Dat 4Runner Life Doe - Adventures in a T4R

Strut your greasy stuff!
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

An adjuster is pricing out the damage to the 4runner now, we’ll see what they come up with. They are thinking PDR for a repair. I was hoping for body work and respray.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Dbest wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:25 am An adjuster is pricing out the damage to the 4runner now, we’ll see what they come up with. They are thinking PDR for a repair. I was hoping for body work and respray.
Why not just leave it as is and pocket the money ? You ride thing pretty hard as is
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

That’s the plan, I was hoping they would call for body work and respray to get me a bigger check.

Total damage came out to $5,431.74. They cut me a check on the spot for that for minus $150 deductible.
max225

Dbest wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:23 pm That’s the plan, I was hoping they would call for body work and respray to get me a bigger check.

Total damage came out to $5,431.74. They cut me a check on the spot for that for minus $150 deductible.
Free money :iono: dang you got a low deductible. :impressive:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Dbest wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:23 pm That’s the plan, I was hoping they would call for body work and respray to get me a bigger check.

Nice!

You going to get your roof inspected, too?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:25 pm

We have really good insurance. In order to get umbrella coverage you need to have max coverage on everything. Max property damage for collision coverage is $100,000. With the cost of new cars these days its very easy to exceed that number. Without umbrella your on the hook for anything over $100,000. Body injury maxes out at $300,000 as well. We maxed our coverage and got a $3,000,000 umbrella policy.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

wap wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Nice!

An inspector came out already for an initial inspection,t he claim adjuster is coming tomorrow morning to meet the inspector and go over everything.
wap

Dbest wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:34 pm
wap wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Nice!

An inspector came out already for an initial inspection,t he claim adjuster is coming tomorrow morning to meet the inspector and go over everything.
:nice:
We got a new $19k roof last year due to hail, which was great timing because we were going to have to replace our roof in the next couple of years anyway. Good luck with your claims adjuster.
max225

Dbest wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:25 pm

We have really good insurance. In order to get umbrella coverage you need to have max coverage on everything. Max property damage for collision coverage is $100,000. With the cost of new cars these days its very easy to exceed that number. Without umbrella your on the hook for anything over $100,000. Body injury maxes out at $300,000 as well. We maxed our coverage and got a $3,000,000 umbrella policy.
That’s “max” coverage ? Seems pretty standard to me. Same out here but can’t get a deductible that low without paying an extra $50 a month which makes it not worth it after 8 months of non at fault accidents. ($500 ded here)
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:47 pm
Dbest wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:33 pm

That’s “max” coverage ? Seems pretty standard to me. Same out here but can’t get a deductible that low without paying an extra $50 a month which makes it not worth it after 8 months of non at fault accidents. ($500 ded here)
This is a comprehensive claim, you’re never at fault for acts of nature. Collision has a higher deductible than $150.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Sunday was the last trail ride in the RZR and then yesterday we took it to get the mail one last time before it’s new own picked it up last night. The RZR is gone.

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

:butwhy:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Wait, what? Why is the RZR gone?
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

It took up a lot of space in the garage, we used it a decent amount but not as much as we’d really like to with how much I travel for work, and it does kind of suck having to trailer it every time you want to ride it somewhere, plus taking the cage on and off to store it in the garage on the trailer did get a little tedious.

When I bought it new I got an insanely good deal. I paid $14,200 for RZR and the trailer was $1,350. We’ve had them just shy of 2 years now. We decided to list the RZR and trailer together for a price that would be worth it for us to get rid of. We figured if we recoup basically all of the money after 2 years of use we’d sell it. If we couldn’t get asking price there’s no harm in keeping it. We ended up selling the RZR with trailer in 4 days for $16,000. That’s more than we paid to begin with (purchase prices, not including sales tax, title, etc.)

My wife wants to reinvest the money into a camper but after a bit of discussion and research we’re thinking we may just upgrade the 4Runner. Bigger beefier roof rack, a big roof top tent, dual battery setup with solar charging and with a small on board fridge. Less of an investment than a camper, less weight to drag through the mountains, we can still get to more remote places to camp, and we won’t be right back to storing one big ass thing in the garage. In the end the quicker and more convenient it is the more use it will get.
Last edited by Dbest on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apex

Dbest wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am It took up a lot of space in the garage, we used it a decent amount but not as much as we’d really like to with how much I travel for work, and it does kind of suck having to trailer it every time you want to ride it somewhere, plus taking the cage on and off to store it in the garage on the trailer did get a little tedious.

When I bought it new I got an insanely good deal. I paid $14,200 for RZR and the trailer was $1,350. We’ve had them just shy of 2 years now. We decided to list the RZR and trailer together for a price that would be worth it for us to get rid of. We figured if we recoup basically all of the money after 2 years of use we’d sell it. If we couldn’t get asking price there’s no harm in keeping it. We ended up selling the RZR with trailer in 4 days for about $16,000. That’s more than we paid to begin with (purchase prices, not including sales tax, title, etc.)

My wife wants to reinvest the money into a camper but after a bit of discussion and research we’re thinking we may just upgrade the 4Runner. Bigger beefier roof rack, a big roof top tent, dual battery setup with solar charging and with a small on board fridge. Less of an investment than a camper, less weight to drag through the mountains, we can still get to more remote places to camp, and we won’t be right back to storing one thing big in the garage.
I like this plan. In4reviews as this happens, and obviously more pics.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So a long time ago I started researching an “overlanding” setup for the 4Runner, that’s what the cool kids call camping nowadays, but we opted for RZR. I’ve always kind of considered it and kept up on the changing technologies and all that. Since listing the RZR I’ve been digging into it again, since selling it I’ve been spending a ton of time researching and coming up with a plan.

