Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:Sometimes I just really suck with attention to detail on things, kinda :disappoint: in myself.
Meh. I do shit like that all of the time. Sometimes parts/directions are crap, sometimes I'm just dumb. :whocares:
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:26 pm
:well:
I put on the calipers on the :wrong: sides... :derp: :wtf:
Dude sorry IMA be hard on you with this one, but you could have put yourself and others at risk by fucking this up. Imagine if they fucked up on a track or coming down a mountain etc.

I would try and be a bit more diligent next time and perhaps let someone else do the essential work as such, you're sort of gambling with a lot more than money at this point. :yikes:

That said, glad it was all fixed. What's the final tally?
troyguitar

I put a brake pad in backwards once in a hurry to get shit done before it rained on me. "Why does it sound like metal to metal when I brake?" :fullretard:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:58 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:31 pm

I put on the calipers on the :wrong: sides... :derp: :wtf:
Dude sorry IMA be hard on you with this one, but you could have put yourself and others at risk by fucking this up. Imagine if they fucked up on a track or coming down a mountain etc.

I would try and be a bit more diligent next time and perhaps let someone else do the essential work as such, you're sort of gambling with a lot more than money at this point. :yikes:

:iono: in general there's not really a scenario where the brakes seem fine and then all of a sudden would just not work because you're on track. A shop could just as easily fuck things up and they do often. People boil brake fluid on track and things like that, you have to be prepared.

You're :notwrong: that it was dumb, but I'm fairly confident in my suspension work and stuff, and would always do quite a bit of casual driving/testing before going :plaid: :stig:
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:31 pm

:iono: in general there's not really a scenario where the brakes seem fine and then all of a sudden would just not work because you're on track. A shop could just as easily fuck things up and they do often. People boil brake fluid on track and things like that, you have to be prepared.

You're :notwrong: that it was dumb, but I'm fairly confident in my suspension work and stuff, and would always do quite a bit of casual driving/testing before going :plaid: :stig:
:mahman:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Right...those calipers would never bleed properly, so it's not even something that could fail later. Whatever, live and learn.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:58 am

Right...those calipers would never bleed properly, so it's not even something that could fail later. Whatever, live and learn.
:dat:

I've done dumber shit
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:23 am

I've done dumber shit
We all have. It's part of the learning process.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I dumped a bucket of polyurethane down my staircase trying to refinish them. Hiring a pro would have saved me from the risks of injury and mess. Saved 10k doe, and now I have a new skill so :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:56 am I dumped a bucket of polyurethane down my staircase trying to refinish them. Hiring a pro would have saved me from the risks of injury and mess. Saved 10k doe, and now I have a new skill so :iono:

I used to be pro DIY everything due to :scrooge: /poor. Having a bit more money now, it's DIY most things but there are some questions to ask yourself first:

Will this be a skill worth learning that you'll use again in your life?

What is the time outlay and monetary difference between DIY/pro?

Is there a high chance of injury or property damage if I fuck up?

Based on this logic, would I open up a motor? Probably not as I don't see that as something I'll need more than maybe 2-3X in my life tops, and I could end up :nuke: a motor. Suspension stuff? Sure, it's grimy but you pretty much know the minute you lower the car down if you fucked up, and there's not much to break, just potential wasted time.

This is also why I'm struggling through the yard revamp at the moment, we are learning a ton about planting stuff, what grows where, how to revitalize things, etc. It's annoying as hell having to read up on it so much but I'm sure we'll own other houses so it'll wind up being less time consuming and cheaper each time.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:06 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:56 am I dumped a bucket of polyurethane down my staircase trying to refinish them. Hiring a pro would have saved me from the risks of injury and mess. Saved 10k doe, and now I have a new skill so :iono:

I used to be pro DIY everything due to :scrooge: /poor. Having a bit more money now, it's DIY most things but there are some questions to ask yourself first:

Based on this logic, would I open up a motor? Probably not as I don't see that as something I'll need more than maybe 2-3X in my life tops, and I could end up :nuke: a motor. Suspension stuff? Sure, it's grimy but you pretty much know the minute you lower the car down if you fucked up, and there's not much to break, just potential wasted time.

This is also why I'm struggling through the yard revamp at the moment, we are learning a ton about planting stuff, what grows where, how to revitalize things, etc. It's annoying as hell having to read up on it so much but I'm sure we'll own other houses so it'll wind up being less time consuming and cheaper each time.
Landscape shit is :waxer: AF to pay someone to do, and it's not at all rocket science. There is a learning curve, :doe: but you'll use that knowledge for the rest of your life.

We've planted 27 trees between our back and side yards this spring. Had to research what to put and where, how to plant and maintain, but it's drastically cheaper than paying someone to do it for us, and the results are 5/7.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:52 pm

Landscape shit is :waxer: AF to pay someone to do, and it's not at all rocket science. There is a learning curve, :doe: but you'll use that knowledge for the rest of your life.

