Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:16 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:48 am
:mahtroy:

I resurrected a garbage snowblower and lawnmower just like this. The lawnmower went years ZFG, but the damned snowblower needed something every season. Got sick of it and went electric on all the yard tools. :waxer: but WAY easier.

You'll get good life out of the lawnmower, and it's amazing the mechanical knowledge you can gain by keeping a simple lawnmower running well.
Yeah it's kind of fun because unlike the car project, you can go from total shit storm to a running machine in like an hour with basically old trash that can be found around the house or worse case scenario some cheap parts from the Depot.
Totally. I felt like MacGyver multiple times getting my snowblower running. It was fun until it wasn't.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:38 am

I've thought about it... don't mind the cost but it's more the storage. We have an 1100 square foot house, a shed, and a storage room on the back of the house. I have an extra set of wheels, tools, floor jacks, stands, detailing supplies, two bicycles, kayaks, camping shit, lawn shit... Both storage areas are pretty full of stuff already after living here for two months, and it is like 30% mutual stuff, like lawn things, 60% my stuff, 10% her stuff, so I don't want to add to that something I don't need and would have to wheel out from a shed every time.

If I had gotten the garage, sure... but :ohwell:

All things considered I like the carport and actually enjoy being outside for wrenching as I'm cooped up most of the time.
Yep...storage is always the PITA. Without a garage, it would be super tough.
KITCHEN
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 am
Yep...storage is always the PITA. Without a garage, it would be super tough.
KITCHEN
:lolol: :mahman:

I mean... I could store in my office no problem, but then I'd just be hauling it in and out of the house... not sure it's really worth the effort for something I don't really need.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:59 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:47 am

KITCHEN
:lolol: :mahman:

I mean... I could store in my office no problem, but then I'd just be hauling it in and out of the house... not sure it's really worth the effort for something I don't really need.
Nah, you wouldn't use it enough to make it worth the effort.

I dedicated a spot in my garage attic for it with an outlet and whatnot...so I'll have a more permanent installation when I can figure out how to hoist the bitch 9 feet in the air.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:59 am Imageol: :mahman:

Nah, you wouldn't use it enough to make it worth the effort.

I dedicated a spot in my garage attic for it with an outlet and whatnot...so I'll have a more permanent installation when I can figure out how to hoist the bitch 9 feet in the air.
That's what I did in KY with my compressor and it was great, but at the same time I only actually used it maybe 3-4 times in 4 years. Between electric tools and my little cordless tire inflator I had no real need to fire up the big compressor.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:57 am
Detroit wrote: Nah, you wouldn't use it enough to make it worth the effort.

That's what I did in KY with my compressor and it was great, but at the same time I only actually used it maybe 3-4 times in 4 years. Between electric tools and my little cordless tire inflator I had no real need to fire up the big compressor.
That's exactly what I'm debating right now. The 12v tire inflator I have for wheeling is way easier/faster to use when I need to fill stuff with air...and I do most of my car work at my dad's garage where he has a massive 50gal compressor in its own room so I use tools there.

Lately, my compressor gets more use inside the house when I'm installing molding or something where an air nailer works best.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:dat: my 12V is fine for pumping up car tires, which is the main use. The caliper rebuild is probably a once ever five years thing... I may just walk them across the street to the gas station and see if I can pressurize them with the tire inflation compressor.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:04 pm :dat: my 12V is fine for pumping up car tires, which is the main use. The caliper rebuild is probably a once ever five years thing... I may just walk them across the street to the gas station and see if I can pressurize them with the tire inflation compressor.
The tire inflation compressor won't blast air fast enough to get the pistons out...unless it's a big compressor in a garage with an air line out. You might even ask the shop that's pressing the ball joints if you can use their compressor to pop out the pistons...it's a 10-15 minute job with the compressor tops. You won't need it again once the pistons are out.
ChrisoftheNorth

OR

Mail me your calipers and parts and I'll rebuild them for you. I've got plenty of free time, would just cost you shipping.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm OR

Mail me your calipers and parts and I'll rebuild them for you. I've got plenty of free time, would just cost you shipping.
:notbad:

I think I'll take you up on this, if serious, PM me your address.

I have to wait on my shocks anyway, so the delay in shipping is NBD.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Perhaps it's already been mentioned, but they do make caliper piston pliers that work pretty well.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:08 pm OR

:notbad:

I think I'll take you up on this, if serious, PM me your address.

I have to wait on my shocks anyway, so the delay in shipping is NBD.
Sure, I'll do it. It's a job I've done before and can knock out in a few hours tops...easily while I'm "at lunch" at home.

They might even all fit in a flat rate box. Address incoming.
ChrisoftheNorth

4zilch wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:18 pm Perhaps it's already been mentioned, but they do make caliper piston pliers that work pretty well.
I was unaware of this.

Griff, they might be cheaper than shipping?
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:24 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:14 am

yes, but if he doesn't have air tools I'd recommend going electric at this point. my dad, a pro mechanic, has made the switch.
No shit? I've never met an electric tool I like as much as an air tool. There must have been a lot of progress in that regard recently.

Still doesn't fix the occasional need for compressed air (rebuilding calipers)...but it would be more convenient than storing a compressor that might be used once a month.
I still have both. I use an electric impact and ratchet for most things, however, aside from typical air needs (tires, calipers, etc), I still use an air impact when I need the velocity like when you need to spin on or off a macstrut top nut.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:04 pm :dat: my 12V is fine for pumping up car tires, which is the main use. The caliper rebuild is probably a once ever five years thing... I may just walk them across the street to the gas station and see if I can pressurize them with the tire inflation compressor.
Dan:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-2-6- ... /202713487

I own this. It is my sole garage/everything else compressor. It is quiet, it is easy to carry through doorways, and it does almost everything you need. It takes off lug nuts with an air gun fills tires, runs nailers, etc.
Is one of those big ass tanks a cool man thing to have? Of course. But this thing slays 9/10 everyday dragons. You wont' be able to paint a car with it but who do you think you are, Alan of Airboatlandia?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Can you get a small garden shed or something? and throw all that in there? Seems like it would have enough space.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:18 pm Perhaps it's already been mentioned, but they do make caliper piston pliers that work pretty well.
:dat:

If you're feeling adventurous you can also use your car's hydraulics to :doit: - unbolt the caliper from the knuckle, wrap an old towel around it and hit the brake pedal.

:whalecum:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:29 pm Can you get a small garden shed or something? and throw all that in there? Seems like it would have enough space.
We have a decent sized one and a storage room. In theory, sure it could fit. But my goal in general is to not acquire too much shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:23 pm
Dan:

I own this. It is my sole garage/everything else compressor. It is quiet, it is easy to carry through doorways, and it does almost everything you need. It takes off lug nuts with an air gun fills tires, runs nailers, etc.
Is one of those big ass tanks a cool man thing to have? Of course. But this thing slays 9/10 everyday dragons. You wont' be able to paint a car with it but who do you think you are, Alan of Airboatlandia?
Woa...this is 5/7!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:23 pm

Dan:

Woa...this is 5/7!
:dat: is def pretty sweet. I think I'll just take you up on ze rebuild though, :notsure: about blowing $214 right at the moment.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:35 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:19 pm
Woa...this is 5/7!
:dat: is def pretty sweet. I think I'll just take you up on ze rebuild though, :notsure: about blowing $214 right at the moment.
Cool man, I enjoy simple projects like this. Keep me posted.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, evidently I'm now officially upside down on the Beemah, Carvana offer comes in at $13K, I owe $14K... :disgust:

I think if this car is truly only worth $13-15K then I may as well just ride it out to 100K miles, which will be 10 more years for me at least. With prices of everything dropping, I do have that :plac: itch, but if I were to do anything, it would be move down to one car like an Evora or 997 or something, and considering I've just spent a bunch on the 'vette and the Beemah lost $8K of value in 16K miles, it's kind of a :nope:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

If your bride gets knocked up then that car will be an asset to you. I'd keep both whips personally.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 am If your bride gets knocked up then that car will be an asset to you. I'd keep both whips personally.
Probably what I'll do... paying 2X insurance is annoying but :ohwell: :wasteful:

The front :225: on the Beemah are pretty well worn out. I think once the world settles down I'll replace, maybe I'll look into a square setup or something.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:25 am
Tarspin wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 am If your bride gets knocked up then that car will be an asset to you. I'd keep both whips personally.
Probably what I'll do... paying 2X insurance is annoying but :ohwell: :wasteful:

The front :225: on the Beemah are pretty well worn out. I think once the world settles down I'll replace, maybe I'll look into a square setup or something.
Your 2x car insurance with a multi-car discount may be cheaper than insuring a Lotus or Porsche
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.