Dat 4Runner Life Doe - Adventures in a T4R

Strut your greasy stuff!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:54 pm
Dbest wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:34 pm The sent hardware for a 3/4 and 7/8 length rack instead of a full length rack, which means no hardware to drill and install front mounts.

SO! MUCH! RAGE!

They called their local retailers to see if anyone had any hardware in stock, no luck. They are overnighting the missing parts again.
How far away are they? Someone should be driving some hardware to you right now.
:dat: find a same-day courier service and get it to you tonight.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

They are in Idaho
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Dbest wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:05 pmThey are in Idaho
Tell them to get on a plane and get your hardware to you.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Apex wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:58 pm
Dbest wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:05 pmThey are in Idaho
Tell them to get on a plane and get your hardware to you.
That would be awesome but I’m trying to be reasonable and realistic, I have a different angle I’m going to try to play and see what happens.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Right now it’s assembled minus the wind deflector, the rear 4 rear mounting points have bolts through them to just hold the rack loosely in place for now. I’m not drilling shit until the proper parts are in my hands ready to go.

There’s a few things I don’t like but then again I’m never actually satisfied with anything. It’s the curse of being a detail oriented picky son of a bitch with high standards lol

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So get this. They overnight me hardware again, this time the full bag of hardware for the full length rack and wouldn’t you know it, it’s missing 2 spacers from the kit lol. At this point it’s fine, 3 attempts and 2 wrong/incomplete hardware kits has gotten me enough parts to do the install. But I’m not going to install it, at least not all the way.

All things considered it’s not up to my standards. For being a kit made of mostly off the shelf parts it contains 2 unique pieces - the side rails. They are laser cut exactly the same (even the company logo is mirror imaged so it technically backwards on one side but that makes my almost OCD happy that’s its symmetrical). Then the 3 mounting feet are bent into place, that’s it. Pretty simple in theory, but in reality the one side has a nice consistent radius to the bend and the other side is a sharp crease of a bend. The result is over half an inch difference from the top of the middle foot to the load surface of the crossbars on the right side vs the left. I can space it out with some washers under the spacers to help it level out a bit but I’m not stacking half an inch of washers and then buying longer bolts so they will secure.

I told them they can either refund me the full purchase plus shipping and they can arrange the pickup of the parts or I can toss them if they don’t want them back. Or they can get me matching symmetrical even side rails and I have them to me in no later than 3 weeks from now so I’ll have them when I’m home that weekend.

Super disappointed. Great customer service, great looking product, garbage execution on every part of everything else.

I’m going remount it and seal it without drilling for the front mount points, just put some rubber bumpers under the feet for now and at least still be able to pick up my tent and get it home today.

Maybe I will end up with SSO rack after all.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I have to say, this is what pisses me off about aftermarket stuff. I researched the shit out this thing and nothing but praise. I think people either honestly don’t know the difference and don’t pick up on these little details that are shit (there more than I listed, that’s just the biggest single issue), or they are blinded by excitement and can’t objectively review something because they are trying to justify the purchase or flaws to themselves.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I just expect that nothing ever fits perfectly. There's always some amount of "fabrication" required when you start doing anything to stuff, whether it's cars or grills or computers. :iono:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Dbest wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:52 pm I have to say, this is what pisses me off about aftermarket stuff. I researched the shit out this thing and nothing but praise. I think people either honestly don’t know the difference and don’t pick up on these little details that are shit (there more than I listed, that’s just the biggest single issue), or they are blinded by excitement and can’t objectively review something because they are trying to justify the purchase or flaws to themselves.
OE engineers are morons bruh the aftermarket has all the answers. ;)
This is why I am mostly against modding. It’s so hard to find a product worth a damn that isn’t showered in blind faith of the inept.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I can understand universal things needing some tweaking but if its a bolt on part made for a specific vehicle and you're paying a price of quality I expect quality. If I wanted to tweak and modify the roof rack for example I would have save hundreds of dollars and bought one of the cheap knock off versions of this rack and made that work. I paid quite a bit of money for a simple design because I expected the execution to be damn near flawless. Their instructions say you may have to to use a fender washer with the spacer because of slight variances in the roof of the vehicle, that's a far cry from the front of the rack hits the roof when placed on the spacers and if you want it to level left to right you need to stack over 1/2" of washers under the spacers on the right side until the bolts are to short to reach.

After talking to Prinsu they are going to send out new side rails Tuesday. Of course they are just shocked, they have never seen any of the problems I've been having and it's just coincidence that all the issues have been happening to me. This is all news them. They want the original side rails back so they can try to figure out what happened so they are going to arrange pickup when I'm ready. I told them I used enough washers to just not damage the vehicle and I rigged up some rubber feet for the front because there's no way I'm drilling into my roof to bolt on something of this quality. So I got it at least functional enough to pick up the tent and do what I needed it to do. I also told them realistically I'm not going to touch the roof rack again until mid to late October so while I appreciate they want to get the new rails out Tuesday, I asked they they take their time adn tipple check that they send 2 rails that are correctly cut, correctly bent, matching and symmetrical. We'll see what happens.

In the mean time, tent pickup!

Littleman was pretty excited to check it out
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:hue:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Quick dumb question, can the roof support 500lbs of humans+gear as such? Normally roof racks have a limit of 150/200lbs.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote:Quick dumb question, can the roof support 500lbs of humans+gear as such? Normally roof racks have a limit of 150/200lbs.

Factorybroof racks are generally thin metal or a heavy duty plastic. They generally have a relatively low rating. The beefy aftermarket
Ones are usually rated for 700-800 lbs of static weight (parked) and around 300 lbs of dynamic weight ( while in motion, hitting bumps, extra forces applied).
max225

Dbest wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:30 pm
max225 wrote:Quick dumb question, can the roof support 500lbs of humans+gear as such? Normally roof racks have a limit of 150/200lbs.

Factorybroof racks are generally thin metal or a heavy duty plastic. They generally have a relatively low rating. The beefy aftermarket
Ones are usually rated for 700-800 lbs of static weight (parked) and around 300 lbs of dynamic weight ( while in motion, hitting bumps, extra forces applied).
But what do they attach to? You’d have to do some fab work and attach to some kind of roof support structure and need to get welded or screwed down. The sheet metal itself can’t possibly handle that big of a load
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

The load bearing points are tied into the roofs structural support. It’s tied on where the side and and roof are welded onto the skeleton of the body. It’s not mounted to the sheet metal if that’s what your picturing.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Quick random mod, with big ass rear dampeners, especially with remote reservoirs they are mounted up side down in comparison to stock. That means the shafts, although hardened and strong are susceptible to impacts from debris, especially rocks on high speed dirt and gravel road. The most common cause of needing a rebuild in a setup like this are impacts on the shaft causing a burr that tears up the shock seal. You can replace the shafts and rebuild the shocks with seals for relatively cheap, but its money, time, and effort I don’t want to spend and down time I don’t want to deal with.

These steel shin guards make for some cheap insurance. They come in bare steel so I just brushed on a couple coats of the same “tractor, truck, and implement” paint I used on my frame before mounting the sliders.

max225

Dbest wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:53 pm The load bearing points are tied into the roofs structural support. It’s tied on where the side and and roof are welded onto the skeleton of the body. It’s not mounted to the sheet metal if that’s what your picturing.
Wasn’t sure how it works on the 4Runner hence the question. I know there were quite a few issues when it came to doing this on a Jeep, and it requires some exoskeleton type brackets to support the weight of everything.

Cool looking setup doe
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So new side rails got delivered yesterday. I won’t be home to check them out for a couple weeks but it’s kind of funny they are now saying they would like me to fold the old rails in half and toss them out. I guess they aren’t real interested in trying to figure out where things went wrong.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

If I was a kid of your son's age I would want that tent setup assembled 24/7. It's basically a treehouse, which is utopia to the under 10 yoa set. Throw a flatscreen and a cold beer in there, and it's utopia to the 50 yoa set.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Little man definitely thinks it’s awesome, he loves it. No flat screen but I do have a contraption that lets you hang a tablet at an angle for watching a movie in the tent.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Well we had our road trip - 11 days, 2700 miles, 5 states.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Totally not creepy at all

SAWCE