Strut your greasy stuff!
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:09 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:52 pm

I had the All seasons BFG comp as 2 as my last set of :225: and they pretty good for the price and grip. Ok with rain, but good if I don't use launch control.
These are summers, something like 340TW versus the 200TW I'm used to :lolol:

I'm :notsure: what I would go with when they wear out, I love the 200TW grip but seems like a dumb choice on this car as a daily. We'll see how much I end up driving it and where.
Basically you have the :jeep: as the "winter" beater. I'd probably either use indy 500's on the beemer, or maybe a little :troywax: michelin pilot as5? I think or whatever equivalent to all seasons michelin pilot super sports thats updated.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:56 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:09 pm

These are summers, something like 340TW versus the 200TW I'm used to :lolol:

I'm :notsure: what I would go with when they wear out, I love the 200TW grip but seems like a dumb choice on this car as a daily. We'll see how much I end up driving it and where.
Basically you have the :jeep: as the "winter" beater. I'd probably either use indy 500's on the beemer, or maybe a little :troywax: michelin pilot as5? I think or whatever equivalent to all seasons michelin pilot super sports thats updated.
Definitely no all seasons, we don't really get winter here, plus like you said, we have the :jeep: ... It's just between balls to the wall max performance summers or a bt longer-lasting summer compound. I don't need tires at the moment though, so no rush in deciding. If these last a long time, I may end up :plac: before tires are in order :lolol:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:45 am Well, I haven't updated this in a looong time.

As noted, the :poorvette: is sold, Beemah is back, :jeep: remains unchanged.

Everything has gone well with the :jeep: , zero issues, average MPG of 23-24, up to 26 on the highway, it's been a great family vehicle.

I took the Beemah to the track for the first time (VIR) on Friday. It was an interesting track outing as the first session it was pouring on half the track and totally dry on the other. Pretty interesting for the first time out in the car. I did get some dry sessions as well :doe:

All in all, I would say it was a 4/7 experience. The chassis is honestly fantastic. No under steer unless it was wet, very balanced, but plenty tail happy if you want it to be. You can get the back around but it's easy to save/correct if you "send it" a bit too much. It's much happier with a smaller amount of steering angle/input and more steering with the throttle to get it through the corner. The suspension is :muah: The brakes are pretty great and I had zero fade throughout the entire event (Corvette would always feel a bit mushier towards the back end of a session). It was really hot and it ran great. The BFG Comp Sport 2 were OK, they're definitely a street :225: , but held up just fine, can't complain.

Is the Corvette better and more fun on track? Yes. BUT, this was still pretty sweet and will certainly get the job done in the short-medium term. I still plan on :plac: in a year or two. We will probably try for a kid over the next year or two, so if that becomes a thing, I'll likely go for a Type R or something similar, otherwise probably a GR86, but who knows what could happen moving forward.
While lacking a ton of grip, I found them to be very predictable at the limit. The car felt comically easy to control at 10/10ths and beyond.
I had it sliding around many times around some cones with a big smile on my face.
It's a great chassis, and with some 200tw it would be really impressive, but the soft suspension would begin to show more.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:06 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 2:56 pm

Definitely no all seasons, we don't really get winter here, plus like you said, we have the :jeep: ... It's just between balls to the wall max performance summers or a bt longer-lasting summer compound. I don't need tires at the moment though, so no rush in deciding. If these last a long time, I may end up :plac: before tires are in order :lolol:
Get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. They are going to be the most expensive upfront, and they come with a mileage warranty, so all future sets are pro-rated (DISCOUNTED TIRES) if you wear them out faster than their mileage warranty.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:29 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 4:06 pm

Get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. They are going to be the most expensive upfront, and they come with a mileage warranty, so all future sets are pro-rated (DISCOUNTED TIRES) if you wear them out faster than their mileage warranty.
:iono: ... I think my Pilot Super Sport experience turned me off from the brand for life. That was one of the most disappointing products I've ever bought.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Melon wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:45 am Well, I haven't updated this in a looong time.

As noted, the :poorvette: is sold, Beemah is back, :jeep: remains unchanged.

Everything has gone well with the :jeep: , zero issues, average MPG of 23-24, up to 26 on the highway, it's been a great family vehicle.

