Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:poorvette: is ready :excite:

:tits: can't drive so I have to walk to the shop to pick it up and it's pouring :pout: :waiting:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Just updated my spreadsheet on C5 costs - total parts/labor on mods/maintenance/repairs since acquisition in 2014 now up to $10.6K. Way cheaper than :plac:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:33 pm :poorvette: is ready :excite:

:tits: can't drive so I have to walk to the shop to pick it up and it's pouring :pout: :waiting:
IS there no uber?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:33 pm :poorvette: is ready :excite:

IS there no uber?
:iono: I haven't even considered it since the quarantine. The place is maybe a mile away so NBD to walk once it's not a monsoon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Also... that was fast:

Bring a Trailer Logo

Sorry, but your submission was not accepted.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for submitting your car to Bring a Trailer Auctions for consideration. Unfortunately, we do not feel that your 2014 BMW 3 Series is a good fit for our site and audience. We are inundated with a high volume of great submissions and simply cannot list them all.

We appreciate that you considered BaT Auctions and wish you best of luck with the sale. We hope to have the opportunity to work with you in the future.

Thanks,

The Bring a Trailer Team
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

You need to wait another 20-30 years for that car to be BAT material.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Maybe I will :sass:
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:11 pm Also... that was fast:

Bring a Trailer Logo

Sorry, but your submission was not accepted.

Hi Dan,

Thank you for submitting your car to Bring a Trailer Auctions for consideration. Unfortunately, we do not feel that your 2014 BMW 3 Series is a good fit for our site and audience. We are inundated with a high volume of great submissions and simply cannot list them all.

We appreciate that you considered BaT Auctions and wish you best of luck with the sale. We hope to have the opportunity to work with you in the future.

Thanks,

The Bring a Trailer Team
:( damn bastards... I mean they are getting epic prices... so I suppose I am not super surprised.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I was figuring it was 50/50 :ohwell:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:tits: and I are going to look at a few cars for her this weekend so we'll see about all that.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:46 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:39 am

That's a reasonable POV, I categorize DIY with safety first, financial savings second, but I try to earn as many skills as I can because in one way or another they are almost always transferable IMO, sometimes even in a work setting. My home shower repair skills were utilized to pipe up new connections for our pool pump that desperately needed replacement. What I won't touch is licensed trade work like gas hook ups, I know what's up but don't want to take the risk of :nuke: my house or whatever.
I definitely hear that, I'd be hesitant to do most electrical stuff at home even though I took EE courses in college and I know it isn't rocket science. Both safety and :haus: :nuke: are possible due to :derp: in that kind of case.
I will replace light switches, fixtures and wall outlets but haven't ever had a reason to go :balls: deep. 5/7 would skip big electrical jobs without a licensed dude at least drinking beer and ensuring all my connections are to code and an inspection to certify the job if it was that big.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well... I picked up my car. :troywax: $1K on the following:

-they switched around the calipers and re-bled brakes
-installed tie rod ends and rear upper ball joints that I was unable to get off
-alignment

So, the brakes work but feel spongy as hell, ABS engagement comes on what feels like way further down in the pedal than I'm used to. Granted, I haven't driven the car since February. The other thing is the car seems to pull to the left and the steering wheel is cocked slightly to the left. I'm going to go out for a more "spirited drive when it isn't rush hour and monsoon-ing... but so far :disgust:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm Well... I picked up my car. :troywax: $1K on the following:

-alignment

So, the brakes work but feel spongy as hell, ABS engagement comes on what feels like way further down in the pedal than I'm used to. Granted, I haven't driven the car since February. The other thing is the car seems to pull to the left and the steering wheel is cocked slightly to the left. I'm going to go out for a more "spirited drive when it isn't rush hour and monsoon-ing... but so far :disgust:
:wtf:
I hate picking up a car and it's not fixed. :rage:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm Well... I picked up my car. :troywax: $1K on the following:

-alignment

Ugh :( That's some shit. :yikes: Sounds like you need to literally. :nevermind:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah I will call them once I go for more of a drive to test it out... I just hate :dill: with this shit, which is why shops tend to be :disgust:

This place came very highly rated online and specializes in GM shit, rebuilds Grand Nationals and things like that, they were LS swapping a couple things too. This stuff should be simple for them.

:ohwell:
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:07 pm Yeah I will call them once I go for more of a drive to test it out... I just hate :dill: with this shit, which is why shops tend to be :disgust:

This place came very highly rated online and specializes in GM shit, rebuilds Grand Nationals and things like that, they were LS swapping a couple things too. This stuff should be simple for them.

I mean it took them 4 days to find an upside caliper which should have taken 30 seconds, with the first guy looking at it, if they ever saw a C5 caliper.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:07 pm Yeah I will call them once I go for more of a drive to test it out... I just hate :dill: with this shit, which is why shops tend to be :disgust:

I mean it took them 4 days to find an upside caliper which should have taken 30 seconds, with the first guy looking at it, if they ever saw a C5 caliper.
:notsure:

I'm not that stupid, even all the stamps are flipped on each caliper so they look the same. But yeah, it shouldn't have been that bad. They bled the brakes first apparently, making them as dumb as I am. That is the problem with not DIY :doe: as mentioned before, it's rare the "pros" are any better at things and they care less.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:32 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 6:20 pm

I'm not that stupid, even all the stamps are flipped on each caliper so they look the same. But yeah, it shouldn't have been that bad. They bled the brakes first apparently, making them as dumb as I am. That is the problem with not DIY :doe: as mentioned before, it's rare the "pros" are any better at things and they care less.
Yea this wasn't a dig at you at all. I hold shops to a much higher standard than myself. If I am paying YOU to do the JOB then you BETTER DO IT RIGHT/Better than ME. Because that's the whole point.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:23 pm

Yea this wasn't a dig at you at all. I hold shops to a much higher standard than myself. If I am paying YOU to do the JOB then you BETTER DO IT RIGHT/Better than ME. Because that's the whole point.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I'm rather :mindblown: that a reputable shop would try bleeding calipers upside down. That by itself is :notsure:

Whatever. This much tear up usually requires a decent amount of debugging.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 8:02 am

I'm rather :mindblown: that a reputable shop would try bleeding calipers upside down. That by itself is :notsure:

Whatever. This much tear up usually requires a decent amount of debugging.

The first guy could've been a oil change monkey :doe: , they may not have taken me at my word that I'd already bled the brakes a bunch, I'm just a talking wallet after all.

I am going to drive it again if it ever gets nice-ish today and then call them back :disgust:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I drove the :poorvette: again, ran some errands with :tits: . It was mostly dry this time, but didn't go full :stig: due to :tits: + still kind of testing things out.

Initial thoughts:

I overreacted last night. The alignment seems OK. The steering wheel is slightly left cocked, maybe a couple degrees. It's tough to say if it tracks straight because no roads are actually smooth, but I feel it tracks slightly left as well. This is what I get for being impatient and not taking it to the race shop.

Brakes definitely work but the pedal still feels too soft to me and travel is a lot.

I think I will still take it back to the shop and have them give the alignment another shot and maybe bleed the brakes again. The issue is, I don't have anymore fluid on hand and they will probably put in poverty spec DOT3... :iono: I'll call tomorrow and ask them.

The ride is definitely better with the DRM Bilsteins than the C6Z shocks I had previously. So far I'm saying well worth the $500. I look forward to some proper hoonage, maybe I can make a quick trip somewhere this weekend. Next week we are going to the beach and taking the Beemah.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm So I drove the :poorvette: again, ran some errands with :tits: . It was mostly dry this time, but didn't go full :stig: due to :tits: + still kind of testing things out.

Initial thoughts:

I overreacted last night. The alignment seems OK. The steering wheel is slightly left cocked, maybe a couple degrees. It's tough to say if it tracks straight because no roads are actually smooth, but I feel it tracks slightly left as well. This is what I get for being impatient and not taking it to the race shop.

Brakes definitely work but the pedal still feels too soft to me and travel is a lot.

I think I will still take it back to the shop and have them give the alignment another shot and maybe bleed the brakes again. The issue is, I don't have anymore fluid on hand and they will probably put in poverty spec DOT3... :iono: I'll call tomorrow and ask them.

The ride is definitely better with the DRM Bilsteins than the C6Z shocks I had previously. So far I'm saying well worth the $500. I look forward to some proper hoonage, maybe I can make a quick trip somewhere this weekend. Next week we are going to the beach and taking the Beemah.
Dot3 is OEM fluid... I don't see a problem.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm So I drove the :poorvette: again, ran some errands with :tits: . It was mostly dry this time, but didn't go full :stig: due to :tits: + still kind of testing things out.

Initial thoughts:

Dot3 is OEM fluid... I don't see a problem.
No bueno for trackdaybro.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Off the shelf Valvoline is actually pretty good, probably good enough for anyone not running slicks and race pads. You will overheat street tires/pads before you boil the valvoline.