Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:51 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:50 pm

He's had if for what, 3 months? That's the relationship equivalent of sleeping with a woman 5 times and saying "I never really loved you."
I dunno...I fall in and out of love with cars really quickly. I can tell early on how long it will last...and the same with women for the most part.
Roughly as long as a career with that automaker? :koolaid:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:52 pm
I dunno...I fall in and out of love with cars really quickly. I can tell early on how long it will last...and the same with women for the most part.
:lolgasm:

Not in my current case. I'm not selling the :poorvette: or the Volt. The Colorado lease is going back, so it's not like I'm selling it to buy :koolaid:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:52 pm
POTD
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 pm
Ohhhhh I see. We're arguing two different things. I was saying not to mod the BMW with the intent of replacing the Vette.

I could see a few cheap modifications being worthwhile, especially if it'll prevent :plac:

He's just never really loved the car, and it's doubtful that even small modz will help much. With all the other expenses he's facing, :troywax: on car shit probably isn't wise at this time.
He's had if for what, 3 months? That's the relationship equivalent of sleeping with a woman 5 times and saying "I never really loved you."
I think almost 6 months now, got it right before Thanksgiving.

But I have been really enjoying it today, washed it at lunch(in the drive through :triggered: #apartmentlyfe :millennial: ), it looks great, it serves it's purpose well. I think down the line I'll get some tires for the OEM 'vette wheels that aren't 200W and likely drive it a fair amount to work (right now doing 1-2 days weekly) and enjoy the BMW for road trips, when the 'vette breaks, and when I don't want to deal with the C5 headaches.

I am trying to step back and be thankful for what I have, which is two cars that are both great in their own ways.

I also think allowing myself to back burner C5 projects from time to time to do a thing to the BMW here in there will keep me interested in it for at least a couple of years, hopefully more.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:29 pm

But I have been really enjoying it today, washed it at lunch(in the drive through :triggered: #apartmentlyfe :millennial: ), it looks great, it serves it's purpose well. I think down the line I'll get some tires for the OEM 'vette wheels that aren't 200W and likely drive it a fair amount to work (right now doing 1-2 days weekly) and enjoy the BMW for road trips, when the 'vette breaks, and when I don't want to deal with the C5 headaches.

I am trying to step back and be thankful for what I have, which is two cars that are both great in their own ways.

I also think allowing myself to back burner C5 projects from time to time to do a thing to the BMW here in there will keep me interested in it for at least a couple of years, hopefully more.
While I get what you're doing I don't think it is fully sustainable. I'd probably still off the C5 before it gives you another oily surprise and leave you with a $1500-2000 bill. And just DD the BMW. While it isn't a corvette, I think it does the job of a sporty dd relatively well. 2 cars+ apartment must be really tough mang.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:32 pm

While I get what you're doing I don't think it is fully sustainable. I'd probably still off the C5 before it gives you another oily surprise and leave you with a $1500-2000 bill. And just DD the BMW. While it isn't a corvette, I think it does the job of a sporty dd relatively well. 2 cars+ apartment must be really tough mang.
I dunno... the C5 just ain't worth that much. I'm going to try to keep it up myself and try to keep it over the long haul.

As DPlac mentioned in his earlier post, it's just more costly in the end to off it and then six months later be back to trying to buy another (or 20 months later after getting a house).
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Yeah dude, that's what I would say as well, but the bottom line is that Lord Griffington is giving more than a fair amount of pushback to that plan. Like, "I'm engaged, I may see the path before me, I may eventually take that path, but you MAY have to put me on that path with a round of .45 ACP to the temple. So take your voice of moderation and words like "fully sustainable" and shove it deeply into your ars." That's kind of what I am hearing.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Desertbreh wrote:
max225 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:32 pm While I get what you're doing I don't think it is fully sustainable. I'd probably still off the C5 before it gives you another oily surprise and leave you with a $1500-2000 bill. And just DD the BMW. While it isn't a corvette, I think it does the job of a sporty dd relatively well. 2 cars+ apartment must be really tough mang.
Yeah dude, that's what I would say as well, but the bottom line is that Lord Griffington is giving more than a fair amount of pushback to that plan. Like, "I'm engaged, I may see the path before me, I may eventually take that path, but you MAY have to put me on that path with a round of .45 ACP to the temple. So take your voice of moderation and words like "fully sustainable" and shove it deeply into your ars." That's kind of what I am hearing.
:dat:

Dude makes :225: money with :mahtroy: living expenses. He can :wasteful: on cars NFG.
max225

My all in living expense is $2200 a month. I doubt anywhere non bum infested with 6 figure jobs is under $1500.

That said I just don’t think this is the right way to go.

Input was requested and input was provided the man is an adult and will make his own choices.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:My all in living expense is $2200 a month. I doubt anywhere non bum infested with 6 figure jobs is under $1500.

That said I just think this is the right way to go.

Input was requested and input was provided the man is an adult and will make his own choices.
:idbu:

Then again you make so much and bought your :haus: so long ago that maybe you paid it off already? Don't fucking move if so. Not to a bloody apartment. Buy another :haus: in cash.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:06 pm
max225 wrote:My all in living expense is $2200 a month. I doubt anywhere non bum infested with 6 figure jobs is under $1500.

That said I just think this is the right way to go.

