Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:06 am I'm also just a bitch that's never happy with anything.
Aren't we all tho?
All but :wap: A lot could be learned from the old fellow.

But self reflecting... I want to :plac: job, car, home... I think I need to work on being a bit more appreciative of what I've got now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:06 am I'm also just a bitch that's never happy with anything.
Aren't we all tho?
:notwrong:
brain go brrrrrr
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Hey.. re: rattle, do you think it could be that under load the engine torques a little moving the exhaust just enough to contact something on the body? I'd look at brackets/clamps that might be really close to the shell or heat shield and rotate them so flanges point differently or angle the exhaust in a way that gives the car more space.

My remus did that to me right after the install so I lifted back up and spun a connecting clamp and rattle is gone. Hope it's that simple. I don't have any interior rattles aside from my kids car seat when he's not in it and maybe change, junk in the interior.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 am

My :poorvette: has zero interior rattles at 16+ years old and 109k miles... I mean it crashes like hell over bumps but nothing from cold, exhaust, etc.

This is fairly bad though... to the point that I don't think it's really worth it. Hopefully I could sell the exhaust for $600-700 if it comes to that, paid about $900 with homie hook up.

I'm thinking my top :plac: contenders would be a Pooper S/JCW or an MS3. I'm going to see how the job things pan out and try to fix the rattle buzz before doing anything drastic :doe:
I was remarking this morning on my way in about how few buzzes and rattles my :poorvette: has. The only one that's surfaced recently is a buzz in the dash at low RPM under moderate load. I think the headers might be touching the body somewhere and need to investigate that. The things have rubbermaid interiors, but can be surprisingly well screwed together.

I don't think I've ever had a car where the buzz was so bad I couldn't take it. That's :impressive:
Mine has a similar buzz/rattle under load at low RPM (1500-2500 ish) in the dash as well. Might just be brub lyfe and not the headers.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:03 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:58 am

My :poorvette: has zero interior rattles at 16+ years old and 109k miles... I mean it crashes like hell over bumps but nothing from cold, exhaust, etc.

This is fairly bad though... to the point that I don't think it's really worth it. Hopefully I could sell the exhaust for $600-700 if it comes to that, paid about $900 with homie hook up.

I'm thinking my top :plac: contenders would be a Pooper S/JCW or an MS3. I'm going to see how the job things pan out and try to fix the rattle buzz before doing anything drastic :doe:
I was remarking this morning on my way in about how few buzzes and rattles my :poorvette: has. The only one that's surfaced recently is a buzz in the dash at low RPM under moderate load. I think the headers might be touching the body somewhere and need to investigate that. The things have rubbermaid interiors, but can be surprisingly well screwed together.

I don't think I've ever had a car where the buzz was so bad I couldn't take it. That's :impressive:
Mine has a similar buzz/rattle under load at low RPM (1500-2500 ish) in the dash as well. Might just be brub lyfe and not the headers.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am
Aren't we all tho?

But self reflecting... I want to :plac: job, car, home... I think I need to work on being a bit more appreciative of what I've got now.
Yea...but I think you're in a bit of a state of flux right now. You're getting married, you're in a temporary housing situation, jerb is meh (and you're doing something about it, which is great), it makes sense to have a lot of :plac: feelings.

I think all that will settle down as life settles down. I know it did for me. I don't want to :plac: anything.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am Aren't we all tho?

Sounds familiar. I want to :gtfo: of everything but my marriage. :plac:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:13 am Hey.. re: rattle, do you think it could be that under load the engine torques a little moving the exhaust just enough to contact something on the body? I'd look at brackets/clamps that might be really close to the shell or heat shield and rotate them so flanges point differently or angle the exhaust in a way that gives the car more space.

