The budget beater Meowta build

Strut your greasy stuff!
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Acid666 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:24 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:13 am

Thats so much of this cars fun. Being able to enjoy yourself at low speeds.
The first time I really took it out on the road and started to hammer it through some turns it amazed me how when I'm high in the rpms I can dog it and get the rear to bark out. It's fun to actually control a neutral car like that. The vette can do it but man, it's so much easier to get yourself into trouble with that car. I can beat the Miata like woah and it's fun the whole time. Except when I have to hit the brakes for people. GO FASTER PEOPLE! DRIVE MIATAS! YOU FAST AT EVERY SPEED Y0!
Have you hit a clover leaf or on ramp yet? Being able to jump into one at the top of third and then kick the rear a little on exit is quite the experience. I do not regret leaving FWD.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:28 am Have you hit a clover leaf or on ramp yet? Being able to jump into one at the top of third and then kick the rear a little on exit is quite the experience. I do not regret leaving FWD.
Lol, I believe you, but the one cloverleaf we have isn't really ideal. I'll find some cool spots locally sometime.
Acid666

Got a little bit of work done on the car this weekend. We're prepping for our trip to D.C. Wednesday so I really haven't done much to the car other than drive it a bit. The cupholders came in, so that's nice. Haynes manual as well.
I got around to tinting the rear window. First time I've done something with a compound curve so I had to pull out the heat gun. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it's pulling in oneeeeeeeee little spot in a corner. I shoved a rag there to force it to hold down while it bakes in the sun for a few days and I can remove it.
Don't have any pics of it finished on the car since it was too dark. Will update later.

Next week I'll give it a proper wash and polish of the paint to see if I can get the white to pop a little bit. And to pull a couple of body panels off and see if I can pop the dented parts in to at least smooth it out.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:19 am Got a little bit of work done on the car this weekend. We're prepping for our trip to D.C. Wednesday so I really haven't done much to the car other than drive it a bit. The cupholders came in, so that's nice. Haynes manual as well.
I got around to tinting the rear window. First time I've done something with a compound curve so I had to pull out the heat gun. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it's pulling in oneeeeeeeee little spot in a corner. I shoved a rag there to force it to hold down while it bakes in the sun for a few days and I can remove it.
Don't have any pics of it finished on the car since it was too dark. Will update later.

Next week I'll give it a proper wash and polish of the paint to see if I can get the white to pop a little bit. And to pull a couple of body panels off and see if I can pop the dented parts in to at least smooth it out.
I would have sent you my haynes manual. I have yet to open it out of the wrapper.

Let me know how the panel pulling goes. I have a few little dings I would love to hit from the inside.
Acid666

Got the other motor home. Bought a Harbor Freight engine stand to slap it on. He gave me a gasket rebuild kit as well, so that's cool.
It's gonna be a few months before I really tear into it, but I wanted to get it on a stand so I can move it around out of the way. When I get a chance I'll clean it up and loosely bolt on the heads and other parts so I can keep it all in one piece. He said it should have about 80K miles on it, so I might not have to do too much to hone it or anything. We'll see once I actually tear it apart.

Acid666

I'll get some cleaner pics tonight, but my friend and I tore open the oil pan to take a look at a few things. Looked at the heads a little more in depth as well. I've been busy as hell, spending last week in Houston, and this weekend racing in Baton Rouge... Sunday was my only day off and only day home.
One of the cams for the head looks like it's got a bit of gouging in a spot, so it's likely got to go. Crank, rods, pistons and the block are likely good. I pulled the carfax off this motor from the vin on the oil pan. Last recorded mileage shows 111K. I might piece together some parts from a friend's 1.8 that likely has just a broken rod and rebuild that.

Why you ask? Because when we returned from the race this weekend in Baton Rouge, I had to put 3 quarts of oil in this bad boy. That's 3 quarts over probably about 300-400 miles. So yeah. It's burning way worse than I thought. At least now I know how bad it is. We might just send it. Lol.
I might clear off some shelf space tonight and start disassembling it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:03 am That's 3 quarts over probably about 300-400 miles. So yeah. It's burning way worse than I thought. At least now I know how bad it is. We might just send it. Lol.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:15 am
Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:03 am That's 3 quarts over probably about 300-400 miles. So yeah. It's burning way worse than I thought. At least now I know how bad it is. We might just send it. Lol.

Lol. I kinda wanna send it off in some great glory, but I do wanna possibly rebuild that block as well. Talked to my friend who's got the other 1.8 laying around from his k swapped miata. He said to come grab it. So I might use pieces from the 2 motors.

After a little more thinking, I might do the k24 swap. It seems like the perfect amount of horsepower and within a reasonable budget.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:58 am

Lol. I kinda wanna send it off in some great glory, but I do wanna possibly rebuild that block as well. Talked to my friend who's got the other 1.8 laying around from his k swapped miata. He said to come grab it. So I might use pieces from the 2 motors.

After a little more thinking, I might do the k24 swap. It seems like the perfect amount of horsepower and within a reasonable budget.
those are two very different paths, lol. The swap needs LOTS of parts. It is a perfect pairing doe. mod classes doe.

Is c's 1.8 a runner with issues or was it on its way out?
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:24 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:58 am

those are two very different paths, lol. The swap needs LOTS of parts. It is a perfect pairing doe. mod classes doe.

Is c's 1.8 a runner with issues or was it on its way out?
Oh I'm not comparing the 2. I'm just saying that I wanna do a quick refresh on this other 1.8L and throw it in the car to deal with the oil burning of the current motor. The K swap is for further down the road. Their full kit is about $5,300 sans the motor... Plus some odds and ends for ac lines and whatever else. I was considering an LS but I'm easily looking at 2-3 times the price of a k swap.
Carl's 1.8 has a blown rod I think. But the head were reworked about 30K miles ago. So he's got some good parts, and I've got some good parts. I was gonna combine the two and throw that in the car for a stock setup... And then look into the K next year. We're also likely to get the wife's inherited mustang early. So that might be a separate project. Her dad is going to bring it from El Paso to his place in Denham Springs but won't have space or time for it so he's wondering if we can store it at the house. Which means I'll be looking into building my shop to help alleviate that
Acid666

Here's the closeup of the cam that just ain't gonna cut it.
Already talking to Carl. Likely gonna grab some parts off him and get to some fancy airboat lernin. If I was down for some real airboat'n, I'd be breakin out the J.B. Weld.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:50 pm Here's the closeup of the cam that just ain't gonna cut it.
Already talking to Carl. Likely gonna grab some parts off him and get to some fancy airboat lernin. If I was down for some real airboat'n, I'd be breakin out the J.B. Weld.

yea just replace :dat:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

That cam.

:disgust:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I really want this to be :sendit:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Did some garage cleaning this weekend to make space for the rebuild. I've got ziplock bags and zip ties out the yang readying their body for some oily goodness.
Got all the rods and pistons out, and organized. Colors determine which side faces what, and which piston it is from the front.

Center mains, front to back

Joo Lykez mah cheap Sam's case that houses teh preciousssssssssssssss?
It cost me $9, and perfectly fits dem airboat pieces.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:neat:

You're a smart mofo, mofo.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Use some of that oxy contin clean on them pistons you.

Piyaow!
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Acid666

And some FHLEHX SEEEL!

Drove the Miata on some fun runs at Delta's event. My god, it's a boat. First corner trying to get a time to compare to Kendra's... Holy fuck, it spun out sideways. Wheels, Tires, shocks and possibly a front sway coming ASAP.
Acid666

Went ahead and did it. I ordered Good-Win Racing's "Street Kit". $1K and comes with adjustable Konis, front sway and sway reinforcement bar, exhaust, K&N drop in filter. I ordered Konig Dial In 15X7s, and have 205 Rival 1.5s coming in as well.

I'm on the fence about ordering the full poly bushing kit and the sport bump stocks. It's an extra $350 or so.... But Alan's right, while I'm in there with easy access I really should do it. Debating on calling them and adding it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:18 pm Went ahead and did it. I ordered Good-Win Racing's "Street Kit". $1K and comes with adjustable Konis, front sway and sway reinforcement bar, exhaust, K&N drop in filter. I ordered Konig Dial In 15X7s, and have 205 Rival 1.5s coming in as well.

I'm on the fence about ordering the full poly bushing kit and the sport bump stocks. It's an extra $350 or so.... But Alan's right, while I'm in there with easy access I really should do it. Debating on calling them and adding it.
I would. I had poly on my miata and its really not harsh; the car is just too light.
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:19 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:18 pm Went ahead and did it. I ordered Good-Win Racing's "Street Kit". $1K and comes with adjustable Konis, front sway and sway reinforcement bar, exhaust, K&N drop in filter. I ordered Konig Dial In 15X7s, and have 205 Rival 1.5s coming in as well.

I would. I had poly on my miata and its really not harsh; the car is just too light.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna call em and see if I can add it if it changes my shipping charge (which is f'n $98)
Acid666

Done deal. Ordered the poly bushing kit and longer bump stops.
The bushings aren't legal for ES, but I DGAF. The ones on the car now have got to be beyond shot.
COME AT ME BRO!

For reference, these are the rims I ordered
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:35 pm
The bushings aren't legal for ES, but I DGAF. The ones on the car now have got to be beyond shot.
COME AT ME BRO!

:whocares:
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:49 pm
Acid666 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:35 pm
COME AT ME BRO!

You know who will care. The fastest gunslinger in the land will contest it. Because he was the hall monitor in middle school.
And because he's racing in ES now.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:51 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:49 pm

You know who will care. The fastest gunslinger in the land will contest it. Because he was the hall monitor in middle school.
And because he's racing in ES now.
:notsure: who dis is.
brain go brrrrrr