:idbu:

Then again you make so much and bought your :haus: so long ago that maybe you paid it off already? Don't fucking move if so. Not to a bloody apartment. Buy another :haus: in cash.
In 2011 when I refinanced my place was valued at 35% of where it is today. But I don’t like where I live ... which is fucking annoying af. Any place I want requires 1.5M. The down is not a problem but the prop taxes + epic monthlies are
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:06 pm :idbu:

In 2011 when I refinanced my place was valued at 35% of where it is today. But I don’t like where I live ... which is fucking annoying af. Any place I want requires 1.5M. The down is not a problem but the prop taxes + epic monthlies are
Why not stay there for now and retire to anywhere else in the world at age 40? You are insanely lucky to have been able to EVER afford a house in that area. Cash out a bit later and call it winning at lyfe.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:15 pm
max225 wrote:
Why not stay there for now and retire to anywhere else in the world at age 40? You are insanely lucky to have been able to EVER afford a house in that area. Cash out a bit later and call it winning at lyfe.
Sort of lucky ... but I don’t think this will last. My house yo Yoed like Crazy. Went up 100% then down 70% below my purchase price from 11 years ago. I just waited out the shit storm.
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:15 pm Why not stay there for now and retire to anywhere else in the world at age 40? You are insanely lucky to have been able to EVER afford a house in that area. Cash out a bit later and call it winning at lyfe.
Sort of lucky ... but I don’t think this will last. My house yo Yoed like Crazy. Went up 100% then down 70% below my purchase price from 11 years ago. I just waited out the shit storm.
In the rest of the world you would have maybe made 50% at most, not 200%... And you would have been unemployed in 2009.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 pm
max225 wrote:
In the rest of the world you would have maybe made 50% at most, not 200%... And you would have been unemployed in 2009.
I went through 3 lay offs but managed to outlast others because I was always the lowest paid in my group and hardest working. didn’t get a raise or bonus for 3 years. Dude my life hasn’t been a gravy train. Also my gain is 100% just like any other area I have checked thAts worth while living in.
Austin, Portland, Seattle, all had the same shit
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 7:24 pm In the rest of the world you would have maybe made 50% at most, not 200%... And you would have been unemployed in 2009.
I went through 3 lay offs but managed to outlast others because I was always the lowest paid in my group and hardest working. didn’t get a raise or bonus for 3 years. Dude my life hasn’t been a gravy train. Also my gain is 100% just like any other area I have checked thAts worth while living in.
Austin, Portland, Seattle, all had the same shit
No bonus? Oh no!

Cry me a fucking river.

Try having job offers rescinded because you graduated in 2008 and your whole industry was essentially dying, then taking some shitty job and being laid off from that too. All while NEVER having the capital or income to buy anything in the Pay area.

You are :alpo: personified. Enjoy it and quit your bitching. Hole up for 5 more years and RETIRE.
ChrisoftheNorth

:fuckyeah: this is by far the best choice IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Dude said cars are his favorite hobby. Fact is, he's currently maximizing that hobby in the most cost effective way possible. :place: in any way is flushing money away...be it in taxes, title transfers, loss in depreciation of old car, etc.

The C5 is the best bang for the buck performance car period. Anything else will be compromises or triple to quadruple the price. If he can pull off two cars, he should IMO. It's what's worked for me. I legit have zero interest in :plac:
Johnny_P

troy is extra salty rn :popcorn:
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 8:02 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 6:33 pm

Dude said cars are his favorite hobby. Fact is, he's currently maximizing that hobby in the most cost effective way possible. :place: in any way is flushing money away...be it in taxes, title transfers, loss in depreciation of old car, etc.

The C5 is the best bang for the buck performance car period. Anything else will be compromises or triple to quadruple the price. If he can pull off two cars, he should IMO. It's what's worked for me. I legit have zero interest in :plac:
Cars are fun. Life is short. Do what you want. If trackdaybro is important (it is) then Griff should keep something trackdaybro worthy.

If Griffballz wanted to off both cars and go blow a wad of cash on a viper tomorrow I'd :fuckyeah: that idea.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

There is no wrong answer, gotta have fun and enjoy what we have. I like both of Griffs whips and can see value in holding both. Poorvette does cost annually, like some vintage racecar tax. Gotta pay to play! I'd love to own a mid engine poverty box someday when I can feel good about the 2k/yr upkeep required. Newish cars depreciate more than that anyways.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Guys, guys, guys.

I get that the C5 is "a waste of money" and all that, I mean, give me some credit here, I'm not stupid.

It's something I enjoy. I am still 401King, saving, all of that shit. I won't retire at 40 and I'm OK with that. If I shit the bed next year, at least I did it spinning off the road into death in my Corvette :iono: It costs me insurance + taxes+ maintenance, which is maybe $4K annually + $2K blown on trackdaybro stuff. Is this a lot of money? Yeah. But I'm a pretty big cheapass in most areas of my life, never buy expensive food/booze, bring lunch to work every day, wear clothes I bought 15 years ago, etc.

I'm fully aware the C5 can and will absolutely break and require money to keep on the road, and it's something I can live with. I have plenty of money in the bank to fix it if anything catastrophic happens. Would that suck? Yes. Maybe I'd come in here saying I should've listened to the bean counters, but at this juncture, it's yolo time boys.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I see your vette much like a motorcycle. A set of wheels/tires for the track and set for the street. Drive it on the days that you feel like it, and drive the Kamry the rest of the time.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

4zilch wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:36 am

I see your vette much like a motorcycle. A set of wheels/tires for the track and set for the street. Drive it on the days that you feel like it, and drive the Kamry the rest of the time.
Glad that some here get it.

I actually drove the 'vette to work three times this week :megusta:

Going to work on it tomorrow and address some issues.
ChrisoftheNorth

I drove mine every day this week. Even now I'm looking forward to driving it home.