk all that beater stuff. That's why you work hard. Nobody is advocating getting a new car but people trash stuff because they are the 99% (of car owners, no economic dig) and you can usually find minty used cars, especially in this state.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:52 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:23 pm

, steering wheel was used up.
The rear trunk was scuffed up to shit. The car also had a bit of a driveline jab when coming to a stop, seems like it’s an easy fix with a lube.

Fk all that beater stuff. That's why you work hard. Nobody is advocating getting a new car but people trash stuff because they are the 99% (of car owners, no economic dig) and you can usually find minty used cars, especially in this state.
Yea... Zillspec seems to cost 2x though... I have to say driving the new JLU was eye opening after the FJ. 35k for a new bare bones 2 door with roll up windows... 26k for a pretty mint FJ seems to makes sense
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The FJ didn't get the roll down rear window did it? The half door windows are fixed too as well correct?
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:06 pm The FJ didn't get the roll down rear window did it? The half door windows are fixed too as well correct?
Correct. Only front two windows roll down
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:27 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:06 pm The FJ didn't get the roll down rear window did it? The half door windows are fixed too as well correct?
No pop outs for the half doors? That cuts down on buffeting in my truck and increases airflow big time. Would have been a nice addition especially if power operated. Not sure how much you care though seeing as where you'd be taking this is probably fairly dusty? Don't forget the Dupont interior protection
max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:27 pm

No pop outs for the half doors? That cuts down on buffeting in my truck and increases airflow big time. Would have been a nice addition especially if power operated. Not sure how much you care though seeing as where you'd be taking this is probably fairly dusty? Don't forget the Dupont interior protection
I don’t care all that much to be honest. I rarely drive with windows down. Also “blind spots” are not really an issue for me.

For me the issues are price ... 80% of msrp after 8 years is tough to swallow. But perhaps it’ll stay expensive ... but I am :notsure: I know a 13k ones will likely not dip below 10k...

Xjs are a good reference point. Clean ones with under 120k miles are 10k
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Range Rover
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:41 pmRange Rover
:lol:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

*laughs in Middle East*

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I like the FJ... to me, you can't really go wrong with that or a cheaper new JL. Pick which one you like more. The ownershit costs will be a coin flip. JL is new, convertible, manual available versus FJ unique, a bit more space (than two door), and Toyota reliability. As long as the 4X4 craze continues, they are both pretty safe buys compared to most vehicles.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 pm I like the FJ... to me, you can't really go wrong with that or a cheaper new JL. Pick which one you like more. The ownershit costs will be a coin flip. JL is new, convertible, manual available versus FJ unique, a bit more space (than two door), and Toyota reliability. As long as the 4X4 craze continues, they are both pretty safe buys compared to most vehicles.
My issue is there is no “cheap jl” I think I would
Probably go hard top, soft top likely won’t work for me. That means 40k otd... way more than the FJ. A lot of price creep.

The small 2 door is just quite impractical I also prefer the looks of a 4 door. And it would have a trunk vs a joke. I’ll see if I can get some sort of lease deal perhaps. As I have no loooooong term ownershit. And miles aren’t super key for me... as I would have two vehicles
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:53 pm I like the FJ... to me, you can't really go wrong with that or a cheaper new JL. Pick which one you like more. The ownershit costs will be a coin flip. JL is new, convertible, manual available versus FJ unique, a bit more space (than two door), and Toyota reliability. As long as the 4X4 craze continues, they are both pretty safe buys compared to most vehicles.
My issue is there is no “cheap jl” I think I would
Probably go hard top, soft top likely won’t work for me. That means 40k otd... way more than the FJ. A lot of price creep.

The small 2 door is just quite impractical I also prefer the looks of a 4 door. And it would have a trunk vs a joke. I’ll see if I can get some sort of lease deal perhaps. As I have no loooooong term ownershit. And miles aren’t super key for me... as I would have two vehicles
I have a really hard time believing resale of a 2 door crank window manual locks tent roof poverty edition JL would be a breeze at higher than original MSRP.
max225

So Test drove another 07 with 166k miles.
Drove nicer than the other 07... but had aftermarket exhaust. Same issues ... I can’t do something this old.
Faded headlights
Semi torn seat
Stained headliner
Fady paint