Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:14 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:06 pm 4C is a good pick if you actually like driving it. I wouldn't expect that you'd use the thing :doe:

It's tiny inside and loud with no trunk.
Yeah and if your not a skinny dude you better do yoga to be limber enough to get in. Once I was in it was neat to drive but I was not looking forward to getting out.

Some podcast recently said it's the most beautiful, useless turd that they can't sell.
How was it to drive ? Yea the size may present an issue
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:06 pm
max225 wrote:
rarity is key in any car outside of a wrangler and taco. I think my next car will have to be rare to avoid these 5 figure depreciation hits
4C is a good pick if you actually like driving it. I wouldn't expect that you'd use the thing :doe:

It may be just a weekender ... just looking for fun with little to no depreciation.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:06 pm 4C is a good pick if you actually like driving it. I wouldn't expect that you'd use the thing :doe:

It may be just a weekender ... just looking for fun with little to no depreciation.
:word:

Like :waxer: was saying :doe: it's probably useless for anyone but a single skinny dude.

You can get a nice boxster for <$20k and have a way more useful car that you can actually take out for a weekend with :tits:
max225

Just pulled on a modded to shit b8 s4, limo tints all around yellow fogs, slammed, some sort of shit loud exhaust. He was tailgating me on the on ramp... even though there are cars up front.

Went 30>90 put 4length on him. I let off the gas went down to 85 he passes me at me at 100 with the Ricer flyby... prob thinking he is the shit. :lolgasm:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:18 pm
max225 wrote:
:word:

Like :waxer: was saying :doe: it's probably useless for anyone but a single skinny dude.

You can get a nice boxster for <$20k and have a way more useful car that you can actually take out for a weekend with :tits:
If I am doing that I will be doing the last gen, and that’s a good point :tits: approves of the poorsche as well. The question is pdk or manuel, and that or Jeep.... can’t justify 100k... :mindblown:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Viper
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:21 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:18 pm :word:

If I am doing that I will be doing the last gen, and that’s a good point :tits: approves of the poorsche as well. The question is pdk or manuel, and that or Jeep.... can’t justify 100k... :mindblown:
Obviously I would usually prefer manual, but I do not hate my PDK at all, in fact I'm some areas it is very much the more preferred option. The PDK is FAST and seamless.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:47 pmViper
Thinking about it errrday. But a cockster is way cheaper.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

981 Boxster is a really pretty car. I think it would be a perfect CA weekend driver. Hell that would even be nice up here twice a year.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:34 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/d/ ... 64572.html

Alfa Romeo 4c could be epic, main concern ... reliability
Also another clowncar.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:47 pmViper
Coxster doesn't look like a giant dick or sport a giant dick V10, brah. It's got nothing on the Viper.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:31 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 4:01 pm

Coxster doesn't look like a giant dick or sport a giant dick V10, brah. It's got nothing on the Viper.
It’s got a better interior, more usable power, better DD handing and a better badge
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:56 pm

It’s got a better interior, more usable power, better DD handing and a better badge
Yeah, as much as I love/hated the Viper and would've loved a 5th gen GTS, the car screams 12 year old trapped in a 50+ year old's body cruising the high schools for chics that probably bought it 4th hand with a salvage title.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:43 pm

Yeah, as much as I love/hated the Viper and would've loved a 5th gen GTS, the car screams 12 year old trapped in a 50+ year old's body cruising the high schools for chics that probably bought it 4th hand with a salvage title.
On the flip side they are about 70-80k used, so it keeps the crap out... however they have terrible stigma.
Am I a wannabe doctor or a monster drinking roid monkey with 3 ex wives and a insatiable desire for wakeboarding and cutting the mufflers off.

Btw I just got another “ Oh you got a mini, how do you fit in that ?” From my cousin that I haven’t seen in a few months, today. :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ehhhh. If you’re willing to be judged like an offshore powerboat owner everywhere you go the Viper has a certain cachet few Porsches can match
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

So my buddy is selling his xj, I checked it out for him
Already before he got it. 0 rust full history 0 real issues ... should I do It ?! 99 with 120 k miles ... around 6k....

Main issues are suspension/wheels/tires will need doing ... the Tires are too big.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Those XJs are seriously capable with mild modifications. Tiny inside though. If you fits you sits?
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:31 pm Image

So my buddy is selling his xj, I checked it out for him
Already before he got it. 0 rust full history 0 real issues ... should I do It ?! 99 with 120 k miles ... around 6k....

Main issues are suspension/wheels/tires will need doing ... the Tires are too big.
Oh damn I should buy this
Johnny_P

Max, the suspension can't be that expensive. Wheels/tires, you can probably straight trade on a forum as those Wrongler wheels are desirable. Or sell them on forum, buy some cragars which are cheap and super easy to re-sell if you decide to later on.

Your main issues will just be old car shit, like wiring or PCV valve or whatever other little bullshit that stops working and is $2.25 for parts and 4 hours of labor to change out.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:55 am Max, the suspension can't be that expensive. Wheels/tires, you can probably straight trade on a forum as those Wrongler wheels are desirable. Or sell them on forum, buy some cragars which are cheap and super easy to re-sell if you decide to later on.

Your main issues will just be old car shit, like wiring or PCV valve or whatever other little bullshit that stops working and is $2.25 for parts and 4 hours of labor to change out.
Yea the suspension has actually been done. The car was owned by our mutual co worker who is an avid off roader. He “built” the car for his daughter but as expected she didn’t really care for it so he sort of ran out of interest as it needed “12k” in Upgrades to get where he wanted to get it...

I’ll need to dig up my texts from last year where he describes the list of mods.

The wheels/tires are really awkward looking imo and that’s a lot of wheelin and Dillin to get it right. I’m seriously debating it though. I am a bit concerned about “old car shit” as getting stranded in the snow or desert is a far more likely scenario in that thing say ... due to a broken fuel pump than a newer vehicle. That’s what I’d say is the biggest drawback, but I can’t imagine losing my ass on this thing long term.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

That’s sweet. I’d do it.
max225

Also this is the “Low end” model Jeep. No pw no tach... ugh. Still tempted ...
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:01 am Image

1998 is outside of the infamous "cracked cylinder head" years. Meaning it COULD have the issue but it's far less likely to because the castings changed to the shitty ones sometime in 1999. Making the 98 more desirable to enthusiasts.

Gauges, you can probably buy a cluster off fleabay if you care. If not then who cares because if its auto it doesn't matter really.

Rams/tires would take maybe 2 weeks to change. They will go fast. You can probably find someone who would just trade.

You're right on the getting stranded bit. I doubt it would strand you but the chances are certainly higher than they'd be in a 2020 Wrongler. Seals, vac hoses, wiring, etc all suspect on older vehicles just the way it goes. These are "reliable" vehicles in that they can take a ton of abuse, but #oldcarshit still applies.

Honestly the biggest problem with these are the high theft rates. They're easy as shit to break into and hotwire. You'd probably want a hidden fuel pump and starter kill switch and/or a Club thing for the steering wheel.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:41 am
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:01 am Image

1998 is outside of the infamous "cracked cylinder head" years. Meaning it COULD have the issue but it's far less likely to because the castings changed to the shitty ones sometime in 1999. Making the 98 more desirable to enthusiasts.

Gauges, you can probably buy a cluster off fleabay if you care. If not then who cares because if its auto it doesn't matter really.

Rams/tires would take maybe 2 weeks to change. They will go fast. You can probably find someone who would just trade.

You're right on the getting stranded bit. I doubt it would strand you but the chances are certainly higher than they'd be in a 2020 Wrongler. Seals, vac hoses, wiring, etc all suspect on older vehicles just the way it goes. These are "reliable" vehicles in that they can take a ton of abuse, but #oldcarshit still applies.

Honestly the biggest problem with these are the high theft rates. They're easy as shit to break into and hotwire. You'd probably want a hidden fuel pump and starter kill switch and/or a Club thing for the steering wheel.
I live behind a gate ... not overly worried about that aspect.

Oldcar shit is real scary, it’s as old as the crown Vic and that I stopped trusting that car about 5 years ago... granted the crown Vic has 3x the miles but it also had all maintenance done by me on time etc. And as you mentioned shit just breaks, I can wrench on most things. But having it be a constant nag would become annoying.

As with the crown Vic ... parts are dirt cheap though. My buddy was telling me it was only getting around 12 mpg though.... which is troubling ... I’m assuming taking the roof rack off and putting normal tires on it would make it more livable .... that’s not sustainable in Cali
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:47 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:41 am

I live behind a gate ... not overly worried about that aspect.

Oldcar shit is real scary, it’s as old as the crown Vic and that I stopped trusting that car about 5 years ago... granted the crown Vic has 3x the miles but it also had all maintenance done by me on time etc. And as you mentioned shit just breaks, I can wrench on most things. But having it be a constant nag would become annoying.

As with the crown Vic ... parts are dirt cheap though. My buddy was telling me it was only getting around 12 mpg though.... which is troubling ... I’m assuming taking the roof rack off and putting normal tires on it would make it more livable .... that’s not sustainable in Cali
Tires are likely destroying the MPG. The four-oh was never fuel efficient in any aspect of the term. It could need a tune up, spark plugs, O2 sensors, etc.