purple ppl eater

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:53 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:16 pm

It's not a DD, I do love it as a road car. I also love my wif, who does not like the Corvette. Since we like each other we tend to travel together, and the resultant combo does keep the miles off. I do enjoy having a nice Zilspec "precious" but I have to admit I'd be better off with something like a CTS-V for practical use.
Hellcat widebody bro.
I love that car as much as you do. Is the factory induction setup enough though. For that car I'm ok with a giant ram air scoop 2 feet off the hood. Every day is a Black Sabbath day in that car.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: C5 Z06

6 WEEK UPDATE 2,300-2800 miles:

So, just two days ago I was coming up to my local touge and i got the wild idea that it was time to give her a good ol send. I really haven't gone more than 50% on any type of back road because i've still been getting used to the :poorvette: I was given her the ol shimmy before I got on the twisties to try and warm up the tires but it seemed like there wasn't as much grip as last time I did it. Thinking nothing of it, I continued to send it down the road.I hucked it into one turn and the front wheels broke loose and i was under steering into the side of a mountain :thisisfine: Once I regained the car, I slowed way tf down.

Fast forward to the next day, I take my car to my shop to give her the a wash and to get the rest of the air dam off. While i was under the car, I figured I'd give the tires a quick peek.
OOF

Needless to say I ordered some new tires... Got some Federal 595s for now. $108 a tire plus free shipping :notbad:
went with 4 just because I refuse to run mismatched tires on the vette.

will be doing a :burnout: once the new tires come in. Going to send these fronts off in style :thanksobama:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Purpc5z wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:18 pm 6 WEEK UPDATE 2,300-2800 miles:

So, just two days ago I was coming up to my local touge and i got the wild idea that it was time to give her a good ol send. I really haven't gone more than 50% on any type of back road because i've still been getting used to the :poorvette: I was given her the ol shimmy before I got on the twisties to try and warm up the tires but it seemed like there wasn't as much grip as last time I did it. Thinking nothing of it, I continued to send it down the road.I hucked it into one turn and the front wheels broke loose and i was under steering into the side of a mountain :thisisfine: Once I regained the car, I slowed way tf down.

Fast forward to the next day, I take my car to my shop to give her the a wash and to get the rest of the air dam off. While i was under the car, I figured I'd give the tires a quick peek.
OOF

Needless to say I ordered some new tires... Got some Federal 595s for now. $108 a tire plus free shipping :notbad:
went with 4 just because I refuse to run mismatched tires on the vette.

will be doing a :burnout: once the new tires come in. Going to send these fronts off in style :thanksobama:
Huh, my fronts wore kinda like that after the track...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Dude if they wore like that your airpressure is chronically low
brain go brrrrrr
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:57 pm Dude if they wore like that your airpressure is chronically low
i also have -2.2 degrees of camber
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Purpc5z wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:01 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:57 pm Dude if they wore like that your airpressure is chronically low

I have -2.7° on my fronts and they still wear evenly. That looks like cording past the corner of the roll over point. I'd expect it to be worn further into the flat of the tire if it was just camber wear.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Acid666 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:33 am

I have -2.7° on my fronts and they still wear evenly. That looks like cording past the corner of the roll over point. I'd expect it to be worn further into the flat of the tire if it was just camber wear.
what??!?!?!?!? how could you have that much camber and the tires still wear evenly??? I also drive my :poorvette: 70+ miles a day.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Purpc5z wrote:
what??!?!?!?!? how could you have that much camber and the tires still wear evenly??? I also drive my :poorvette: 70+ miles a day.
I had really even wear on that car with maxed camber. Make sure the toe is set to zero up front.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:24 pm
Purpc5z wrote:
I had really even wear on that car with maxed camber. Make sure the toe is set to zero up front.
:mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown: :mindblown:
is there anything else I should check for?? also what is max camber???
when you say they wear evenly, are you saying both the front tires wear the same about? or the tread accross each individual tire is wearing evenly even with the camber???
It doesn't make sense to me that i could have so much camber in the front and the tires still wear evenly across . :notsure:
troyguitar

I think I got maybe -2.6 degrees up front with the adjusters all the way out.