I took the Beemah to the track for the first time (VIR) on Friday. It was an interesting track outing as the first session it was pouring on half the track and totally dry on the other. Pretty interesting for the first time out in the car. I did get some dry sessions as well :doe:

All in all, I would say it was a 4/7 experience. The chassis is honestly fantastic. No under steer unless it was wet, very balanced, but plenty tail happy if you want it to be. You can get the back around but it's easy to save/correct if you "send it" a bit too much. It's much happier with a smaller amount of steering angle/input and more steering with the throttle to get it through the corner. The suspension is :muah: The brakes are pretty great and I had zero fade throughout the entire event (Corvette would always feel a bit mushier towards the back end of a session). It was really hot and it ran great. The BFG Comp Sport 2 were OK, they're definitely a street :225: , but held up just fine, can't complain.

Is the Corvette better and more fun on track? Yes. BUT, this was still pretty sweet and will certainly get the job done in the short-medium term. I still plan on :plac: in a year or two. We will probably try for a kid over the next year or two, so if that becomes a thing, I'll likely go for a Type R or something similar, otherwise probably a GR86, but who knows what could happen moving forward.
While lacking a ton of grip, I found them to be very predictable at the limit. The car felt comically easy to control at 10/10ths and beyond.
I had it sliding around many times around some cones with a big smile on my face.
It's a great chassis, and with some 200tw it would be really impressive, but the soft suspension would begin to show more.
They are certainly not bad tires by any means. They didn't wear weird or anything either (looking at you Michelins), which is great. I think it's more about setting expectations, I got used to the 200TW 275 tires in the front on the Corvette (which is also a little lighter) and the turn in on that car was :muah:

I wouldn't say the BMW is prone to understeer much at all really now (only felt it in the wet pretty much), but it is certainly more effort to manage the front end grip. :iono: though, overall it was fun to have to adapt my driving to a new car. I think I've gotten pretty good with the Corvette on the tracks I'm familiar with.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:02 am
razr390 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:29 pm Get Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. They are going to be the most expensive upfront, and they come with a mileage warranty, so all future sets are pro-rated (DISCOUNTED TIRES) if you wear them out faster than their mileage warranty.
:iono: ... I think my Pilot Super Sport experience turned me off from the brand for life. That was one of the most disappointing products I've ever bought.
Remind me of your experience again?

Ps4s are supposedly exponentially better than PSS
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:34 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:02 am

Bought PSS because everyone on the internet was like "OMG BEST TIRES EVERRR". They were great on the street for 1K miles or so, then I took them to the track and they literally crumbled to bits after one day on track. I know that they aren't "track tires" but one day on a track with a pretty novice driver in a pretty stock car is just a joke for high performance tires I paid $1K for. I had to dump them after like 2K miles, they were literally destroyed.

I have used Falken, BFG, Conti, Bridgestone, even Sumitomo on track and they were all :thisisfine:

So they lost my business for many years to come unless they come on a car I buy or something and change my mind.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I put a set of PSS on the GTI when everyone was :jizz: over them and didn't care for them at all. Went to the Hankook Ventus V12 afterwards and stuck with those for as long as I had the car after.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:39 am
razr390 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:34 am

Bought PSS because everyone on the internet was like "OMG BEST TIRES EVERRR". They were great on the street for 1K miles or so, then I took them to the track and they literally crumbled to bits after one day on track. I know that they aren't "track tires" but one day on a track with a pretty novice driver in a pretty stock car is just a joke for high performance tires I paid $1K for. I had to dump them after like 2K miles, they were literally destroyed.

I have used Falken, BFG, Conti, Bridgestone, even Sumitomo on track and they were all :thisisfine:

So they lost my business for many years to come unless they come on a car I buy or something and change my mind.
PSS and 4S essentially require being stretched to support the soft sidewall. I ran 265/35/18 on 18x10.5 square on the :poorvette: and they lasted forever that way. Your BMW runs, what, 18x8.5 square? You'd want to run a :225: on that to keep it supported.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:58 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:39 am

PSS and 4S essentially require being stretched to support the soft sidewall. I ran 265/35/18 on 18x10.5 square on the :poorvette: and they lasted forever that way. Your BMW runs, what, 18x8.5 square? You'd want to run a :225: on that to keep it supported.
18X9. Currently it's on 245s all around on the BFG Comp Sport 2. I didn't notice any sort of odd wear after VIR Friday. I may end up just getting the Azenis 660K :iono: The 615K really treated me well.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah even on a 9 I would do :225: in most soft street tires, that's what the :meata: pros have learned over time. 205 on 8, 225 on 9, 245/255 on 10, 275 on 11 is a rough guide for the best combo.

Coin toss between the :225: and the 245 in your case though since it's still being used as a real car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:11 pm Yeah even on a 9 I would do :225: in most soft street tires, that's what the :meata: pros have learned over time. 205 on 8, 225 on 9, 245/255 on 10, 275 on 11 is a rough guide for the best combo.

Coin toss between the :225: and the 245 in your case though since it's still being used as a real car.
Yeah I don't think I'll track it as much as I did the Corvette, it's not quite as fun and I don't want to break shit. It will probably be like 3-5 track events annually.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well, some updates on the Beemah, I drove it about 1,300 miles in the past week to/from the Tail of the Dragon area, all over the roads there, and then to/from Carolina Motorsports Park for two track days (about 2.5 hours running laps). I have to say, I am actually pretty darn happy with this car and glad I bought it back. For the money, it was the best thing out there, and I certainly don't think I would be enjoying a Type R 3+X more (which is the cost difference). Round one of ownershit, I think the biggest cause of disdain was that it was hugely let down by the tires, particularly the run fuck :225: in the front. I don't think I am quite so dumb as to not realize that at the time, I really just didn't need the car. It all worked out as I got 50% more for the C5 than I would've in 2020 and I did get some more track time and other fun memories with the Corvette, it was still my favorite car I've owned and I imagine I'll have another one day.

But back to the Bimmer, I have now put about 5K miles on it since re-purchase, half of which were the return trip from LA to NC and this past week's car shenanigans. It's sitting right under 45K now. I originally bought it at 15K miles for $21K in fall 2018, sold to Alan with 31K miles for $15K in summer 2020, bought back for $16.5K with all of the mods and 39K miles in summer 2021. I had a couple of small issues round one, broken parking brake cable which was a pain in the :dedong: , a couple of weird misfire codes.

I was honestly pretty impressed with the performance at the Dragon and really :mindblown: at the track this weekend with how fast I was relative o other stuff.

The good:
- I love the look of this car, particularly the color, and the :ramz: courtesy of :melon: . The big blue fixed calipers also look quite dope.
-Road trip comfort, the seats are fantastic and the car is pretty refined, it is a great thing for pounding out highway miles, after driving it all day, I feel good.
-Fuel efficiency, it easily gets mid-low thirties highway, which for the size/speed is impressive
-Chassis - this thing fucks in this department with the square setup and suspension. It's balances, almost no understeer, it's easy to initiate a slide and just as easy to save it when needed. Mechanical grip is pretty good, as mentioned I kept up with some more serious stuff on track - Mustang GTs, 370Zs, track prepped E46s, etc. I did pass a Viper and C6 'vette but I think they both were in serious need of better drivers
-Practicality - it seats four and holds plenty of shit, while still not being too huge/heavy
-Build quality and fit/finish are pretty nice
-So far is seems to be reliable and really robust. I went 10/10 on track and had no overheating issues or brake issues like on my Corvette

The bad:
-rev hang in this is fucking horrid; it was most apparent on track where I'd have to upshift really slowly and lose a second+ of acceleration on straights. It sometimes even jumps UP in revs when the clutch is depressed. Shifter feel is also OK but not the best
-The sound - no turbo 4 is all that great, but these things just sound particularly meh IMO
- I'm not a tech guy but this is sort of pathetic for a $45K MSRP in 2014 car - no BT, heated seats, backup cam, etc. from the factory. Fortunately the BT was an easy enough fix in ownershit round one
-Steering feel is meh, this combined with the sounds/shifting experience certainly make it a less fun car to drive after eight+ years owning two seat sports cars
-I feel like from a driving perspective, it just doesn't have a ton of character. It drives really well overall, but it certainly doesn't offer the most exciting or memorable experience... kind of more personal feeling
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Keep on trucking! Post up some pics of it also. How is the paint holding up? I found the Estoril Blue to be REALLY sturdy especially compared to the SBM on the M3...
Any wear that you're noticing now that is has half a century on it?

