Strut your greasy stuff!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Huckleberry wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am

easy outs: never easy, never out.
Truth. My success rate with easy outs is not very good.
Yeah it was way too rusted. I couldn't go thru with it. I ended up buying some new drill bits and it cut thru that old shit like butter.
Acid666

Wouldn't be a proper Airboater if I didn't have one thing JB Welded on the Meowta.
Pulled the dash to look at the Speedo/Odometer not working. It's likely the vehicle speed sensor in the transmission because all of this seems ok.
Fixed the crack, or at least did an airboat patch job, hoping it will help with the rattle.

Replaced the tail light and 3rd brake light gaskets last night, installed new "slim" sun visor. Next on the list is to pull the steering rack and rebuild it with these new gaskets/bushings. Might do that Saturday. Not sure when my new driveshaft is coming in, but I'm hoping it will be in by the weekend before we leave for New Orleans to race.
Acid666

Bunch of updates. Been a while. Mainly because the Imgur app I'm using won't upload pics from my phone, so it's a pain in the ass to transfer shit and then upload from a computer.

Anywho. I rebuilt the steering rack, only to find that all the seals looked pretty good in it. So I slapped it all back together, disappointed that I didn't fix my leak. I then decided to look at the pump itself. Reinstalling the rack wasn't bad, but aligning the splined end on the steering wheel proved to be a bitch. Got it assembled, installed new LED lights on the dashboard (much better), got the driveshaft installed (holy shit I'm shocked the stock ujoint didn't fall apart on the road.

Whole underside of this thing is covered in power steering fluid. It's nasty and hard to trace.

Seriously. This thing was nearly falling out of place

Took me a while to figure it out, but this pulley is pressed hard as a mother onto the shaft and not made to be pulled off with a puller. I beat on the shaft forever and it didn't budge. Finally moved once I devised a way to get a 3 jaw puller clamped to it. Took a socket to fill the gap on one of the jaws, along with zip ties to keep it from twisting, and a box wrench to keep the socket from falling out as I twisted. Once I got it there, it took just a couple of turns and it popped right out.
I'm currently waiting for the power steering pump oring/seal rebuild kit to come in the mail. I think the leak might be on the front of the pump.

I tried to replace the PCV but it broke off and the plastic fell into the valve cover. So I had to open it up to get it out. I went ahead and checked the cams to see how bad they looked. A little wear in a few spots, but not as bad as this these other spare cams I've got.

Decided to cut some vinyl for the wife as well to finally make her feel complete. She wants purple, and she wants cat themed. So this is as clean as I can make it to be tastefully "race" and not too much of a bitch car.
Front end has a cat-ear Mazda logo as well. I've got the Euro Meowta plate in as well but I need to be able to get to the back of the bumper to mount some bolts. When I get time I'll do that.
Acid666

So last week I got the power steering pump finished with the rebuild. Connected everything in the car, cleaned off all the shit. Fill it up with power steering fluid, crank the engine to run the pump, turn the wheel a bunch to move some fluid. I hear a *SNAP* and there's fluid pouring out like a hose from the steering rack. Remove the rack (again) only to find that the top casting that holds the C-clip in has broken off. No idea what forces were put on the car to cause this, but it's not salvageable. I had to order another used one from teh intarwebz. YAY!

Also managed to get the motor from my friend's NB that was rebuilt by TrackDog Racing at 80K miles. It blew a rod bearing on one cylinder so the crank needs to be either polished or reground and then new journals installed. I need to remove it to take it to a shop and see if they can polish it out without having to grind it.
It's got the BP4 head on it so it should have a bit more flow than my other engine. I've decided that this engine is pretty much 90% of what I'm going to use, I just have to get it up to speed.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Impressive work on the cars. Wanna come help me with my POS.

Do you have a vinyl machine?
Acid666

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:08 am Impressive work on the cars. Wanna come help me with my POS.

Yes, I have a 24" vinyl plotter.
After getting (fingers crossed) this power steering leak fixed, I don't want to touch another thing mechanical for months.
Barnes93cb

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:08 am Impressive work on the cars. Wanna come help me with my POS.

After getting (fingers crossed) this power steering leak fixed, I don't want to touch another thing mechanical for months.

That makes much more sense. I looked into custom vinyls and they would have been like $100+ for that much to be done.
Fine.... I guess ill fix the car myself. Whens your next race day?
Acid666

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:47 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:56 am

That makes much more sense. I looked into custom vinyls and they would have been like $100+ for that much to be done.

Lololol, I've commented on this shit on reddit before. The amount people charge for custom numbers and shit online is outrageously overpriced. Vinyl is stupid cheap.all the shit for the meowta literally cost me maybe $5 in materials total.

If you want something cut, Holla atcha boy. I only cut stuff for friends now. It's so cheap I usually don't even ask for the money to mail it out. It only takes my spare time.

Next race I think is Jan 27th. We plan on hitting a lot more with the Meowta in the arsenal now. I'm debating on getting a set of slicks this season as well.
Barnes93cb

Acid666 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:52 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Lololol, I've commented on this shit on reddit before. The amount people charge for custom numbers and shit online is outrageously overpriced. Vinyl is stupid cheap.all the shit for the meowta literally cost me maybe $5 in materials total.

If you want something cut, Holla atcha boy. I only cut stuff for friends now. It's so cheap I usually don't even ask for the money to mail it out. It only takes my spare time.

Next race I think is Jan 27th. We plan on hitting a lot more with the Meowta in the arsenal now. I'm debating on getting a set of slicks this season as well.
Once I determine what I want on the car I will hit you up. At this point im more focused on fixing on the issues.

Please keep us updated on the results of your next event. What are you running? Autox? HPDE?
Acid666

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:04 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:52 pm

Once I determine what I want on the car I will hit you up. At this point im more focused on fixing on the issues.

Please keep us updated on the results of your next event. What are you running? Autox? HPDE?
I only really do Autocross. The track shit might be fun, but I don't wanna deal with the extended wear and tear on the car that it'll put. Let alone going thru tires. We might consider it with the Miata later since it's so cheap to run. I might have a trailer and a truck that's more capable of towing by that point as well. Personally I just like the aspect of autocross more. Only X amount of times around a course and you've got to really evaluate your runs to find those key time killing elements.
Acid666

Been a minute but there's always updates.
I mentioned the broken steering rack. Well, I ordered a used one from Treasure Miata or whatever it is, $150 to my door. Came in and dirty as fuck, inside and out. It was filthy. Inside was full of oil and water so I decided to strip it down and replace the internals with my internals which had new seals and orings and shit. Get it in the car and connected only to find the car's got a NASTY loud ass whine. It's loud and I know it's the pump, but I just rebuilt the pump.
Remove power steering pump and disassemble. See an oring that looks a little small so I replace with a larger one and the disc that sits above that oring is now spinning like it should. Put back together, whine gone.
YAY!

Replace high pressure pump hose as well (new)... Fill with fluid, no leaks! YAY I Finally fixed the fucking power steering leak and just have an oil burning problem now. Zero fucks given since I'm replacing the motor.
Onto that motor, I checked the diameter of the journals on the crank and none of them seem within spec of any oem grinds, so I'm not sure wtf to do with it. I'm going to strip it down and take the crank to a shop I found locally and as for their advice. I really only needs to be polished, but the one journal in question is a tad smaller than the others so I need to ask for their advice on what should happen and see if they can help me pick out some new rod bearings/bushings.

yesterday I finally cleaned out the trunk area. It was filthy and needed it. Hosed it out, tons of Purple Power and degreaser and running water. Pulled the jack out and cleaned/lubed it up to make sure it works.
Put a radio in it last weekend. It's a shitty one with a screen that you have to manual open and close (LOL). Came with a reverse cam so I wired it up. It's ok, but really not necessary for a car this small. No antenna so it only catches a couple of local stations. It doesn't take CDs either. LOLOLOL. Wife's dad bought it for her, and his love for cheap electronics from Wish.com made her finally realize how trash all this stuff is. She helped me install it and I finally showed her first hand how these cheap Chinese electronics are trash.

Did a heavy cut on the hood just to see how bad the paint is. Cleaned it up but it's def no good. Pictures are of the bottom of the hood polished and the top in as-is condition.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:06 am Been a minute but there's always updates.
I mentioned the broken steering rack. Well, I ordered a used one from Treasure Miata or whatever it is, $150 to my door. Came in and dirty as fuck, inside and out. It was filthy. Inside was full of oil and water so I decided to strip it down and replace the internals with my internals which had new seals and orings and shit. Get it in the car and connected only to find the car's got a NASTY loud ass whine. It's loud and I know it's the pump, but I just rebuilt the pump.
Remove power steering pump and disassemble. See an oring that looks a little small so I replace with a larger one and the disc that sits above that oring is now spinning like it should. Put back together, whine gone.
YAY!

