The budget beater Meowta build

Strut your greasy stuff!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

So I figure I'll start my own thread for the Meowta. My friend and I have done a lot of little things. Lots of cleaning up and fluids.
I've got an excel spreadsheet where I'm going to price out all of my money spent on it so I can figure out what it's actually costing me. I've got it split into 3 columns, Cosmetic, Maintenance, and Replacement parts. So far I've rebuilt the shifter, changed out the antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid, 2 new belts, new negative battery clamp. Soon I'll pull of a few rusted things and grind them down and repaint with some Krylon or something.

Overall the paint's there, but not in great shape. I DA polished half of the trunk with a heavy cut and finally saw all the swirls. So I've got clear coat to work with, but it's not gonna pop very much. I'm likely going to wrap it for the wife anyways once I get the body panels straightened out and lined up.

When I changed the belts out I had to remove the throttle body to get better access to the alternator to rotate it for the tensioner, and OMG it looks like Venom came stick his dick down past the throttle blade and came everywhere in there. It's not that hard carbon buildup that you've got to chip away at... It's greasy like you dipped your finger in a bucket of grease. It's coated and I'm not dealing with that. I'm going to rebuild the engine I've got on the side and just completely replace this whole thing. Then tear this one down and to the same for another car, or to sell. I'm debating on buying another Miata to daily since the wife loves this one.

Once we saw how nasty it was, we just decided to seafoam it.
Acid666

One thing I will say after autocrossing this Sunday, holy shit it's neutral. The shocks are no good, and these 400 tread wear 185s are good for nothing but dailying, but man... You turned, this car pointed and went. The body roll changed that up a bit. But it was textbook. Touch the brakes in a tight turn and the rear comes out and trailbrakes the back end into that corner. It felt really good to do that in an underpowered car and be able to control it. It's funny but I don't find the power to be all that bad and can totally see how doing suspension mods alone is really what you need. Makes me realize I don't need to worry about power for a while. After really watching the other Miatas turn on the same corners as me but do it with more conviction, it makes me specifically want THAT.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:27 pm So I figure I'll start my own thread for the Meowta. My friend and I have done a lot of little things. Lots of cleaning up and fluids.
I've got an excel spreadsheet where I'm going to price out all of my money spent on it so I can figure out what it's actually costing me. I've got it split into 3 columns, Cosmetic, Maintenance, and Replacement parts. So far I've rebuilt the shifter, changed out the antifreeze, oil, transmission fluid, 2 new belts, new negative battery clamp. Soon I'll pull of a few rusted things and grind them down and repaint with some Krylon or something.

Overall the paint's there, but not in great shape. I DA polished half of the trunk with a heavy cut and finally saw all the swirls. So I've got clear coat to work with, but it's not gonna pop very much. I'm likely going to wrap it for the wife anyways once I get the body panels straightened out and lined up.

When I changed the belts out I had to remove the throttle body to get better access to the alternator to rotate it for the tensioner, and OMG it looks like Venom came stick his dick down past the throttle blade and came everywhere in there. It's not that hard carbon buildup that you've got to chip away at... It's greasy like you dipped your finger in a bucket of grease. It's coated and I'm not dealing with that. I'm going to rebuild the engine I've got on the side and just completely replace this whole thing. Then tear this one down and to the same for another car, or to sell. I'm debating on buying another Miata to daily since the wife loves this one.

Once we saw how nasty it was, we just decided to seafoam it.
5/7 Airboat Ozone Layer destruction, would watch again.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:27 pm

if its not repainted NA's were single stage paint
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

It was actually way worse than this at one point. My garage was full, the street had a smoke screen passing across it. When I took it around the block the I was catching up my original smoke trail like the Nokia Snake game where you're about to catch your own tail.
I've got some fun plans for this car. But taking it out and doing a shake down before the wife gets in it gives me some good ideas of what I want her to do. We may stay in ES for a few events. She needs to completely feel this car stock so she understands all the mods we're going to do.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

That's pretty sick, i looked into what was involved in tracking the :gorf: and it's close to 5k in wheels/pads/ sport alignment/fees etc and it makes more sense to grab up an old Miata and what you're doing here. Look forward to the spreadsheet mang.
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:10 pm That's pretty sick, i looked into what was involved in tracking the :gorf: and it's close to 5k in wheels/pads/ sport alignment/fees etc and it makes more sense to grab up an old Miata and what you're doing here. Look forward to the spreadsheet mang.

