Barneys Track Car(MK4 R32).. How do i drive this?

Strut your greasy stuff!
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Ordered some G-Loc street pads and the cooling system parts. They should be here next week and I will be able to fix my VW.

Does anyone have recommendations on wheel cleaners and brushes?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

That's shit in the purple bottle at all auto stores. Any wheel brush
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:20 am Ordered some G-Loc street pads and the cooling system parts. They should be here next week and I will be able to fix my VW.

I actually prefer a rag to a brush... takes forever with a brush versus one wipe with a rag clears ze dust. I also just normally use the wash bucket after washing the body of the car versus wheel cleaner, but I do have some of that as well.
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:54 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:20 am Ordered some G-Loc street pads and the cooling system parts. They should be here next week and I will be able to fix my VW.

I actually prefer a rag to a brush... takes forever with a brush versus one wipe with a rag clears ze dust. I also just normally use the wash bucket after washing the body of the car versus wheel cleaner, but I do have some of that as well.
I mean maybe a rag is quicker. but ive got a billion tiny holes to clean.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:31 am

You could remove the wheels, clean them really thoroughly, then wax them and subsequent dustings will clean off a little easier.
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:20 pm

You could remove the wheels, clean them really thoroughly, then wax them and subsequent dustings will clean off a little easier.
Not a bad idea. The car could probably go for a solid wash too. I just need to get some vinyl safe cleaners and a cool weekend. Im not washing and waxing the car at 105 temps.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I actually just went to that NGP for my 2nd DSG service, since the VA one is booked till October as well as other shops, and I only had to pay $360 for it.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Barnes93cb

Small update on the R32.

CEL came on a while back for coolant system inefficient. I order a new thermostat, housing, and coolant temp sensor. Then the car sat around a while. I went to do the job last weekend and realized I forgot to get coolant. Made an order for more. And swapped out the temp sensor real quick since it would only leak a few drops during the job. Car isnt fixed totally. But its one step closer.

I also ordered a new drivers seat since no amount of dieting will allow my shoulders to fit in the car. That is somewhere in Ohio on its way to me. Im excited to finally fit in the car and have it running at peak.

Im going to look for some Texas track days this spring and see if I cant get some seat time. Ive also convinced a few coworkers to get their cars fixed up so we can go racing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 pm Small update on the R32.

CEL came on a while back for coolant system inefficient. I order a new thermostat, housing, and coolant temp sensor. Then the car sat around a while. I went to do the job last weekend and realized I forgot to get coolant. Made an order for more. And swapped out the temp sensor real quick since it would only leak a few drops during the job. Car isnt fixed totally. But its one step closer.

I also ordered a new drivers seat since no amount of dieting will allow my shoulders to fit in the car. That is somewhere in Ohio on its way to me. Im excited to finally fit in the car and have it running at peak.

Im going to look for some Texas track days this spring and see if I cant get some seat time. Ive also convinced a few coworkers to get their cars fixed up so we can go racing.
:nice:

What seat did you end up going with?
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:32 pm Small update on the R32.

I went simple and for a seat I knew my mounts would fit. Sparco Sprint L.

Plus the sprint was comfortable other than my shoulders not fitting properly.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:16 am
D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 am

:neat:

I looove my Sparco seat, it was even comfy on multi hour drives. Personally I find a very aggressive, fitted, supportive seat to be more comfy for driving than a flat one.

My QRT-R is epic but kinda :waxer: and def a skinny dude's seat, I'm 6'2", 190 and I don't think I'd want to be much bigger in it.
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:16 am

:neat:

I looove my Sparco seat, it was even comfy on multi hour drives. Personally I find a very aggressive, fitted, supportive seat to be more comfy for driving than a flat one.

My QRT-R is epic but kinda :waxer: and def a skinny dude's seat, I'm 6'2", 190 and I don't think I'd want to be much bigger in it.
My hips are a bit tight because im fat. But my shoulders are like 4 inches too wide to ever fit. It wont happen.
Barnes93cb

Installed a new fat boy seat in my r32. Now my shoulders fit properly. It’s so nice.

Also signed up for my first track day. I guess now it really is going to be a racecar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 pm Installed a new fat boy seat in my r32. Now my shoulders fit properly. It’s so nice.

Also signed up for my first track day. I guess now it really is going to be a racecar.

yassssss
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 pm Installed a new fat boy seat in my r32. Now my shoulders fit properly. It’s so nice.

yassssss
And apparently my boss might deny my high risk activity request.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:13 am

yassssss
:wtf:
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

yassssss
Am assuming this is a military thing?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-230505-Whe ... 187&sr=8-6

Buy this. First round you spray your wheels and hose off and get the bulk of the shit off. Then get a rag and some car soap and finish.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Well hello fellow Mk4 R32 owner.

Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:39 pm

Am assuming this is a military thing?
Yes. Im currently injured from my motorcycle crash back in September. But im almost healed.

However he can use that to justify me not driving in the event.
Barnes93cb

stripethree wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:37 pm Well hello fellow Mk4 R32 owner. Image

How long have you had one? Sorry im so absent here I dont track everything. Whats done to it? Build thread?
Barnes93cb

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 am How long have you had one? Sorry im so absent here I dont track everything. Whats done to it? Build thread?
I bought it new in Maryland. I don't have a build thread, the latest update I posted was over here.

The major things it currently has beyond the KW V3s coming - Peloquin diff up front, HPP orange, front and rear H&R bars (though I am toying with pulling the front), GAIC, custom single exit exhaust to accommodate a tow hitch. I run 17x9 Team Dynamics wheels, 1 set for road and 1 for track and I have some 17x8s with snows for rallyx.

I promise I'm not on (too high) a high horse when I say that I have done everything with this car. It's probably done 100 autox events, maybe 30ish rallyx events, at least 14 days combined at VIR, Buttonwillow, Summit Point (Shenandoah Circuit), H2R south of Austin. I've driven it across the country and it's been to the Tail of the Dragon. There is a grill mod on VWVortex named for me.

I'll throw some advice for you in the track thread since you asked questions and keep an eye on this one if I can be of any help. The setup looks solid at a glance of the list you posted.
Barnes93cb

stripethree wrote:
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:16 am How long have you had one? Sorry im so absent here I dont track everything. Whats done to it? Build thread?
I bought it new in Maryland. I don't have a build thread, the latest update I posted was over here.

The major things it currently has beyond the KW V3s coming - Peloquin diff up front, HPP orange, front and rear H&R bars (though I am toying with pulling the front), GAIC, custom single exit exhaust to accommodate a tow hitch. I run 17x9 Team Dynamics wheels, 1 set for road and 1 for track and I have some 17x8s with snows for rallyx.

I promise I'm not on (too high) a high horse when I say that I have done everything with this car. It's probably done 100 autox events, maybe 30ish rallyx events, at least 14 days combined at VIR, Buttonwillow, Summit Point (Shenandoah Circuit), H2R south of Austin. I've driven it across the country and it's been to the Tail of the Dragon. There is a grill mod on VWVortex named for me.

I'll throw some advice for you in the track thread since you asked questions and keep an eye on this one if I can be of any help. The setup looks solid at a glance of the list you posted.
I appreciate the info. I’d love to pick your brain. I’m new to driving at this level. And still pretty new to the r32.

I’m loving this car so far. I’m sure I’ll look like a fool going to my first track day in a car this built. But I’ll do my best to listen to my instructor.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:05 pm
stripethree wrote: I bought it new in Maryland. I don't have a build thread, the latest update I posted was over here.

I appreciate the info. I’d love to pick your brain. I’m new to driving at this level. And still pretty new to the r32.

I’m loving this car so far. I’m sure I’ll look like a fool going to my first track day in a car this built. But I’ll do my best to listen to my instructor.

It's NBD, there are newbies at every track day ever. Just don't put you/your instructor's life at risk and you'll be all good.