Soviet EV and taco chronicles + future ponderings about Fendie

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Tarspin wrote:
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:57 pm Uh... yeah, and it takes money to make money. Pretty sure if you took the cost into consideration the percentages aren't that far off. It would be like saying if you have $1M in the bank you made so much more money on your interest earning checking than someone with $10K.

Anywhere else in the country that isn't also bonkers, you can have a job and buy a house inside a year if you go cheap on spending. Here? many people save for 10 years to get a house they really can't afford and the down payment is more than the average house price in the USA.
This is the same old story in Toronto as well, it's naive to say you get free money by owning real estate. Being able to attain a loan and a job that can pay for that loan requires a great deal of effort, as is always the down payment which needs to be saved for well a person works and pays bills which obviously includes rent. I think by the time you get over that hump you've earned the right to make a few bucks whether that money gets put into property, the stock market, or a business venture. The rhetoric kind of gets old eventually.
So basically rich people deserve higher incomes because it takes work to get rich? :yeahok:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 pm
Tarspin wrote:
This is the same old story in Toronto as well, it's naive to say you get free money by owning real estate. Being able to attain a loan and a job that can pay for that loan requires a great deal of effort, as is always the down payment which needs to be saved for well a person works and pays bills which obviously includes rent. I think by the time you get over that hump you've earned the right to make a few bucks whether that money gets put into property, the stock market, or a business venture. The rhetoric kind of gets old eventually.
So basically rich people deserve higher incomes because it takes work to get rich? :yeahok:
You know what? Feeling sorry for yourself or angry at others never fixed anyone's situation. You're not getting any younger and the time to help yourself is now, you can't afford to wait any longer.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 pm
Tarspin wrote:
Basically, rich people have two incomes. 1. Job, 2. Cash sitting on the sidelines (could be plus or minus unless it goes into a GIC)
troyguitar

Tarspin wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:22 pm So basically rich people deserve higher incomes because it takes work to get rich? :yeahok:
Basically, rich people have two incomes. 1. Job, 2. Cash sitting on the sidelines (could be plus or minus unless it goes into a GIC)
Why should you get a higher percentage return merely because you have more starting capital? That's the issue. Compound that for a decade or more and you are now living in a different universe from the plebs, completely unreachable.

Of course as :225: has said, those opportunities are over so if you are not rich yet then you are fucked.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:12 pm
Tarspin wrote:
Why should you get a higher percentage return merely because you have more starting capital? That's the issue. Compound that for a decade or more and you are now living in a different universe from the plebs, completely unreachable.

Of course as :225: has said, those opportunities are over so if you are not rich yet then you are fucked.
Better investment opportunities, it's the nature of things to have higher worth if they are harder to obtain. Like platinum vs Iron. :iono:

Re the :225: point, he's right for a certain timeframe, given a longer timeframe and it's a different story again. Timing markets is a skill that also pays, the better a person is at it the more they get paid.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

It would be nice to be able to bitch about the fact that we’re paying double for gas compared to someone in Texas or 50% more than anywhere else in the country, without starting a pissing contest.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

max225 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 am It would be nice to be able to bitch about the fact that we’re paying double for gas compared to someone in Texas or 50% more than anywhere else in the country, without starting a pissing contest.
Impossible.

You deserve to pay 10x more than anyone else because you work hard.

Pay your fair share you bastard.
max225

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:12 am
max225 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:57 am It would be nice to be able to bitch about the fact that we’re paying double for gas compared to someone in Texas or 50% more than anywhere else in the country, without starting a pissing contest.
Impossible.

You deserve to pay 10x more than anyone else because you work hard.

Pay your fair share you bastard.
Every damn time :disgust:
troyguitar

max225 wrote:It would be nice to be able to bitch about the fact that we’re paying double for gas compared to someone in Texas or 50% more than anywhere else in the country, without starting a pissing contest.
Fucking take your million dollars of :haus: profit and move if you hate it so much. Nothing is stopping you from fixing your situation. In other words:

You know what? Feeling sorry for yourself or angry at others never fixed anyone's situation. You're not getting any younger and the time to help yourself is now, you can't afford to wait any longer.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:59 pm
max225 wrote:It would be nice to be able to bitch about the fact that we’re paying double for gas compared to someone in Texas or 50% more than anywhere else in the country, without starting a pissing contest.
Fucking take your million dollars of :haus: profit and move if you hate it so much. Nothing is stopping you from fixing your situation. In other words:

Nah I have to work so that I can move later. I can’t make the same amount elsewhere. But the increased taxes and shit like this gas situation is really starting to eat away at the pay gap rapidly.

Water 3x what others pay
Food 20-50% more what others pay, thanks to the Cali laws surrounding animals
Electricity 2x what others pay
Garbage 2x what others pay
Taxes on income some of the highest
Prop taxes low but house values kill it because you still pay 15k a year on the average house that isn’t tax deductible, the taxes are a mortgage elsewhere
No credit for trading in car
Sales tax, some of the highest in the nation
Gas we discussed already
Rent is close to NY prices, some of the highest in nation

Going out is comparable, restaurants and bars are in line with averages for the most part, it’s the sole outlier.

That’s not insignificant and as I mentioned the house price increases are irrelevant at this point because you have to LIVE somewhere... so one is not necessarily better off other than :unicorn: living sitch, which is currently fading into oblivion.
max225

Went to fleet week and took the mini as opposed to uber or whatever which was a nightmare. Fun fact In SF, if you have a small car like the mini you get essentially “mini only” parking spots in between driveways. 5/7 parked right near by vs “donating” $75 for public parking. Yes that’s how much they charge now.

Still really digging the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar

Small cars are the best.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:43 pm :truk: :truk: :truk: are the best.
:dat:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:43 pm Small cars are the best.
As much as I like straight line power. Having “only” 2850 lbs and sub 160” to toss around is great fun. Quite a different experience from the bigger car as you have so much more “road” to play with.

Road to car ratio allows for major hooning... Miata would be epic for that sort of thing too.

If you don’t need to lug around 7 extended family members smaller is better :triggered: :wrong:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

:dat: unless I have a family of perhaps 3 kids, or constantly have people in the car or whatever, I feel like dailying a car like an exbroder is quite overkill imo. I'm also looking at mini's too.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:29 pm
:dat: unless I have a family of perhaps 3 kids, or constantly have people in the car or whatever, I feel like dailying a car like an exbroder is quite overkill imo. I'm also looking at mini's too.
Kids fit great behind normal sized people in the back. Not behind DFD linebackers. I can’t put anyone behind me period. But I can comfortably seat behind the azn when she is driving
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:34 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:43 pm :truk: :truk: :truk: are the best.
:csb:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

:hai:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:34 pm Image

Went to fleet week and took the mini as opposed to uber or whatever which was a nightmare. Fun fact In SF, if you have a small car like the mini you get essentially “mini only” parking spots in between driveways. 5/7 parked right near by vs “donating” $75 for public parking. Yes that’s how much they charge now.

Still really digging the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:fuckyeah:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:46 pm
Tarspin wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:34 pm

:lickit:
wap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:53 am
wap wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:46 pm

:zing:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:19 am
Tarspin wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:53 am

:zing:
:jimp:
max225

Is there anything else besides Tapatalk that can be used for pics? Their recent app update is terrible.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:21 pm Is there anything else besides Tapatalk that can be used for pics? Their recent app update is terrible.
I use google photos. The process is a bit of a pain, but it's really not bad once you get the hang of it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.