This is mainly for the wife to get her into her own car for autocross. Us codriving the vette takes its toll on the tires. Plus I wanted another fun car that's more of a daily driver on occasion. The parts are stupid cheap and if anything happens to this :whocares:
If I get a 2nd one it'll be great because I can interchange parts and wheels and shit. And possibly max one out for a hardcore racer and keep this one for streeting and autocrossing in another class.
The wife wants PURPLE everything, and CAT everything. I'll pay for the maintenance and mechanicals, but she can't fund the crazy cat lady shit
Acid666

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:10 pm That's pretty sick, i looked into what was involved in tracking the :gorf: and it's close to 5k in wheels/pads/ sport alignment/fees etc and it makes more sense to grab up an old Miata and what you're doing here. Look forward to the spreadsheet mang.
:doit:

You can find pre-built ones for track for pretty darn cheap (probably $5k). Only problem is if you're tall :sad: .
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm

You can find pre-built ones for track for pretty darn cheap (probably $5k). Only problem is if you're tall :sad: .
It's on the table along with an MR2. Definitely would do a stock class something small and nimble over throwing new shoes/alignment etx on the blue car. Plus I can't afford to break my DD and for the price of admission just a few extra dollars gets a no compromises track toy.

Right now i am about to embark on a journey of learning the bass guitar (again) while my little guy learns to play drums. Costs will add up so I need the dust to settle before throwing more shit at my monthly expenses. It's purely a pipe dream, but knowing the total all in cost will be 5/7 and Acid is great with these things.

Its a great thread, definitely following closely.
Acid666

Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:16 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm

It's on the table along with an MR2. Definitely would do a stock class something small and nimble over throwing new shoes/alignment etx on the blue car. Plus I can't afford to break my DD and for the price of admission just a few extra dollars gets a no compromises track toy.

Right now i am about to embark on a journey of learning the bass guitar (again) while my little guy learns to play drums. Costs will add up so I need the dust to settle before throwing more shit at my monthly expenses. It's purely a pipe dream, but knowing the total all in cost will be 5/7 and Acid is great with these things.

Lol, 2 things here. If you're interested in an MR2, my boy josh is selling his dad's soon. I think it's an 02. I drove his 02 yesterday and holy shit that thing sticks. Him and his dad have the same year. If you're remotely interested I can get you more info.

If you're interested in bass gear, holla. I just gave away a Gallien Krueger back line 210 combo amp to my boss for free that I didn't need. I've got a bunch of other gear that I'm not really using so there's a remote chance that I may have something you're looking for. If you want a cheap beater bass, go to Rondo music online and find a budget bass. I got a 6 string fretless from there for $212 shipped and was amazed at the quality for the price. Budget gear that's not the best, but definitely a great bang for the buck when you're looking for gear to just tinker with.

A friend is trying to sell me some Pfadt coilovers for the c5 for $400, but I really don't wanna slam the vette any more than it already is. I'd have to get them rebuilt anyways. I can use that cash for the miata rims.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:39 pm
Tarspin wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:16 pm

Lol, 2 things here. If you're interested in an MR2, my boy josh is selling his dad's soon. I think it's an 02. I drove his 02 yesterday and holy shit that thing sticks. Him and his dad have the same year. If you're remotely interested I can get you more info.

If you're interested in bass gear, holla. I just gave away a Gallien Krueger back line 210 combo amp to my boss for free that I didn't need. I've got a bunch of other gear that I'm not really using so there's a remote chance that I may have something you're looking for. If you want a cheap beater bass, go to Rondo music online and find a budget bass. I got a 6 string fretless from there for $212 shipped and was amazed at the quality for the price. Budget gear that's not the best, but definitely a great bang for the buck when you're looking for gear to just tinker with.

A friend is trying to sell me some Pfadt coilovers for the c5 for $400, but I rely don't wanna slam the vette any more than it already is. I'd have to get them rebuilt anyways. I can use that cash for the miata rims.
I have an Ibanez SoundGear four string and a small Ibanez amp that's just good enough to output the sound in my living room. My first amp was too big and I sold it to my cousin. I never really liked the feel of the Ibanez when I first got it but I'll have it professionally looked at and will keep using it until I can at least figure out how to play it. I learned a few songs from bass tabs the first go around but kind of sucked due to a lack of practice, this time I'm getting myself and my kid some lessons, if he sticks with it and really loves it I'll find him a set of drums or maybe get a digital drum kit that he can smash at low volume. They are 900CAD but really cool, i switched some settings and there is a ton of sound clips, we jammed to some jazz, and also found a setting that makes them sound pure Phil Collins like.

I'm hoping for a unicorn 1997-1999 MR2, they come in a t-bar roof config and in good shape and cheap lol. That body style resonates with me and i think Troy exemplified it's track abilities and mechanical simplicity. Sold me on it last year.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:07 pm :doit:

:word:

Acid Air Boat Escapades are 5/7.

FWIW, autox won't break your car, HPDE will. If you want to autox, just take the R to try it out. Nothing more to lose than a little tire wear.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Tarspin wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:03 am
I'm hoping for a unicorn 1997-1999 MR2, they come in a t-bar roof config and in good shape and cheap lol. That body style resonates with me and i think Troy exemplified it's track abilities and mechanical simplicity. Sold me on it last year.
Troy had a 3rd gen, like the 02.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

This thread is off to an excellent start. Airboating at it's finest up in here :popcorn:

I'd love to own a beater track Miata. Would be lots of fun.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:34 pm
The goat made me :lolol: ever damn time.