My remus did that to me right after the install so I lifted back up and spun a connecting clamp and rattle is gone. Hope it's that simple. I don't have any interior rattles aside from my kids car seat when he's not in it and maybe change, junk in the interior.
Genius. I did go back under and move some things around a bit as I thought it was this initially but didn't think about motor rotation. There was decent clearance but just a slight angle at the front could move the rear of the exhaust quite a bit and it does sound like it's towards the rear of the car. It also only seems to happen when the car/ambient temps are hot, so it must juuuuuust touch when expanded/tilting. I think you're on to something. Thanks man.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:18 am
D Griff wrote:

Sounds familiar. I want to :gtfo: of everything but my marriage. :plac:
I am pretty satisfied with my woman of choice fortunately. I will be glad when the wedding is over though.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:20 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:18 am Sounds familiar. I want to :gtfo: of everything but my marriage. :plac:
I am pretty satisfied with my woman of choice fortunately. I will be glad when the wedding is over though.
This is more important than anything IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:54 am So the good news is I do feel like this is starting to sound slightly louder/better while driving. It sounds like total :poop: on cold start, like a broken diesel or something, but the exhaust is nice on road, like stock on the highway with a nice sporty rumble while driving.

The bad news is, there’s a buzz in the interior now... at first I thought it was the actual exhaust but now I don’t think so. It sounds like it’s coming from the tunnel in the backseat floor board. It’s only when accelerating, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears. It almost sounds like a heat shield vibrating against something. I got under the car, everything is tight, no running and I can’t seem to locate it.

I’ll keep trying to localize but the thing is a rev won’t recreate, only happens when accelerating, making it hard to pin down with the car in the air.
Ugh... this is why I don’t mod... always something ... frequently unpredictable. Is it inside or out ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:34 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:54 am So the good news is I do feel like this is starting to sound slightly louder/better while driving. It sounds like total :poop: on cold start, like a broken diesel or something, but the exhaust is nice on road, like stock on the highway with a nice sporty rumble while driving.

The bad news is, there’s a buzz in the interior now... at first I thought it was the actual exhaust but now I don’t think so. It sounds like it’s coming from the tunnel in the backseat floor board. It’s only when accelerating, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gears. It almost sounds like a heat shield vibrating against something. I got under the car, everything is tight, no running and I can’t seem to locate it.

I’ll keep trying to localize but the thing is a rev won’t recreate, only happens when accelerating, making it hard to pin down with the car in the air.
Ugh... this is why I don’t mod... always something ... frequently unpredictable. Is it inside or out ?
Can't tell for sure... per Mario's idea above, I think it may be the exhaust hitting the heat shield under the car, which is in direct contact with the floor.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:22 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:20 am

This is more important than anything IMO.
:dat: :like:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:12 am
Aren't we all tho?

:wub: :hai:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So, some updates...

I've tried a few times to narrow down this noise. It seems that the resonance of the exhaust just rattles these heat shields. Short of taking the whole car apart and Dynomating, I don't think this is going away.

:plac: on 7 engage: I am going to be out of town this weekend but next weekend I'm going to put back on the factory exhaust and hopefully sell this stupid Borla without losing my ass entirely. The Beemah also picked up a CEL and a weird issue where the car shakes and has no power under full throttle (ad occasionally light throttle). I need to address that as well. Then I'm going to sell this stupid car and move on with my life. I might lose my ass but I just don't really care, I don't enjoy this car and that's that. I thought the exhaust would help, but it's just been frustrating and made me want the car less.

Has anyone ever sold a $20K or so car private party? I'm not sure what the best course of action here is - I could pay off the loan ($17K) but I'm not excited about that idea as I'm fearful I'll sit on the car for a long time and we are planning to use a significant portion or our cash for a house down payment in the next 3-6 months. I could try to trade it in on a different car, but I think I'll likely buy something private party, cash. I guess I'll start with CarMax and/or local BMW :dillerman: to see what they can offer me. I'd really like $20K for the car which seems like a great :dill: private party but I've just never had much luck selling cars.

I've been driving the :poorvette: which is honestly enjoyable to me. I'm :notsure: if I'll replace the DD right away or not, may just buy some DD tires and slum it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Aren't we all tho?
:howdareu:

:notwrong:

:sad:

time to :troywax:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:47 am
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:02 am It's odd because this exhaust is not very loud at all, like the buzz caused by it is louder than the actual note, even windows down.
Brown note, bro.

It's hitting that particular resonance.
:lolol:

:bravo:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:37 am So, some updates...