You essentially use the inside of the tires when you're going straight and the outside when you're turning - sure you spend a lot more time going straight, but the wear rate while cornering is much higher.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:48 pm I think I got maybe -2.6 degrees up front with the adjusters all the way out.

You essentially use the inside of the tires when you're going straight and the outside when you're turning - sure you spend a lot more time going straight, but the wear rate while cornering is much higher.
Interesting. i probably do about 10 miles of touge a day. I'm not driving slowly either.
Acid666

Purpc5z wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:20 pm

You've also got to understand that I'm running square 315s, so they're some big wide tires. So they spread a little bit differently than what you're running. But the toe is what really shreds up tires. I had one of my passenger side camber bolts loosen up and slip and throw in some toe and the inside of the inside of that tire took a bit more wear than the others, but the rest had normal wear. Your wear is on the sidewall and corner. Mine was from the corner to about 3" towards the middle of the tread. So it's something else if you're that bad and riding up the sidewall.

The max camber you can get is about -2.7 in the fronts and about -1.0 to -1.5 in the rear.
FYI I do about 95% of my driving as interstate driving to and from autocross events 1-2 hours away in Baton Rouge and Nola... Then race, then drive back.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:24 pm
Purpc5z wrote:
:dat:
I'd say toe is likely your killer here.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

yea, still

you cant run that camber with ANY toe or it will eat tires. You prob need to take some camber out if you will drive it that much in a non-performance setting.
brain go brrrrrr
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:28 pm

yea, still

you cant run that camber with ANY toe or it will eat tires. You prob need to take some camber out if you will drive it that much in a non-performance setting.
I'll def be taking care of the tow today when I put on new tires
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

After a bit of struggling and a few :ayfkm: moments. I decided that this was the only way to transport tires in a C5Z

Also fit a 55 inch flat screen into my buddy's C5Z. that was no easy task at all.
Acid666

Crazy thing is there's people that fit a full set of track wheels inside their Z. They have to be stock size tho. Something like a 275/295 setup or something.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:27 pm Crazy thing is there's people that fit a full set of track wheels inside their Z. They have to be stock size tho. Something like a 275/295 setup or something.
It's technically possible with the right sizes and whatnot. 2 behind the seats, 1 in the trunk, 1 in the passenger seat.
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:27 pm Crazy thing is there's people that fit a full set of track wheels inside their Z. They have to be stock size tho. Something like a 275/295 setup or something.
275/40/17s all the way around and I couldn't fit them in the trunk. Only one would fit in the rear behind the seats.
troyguitar

It's partly an OD thing. 2 fronts should baaaaaaaaaarely fit being crammed next to each other behind the seats.
Acid666

I think from the pics I've seen on the Corvette forums it was something like one in the rear passenger corner, one on the driver's side ahead of that, and then another on the passenger side in front of the driver's side one, forming a triangle.. And the last was in the passenger seat with the backrest partially folded forward.
I know I've seen it but can't remember what sizes it was. I grabbed 2x 275 front wheels off a guy before and couldn't get them in the back of mine. I think you might have to put them all in the car thru the front doors as you can't get them into the trunk and rotated into place.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Seems easier to toss them in the bed of your :truk: and motor along. :iono:
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Apex wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:51 pm Seems easier to toss them in the bed of your :truk: and motor along. :iono:
I didn't feel like pulling the el camino out of my garage and taking it 30mins to my shop. Rather make two trips in the :poorvette:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Purpc5z wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:18 pm
Apex wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:51 pm Seems easier to toss them in the bed of your :truk: and motor along. :iono:
I didn't feel like pulling the el camino out of my garage and taking it 30mins to my shop. Rather make two trips in the :poorvette:
What year El Camino? Pics?
Purpc5z
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class

Irish wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:38 pm
Purpc5z wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:18 pm

What year El Camino? Pics?
got two of em. Both 1970. black one was my first car. bought it when I was 16, blew the engine up at the beginning of 2018.
The blue one was my dad's first car. His mom bought it for him on his 15th birthday from his older brother. my dad never drives it, so I take care of it and am the only one that drives it :notbad: