Dat 4Runner Life Doe - Adventures in a T4R

Strut your greasy stuff!
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

My little man helping knock out some maintenance.

He wanted a ladder to see what was going on up top.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So far so good. They were easy to balance and didn’t require a ton of weight. Haven’t really gotten them in real snow yet. I was out of town for the snow on the foothills and the going up skiing in the snow it was plowed roads.

The best part so far is the steering wheel vibration Is gone under moderate to heavy brakes at speeds about 40-45 mph. I would have sworn it was rotors but the pads were on to good of a condition to replace the brakes so I was just going to wait it out but it’s 100% cured by ditching the K02s. Weight transfer in the canyons is altitude less settled than the K02s but these tires are a hair narrower and an inch taller, so that’s more or less expected. Dry pavement braking is much improved, it was to easy to activate ABS. Overall I much prefer them to the K02s, they were good except the constant balance and build quality problems.

I think Falken Wildpeak AT3W would still be my top choice if they came in the size I wanted.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Dbest wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:18 am So far so good. They were easy to balance and didn’t require a ton of weight. Haven’t really gotten them in real snow yet. I was out of town for the snow on the foothills and the going up skiing in the snow it was plowed roads.

The best part so far is the steering wheel vibration Is gone under moderate to heavy brakes at speeds about 40-45 mph. I would have sworn it was rotors but the pads were on to good of a condition to replace the brakes so I was just going to wait it out but it’s 100% cured by ditching the K02s. Weight transfer in the canyons is altitude less settled than the K02s but these tires are a hair narrower and an inch taller, so that’s more or less expected. Dry pavement braking is much improved, it was to easy to activate ABS. Overall I much prefer them to the K02s, they were good except the constant balance and build quality problems.

I think Falken Wildpeak AT3W would still be my top choice if they came in the size I wanted.
:notbad:
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Out with the old yellow 20” full size spare.

In with the current full size matching TRD Pro/Ridge Grappler spare. The tire is actually a 33.3” tire, that extra half inch over a typical 285 is makes it a really snug fit. It fits but the side by the diff doesnt quite sit as flush as the stock full sized spare did. Overall though I’m happy.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

This past weekend we got up skiing for the first time for the season. It my 2 year old's first powder day lol

Mom came too

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

On Wednesday I went up solo so I could rip around all day long. It was phenomenal! Zero lift lines, I skied right onto every chair, parking lot was empty, the snow was in great condition for any point of the season but snow like that in November just doesn't happen! I can not overstate how awesome of a day it was. that day was the motivation I needed to start getting my ass back in shape. My legs and lungs were burnin'.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So I know I said it before but this is the first time I've bought a used vehicle. It already had some minor bumper damage, and lots of little scraps and chips. It was nice not having a brand new vehicle to try to keep meticulous. I used to wash, clay, polish, and like 4-5 stage wax my cars regularly and I've never bothered to do that with this thing. It looks great from 10 feet away but it gets used properly and its absolutely covered in flaws to show for it. So last week after coming home from skiing it was in the 60's so I decided I'd give it a wash with soap rather then just power washing off the crap. The next day my wife was leaving to go on a week long business trip so I figured I'll just throw it in the garage, let it fully dry, and give it a coat before winter and drive my wife's car in the mean time. I have a hard time halfassing things so it kind of snow balled into a week in the garage with a few days worth of on and off cleaning. I washed it and clay barred it top to bottom. Its flawed enough that t wasn't worth the effort to try to get swirls and flaws out but I want to protect against rust and thing like that. The easy answer is NuFinish once a year polish. Its not actually a polish or a wax and it has no cleaning properties, its just a simple, proven, inexpensive, easy to apply, easy to remove, and easy to find anywhere paint sealer that holds up well. It more or less poor man's ceramic coating for lazy. I went over the exterior, light assemblies, and door/hatch jambs and then a second coat 3 days later on the whole exterior again. I started cleaning the inside but ended up pulling the seats out to really get in there for a deep clean and detail. Cleaned the carpet, headliner, cleaned and conditioned all the leather with 2 coats of heavy application to the front seats, used some stuff to restore and condition all the plastics, and finished it up with cleaning all the glass. The weather tech mats are notoriously hard to clean, I can hit them with a power washer and screw them with sap and a brush and this still dry stained brown and shitty looking, so I tried some plastic interior spray on them and they came out looking like new.

It ended up being a lot of work but I'm glad I did it. The truck hasn't been this clean since it was new.

