Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:09 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:58 pm

Not a replacement. But more interesting, get it to the point of wanting to keep it.
Really I could do the same with the STI, get it tuned and throw on coilovers.
You should sell your waxables, get some smaller 4pots and run 15" gravel wheels. Sidewall for days.
This is an excellent idea.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Apex wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:09 pm

Not a replacement. But more interesting, get it to the point of wanting to keep it.
You should sell your waxables, get some smaller 4pots and run 15" gravel wheels. Sidewall for days.
Yeah see the problem with that is the suspension is tuned for the stiff sidewalls of the stock dunlop tires. Throw tires with gooey sidewalls on there and you induce a lot of undamped motion. The car is a jigglefest on the 17" + snow tire :triggered: setup, it would only be worse with 15's. I'd need to throw on a softer suspension to go with it.

The ride settles down on the stock 18" wheels/tires. Its more controlled, far less jiggle. A bit harsher.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Ehhhhh, I dunno. My experience when trying to address certain deficiencies, it's a never ending pit.

If you just want it to be more fun with a tune and bigger sway bars or something, I totally get that. But trying to make a car more comfortable or something is almost always impossible.
Oh yeah, the mods are independent of :poorvette:

BMW as my only car just isn't going to work for me, fortunately I can afford to do otherwise. If I had only the $20K for one car, I probably would go for the 370Z or poverty spec C6.

I'm talking basic stuff on the BMW for DD fun:
-Bluetooth :lolol:
-Some kind of exhaust and/or DP so it isn't silent
-square setup once the fronts wear out (I need to look into this more)

That will likely be it.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:28 pm
Ehhhhh, I dunno. My experience when trying to address certain deficiencies, it's a never ending pit.

If you just want it to be more fun with a tune and bigger sway bars or something, I totally get that. But trying to make a car more comfortable or something is almost always impossible.

BMW as my only car just isn't going to work for me, fortunately I can afford to do otherwise. If I had only the $20K for one car, I probably would go for the 370Z or poverty spec C6.

That will likely be it.
Oh, that's a no brainer. :doit:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 pm He has a track car and a DD already. Making the DD better for cheap is better than going full :plac:
Ohhhhh I see. We're arguing two different things. I was saying not to mod the BMW with the intent of replacing the Vette.

I could see a few cheap modifications being worthwhile, especially if it'll prevent :plac:

He's just never really loved the car, and it's doubtful that even small modz will help much. With all the other expenses he's facing, :troywax: on car shit probably isn't wise at this time.
I love the way it looks, it was actually pretty fun up in the mountains the other weekend. I think just an exhaust noise of some kind and music streaming would make me like it quite a bit more. It's fantastic as a road trip car, I just often enjoy driving the C5 to work more, especially now that the weather is nice.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That will likely be it.
Here's the problem with the square setup, as far as I can tell. A 255 tire width will not not fit on the front without rubbing without ramz with a different offset, e.g. you can't just pick up a set of stock rear 8.5 inch ramz and use them on the front. So even if you got new ramz (esspensive) the fronts would have different offsets and you could not rotate your tires without having them remounted. (Esspensive.) I would love to be told I am :wrong: about this.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:34 pm
Ohhhhh I see. We're arguing two different things. I was saying not to mod the BMW with the intent of replacing the Vette.

I could see a few cheap modifications being worthwhile, especially if it'll prevent :plac:

He's just never really loved the car, and it's doubtful that even small modz will help much. With all the other expenses he's facing, :troywax: on car shit probably isn't wise at this time.
I love the way it looks, it was actually pretty fun up in the mountains the other weekend. I think just an exhaust noise of some kind and music streaming would make me like it quite a bit more. It's fantastic as a road trip car, I just often enjoy driving the C5 to work more, especially now that the weather is nice.
Super reasonable requests that could be done for under $1k? I'd say that's the plan.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:34 pm

That will likely be it.
Here's the problem with the square setup, as far as I can tell. A 255 tire width will not not fit on the front without rubbing without ramz with a different offset, e.g. you can't just pick up a set of stock rear 8.5 inch ramz and use them on the front. So even if you got new ramz (esspensive) the fronts would have different offsets and you could not rotate your tires without having them remounted. (Esspensive.) I would love to be told I am :wrong: about this.
Sadly from everything I’ve seen, you are correct. I was thinking of just throwing 235/245 on the fronts depending on what’s available. I’ll probably get a few more miles out of the factory fronts for now. I think some kind of exhaust noises would be more bang for buck for me for daily enjoyment.
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 7:16 am

Sadly from everything I’ve seen, you are correct. I was thinking of just throwing 235/245 on the fronts depending on what’s available. I’ll probably get a few more miles out of the factory fronts for now. I think some kind of exhaust noises would be more bang for buck for me for daily enjoyment.
https://www.awe-tuning.com/h-r-bmw-rear ... adjustable

https://www.awe-tuning.com/bmw-f3x-328i ... efurbished

http://www.burgertuning.com/N20_Jb4.html

https://support.apexraceparts.com/hc/en ... ment-Guide
Apex Wheels wrote:Square Setups
Recommended for most types of street and performance driving. Allows proper front-to-rear tire rotation to extend tire life & improve handling balance.

