Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:17 am
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:08 pm I guess that means the Poorsche is out too. Sounds like you're in C6 territory. Go for a grand sport and don't lower it. It's got a dry sump and fixed calipers stock.
A Porsche is a thing that seems like a big :nope: for apartment living unless one is OK with :dillerman: rape, which I am not.

Also, yeah :iono: , the image thing is silly but man, I've gotten enough comments from family already a bout a $21k BMW.
And yet I get shit about image comments. Life comes at you hard bruh when people in $35k rav 4s call you rich and pass you up for promos.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:15 am

A Porsche is a thing that seems like a big :nope: for apartment living unless one is OK with :dillerman: rape, which I am not.

Also, yeah :iono: , the image thing is silly but man, I've gotten enough comments from family already a bout a $21k BMW.
And yet I get shit about image comments. Life comes at you hard bruh when people in $35k rav 4s call you rich and pass you up for promos.

If this happened to me once I would park my fun car in the garage and drive my volt or whatever cheap eco car is deemed acceptable in the pay area to work.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:07 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am

:word:

Honestly I've been second guessing and thinking about this quite a bit... the main reason - I keep coming back to the C6 as what I want, and by the time I go GS or something good, it's going to cost what the BMW + C5 cost, or nearly... at that point it's kind of :butwhy:

I think the wedding planning hanging over my head, travel, work, it's been a lot lately, have been stressing me out from a time/money perspective, but the reality is that money wise we are very fortunate and doing just fine. Time will be a bit better over the summer as I won't be playing tuba in two ensembles - I have a three month break from that. I guess I need to take a step back and think about what I really care about, because currently I have the following hobbies:
-working out (this is like 6+ hours/week
-mountain biking
-cars
-music
-travel

All of this plus work plus wedding is just stupid from a time/money perspective.

I drove the C5 in today and it is just so fun. I think that I'll be :sad: if I off the thing and just always want another Corvette. Nothing else is like it (i.e. cheap, fast as hell, awesome chassis/grip, amazing sound).

I think I'll test drive some of the "all arounders" like the STi, FoRS, Hype R and see if they're anywhere close in fun levels for me and see how I feel.

I think with $1500 in mods the BMW would also be a lot better, but that is also :fullretard: :lolol:
Dude.

:gtfo: with the car thoughts and focus on the other parts of your life. You'll end up making a stupid rash decision that you end up regretting, and financially you'll blow more money than necessary swapping shit around (I did this when I sold the 951 to get married and spiraled with a bunch of stupid car decisions). I really think your best (and cheapest) bet is to hunker down, do nothing, and enjoy the other aspects of your life that you need to focus on right now. Wedding planning can be fun dude...so can the other life things. Lay off the #trackday bro a bit this summer because something has to give, and just enjoy the :poorvette: on the street during the :fuckyeah: time in your life. Your current situation isn't ruining you financially, so just chill and reassess when things settle down next year sometime.

The C5 is the most fun for the dollar. Period. The values are dropping to the point where if you own one like we do, the best thing to do is just drive the fuck out of it and have fun. I've driven C6GS's, and while they're certainly fun, they're not triple the fun of a C5 for the cost. Since the BMW is so cheap, you've got reliable comfortable transport if the C5 needs a break. That's the best of all worlds.
This is good advice. Calm the fuck down.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:20 am

If this happened to me once I would park my fun car in the garage and drive my volt or whatever cheap eco car is deemed acceptable in the pay area to work.
I told one dude I work with that I have a Corvette and he acted like it was a Viper. Apparently, FCA viewed the Viper and Vette on the same level even though the Viper was way more expensive.

I haven't told anyone else about my :poorvette: here since. I have to park in a far away lot for "competitive vehicles" which works so nobody knows what I drive. Most think I drive the Volt daily, which they think is a "cheap Prius knock-off". :lolol:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:20 am

This was happening in my C5. My boss at the time had a corolla with crank windows. But this goes a while back, my current boss is likely making 7 so.... I don’t think he cares much
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:28 am
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:20 am [/b]

I told one dude I work with that I have a Corvette and he acted like it was a Viper. Apparently, FCA viewed the Viper and Vette on the same level even though the Viper was way more expensive.

I haven't told anyone else about my :poorvette: here since. I have to park in a far away lot for "competitive vehicles" which works so nobody knows what I drive. Most think I drive the Volt daily, which they think is a "cheap Prius knock-off". :lolol:
I mean they are both American 2 door sports cars that can be roughly the same price depending on trim level. So that’s not a :wrong: assessment.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:31 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:28 am

I mean they are both American 2 door sports cars that can be roughly the same price depending on trim level. So that’s not a :wrong: assessment.
My 2003 Corvette is worth maybe $15k at best. A 2003 Viper is worth nearly triple that.

Understood that the performance metrics were similar, but the pricing was and remains quite different. People think I'm driving a fucking Ferrari when it costs less than a new Compass.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:36 am
My 2003 Corvette is worth maybe $15k at best. A 2003 Viper is worth nearly triple that.

Understood that the performance metrics were similar, but the pricing was and remains quite different. People think I'm driving a fucking Ferrari when it costs less than a new Compass.
People that know, know. But you can’t blame someone who has never shopped for one to know the worth. A sl500 is worth even less than a corvette and has an even more distorted perception.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:44 am

People that know, know. But you can’t blame someone who has never shopped for one to know the worth. A sl500 is worth even less than a corvette and has an even more distorted perception.
Good point.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:02 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 pm Just buy a new M2. Throw both cars in for the down payment.
Nah.

I hate the image of the BMW. It’s stupid I know, but it’s a thing.

Also, I suspect an M2 would still be kind of boring. The BMW is just so refined... meh. Maybe an M2 would be worth driving though, I imagine they come in under $40k used now?
When I was looking they were still in the mid 40's. But you're right, they do present an image problem.

Will the N55 cars continue to hold value now that the M2C has the S55?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Yeah I don't thin rolling here in a Porsche would be a good move. The BMW doesn't get a ton of attention at work as they're kind of a dime a dozen. It's mostly just family that hates on it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:16 am

:word:

Honestly I've been second guessing and thinking about this quite a bit... the main reason - I keep coming back to the C6 as what I want, and by the time I go GS or something good, it's going to cost what the BMW + C5 cost, or nearly... at that point it's kind of :butwhy:

I think the wedding planning hanging over my head, travel, work, it's been a lot lately, have been stressing me out from a time/money perspective, but the reality is that money wise we are very fortunate and doing just fine. Time will be a bit better over the summer as I won't be playing tuba in two ensembles - I have a three month break from that. I guess I need to take a step back and think about what I really care about, because currently I have the following hobbies:
-working out (this is like 6+ hours/week
-mountain biking
-cars
-music
-travel

All of this plus work plus wedding is just stupid from a time/money perspective.

I drove the C5 in today and it is just so fun. I think that I'll be :sad: if I off the thing and just always want another Corvette. Nothing else is like it (i.e. cheap, fast as hell, awesome chassis/grip, amazing sound).

I think I'll test drive some of the "all arounders" like the STi, FoRS, Hype R and see if they're anywhere close in fun levels for me and see how I feel.

I think with $1500 in mods the BMW would also be a lot better, but that is also :fullretard: :lolol:
Dude.

:gtfo: with the car thoughts and focus on the other parts of your life. You'll end up making a stupid rash decision that you end up regretting, and financially you'll blow more money than necessary swapping shit around (I did this when I sold the 951 to get married and spiraled with a bunch of stupid car decisions). I really think your best (and cheapest) bet is to hunker down, do nothing, and enjoy the other aspects of your life that you need to focus on right now. Wedding planning can be fun dude...so can the other life things. Lay off the #trackday bro a bit this summer because something has to give, and just enjoy the :poorvette: on the street during the :fuckyeah: time in your life. Your current situation isn't ruining you financially, so just chill and reassess when things settle down next year sometime.

The C5 is the most fun for the dollar. Period. The values are dropping to the point where if you own one like we do, the best thing to do is just drive the fuck out of it and have fun. I've driven C6GS's, and while they're certainly fun, they're not triple the fun of a C5 for the cost. Since the BMW is so cheap, you've got reliable comfortable transport if the C5 needs a break. That's the best of all worlds.
Man, honestly, thanks for coming in here and busting my balls about this. You're likely right, I can :dealwithit: with having the C5 fixes take longer than I'd like, having it be dirty, etc. for another year and a half before having a garage, probably worth it to keep the thing around as I really don't feel like I'd enjoy a Hype R or something as much after the newness wore off.

Financially speaking, it's just not a good time time unload $3K into the diff/clutch, but hopefully I can nurse it along for a while without, other than that the costs are not really an issue, the BMW is pretty cheap to own/run.

Of that list of hobbies, I think cars are my numero uno and I need to just be OK with :troywax: on them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

It's funny... around here people normally just compliment the 'vette and think it is awesome. BMW on the other hand... rich douche. What's interesting is that I paid about the same for both cars, which is somewhere between what a new Fit and new Civic cost.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:10 am
Dude.

Man, honestly, thanks for coming in here and busting my balls about this. You're likely right, I can :dealwithit: with having the C5 fixes take longer than I'd like, having it be dirty, etc. for another year and a half before having a garage, probably worth it to keep the thing around as I really don't feel like I'd enjoy a Hype R or something as much after the newness wore off.

Financially speaking, it's just not a good time time unload $3K into the diff/clutch, but hopefully I can nurse it along for a while without, other than that the costs are not really an issue, the BMW is pretty cheap to own/run.

Of that list of hobbies, I think cars are my numero uno and I need to just be OK with :troywax: on them.
The diff/clutch will be fine on the street and auto-x for years. You'll just need to accept less #trackdaybro, which...time to adult dude, that's life. Do that again later when it fits life better.

If cars are #1 on your list, don't compromise. If you're anything like me, a compromise mobile will just be an ownershit experience focused on the compromises. The newness will wear off, and you'll start looking at splitting again. It's a vicious cycle.

Don't mod the BMW either...that stays as basic funish transportation. Not only is it lighting money on fire, but I guarantee you it won't get you what you want.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:17 am

It's funny... around here people normally just compliment the 'vette and think it is awesome. BMW on the other hand... rich douche. What's interesting is that I paid about the same for both cars, which is somewhere between what a new Fit and new Civic cost.
Here, German car owners have the worst reputation because if you didn't buy a Cadillac, Lincoln, or Alfa, you're not supporting the local economy and thus a communist.

People still think Vette's are :waxer: AF tho...which as Max said, if people don't shop them, they don't know. I also get a lot of jealousy when dudes start to gripe about selling cars for crotchfruit or whatever. "Must be nice". "You're so lucky", etc. It was a choice bro, you had the same opportunity as I did. We all make choices in life, set your priorities so that the choices you make support them. :stfu:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:10 am Man, honestly, thanks for coming in here and busting my balls about this. You're likely right, I can :dealwithit: with having the C5 fixes take longer than I'd like, having it be dirty, etc. for another year and a half before having a garage, probably worth it to keep the thing around as I really don't feel like I'd enjoy a Hype R or something as much after the newness wore off.

The diff/clutch will be fine on the street and auto-x for years. You'll just need to accept less #trackdaybro, which...time to adult dude, that's life. Do that again later when it fits life better.

If cars are #1 on your list, don't compromise. If you're anything like me, a compromise mobile will just be an ownershit experience focused on the compromises. The newness will wear off, and you'll start looking at splitting again. It's a vicious cycle.

Don't mod the BMW either...that stays as basic funish transportation. Not only is it lighting money on fire, but I guarantee you it won't get you what you want.
I disagree on small modzzz. Most appliances can be dramatically improved by putting a grand or so into them.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51 pm
Detroit wrote: The diff/clutch will be fine on the street and auto-x for years. You'll just need to accept less #trackdaybro, which...time to adult dude, that's life. Do that again later when it fits life better.

I disagree on small modzzz. Most appliances can be dramatically improved by putting a grand or so into them.
Sure, it can be improved...but to the point of being a sportscar replacement? That's just an insatiable money pig.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51 pm
Detroit wrote: The diff/clutch will be fine on the street and auto-x for years. You'll just need to accept less #trackdaybro, which...time to adult dude, that's life. Do that again later when it fits life better.

Sway bar, lunch box muffler, hamberder tune, and square tires would make the bimmer a lot better I bet.

Stock for stock, they're about even with a GTI on "fun to drive" scale.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:55 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51 pm I disagree on small modzzz. Most appliances can be dramatically improved by putting a grand or so into them.
Sure, it can be improved...but to the point of being a sportscar replacement? That's just an insatiable money pig.
Not a replacement. But more interesting, get it to the point of wanting to keep it.
Really I could do the same with the STI, get it tuned and throw on coilovers.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51 pm I disagree on small modzzz. Most appliances can be dramatically improved by putting a grand or so into them.
For street use? Absolutely. Don't track the thing :doe:

Sharpening the reflexes and balancing the handling is pretty simple and effective for street use. An alignment alone can make a big difference in daily driving fun.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 pm
Detroit wrote: Sure, it can be improved...but to the point of being a sportscar replacement? That's just an insatiable money pig.
For street use? Absolutely. Don't track the thing :doe:

Sharpening the reflexes and balancing the handling is pretty simple and effective for street use. An alignment alone can make a big difference in daily driving fun.
But he specificially wants something to take to the track...I don't understand the argument?
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:58 pm
Not a replacement. But more interesting, get it to the point of wanting to keep it.
Ehhhhh, I dunno. My experience when trying to address certain deficiencies, it's a never ending pit.

If you just want it to be more fun with a tune and bigger sway bars or something, I totally get that. But trying to make a car more comfortable or something is almost always impossible.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:59 pm For street use? Absolutely. Don't track the thing :doe:

But he specificially wants something to take to the track...I don't understand the argument?
He has a track car and a DD already. Making the DD better for cheap is better than going full :plac:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:06 pm
Detroit wrote: But he specificially wants something to take to the track...I don't understand the argument?
He has a track car and a DD already. Making the DD better for cheap is better than going full :plac:
Ohhhhh I see. We're arguing two different things. I was saying not to mod the BMW with the intent of replacing the Vette.

I could see a few cheap modifications being worthwhile, especially if it'll prevent :plac:

He's just never really loved the car, and it's doubtful that even small modz will help much. With all the other expenses he's facing, :troywax: on car shit probably isn't wise at this time.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:58 pm
You should sell your waxables, get some smaller 4pots and run 15" gravel wheels. Sidewall for days.