That's cracked windshield number 4 or 5

Now to get it dirty going up the mountains to hit the ski slopes again Thursday :)
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

In other news, I was issued a full refund for my Prinsu rack today. It should take a couple dats to clear but still, I’m excited.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So much for being clean

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Adventures from this past week.

Sunday - Little man ready to shred.

Monday - No liftlines

Tuesday - Hiking the Betasso Link Trail in Boulder, one of my favorite mountain bike trails.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Wednesday I decided to head up to Copper to ski... the official snow total was 2 inches lol

The roads were a shit show and I've been waiting for these types of conditions to try out the Ridge Grapplers, they actually fared really well.
I've said it a million times buts always Subarus that seem to be the first thing to wreck when it snows in Colorado.
Click pic for vid.

Volvo not doing real well either.
Click pic for vid.

Again, 2" was their official number....

Apex

:jelly:

Little man looks like he’s having a blast!
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Thursday - Breckenridge Part 1.

To the surprise of nobody, Breckenridge had the first and only lift lines I’ve come across anywhere this season so far and clogged up unloading ramps on every lift. Breck still sucks, but Thursday was one of, if not the single best day I’ve ever had on skis. The groomers were groomed, the bowls were soft and steep, the trees were nice and deep. It was soooo good! The official Thursday morning was 12" most of which had fallen Wednesday throughout the day (snow totals are announced at 5am every day when the snow stake is cleared.

Hurry up and wait, that's the Breckenridge way.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Thursday Breckenridge Part 2.

It's windy at 12,000'+
Click pic for vid

I'm rarely in ictures because im always the one taking them but my buddy got 2 pics of me before his phone battery froze up and powered off.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Apex wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:50 pm :jelly:

Little man looks like he’s having a blast!
He really enjoys it but all he wants to do is french fries and go fast. We might need to give him a break from the mountain for a bit until he gets a little more willing to do pizza and control his speed a bit.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Driving home Thursday night as it got dark I thought I had a problem with my headlights. I couldn't see shit, the headlights of the cars behind me were leaving shadows of my vehicle on the road in front of me. Turns out it was just severely crusted over headlights. Since it was in the 60's Friday my son and I had a car wash day. I swear I hit this thing with the power washer once a week.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Christmas Eve we had a half day at Winter Park. I got to park ski in ski out slope side on Mary Jane. My wife and I got the 6th chair up the mountain and fresh snow all morning. We also had perfect timing with getting the 2nd chair up when Panoramic opened, it was right as the clouds briefly split and the sun poked out for some absolutely incredible views! We covered 17,000 feet of vertical and 20 miles on skis and still got out of there before noon.

North side of Berthoud Pass had some flurries.

Coming down the other side of the pass the snow was coming down pretty good.

Selfie while we wait for the drop the ropes and start letting people on the lifts.

The only 2 people who got up Panaramic before us, the sun us starting to break.

Speachless...

Making our way up the bowl.

Above treeline

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Apex

:amazing:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Great pics, that looks like great quality of life! It's a balmy low to mid 40s up here in Toronto soo I don't think about it that much but those runs give me the urge to go skiing.

How is the truck holding up so far?
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

The 4Runner has been amazing. Just rolled 110,000 miles and we haven’t had a single problem. No leaks, no break downs, nothing has broke or worn out besides wear items (brakes, tires, shocks, battery). I love this thing!
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Dbest wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:18 pm The 4Runner has been amazing. Just rolled 110,000 miles and we haven’t had a single problem. No leaks, no break downs, nothing has broke or worn out besides wear items (brakes, tires, shocks, battery). I love this thing!
Obviously Toyota reliability is all hype and is completely overrated
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Dbest wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:18 pm The 4Runner has been amazing. Just rolled 110,000 miles and we haven’t had a single problem. No leaks, no break downs, nothing has broke or worn out besides wear items (brakes, tires, shocks, battery). I love this thing!
Well 200k is essentially broken in for those cars.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Getting out with the wife

The fog rolled in quick and heavy.

Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Wednesday of last week I decided to make the drive to Steamboat to hit the slopes for the day. It was F'n COLD! At 65 mph the heat seemed to struggle a bit to keep up, or it was just cold air radiating from the windows, either way it was legit cold. My windshield crack got a quite a bit bigger during the drive lol.

Totally worth it in the end, the groomers were a bit skied out but if you skied down Double Black EX wall with trees it dropped you into a bowl filled with untouched shin deep powder.

Check out that dash temp!!!!