Replace high pressure pump hose as well (new)... Fill with fluid, no leaks! YAY I Finally fixed the fucking power steering leak and just have an oil burning problem now. Zero fucks given since I'm replacing the motor.
Onto that motor, I checked the diameter of the journals on the crank and none of them seem within spec of any oem grinds, so I'm not sure wtf to do with it. I'm going to strip it down and take the crank to a shop I found locally and as for their advice. I really only needs to be polished, but the one journal in question is a tad smaller than the others so I need to ask for their advice on what should happen and see if they can help me pick out some new rod bearings/bushings.

yesterday I finally cleaned out the trunk area. It was filthy and needed it. Hosed it out, tons of Purple Power and degreaser and running water. Pulled the jack out and cleaned/lubed it up to make sure it works.
Put a radio in it last weekend. It's a shitty one with a screen that you have to manual open and close (LOL). Came with a reverse cam so I wired it up. It's ok, but really not necessary for a car this small. No antenna so it only catches a couple of local stations. It doesn't take CDs either. LOLOLOL. Wife's dad bought it for her, and his love for cheap electronics from Wish.com made her finally realize how trash all this stuff is. She helped me install it and I finally showed her first hand how these cheap Chinese electronics are trash.

Did a heavy cut on the hood just to see how bad the paint is. Cleaned it up but it's def no good. Pictures are of the bottom of the hood polished and the top in as-is condition.

nice work mang
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Couple of updates. The license plate finally came in. Wife was stupid excited about it. Basically it's now "complete" in her eyes sans the purple paint job.
Drilled a couple of holes in the front bumper for the Euro plate and got that mounted a couple of weeks ago.
Found some air vents from an Eclipse at the Pull-a-part that fit and replace 3 of the droopy eyeball vents. Only problem is it's from a ricer-mobile and the dude painted 2 of em white. I tried to acetone the paint off but it managed to fuck up the actual plastic itself. Painted them black and it's just too glossy. So I'm going to half ass keep my eyes peeled for another Eclipse at the pullapart and try to yank em out.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:14 pm Couple of updates. The license plate finally came in. Wife was stupid excited about it. Basically it's now "complete" in her eyes sans the purple paint job.
Drilled a couple of holes in the front bumper for the Euro plate and got that mounted a couple of weeks ago.
Found some air vents from an Eclipse at the Pull-a-part that fit and replace 3 of the droopy eyeball vents. Only problem is it's from a ricer-mobile and the dude painted 2 of em white. I tried to acetone the paint off but it managed to fuck up the actual plastic itself. Painted them black and it's just too glossy. So I'm going to half ass keep my eyes peeled for another Eclipse at the pullapart and try to yank em out.
:wub: it
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Did some airboatin' tonight. Found a guy 45 minutes south that's got a ton of NA parts, nearly anything you want. My friend grabbed some fenders for their lemons car, I grabbed 2 tail lights in good shape. Pullapart has a 91 also, so I stripped a few things from it. Sun visors, front turn signals (mine are rusty inside and rat), new door handle since mine's broken in a spot.
Also ordered some delrin spacers for the shocks to hopefully stop the tire rub on the top of the wheel well. I stacked them up in a 6mm-3mm-6mm and electrical taped em so they don't move too much. It's currently raining but I went to a big ass parking lot and did some big 2nd gear sweepers and figure 8's and I couldn't duplicate the rub. So I think it's nearly done.

The new front tails look cleaner even if it's a little cracked. The rears look 100 times better.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:56 pm I'm liking what I'm seeing here, nice work man.

Airboaters are the real car guys.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
For a fact. Only Chris has done such serious stuff, albeit on daddy's lift.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

And Huckleberry Hound. Pardon me Huck. You built an Impala from scratch like you were General Motors.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:14 pm Bunch of updates. Been a while. Mainly because the Imgur app I'm using won't upload pics from my phone, so it's a pain in the ass to transfer shit and then upload from a computer.

Anywho. I rebuilt the steering rack, only to find that all the seals looked pretty good in it. So I slapped it all back together, disappointed that I didn't fix my leak. I then decided to look at the pump itself. Reinstalling the rack wasn't bad, but aligning the splined end on the steering wheel proved to be a bitch. Got it assembled, installed new LED lights on the dashboard (much better), got the driveshaft installed (holy shit I'm shocked the stock ujoint didn't fall apart on the road.

Whole underside of this thing is covered in power steering fluid. It's nasty and hard to trace.

Seriously. This thing was nearly falling out of place

Took me a while to figure it out, but this pulley is pressed hard as a mother onto the shaft and not made to be pulled off with a puller. I beat on the shaft forever and it didn't budge. Finally moved once I devised a way to get a 3 jaw puller clamped to it. Took a socket to fill the gap on one of the jaws, along with zip ties to keep it from twisting, and a box wrench to keep the socket from falling out as I twisted. Once I got it there, it took just a couple of turns and it popped right out.
I'm currently waiting for the power steering pump oring/seal rebuild kit to come in the mail. I think the leak might be on the front of the pump.

I tried to replace the PCV but it broke off and the plastic fell into the valve cover. So I had to open it up to get it out. I went ahead and checked the cams to see how bad they looked. A little wear in a few spots, but not as bad as this these other spare cams I've got.