Front & Rear: 18x9" ET42 with 245/40-18 tires
Popular fitment.
Front 5mm spacers required, larger spacer may be required for certain aftermarket suspensions, see below.
255/40-18 tires may also be used, but may require front spacers and/or negative camber.
:doit:
Johnny_P

That will likely be it.
Get new wheels with an appropriate offset for the limiting axle and use a spacer on the other axle.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

That will likely be it.
:wrong:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:34 pm Here's the problem with the square setup, as far as I can tell. A 255 tire width will not not fit on the front without rubbing without ramz with a different offset, e.g. you can't just pick up a set of stock rear 8.5 inch ramz and use them on the front. So even if you got new ramz (esspensive) the fronts would have different offsets and you could not rotate your tires without having them remounted. (Esspensive.) I would love to be told I am :wrong: about this.
:wrong:
:dat:

Dem spacerzz
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

That’s full on :waxer: ... don’t really want to buy new wheels, maybe when the :225: s wear out.

Also $1200 for a used exhaust? :gag:

I’m curious what it would sound like with just a catted down pipe. Cheaper than exhaust and actually makes gainz.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:26 pm That’s full on :waxer: ... don’t really want to buy new wheels, maybe when the :225: s wear out.

I’m curious what it would sound like with just a catted down pipe. Cheaper than exhaust and actually makes gainz.
Minimal sound gainz at best I'd bet.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:That’s full on :waxer: ... don’t really want to buy new wheels, maybe when the :225: s wear out.

Just run a straight pipe, Abarth style...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm
D Griff wrote:That’s full on :waxer: ... don’t really want to buy new wheels, maybe when the :225: s wear out.

:notbad:

Or dat catless chinese DP for $90.

:trollface:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:26 pm

Some straight piped turbro cars sound incredible.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I don't want super loud though, just some nice audio rather than silent.

I am thinking I'll purchase the enhanced Bluetooth :bs: today. May as well just go ahead and make that commitment to keeping the car.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 am I don't want super loud though, just some nice audio rather than silent.

I am thinking I'll purchase the enhanced Bluetooth :bs: today. May as well just go ahead and make that commitment to keeping the car.
Even if you decide to sell it, won't the bluetooth thing make it a bit more marketable?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:33 am
D Griff wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 am I don't want super loud though, just some nice audio rather than silent.

Even if you decide to sell it, won't the bluetooth thing make it a bit more marketable?
I don't think so, I feel that most would just assume it has it like I did and then be disappointed later :lolol:

I'm not going to point something like that out unless they ask, it's not a "flaw" just the stupid way it was spec'd/sold.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 am
Detroit wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:33 am
I don't think so, I feel that most would just assume it has it like I did and then be disappointed later :lolol:

I'm not going to point something like that out unless they ask, it's not a "flaw" just the stupid way it was spec'd/sold.
:dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I also forgot to mention that the windshield chip DIY repair on the Beemer was pretty successful. Thanks to DPlac for bringing it up. I thought this required special tools for some reason, the $15 kit was easy to use and pretty effective, now it's just a tiny dot I don't mind living with.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 pm He has a track car and a DD already. Making the DD better for cheap is better than going full :plac:

He's had if for what, 3 months? That's the relationship equivalent of sleeping with a woman 5 times and saying "I never really loved you."
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:50 pm

He's had if for what, 3 months? That's the relationship equivalent of sleeping with a woman 5 times and saying "I never really loved you."
I dunno...I fall in and out of love with cars really quickly. I can tell early on how long it will last...and the same with women for the most part.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:51 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:50 pm

I dunno...I fall in and out of love with cars really quickly. I can tell early on how long it will last...and the same with women for the most part.
I mean it makes sense, the car was purchased for a different reason, unfortunately life decisions can impact that quickly. If things in life never changed (jobs, women, crotchfruit, place of residence) it would be far easier to get a car that would fit the "want".