See this thread is why I sold the STi for the GTI. In the spring I should have the flexibility to do something like this since I won't be staring down the barrel of a $30k car note.

:checks CL:

Holy hell there are a lot of Meatas on Craigslist right now.
Acid666

coogles wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:51 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:34 pm
The goat made me :lolol: ever damn time.

See this thread is why I sold the STi for the GTI. In the spring I should have the flexibility to do something like this since I won't be staring down the barrel of a $30k car note.

:checks CL:

Holy hell there are a lot of Meatas on Craigslist right now.

The aftermarket is unreal, and there's stock parts and part outs EVERYWHERE. The thing is that you can kind of pick your budget and condition. There's a big difference between a $2,000 Miata and a $3,000, and the same between a $3,000 and $4,000. You want a cleaner body and 150K miles, you're in the 3,500-4K range. You want something with mileage and some dents but runs good and likely has already had an engine swap done? The $2K range is perfect. The engines are cheap, and people swap them out on the weekends. So it's not uncommon to be looking for some and see "230K on the body, 115K on the engine" because a lot of people have updated their shit.
I'm going to do that with the extra 1.8L I bought on the side, and then take this one that's in the car and rebuild it possibly differently to either sell or to go into another budget Miata. It's funny but I'm more excited about this car than the Corvette because everything is so cheap. It's a cool little project car that runs good but just needs some TLC.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Acid666 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:08 am The aftermarket is unreal, and there's stock parts and part outs EVERYWHERE. The thing is that you can kind of pick your budget and condition. There's a big difference between a $2,000 Miata and a $3,000, and the same between a $3,000 and $4,000. You want a cleaner body and 150K miles, you're in the 3,500-4K range. You want something with mileage and some dents but runs good and likely has already had an engine swap done? The $2K range is perfect. The engines are cheap, and people swap them out on the weekends. So it's not uncommon to be looking for some and see "230K on the body, 115K on the engine" because a lot of people have updated their shit.
I'm going to do that with the extra 1.8L I bought on the side, and then take this one that's in the car and rebuild it possibly differently to either sell or to go into another budget Miata. It's funny but I'm more excited about this car than the Corvette because everything is so cheap. It's a cool little project car that runs good but just needs some TLC.
Sounds very :fuckyeah:

Plus, being able to thrash on something that isn't a $30k DD would be quite nice. I kept thinking I wanted to autox the STi or take it to the track, but then the EJ would asplode, Subaru would void my warranty for abuse, and I'd be stuck with a $6k rebuild. Fuck that noise.

Cheap NA/NB for my first RWD experience seems to be where it's at.
Acid666

Did some airboatin today. Grinded off the rust from the windshield wipers and Kyron painted em. Zero fucks for masking the spring or whatever underneath.
Also pulled the hardtop off and scraped the faded purple window tint off. I'm going to retint it and clean it up more this weekend when I can see. It's dark now and I ran out of daylight. Hence why the after pics of the wipers is in the dark.

Acid666

Oh yeah, new windshield coming tomorrow.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Youve owned the car 2 weeks and have already done more racing with it than me.
Acid666

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:41 am Youve owned the car 2 weeks and have already done more racing with it than me.
Meh it's just one autocross. Plenty more on the books. It gets better gas mileage than the truck so I take it out to and from work. Thing that sucks is that it's difficult to actually have fun in the city with it because there's constantly someone pulling out in front of you or taking FOREVER to turn (ruining my 40 mph hairpin 90° turn race lines).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I loved mine in town, just get sideways at every turn at 5 mph.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:04 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:41 am Youve owned the car 2 weeks and have already done more racing with it than me.
Meh it's just one autocross. Plenty more on the books. It gets better gas mileage than the truck so I take it out to and from work. Thing that sucks is that it's difficult to actually have fun in the city with it because there's constantly someone pulling out in front of you or taking FOREVER to turn (ruining my 40 mph hairpin 90° turn race lines).
Thats so much of this cars fun. Being able to enjoy yourself at low speeds.
Acid666

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:13 am
Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:04 am

Thats so much of this cars fun. Being able to enjoy yourself at low speeds.
The first time I really took it out on the road and started to hammer it through some turns it amazed me how when I'm high in the rpms I can dog it and get the rear to bark out. It's fun to actually control a neutral car like that. The vette can do it but man, it's so much easier to get yourself into trouble with that car. I can beat the Miata like woah and it's fun the whole time. Except when I have to hit the brakes for people. GO FASTER PEOPLE! DRIVE MIATAS! YOU FAST AT EVERY SPEED Y0!