Decided to cut some vinyl for the wife as well to finally make her feel complete. She wants purple, and she wants cat themed. So this is as clean as I can make it to be tastefully "race" and not too much of a bitch car.
Front end has a cat-ear Mazda logo as well. I've got the Euro Meowta plate in as well but I need to be able to get to the back of the bumper to mount some bolts. When I get time I'll do that.
Bruh if you can put all that kitty cat shit on there you can DA out the scratches on that thing. Come on man.
Acid666

I did about 3 stages of heavy compounding with the heaviest cut of meguiers they make. It helped but there's still a lot of scratches in there. I'm going to be wrapping it anyways so all I really care about is the body is straight so it looks clean when I do finally wrap it.

My wife has some major anxiety and depression issues going on, so I do all I can to get her pumped about getting out of the house and in something she can customize and be proud of. As dinky as all the cat shit is, I get a kick out of it because it's one of the few things that really gets her motivated to get out and socialize.
I still drive it to work because there's zero fucks given. I murder this little car on my 10 minute trek to and from work every time I'm in it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:07 am I did about 3 stages of heavy compounding with the heaviest cut of meguiers they make. It helped but there's still a lot of scratches in there. I'm going to be wrapping it anyways so all I really care about is the body is straight so it looks clean when I do finally wrap it.

My wife has some major anxiety and depression issues going on, so I do all I can to get her pumped about getting out of the house and in something she can customize and be proud of. As dinky as all the cat shit is, I get a kick out of it because it's one of the few things that really gets her motivated to get out and socialize.
I still drive it to work because there's zero fucks given. I murder this little car on my 10 minute trek to and from work every time I'm in it.
What's up man? None ofmy bizness but you seem to have it together on the job and hobbies, you can spell pretty good for being in Louisiana, a helluva lot better than Brad, and you make billet outboard motors.

How can I help?
Acid666

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:13 am
Acid666 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:07 am I did about 3 stages of heavy compounding with the heaviest cut of meguiers they make. It helped but there's still a lot of scratches in there. I'm going to be wrapping it anyways so all I really care about is the body is straight so it looks clean when I do finally wrap it.

What's up man? None ofmy bizness but you seem to have it together on the job and hobbies, you can spell pretty good for being in Louisiana, a helluva lot better than Brad, and you make billet outboard motors.

How can I help?
heh, it's cool man. We're ok. I was just saying that she's got some problems and the car and racing is one of the few things that really gets her motivated. Her anxiety and depression comes from multiple places, she often gets migraines and headaches, and sleeps a lot as a combination of all of it. We're trying to get her scheduled in to a neurologist to get some scans done to see if we can find something that's triggering some of this bs. She doesn't really have any hobbies so I jump on anything she's remotely interested in and try to get involved with it. We also go to couples counseling to keep things on an even keel. So we're ok, it might be a chemical thing, or something else in her head that's the sole cause of some of the other things. She beat cancer as a kid, so there may be some connection there.

And as for billet outboard motors, I got word that the next thing on boat guy's list is to tear apart some Porsche 911 motors and billet them, and then possibly move onto the GT3 RS. So I may be reverse engineering some Porsche blocks and modeling those bad bitches this year.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Acid666 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:08 am
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:13 am

How can I help?
heh, it's cool man. We're ok. I was just saying that she's got some problems and the car and racing is one of the few things that really gets her motivated. Her anxiety and depression comes from multiple places, she often gets migraines and headaches, and sleeps a lot as a combination of all of it. We're trying to get her scheduled in to a neurologist to get some scans done to see if we can find something that's triggering some of this bs. She doesn't really have any hobbies so I jump on anything she's remotely interested in and try to get involved with it. We also go to couples counseling to keep things on an even keel. So we're ok, it might be a chemical thing, or something else in her head that's the sole cause of some of the other things. She beat cancer as a kid, so there may be some connection there.

And as for billet outboard motors, I got word that the next thing on boat guy's list is to tear apart some Porsche 911 motors and billet them, and then possibly move onto the GT3 RS. So I may be reverse engineering some Porsche blocks and modeling those bad bitches this year.
I hope that the first paragraph stuff improves for her, but it sounds like you're doing a great job supporting and working through it.

The second paragraph stuff :doe: , badass! In4deetz.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:08 am

i haz degreee i like mooters
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

I take my wife to Pull-a-part to find out what it's all about. And what's she grab?

For in case we fuck any up when making the cat ear Mazda logos.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:19 pm I take my wife to Pull-a-part to find out what it's all about. And what's she grab?

For in case we fuck any up when making the cat ear Mazda logos.
nice
brain go brrrrrr