Has anyone ever sold a $20K or so car private party? I'm not sure what the best course of action here is - I could pay off the loan ($17K) but I'm not excited about that idea as I'm fearful I'll sit on the car for a long time and we are planning to use a significant portion or our cash for a house down payment in the next 3-6 months. I could try to trade it in on a different car, but I think I'll likely buy something private party, cash. I guess I'll start with CarMax and/or local BMW :dillerman: to see what they can offer me. I'd really like $20K for the car which seems like a great :dill: private party but I've just never had much luck selling cars.

I've been driving the :poorvette: which is honestly enjoyable to me. I'm :notsure: if I'll replace the DD right away or not, may just buy some DD tires and slum it.
easiest option is get a carmax quote/sail. Get a specific nada and kbb trade in value so you know ballpark expectations beforehand.

private party will 90% chance require financing anything over $10-15k. Make a CL/FB ad and mention lightstream as quick finance option? :iono:

You will get a ton of FB traffic with some good photos and a quick description/info
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:42 am

easiest option is get a carmax quote/sail. Get a specific nada and kbb trade in value so you know ballpark expectations beforehand.

private party will 90% chance require financing anything over $10-15k. Make a CL/FB ad and mention lightstream as quick finance option? :iono:

You will get a ton of FB traffic with some good photos and a quick description/info
NADA says clean trade in is $18K, retail $21K. It doesn't hurt to check with :dillerman: locally I guess. My thinking is that this is kind of the "enthusiast spec" in blue with the :dedong: brakes, M Sport, and manual. It's a small market but to certain bros it's the most desirable.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

I've tried a few times to narrow down this noise. It seems that the resonance of the exhaust just rattles these heat shields. Short of taking the whole car apart and Dynomating, I don't think this is going away.

:plac: on 7 engage: I am going to be out of town this weekend but next weekend I'm going to put back on the factory exhaust and hopefully sell this stupid Borla without losing my ass entirely. The Beemah also picked up a CEL and a weird issue where the car shakes and has no power under full throttle (ad occasionally light throttle). I need to address that as well. Then I'm going to sell this stupid car and move on with my life. I might lose my ass but I just don't really care, I don't enjoy this car and that's that. I thought the exhaust would help, but it's just been frustrating and made me want the car less.

If you were closer I'd sell you my thin spokes and Michelin RF for cheap. Sucks about the exhaust man.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Try carmax first, to get your baseline price. Then move on to PP. I don’t see why you wouldn’t get 20k for it PP
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:04 am

If you were closer I'd sell you my thin spokes and Michelin RF for cheap. Sucks about the exhaust man.
Eh, no want for run flats... :disgust: but thanks. I have the bronze 50AE thin spokes still, just no :225: on 'em. Last time I checked TR there were some OK Dunlop summer rubberz available in thin spoke sizes for like $400, I may just grab something like that.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:42 am

NADA says clean trade in is $18K, retail $21K. It doesn't hurt to check with :dillerman: locally I guess. My thinking is that this is kind of the "enthusiast spec" in blue with the :dedong: brakes, M Sport, and manual. It's a small market but to certain bros it's the most desirable.
I've found vehicles in this price range to be the hardest to sell private party. Nobody has the cash to buy, so they're financing, thus most just figure that for "only an extra $XX/mo" they can get something new instead. Add to that general :derp: nature of most people, it's really not fun.

I'd try to off it to a :dillerman: or Carmax and be done with it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:21 am

Try carmax first, to get your baseline price. Then move on to PP. I don’t see why you wouldn’t get 20k for it PP
I wonder how long payoff would take. One idea is to list it and once I have a buyer, pay off my loan, but it could take weeks to get the title. I have the cash but am just worried if I pay it off I'll end up sitting on it forever. I guess if the baseline from Carmax is over $17K I could always do that if PP doesn't work out after a month or two.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:09 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:48 am

I've found vehicles in this price range to be the hardest to sell private party. Nobody has the cash to buy, so they're financing, thus most just figure that for "only an extra $XX/mo" they can get something new instead. Add to that general :derp: nature of most people, it's really not fun.

I'd try to off it to a :dillerman: or Carmax and be done with it.
This is my fear, I tried to sell my :turboyaris: in the $15-17k range and had no luck, ended up offing it to :dillerman: for $15K. I've only ever successfully sold cars in the $1k range :lolol: