The budget beater Meowta build

Strut your greasy stuff!
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Acid666 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:19 pm I take my wife to Pull-a-part to find out what it's all about. And what's she grab?

For in case we fuck any up when making the cat ear Mazda logos.
LOL! :notbad:
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

So I've been jacking Eclipse vents every time I see a new one pull into Pullapart because they sell for $40 for a set of 4 on the Faceballs. Everyone wants to switch to em but is too ratchet to go buy them new.
So you basically need to cut them shorter, and shave the OD down some to get them to fit. I made an airboat lathe to get my OD trimmed and stay concentric.

The Eclipse ones have a sleeve that fits over them. I stole a couple when I did my last raid. I found a hole drill saw bit that I had that fits inside of it, so I unscrewed the bit part of it and flipped it 180° so I could chuck it, then wrapped the outside with electrical tape to pick up the slack, and tapped it down and moved it to where it was centered. Now I can just throw a vent into it and rotate it and shave the outside down.

Here's a step by step DIY that none of you will care about!

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:18 am So I've been jacking Eclipse vents every time I see a new one pull into Pullapart because they sell for $40 for a set of 4 on the Faceballs. Everyone wants to switch to em but is too ratchet to go buy them new.
So you basically need to cut them shorter, and shave the OD down some to get them to fit. I made an airboat lathe to get my OD trimmed and stay concentric.

The Eclipse ones have a sleeve that fits over them. I stole a couple when I did my last raid. I found a hole drill saw bit that I had that fits inside of it, so I unscrewed the bit part of it and flipped it 180° so I could chuck it, then wrapped the outside with electrical tape to pick up the slack, and tapped it down and moved it to where it was centered. Now I can just throw a vent into it and rotate it and shave the outside down.

Here's a step by step DIY that none of you will care about!

:nice:
brain go brrrrrr
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:impressive: ingenuity.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Acid666

Raced with the wifey this weekend. Went really good. I think I was 25/56 in raw times. 10/56 in pax. Car handled great, wheel scraping was honestly pretty minimal. The delrin spacers I put on the shocks really helped. The car feels like it could have some of the body roll taken out of it. I'm tempted to go with coilovers and possibly a bigger bar soon. I could feel the body roll in the car, but it was more obvious from the pictures. I need to check to see what the actual compression is. I know the rear cylinder is the one that's probably got the worst rings because when you pull the plug out that's the one that's drenched in oil. I feel like if the engine was tip top it would have a little more oomph in the right places on the course even tho it's really not that bad.

I'll have video of this course tonight. We got home and just crashed.

And of course my wife found the track cat.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:amaze:

You even got my numbers! The ES cats are cooler than my plain ES :doe:

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:38 am Raced with the wifey this weekend. Went really good. I think I was 25/56 in raw times. 10/56 in pax. Car handled great, wheel scraping was honestly pretty minimal. The delrin spacers I put on the shocks really helped. The car feels like it could have some of the body roll taken out of it. I'm tempted to go with coilovers and possibly a bigger bar soon. I could feel the body roll in the car, but it was more obvious from the pictures. I need to check to see what the actual compression is. I know the rear cylinder is the one that's probably got the worst rings because when you pull the plug out that's the one that's drenched in oil. I feel like if the engine was tip top it would have a little more oomph in the right places on the course even tho it's really not that bad.

Very cool. I'm no expert at suspension tuning but it would appear you could eliminate some body roll without massive ill effects.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:27 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:38 am Raced with the wifey this weekend. Went really good. I think I was 25/56 in raw times. 10/56 in pax. Car handled great, wheel scraping was honestly pretty minimal. The delrin spacers I put on the shocks really helped. The car feels like it could have some of the body roll taken out of it. I'm tempted to go with coilovers and possibly a bigger bar soon. I could feel the body roll in the car, but it was more obvious from the pictures. I need to check to see what the actual compression is. I know the rear cylinder is the one that's probably got the worst rings because when you pull the plug out that's the one that's drenched in oil. I feel like if the engine was tip top it would have a little more oomph in the right places on the course even tho it's really not that bad.

Very cool. I'm no expert at suspension tuning but it would appear you could eliminate some body roll without massive ill effects.
Acid666

Going with coilovers will help some, and I can then maybe look into a more aggressive front sway bar. The delrin bushings I put helped a ton, it only rubbed on two elements at this last course compared to when it rubbed on nearly EVERY weight shift. The wife said multiple times that she was afraid of turning too hard and "scraping the side of the car on the ground". LOL, I can only tell her so many times that it's not physically possible.