We've planted 27 trees between our back and side yards this spring. Had to research what to put and where, how to plant and maintain, but it's drastically cheaper than paying someone to do it for us, and the results are 5/7.
:dat: is my thought as well, plus it's a learn it once, use it forever thing, unlike, say, tiling a shower, which I doubt I'd ever need to do more than once or twice and sounds shitty.

I hate the research/planning of the yard but the actual work I kind of like, I don't see myself hiring someone to do that at any point.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

That's a reasonable POV, I categorize DIY with safety first, financial savings second, but I try to earn as many skills as I can because in one way or another they are almost always transferable IMO, sometimes even in a work setting. My home shower repair skills were utilized to pipe up new connections for our pool pump that desperately needed replacement. What I won't touch is licensed trade work like gas hook ups, I know what's up but don't want to take the risk of :nuke: my house or whatever.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:39 am

That's a reasonable POV, I categorize DIY with safety first, financial savings second, but I try to earn as many skills as I can because in one way or another they are almost always transferable IMO, sometimes even in a work setting. My home shower repair skills were utilized to pipe up new connections for our pool pump that desperately needed replacement. What I won't touch is licensed trade work like gas hook ups, I know what's up but don't want to take the risk of :nuke: my house or whatever.
I definitely hear that, I'd be hesitant to do most electrical stuff at home even though I took EE courses in college and I know it isn't rocket science. Both safety and :haus: :nuke: are possible due to :derp: in that kind of case.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Getting the :poorvette: back today :excite:

ALso, submitted the Beemah to BaT this morning :popcorn:
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:51 pm Getting the :poorvette: back today :excite:

OH that's cool! They have a ton on eye balls on them so far, and 0 sales hit.

Btw do they just charge you $99 for the listing? Since they charge 5% to the buyer?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:51 pm Getting the :poorvette: back today :excite:

Btw do they just charge you $99 for the listing? Since they charge 5% to the buyer?
Yep, $99 for the listing, or $350 and they send a professional photographer. I don't know if my car is special enough, but it's certainly unique as far as F30s go. I might have shot myself in the foot by requesting a $16K reserve, but I'm not really enthused to off it for much less than that. We'll see what they say.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I've done dumber shit
I was day drinking and changing oil one time. Dumped 5 quarts of Mobil 1 straight through the engine into the waiting pan with all of the dirty oil. Replacing the plug was too mentally challenging at that time.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:05 pm
max225 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:04 pm

Yep, $99 for the listing, or $350 and they send a professional photographer. I don't know if my car is special enough, but it's certainly unique as far as F30s go. I might have shot myself in the foot by requesting a $16K reserve, but I'm not really enthused to off it for much less than that. We'll see what they say.
I think anything above 14k is solid. :like:
max225

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-328-40/

This is your car but a 2011... Dat :unicorn: spec.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

The realization that Californians have to pay 15% on top of the sales price makes BAT a deal where you either have to get a great deal or want the car so bad price is mostly irrelevant.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:07 pm https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2011-bmw-328-40/

This is your car but a 2011... Dat :unicorn: spec.

:ohdang: same exact car!

I agree that $14K is probably what it's "worth". I'm just :notsure: I really want to off it for that... as evidenced by the E90, it'll only drop $3K more in three more years and it's a good car. We could swing the new Renegade or whatever plus keeping it no problem, just kinda meh on having three cars as we don't ever drive and it looks like working remote might be a more permanent thing for me plus I can ride my bike to the office.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:12 pm The realization that Californians have to pay 15% on top of the sales price makes BAT a deal where you either have to get a great deal or want the car so bad price is mostly irrelevant.
Right we talked about that and why I didn't pull the trigger. Additional $1000-1500 in shipping also which can be another 5-10% on top of the purchase price. So all in all 20-25% above selling "price" for all final $ auction figures.

Also the fact that they are already priced higher as they do seem to have some of the best vehicles... makes it a tough value proposition.

I would estimate that the average final transaction price for a car on BAT is about 15-30% higher than you could source PP. Great for seller, shit for buyer.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:05 pm

I've done dumber shit
I was day drinking and changing oil one time. Dumped 5 quarts of Mobil 1 straight through the engine into the waiting pan with all of the dirty oil. Replacing the plug was too mentally challenging at that time.
That's called a flush.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 1:12 pm The realization that Californians have to pay 15% on top of the sales price makes BAT a deal where you either have to get a great deal or want the car so bad price is mostly irrelevant.
Right we talked about that and why I didn't pull the trigger. Additional $1000-1500 in shipping also which can be another 5-10% on top of the purchase price. So all in all 20-25% above selling "price" for all final $ auction figures.

Also the fact that they are already priced higher as they do seem to have some of the best vehicles... makes it a tough value proposition.

I would estimate that the average final transaction price for a car on BAT is about 15-30% higher than you could source PP. Great for seller, shit for buyer.
BAT is for sellers... or for :waxer: buyers who just want the best rare thing without regard for cost.