Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Have you driven an 86?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:17 am Have you driven an 86?
I love them... but one of those + :poorvette: is just :fullretard:

I guess I could get just an FRS if I wanted to go full :scrooge: but I think I’d miss the C5 too much.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:17 am Have you driven an 86?
I love them... but one of those + :poorvette: is just :fullretard:

I guess I could get just an FRS if I wanted to go full :scrooge: but I think I’d miss the C5 too much.
No replacement for displacement.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I managed to fix all of the issues on the 328i today! Replaced the plugs with $15/each BMW units and reset the misfire code, so far it hasn't come back and is running well. I switched the coil pack from cylinder two (that had the code) to one, so if I get another code it should be easy to diagnose.

I replaced one of the parking bulbs which caused the :gay: error.

Finally... the noise. It turns out this wasn't related to the exhaust at all... perhaps the stupid clip was hanging on by a thread and the extra vibration caused it to snap, but certainly not directly related. The e-brake cables run above the drive shaft through the car, so I had to lower the BROla, remove the heat shield, loosen the gas tank and remove this clip and replace. Twas an epic pain as the clip was bolted on a stud that also holds up the center of the gas tank. It's not a great design, I could see the new clip already straining under the tension of the cables, so I added some zip ties in as well for extra security. All in, feeling good that I spent four hours on the car and $70 on parts to fix what would've been $1500 at the :dillerman: rape center.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:nice:

Is the car more enjoyable now that it is trouble free? I always feel that way about my cars :iono:
Last edited by Tar on Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:32 pm I managed to fix all of the issues on the 328i today! Replaced the plugs with $15/each BMW units and reset the misfire code, so far it hasn't come back and is running well. I switched the coil pack from cylinder two (that had the code) to one, so if I get another code it should be easy to diagnose.

Finally... the noise. It turns out this wasn't related to the exhaust at all... perhaps the stupid clip was hanging on by a thread and the extra vibration caused it to snap, but certainly not directly related. The e-brake cables run above the drive shaft through the car, so I had to lower the BROla, remove the heat shield, loosen the gas tank and remove this clip and replace. Twas an epic pain as the clip was bolted on a stud that also holds up the center of the gas tank. It's not a great design, I could see the new clip already straining under the tension of the cables, so I added some zip ties in as well for extra security. All in, feeling good that I spent four hours on the car and $70 on parts to fix what would've been $1500 at the :dillerman: rape center.
Glad it’s all fixed, any pics of the plugs ? They only had 30k or so on em, curious what they look like as I’ll be there in a bit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:51 pm
D Griff wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:32 pm I managed to fix all of the issues on the 328i today! Replaced the plugs with $15/each BMW units and reset the misfire code, so far it hasn't come back and is running well. I switched the coil pack from cylinder two (that had the code) to one, so if I get another code it should be easy to diagnose.

Glad it’s all fixed, any pics of the plugs ? They only had 30k or so on em, curious what they look like as I’ll be there in a bit.
I tossed them but they all looked great, wouldn’t replace at that mileage unless you have an issue.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:34 pm :nice:

Is the car more enjoyable now that it is trouble free? I always feel that way about my cars :iono:
I’m all :fuckyeah: on it now :lolol: :plac:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

FWIW my R56 had a slight high-rpm misfire that was solved with a set of new plugs at just over 30k.
max225

Apex wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:34 pm
FWIW my R56 had a slight high-rpm misfire that was solved with a set of new plugs at just over 30k.
Oddly enough my M3 which has a plug interval of 30k and $800, started running much smoother after. I wonder why BMWs are so tough on plugs. I go 100k on the crown vic and it runs smoother than any BMW product I ever had.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:37 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:34 pm

Oddly enough my M3 which has a plug interval of 30k and $800, started running much smoother after. I wonder why BMWs are so tough on plugs. I go 100k on the crown vic and it runs smoother than any BMW product I ever had.
:iono: the 30k interval is crazy but an N20 also outputs more power than the 4.6 with 40% of the displacement and better fuel economy... so something has to give I guess.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:48 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:37 pm

:iono: the 30k interval is crazy but an N20 also outputs more power than the 4.6 with 40% of the displacement and better fuel economy... so something has to give I guess.
I’m actually willing to argue this one. You have to remember 4 speed vs 8 also a crown Vic is far bigger and way less aerodynamic than the 3 series.

Runs on donkey piss no problem. And I also don’t know that any bmw motor can make it to 400k
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:48 pm

I’m actually willing to argue this one. You have to remember 4 speed vs 8 also a crown Vic is far bigger and way less aerodynamic than the 3 series.

Runs on donkey piss no problem. And I also don’t know that any bmw motor can make it to 400k
I don’t disagree but that’s kinda my point, BMW is a high strung car that will eat consumables more but it certainly performs better. The N20 is by far the best 2.0T I’ve ever driven. Better than the Focus ST, GTI, WRX, etc for smoothness, linear delivery, sheer powah.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:55 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:50 pm

I don’t disagree but that’s kinda my point, BMW is a high strung car that will eat consumables more but it certainly performs better. The N20 is by far the best 2.0T I’ve ever driven. Better than the Focus ST, GTI, WRX, etc for smoothness, linear delivery, sheer powah.
I prefer the fraud 2.3 .... have you driven one yet ? that displacement really helps out. Agreed on the others. The current 4 cylinders are nothing like the ones of the past that were gutless pieces of shit.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:34 pm
I prefer the fraud 2.3 .... have you driven one yet ? that displacement really helps out. Agreed on the others. The current 4 cylinders are nothing like the ones of the past that were gutless pieces of shit.
I haven’t driven, definitely seems great though, they’re legitimately powerful.
max225

D Griff wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:24 pm
I haven’t driven, definitely seems great though, they’re legitimately powerful.
I averaged 21-23 though :disgust:
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

I have heard rumors on the 2.3t ecoboosts that the carbon buildup gets so bad, it might need a new head :notsure: but then again, the mustangs are longitudinal so not exactly like FoST.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:50 pm
I have heard rumors on the 2.3t ecoboosts that the carbon buildup gets so bad, it might need a new head :notsure: but then again, the mustangs are longitudinal so not exactly like FoST.
These engines date back to the Mazderp dates from 20 years ago... I am sure there is plenty of empirical data to see if they are reliable or not... I am sure there are a few 100 and 150k motors out there already.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:59 pm

These engines date back to the Mazderp dates from 20 years ago... I am sure there is plenty of empirical data to see if they are reliable or not... I am sure there are a few 100 and 150k motors out there already.
that said, it is the standard engine now, and assuming runs donkey piss 87, mostly driven by people who are :aintcare: so I can't doubt there isn't much to worry about.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
max225

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:59 pm

that said, it is the standard engine now, and assuming runs donkey piss 87, mostly driven by people who are :aintcare: so I can't doubt there isn't much to worry about.
That engine is in quite a few vehicles
Mustang
Explorer
Focus
Ranger and a few lincolns. I am sure it's just fine for as long as anyone cares for it... 0-150k miles after that i wouldn't trust any modern fraud.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:05 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:03 pm

That engine is in quite a few vehicles
Mustang
Explorer
Focus
Ranger and a few lincolns. I am sure it's just fine for as long as anyone cares for it... 0-150k miles after that i wouldn't trust any modern fraud.
:dat: except the mustang is longitudinal, pretty sure the explorer as well. The FoST I believe its different or atleast tuned differently.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

The FoST is a different motor, 2.0T versus the 2.3 in the 'stang. I have always heard good things about the 2.3, the old turBRO versoins in the SVT Fox Bodies were quite :neat: and a popular swap in Rangers.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:45 pm

The FoST is a different motor, 2.0T versus the 2.3 in the 'stang. I have always heard good things about the 2.3, the old turBRO versoins in the SVT Fox Bodies were quite :neat: and a popular swap in Rangers.
I should have specified FoRS, but same thing really the engines are all really similar...
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:45 pm

yeah the SVO's, those were actually just slightly less or more in hp compared to the GT of it's time iirc, unlike the current gen. The thunderbird (super t-bird?) of that era was pretty cool too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I haven't updated here in a long while, but I started a moderate restoration on the :poorvette: this weekend.

Things I'm planning on:
1. Clean all grounds and remove the dumb ground connectors - solder all of them to regular eyelets - I've had electrical issues here and there and this should help
2. Install Z06 power steering cooler.
3. Refresh suspension/steering components
4. Install C6 seatbelts to better fit my Sparcos
5. Change all fluids and clean everything up
6. Rebuild calipers, replace brakes (maybe will just reuse the rotors and pads for now until I fully use 'em up, but have new parts already on hand)
7. New tires, I might get my wheels powder coated/refinished
8. Replace oil pressure sensor again, intake manifold gaskets, maybe the wiring/try to figure out why that keeps not working

I put the car up on jack stands and started pulling some things apart. So far the power steering hard line to the pump is a bitch to loosen but I'll get that figured out. Other than that, it should be straight forward. Have pulled out some things to get to the grounds, that's easy enough.

So far it's been really enjoyable and nice to have the car somewhere I can leave it on stands and work on it when I have time without stressing to get one thing finished and having to jack it up each day, which is time consuming.