:edit: I asked for pics and you Ninja posted them! :lol: :yikes:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:27 pm Keep on trucking! Post up some pics of it also. How is the paint holding up? I found the Estoril Blue to be REALLY sturdy especially compared to the SBM on the M3...

Ha, great minds think alike, was just adding them! It looks almost new - there are a few bits of wear on the interior (steering wheel, inside driver's door handle), and the usual rock chips from almost 50K miles, but it shows well, people are astonished when I tell them it's a 2014. I really like the Sensatec seat material, they appear almost new as well.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Car looks as good as a F3X is going to look. DO WANT the square setup, the :225: s on my 440i are going to be Gone Johnson way before the rears because reasons discussed ad nauseum.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:29 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:27 pm Keep on trucking! Post up some pics of it also. How is the paint holding up? I found the Estoril Blue to be REALLY sturdy especially compared to the SBM on the M3...

Ha, great minds think alike, was just adding them! It looks almost new - there are a few bits of wear on the interior (steering wheel, inside driver's door handle), and the usual rock chips from almost 50K miles, but it shows well, people are astonished when I tell them it's a 2014. I really like the Sensatec seat material, they appear almost new as well.
Fake leather rules with an iron fist. Seats in the MB show as new, leather bolster on BMW shows wear @ 4 years/37K miles.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

:notbad: update.

Seems like a great move considering the circumstances and a pretty damn nice car.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:56 pm :notbad: update.

Seems like a great move considering the circumstances and a pretty damn nice car.
:dat:
Glad you're enjoying round 2 of ownershit.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:45 pm Car looks as good as a F3X is going to look. DO WANT the square setup, the :225: s on my 440i are going to be Gone Johnson way before the rears because reasons discussed ad nauseum.
Some decent rubber square is a game changer on these things... it actually rotates really well and is a great chassis. Being rather long wheel base, it's quite fun and easy to initiate a slide and then come out of it looking like a hero. The :poorvette: always wanted to keep coming around.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:58 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:45 pm Car looks as good as a F3X is going to look. DO WANT the square setup, the :225: s on my 440i are going to be Gone Johnson way before the rears because reasons discussed ad nauseum.
Some decent rubber square is a game changer on these things... it actually rotates really well and is a great chassis. Being rather long wheel base, it's quite fun and easy to initiate a slide and then come out of it looking like a hero. The :poorvette: always wanted to keep coming around.
That's what you always hear about the F80 M3 vs the M2. The longer wheelbase of the 3 series makes it stable and a joy to dorifto, whereas the 2 series gets twitchy and can be a major handful. For a daily with some :stig: duties throw in, the 328 seems like a great choice. I wonder if a :tuna: could fix those rev hang issues.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:58 pm

That's what you always hear about the F80 M3 vs the M2. The longer wheelbase of the 3 series makes it stable and a joy to dorifto, whereas the 2 series gets twitchy and can be a major handful. For a daily with some :stig: duties throw in, the 328 seems like a great choice. I wonder if a :tuna: could fix those rev hang issues.
It has a stage one 93 octane BootMod3 :tuna: , based on my research so far, it seems like none of them fix it :sad: Does your GTI have a tune that fixes that? IIRC my :mk6: also had rev hang, but I think this is worse.

I do like the 328i for the efficiency in daily use and it's plenty powerful with the tune, I occasionally wish it was the 335/340 for the sound alone :doe:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:12 pm
coogles wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:03 pm

It has a stage one 93 octane BootMod3 :tuna: , based on my research so far, it seems like none of them fix it :sad: Does your GTI have a tune that fixes that? IIRC my :mk6: also had rev hang, but I think this is worse.

I do like the 328i for the efficiency in daily use and it's plenty powerful with the tune, I occasionally wish it was the 335/340 for the sound alone :doe:
I'm still stock ( :sad: ) but the MK7 isn't nearly as bad as the MK6 was, IMO. It still has a bit of rev hang compared to something like a S2000, but I don't find myself being annoyed with it except for during a spirited 1-2 shift. I don't know that any of the tunes out there for the MK7 fix what little there is, but I know the Cobb AP helps get rid of it on the new Civic Sis and WRXs, for example.