The car has a shudder coming from a dead stop. My research tells me it's either a busted motor mount, or tranny (not sure if this has a tranny mount since it's got a horizontal brace that connects the tranny to the rear diff), the pressure plates, or possibly a warped flywheel. I'm hoping that since it's an old car that it's just the motor mounts, which need to be replaced anyways. I just need to gain access to see if they look bad. Will probably look at it this week. It doesn't shake from a roll once it's moving, just a dead stop.
Acid666

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Acid666 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:53 pm
Going with coilovers will help some, and I can then maybe look into a more aggressive front sway bar. The delrin bushings I put helped a ton, it only rubbed on two elements at this last course compared to when it rubbed on nearly EVERY weight shift. The wife said multiple times that she was afraid of turning too hard and "scraping the side of the car on the ground". LOL, I can only tell her so many times that it's not physically possible.

The car has a shudder coming from a dead stop. My research tells me it's either a busted motor mount, or tranny (not sure if this has a tranny mount since it's got a horizontal brace that connects the tranny to the rear diff), the pressure plates, or possibly a warped flywheel. I'm hoping that since it's an old car that it's just the motor mounts, which need to be replaced anyways. I just need to gain access to see if they look bad. Will probably look at it this week. It doesn't shake from a roll once it's moving, just a dead stop.
That's the Power Plant Frame tee.
Check the diff mounts too for looseness. In fact just check them all.

Sways are always something any stock Miata needs, since you're going coils and STR build I assume, get something from Racing Beat or Flyin' Miata.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:25 am

Sways are always something any stock Miata needs, since you're going coils and STR build I assume, get something from Racing Beat or Flyin' Miata.
most people run a stiffer front bar and no rear bar, but for a street car I liked having my front set on stiffest and my rear set on softest.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

It's already got a Racing beat front bar, but I think it could be a little stiffer. I've got the urethane bushings for the diff (since I bought the full poly kit), I just haven't removed the diff to swap them out. Likely going to do it this week if I can get to it.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:39 am
most people run a stiffer front bar and no rear bar, but for a street car I liked having my front set on stiffest and my rear set on softest.
:dat:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:33 am

It's already got a Racing beat front bar, but I think it could be a little stiffer. I've got the urethane bushings for the diff (since I bought the full poly kit), I just haven't removed the diff to swap them out. Likely going to do it this week if I can get to it.
Clean your diff vent while you are in there, they have a tendency to clog after 25 years of neglect.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:35 am
Acid666 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:33 am

Clean your diff vent while you are in there, they have a tendency to clog after 25 years of neglect.
Yeah I was planning on looking at hoses and other shit and just doing a nice general cleaning once I get it out. Regrease shit, possibly paint it. I'm pretty sure I filled the diff fluid when I did my transmission flush a while back but I'll double check that as well. My friend said getting those poly bushings in the diff consists of a lot of cursing.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:08 am

Yeah I was planning on looking at hoses and other shit and just doing a nice general cleaning once I get it out. Regrease shit, possibly paint it. I'm pretty sure I filled the diff fluid when I did my transmission flush a while back but I'll double check that as well. My friend said getting those poly bushings in the diff consists of a lot of cursing.
:notwrong:

I'd just window weld the OE ones but you do you boo
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I have several bushing and bearing press tools now, can probably give you something to make the job a lot easier.
Acid666

Melon wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:28 pm

I have several bushing and bearing press tools now, can probably give you something to make the job a lot easier.
No thanks, I plan to make my life as miserable as possible and airboat my way into the kingdom of hell.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 pm

No thanks, I plan to make my life as miserable as possible and airboat my way into the kingdom of hell.
:gonbgud:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:04 pm

I admire your dedication.

Stop by after the race on Sunday.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:53 pm Yo dawg, buy her this sometime.

https://www.uniqueorchid.com/collection ... t-paw-ring
She'd hate the color, but would TOTALLY wear it.
Fuck man, that's pricey.... $19.95?

OH WAIT. HOLY SHIT!
"or 4 interest-free payments of $4.99 USD"
Game over. I'm ordering 5
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:21 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:53 pm Yo dawg, buy her this sometime.

https://www.uniqueorchid.com/collection ... t-paw-ring
She'd hate the color, but would TOTALLY wear it.
Fuck man, that's pricey.... $19.95?

OH WAIT. HOLY SHIT!
"or 4 interest-free payments of $4.99 USD"
Game over. I'm ordering 5
:lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

My NA had a shudder that was pretty bad at times, I think it was uneven clutch wear. Normally I would just do some 3rd gear starts to burn off a bit of material and then it would be fine for a month before coming back and repeating the process.