Griff's Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:35 pm Also intereting tidbit, since C5 acquisition in September 2014, I have spent $7,577 on maintenance and modz.
Maintenance really adds up. My crown vic is at $9800, the purchase price of the car was $7700. Things really add up over time/miles. in particular TIRES. :yikes: And a set lasts 60k+ miles on that thing.
Yup, that is my biggest expense on the Corvette, I've only had it about 45K miles and put on three sets, with another coming in the next six months, maybe soon.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I believe I've found the source of the rattle situation: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1646586

This is the exact sound mine makes... it appears to be the result of a parking brake retaining clip that is a common failure problem on F30s. I suspect it was weak and I somehow disrupted it during the install. The part on ECS is $9, so I'm going to go ahead and order it and hope this fixes the issue. My CEL reader should arrive tonight, hopefully I can get everything resolved for not a ton of cashola.

Reportedly the :dillerman: charges $700-1100 to replace this clip which appears to take about two hours of work + $9. These cars are truly horrible money pits if you buy new or service at :dillerman:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:58 am So I believe I've found the source of the rattle situation: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1646586

This is the exact sound mine makes... it appears to be the result of a parking brake retaining clip that is a common failure problem on F30s. I suspect it was weak and I somehow disrupted it during the install. The part on ECS is $9, so I'm going to go ahead and order it and hope this fixes the issue. My CEL reader should arrive tonight, hopefully I can get everything resolved for not a ton of cashola.

Reportedly the :dillerman: charges $700-1100 to replace this clip which appears to take about two hours of work + $9. These cars are truly horrible money pits if you buy new or service at :dillerman:
Man, I really hope that fixes it!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:58 am So I believe I've found the source of the rattle situation: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showt ... ?t=1646586

Yea dude... :member: my $700 spark plugs, $400 air filters ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:30 pm

:disgust:
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:47 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:30 pm

:disgust:
I am used to it... "its an expensive car" bs. Take the cost of the parts x 10x that's the cost of the service.
$30 in oil+filter =$300 oil change
$50 spark lugs = $500 plugs
$80 in trans fluid = $800 trans fluid job
Which is why I work on everything myself. :dillerman: can get it from someone else who is on stretch pay.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

In4pics of your dongle..... throw in some of the CEL reader too! :gaydance:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Irish wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:06 pm

In4pics of your dongle..... throw in some of the CEL reader too! :gaydance:
:hue:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Pulled the code on the Beemah. Misfire, cylinder two. I guess I will just order some new plugs and hopefully that's it, otherwise could be the ignition coil. If the plugs don't work I'll replace just that one. Also had a parking light go out - need to replace those things and put the stock exhaust back on to :sendit: , hopefully I can do all of that Saturday.

I am sort of considering buying a Ford Fuckus. My buddy has a 2013, he's the first owner, gray, :manuel: , 70K miles, $4800. :iono: I think I will probably just DD the 'vette but it might make sense to have something else in case the C5 breaks or I need to do :truk: shit.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 am Pulled the code on the Beemah. Misfire, cylinder two. I guess I will just order some new plugs and hopefully that's it, otherwise could be the ignition coil. If the plugs don't work I'll replace just that one. Also had a parking light go out - need to replace those things and put the stock exhaust back on to :sendit: , hopefully I can do all of that Saturday.

I am sort of considering buying a Ford Fuckus. My buddy has a 2013, he's the first owner, gray, :manuel: , 70K miles, $4800. :iono: I think I will probably just DD the 'vette but it might make sense to have something else in case the C5 breaks or I need to do :truk: shit.
Sounds like a cheap appliance and they are not terrible
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:37 am
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:33 am Pulled the code on the Beemah. Misfire, cylinder two. I guess I will just order some new plugs and hopefully that's it, otherwise could be the ignition coil. If the plugs don't work I'll replace just that one. Also had a parking light go out - need to replace those things and put the stock exhaust back on to :sendit: , hopefully I can do all of that Saturday.

Sounds like a cheap appliance and they are not terrible
I've driven it, it's :notbad: But I'm not convinced on it either, really don't need to be so :scrooge: , I just would enjoy driving the C5 most days and so having the BMW is :notsure:

I could also spend more and get something more fun like an MS3, MINI :poop: er, etc.

:plac:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Yeah that's a car for someone like me, not a typical DFD :waxer:

I can't :plac: :doe: now that :tits: killed any remaining value in both her car and mine. :eeyore:
max225

Weird I wonder what’s causing the misfire ... shit gas over the years ? Also no on the fuckus you can have a mini for $5k as well, less reliability but way more fun. Besides are you trying to downsize !? That’s pretty much food stamp status
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 am

Weird I wonder what’s causing the misfire ... shit gas over the years ? Also no on the fuckus you can have a mini for $5k as well, less reliability but way more fun. Besides are you trying to downsize !? That’s pretty much food stamp status
Every morning I walk into the parking garage, look at me keys, and like 4/5 times get in the :poorvette: because I like it way more. Not that I can't afford the Beemah but it's really a waste of like $500/month when the only thing I like using it for is road trips. It is fantastic for that and I'll miss it if we have to take :tits: Fusion Troy-spec wagon, but it's just kind of dumb. I'd rather spend that money on trackdaybro than owning the douche wagon.

MINI is def tempting... but they seem to have pretty shit reliability unless new. A 2013 S for under $10K would be cool :doe: .
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:55 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 am

Every morning I walk into the parking garage, look at me keys, and like 4/5 times get in the :poorvette: because I like it way more. Not that I can't afford the Beemah but it's really a waste of like $500/month when the only thing I like using it for is road trips. It is fantastic for that and I'll miss it if we have to take :tits: Fusion Troy-spec wagon, but it's just kind of dumb. I'd rather spend that money on trackdaybro than owning the douche wagon.

MINI is def tempting... but they seem to have pretty shit reliability unless new. A 2013 S for under $10K would be cool :doe: .
The major depreciation is already out of the Beemer. Yes you have to just admit to yourself that it isn’t “fun” I mean you sort of knew that going into the whole thing.
I just don’t see the “fun” in getting a way shittier vehicles you’ll be giving up a lot for not a lot of money.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:35 am

The major depreciation is already out of the Beemer. Yes you have to just admit to yourself that it isn’t “fun” I mean you sort of knew that going into the whole thing.
I just don’t see the “fun” in getting a way shittier vehicles you’ll be giving up a lot for not a lot of money.
Griff needs a :jeep:

Two fun things on opposite ends of the spectrum.
I do think that’s a pretty :neat: setup.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I think it might be easier and cheaper to have only one car and call uber/enterprise on the rare occasion that you can't drive it. I'd probably do that if I lived in a real city.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am I think it might be easier and cheaper to have only one car and call uber/enterprise on the rare occasion that you can't drive it. I'd probably do that if I lived in a real city.
It doesn’t seem like a money move ? But then again it does. :notsure: maybe the $500 a month isn’t getting
The appropriate amount of fun ?

I suppose that’s how I felt about my C5 ironically.... it was much easier to DD the golf and not deal with C5 “issues”
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:45 am I think it might be easier and cheaper to have only one car and call uber/enterprise on the rare occasion that you can't drive it. I'd probably do that if I lived in a real city.
It doesn’t seem like a money move ? But then again it does. :notsure: maybe the $500 a month isn’t getting

I suppose that’s how I felt about my C5 ironically.... it was much easier to DD the golf and not deal with C5 “issues”
It’s not really a money issue in that if I loved it I wouldn’t mind paying... but paying $600/month for something that i get less out of than the :poorvette: which is way cheaper is just kind of :disgust:

I should hear from this company I’ve been interviewing with soon, that job would be basically 50% WFH, 50% travel, in which case I really wouldn’t need it. If I keep this job with the commute, :notsure:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Griff you're getting rid of the 328i? Sorry it's not quite what you wanted :(

The Focus suggestion isn't bad. They're decent cars, handle well enough, don't suck to drive, etc. If its an automatic pass on it but a stick should be fine. A Mini would be more fun, but at that price.... it's likely to be a handful on maintenance.

What else are you considering?
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 am
max225 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:51 am

It’s not really a money issue in that if I loved it I wouldn’t mind paying... but paying $600/month for something that i get less out of than the :poorvette: which is way cheaper is just kind of :disgust:

I should hear from this company I’ve been interviewing with soon, that job would be basically 50% WFH, 50% travel, in which case I really wouldn’t need it. If I keep this job with the commute, :notsure:
Yea I’d wait on the job sitch to clear. Job moves prompted car moves for me every time.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:40 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:35 pm Also intereting tidbit, since C5 acquisition in September 2014, I have spent $7,577 on maintenance and modz.
Maintenance really adds up. My crown vic is at $9800, the purchase price of the car was $7700. Things really add up over time/miles. in particular TIRES. :yikes: And a set lasts 60k+ miles on that thing.
:ayfkm:

What the fuck else are you going to do? Walk?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 am
D Griff wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:26 am

Yea I’d wait on the job sitch to clear. Job moves prompted car moves for me every time.
Yep, that’s why I got the BMW in the first place. When I started this job I had a 60 mile round trip commute and shortly after getting it my fiancée decided to sell her townhouse and we moved a lot closer. So :notsure: ...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 am Griff you're getting rid of the 328i? Sorry it's not quite what you wanted :(

The Focus suggestion isn't bad. They're decent cars, handle well enough, don't suck to drive, etc. If its an automatic pass on it but a stick should be fine. A Mini would be more fun, but at that price.... it's likely to be a handful on maintenance.

The STs, the Focus, MS3 first or second gen, MINIs, maybe an Abarf. It’s tricky because a lot of stuff, even with a relatively low entry price, would cost me more than the BMW which is very much :butwhy:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:13 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:05 am Griff you're getting rid of the 328i? Sorry it's not quite what you wanted :(

The STs, the Focus, MS3 first or second gen, MINIs, maybe an Abarf. It’s tricky because a lot of stuff, even with a relatively low entry price, would cost me more than the BMW which is very much :butwhy:
Those all sound like fun. So compact and manual but a little more livable than the Corvette with a priority on fun.