Barneys Track Car(MK4 R32).. How do i drive this?

Strut your greasy stuff!
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

D Griff wrote:It's NBD, there are newbies at every track day ever. Just don't put you/your instructor's life at risk and you'll be all good.
This. Solid advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Thanks guys. I appreciate the reassurance.

My goal is to go out there and have fun. Realizing ive never been on track and only participated in 3 autocross runs before I am not the most experienced. I think the instruction will greatly help me with my limits and understanding the car better.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 am Thanks guys. I appreciate the reassurance.

My goal is to go out there and have fun. Realizing ive never been on track and only participated in 3 autocross runs before I am not the most experienced. I think the instruction will greatly help me with my limits and understanding the car better.
The instructor will have better advice than me... but normally any time I'm at a new to me track, I will take the first session at 70-80%, get re-acclimated to the car, learn where the flag stations are, start to get a feel for the track's line, etc. By the end of the day you'll start getting more comfortable.

If you can, do multiple days at the same track. I recently went to VIR for the first time and day one it was a bit scary, running in HPDE2 with NASA on a track I've never experienced. Instructors helped me out and by the end of day 2 I was waay faster and more relaxed, now I can't wait to go back!
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:48 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:26 am Thanks guys. I appreciate the reassurance.

The instructor will have better advice than me... but normally any time I'm at a new to me track, I will take the first session at 70-80%, get re-acclimated to the car, learn where the flag stations are, start to get a feel for the track's line, etc. By the end of the day you'll start getting more comfortable.

If you can, do multiple days at the same track. I recently went to VIR for the first time and day one it was a bit scary, running in HPDE2 with NASA on a track I've never experienced. Instructors helped me out and by the end of day 2 I was waay faster and more relaxed, now I can't wait to go back!
Thanks for the tips. Im doing a two day event this time out so I will have a good amount of track time to learn.

I have to get a NASA inspection prior to the event. What do you know about soulspeed performance in Austin? Thats the only recommendation ive recieved.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 pm I have to get a NASA inspection prior to the event. What do you know about soulspeed performance in Austin? Thats the only recommendation ive recieved.
I have not personally been there so I don't know anything more than what Google will get ya.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:48 pm

Thanks for the tips. Im doing a two day event this time out so I will have a good amount of track time to learn.

I have to get a NASA inspection prior to the event. What do you know about soulspeed performance in Austin? Thats the only recommendation ive recieved.
I always just self inspect.
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:06 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 pm

I always just self inspect.
I cant self inspect with all the work done to my car. The guidelines say since I have harnesses and a roll cage I must go to a certified NASA inspector.
Barnes93cb

stripethree wrote:
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 pm I have to get a NASA inspection prior to the event. What do you know about soulspeed performance in Austin? Thats the only recommendation ive recieved.
I have not personally been there so I don't know anything more than what Google will get ya.
Quoting because this is easiest.

Question for you. I’m half way through day two of my HPDE event. I’m getting 1-2 laps into an event and my abs light is coming on. I’ve managed pretty wells so far other than exceeding the limits of my tires and helping to mow the grass with my car.

What issues can I expect to see on track with the light?

stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Off the top of my head, in addition to ABS not functioning properly, any level of traction control is likely to just not work.

I'm not sure how it impacts the Haldex system. On one hand, I know that the stock controller sends power to the rear based on slippage from the front, which I would imagine relies on the wheel speed sensor for data. The wheel speed sensor failing is something that can cause an ABS light. On the other hand, you won't burn anything up to my knowledge, you just aren't getting to use all the car has to offer.
Barnes93cb

stripethree wrote:Off the top of my head, in addition to ABS not functioning properly, any level of traction control is likely to just not work.

I'm not sure how it impacts the Haldex system. On one hand, I know that the stock controller sends power to the rear based on slippage from the front, which I would imagine relies on the wheel speed sensor for data. The wheel speed sensor failing is something that can cause an ABS light. On the other hand, you won't burn anything up to my knowledge, you just aren't getting to use all the car has to offer.
That’s what I was thinking. Seemed about right for the event. There was quite a bit of extra sliding and squirming for me in turns and under braking.

I’ll have to look into what’s going on with that and also upgrade tires to something in a 200tw so I don’t overheat them as quickly.