My wife and I are on the same page as of now so here’s the thought on how we will proceed. A light weight aluminum full coverage roof rack, most likely from Southern Style Off-road. A top of the line rooftop tent, an iKamper Skycamp - it’s a very very nice hard shell tent, nice features, build quality second to none, 5 year warranty, one of the only ones that all of the soft fabric is replaceable so if it gets damaged you can fix it vs replacing it, the floor is a nice 3” thick king size mattress, and it’s available in a rhino liner type of finish for extra durability on the shell. It’s fucking expensive and shipping is like $450... but they have a distribution center in IL that you can pick up at for free and we just so happen to be road tripping back to IL in October so that’s extremely likely to happen. We’ll do a pair of solar showers, those are pretty cheap. We’ll do an ARB 37 quart fridge or equivalent. For power needs and looking at what we would plan to use with leaving a buffer for extra capacity, I have a single deep cycle group 24 AGM battery that starts and powers the vehicle and runs a few accessories. There will be some LED worksite lights for on the roof rack, a fridge, and the ability tocharge camera batteries, and phones, things of that nature. The concern is that I want to make sure it will always start, even if it sits for a few days. So he plan is a 100-120 watt solar setup with an efficient MPPT regulator. I don’t want to permanently mount them to a single fixed position. Some times the panel will sit up on the roof rack, sometime on the ground aimed at the sun. That should perform very well, night time will average a couple amp load on the battery and then day time will fully support the load and trickle charge the battery. Worst case scenario I’ll upgrade to a group 31 deep cycle and a battery box for it but all things considered I want to keep the weight down as much as possible.
Apex

What's the load rating on the roof rack? That RTT is already 160lbs up there, plus 2 adults and a child..

Edit: 760lbs static load rating. :notbad:
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Apex wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:29 pm What's the load rating on the roof rack? That RTT is already 160lbs up there, plus 2 adults and a child..

Edit: 760lbs static load rating. :notbad:
The rating is always conservative as a cover your ass kinda thing, but even so there plenty of room in the claimed capacity.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

The plot thickens....

I contacted iKamper about lead times and arranging pick up inChicago in October. They said that can be arranged without a problem and they also forwarded my message to an authorized retailer in Colorado that’s like 35 minutes from me. I’m going tomorrow to check one out in person which I’m really happy about given the cost.
Last edited by Dbest on Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap

Dbest wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:11 pm The plot thickens....

I contacted iKamper about lead times and arranging pick up inChicago in October. They said that can be arranged without a problem and they also forwarded my message to an authorized retailer in Colorado that’s like 35 minutes from me. I’m going tomorrow to check one out in person which I’m really happen about given the cost.
:popcorn:
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

So I’m a picky SOB, that’s no secret. It’s literally my job to scrutinize, nitpick details, and find flaws in things and analyze them. When it comes buying stuff almost always somewhat disappointed because things rarely live up to my expectations. I really wanted to check out the iKamper in person prior to spending a significant amount of money on it. I went out to that shop toady, a little one man show of a business, awesome guy and checked it out. I can say in all honesty it exceeded my expectations. The build quality fantastic, the thought that went into the design is awesome, the attention to detail was above what I was expecting, and it’s even roomier than I anticipating. Simple things like the entire fabric portion is replaceable so if something happens you can replace the fabric instead of the entire tent. The little lip spoiler at the front edge so wind doesn’t catch and try to create a gap for dust to get in while driving, the shape of the hinges area when opened to basically fit a pillow and provide a few more inches of extra room, the sky light, the high thread count 2 layer fabric that has a small air gap that works like insulation. Lots of cool little stuff that doesn’t translate into pictures you see in reviews and stuff like that (or the reviewers just overlooked). I’ve checked out the common Cascadia, Tepui, ARB, in the past and the build quality doesn’t compare. Most of the soft shell tents come out of the same factory in China rebadged for whatever company. I even looked at a very high end Roost hard shell, that one was great but hugely expensive and only sleeps 2. The iKamper one is the first 4 person hardshell roof top tent and they nailed it. iKamper actually started on Kickstarter and got a massive response from people wanting bigger and better. After seeing it in person, messing with it, scrutinizing it, taking it apart, putting it together I was sold on it.

I put 50% down on the “Rocky Black” version of the tent (it just means at the factory the shell is sprayed with bed liner for extra durability, UV protection, and protection from rock hits (or HAIL), tree branches off road, etc.

As soon as I figure out the roof rack I’ll go back, pay the balance, and pick it up.

This is where I’m at with the roof racks.

https://www.southernstyleoffroad.com/pr ... roof-rack/ or http://www.prinsudesignstudio.com/produ ... ofrac-full

I like both of them, they are aluminum, light weight, high strength, and low profile.

I like that the SSO one has 3x1” crossbars (which is overkill) and the sides of the outer rails have holes cutout for flush mounted work site lights for camping. It uses factory mourning holes so the it’s solid but the front just has feet that set down on top of the roof edge making its less secure but also not permanent.

The Prisnu is $100 less, the outer rails don’t have light cutouts, their crossbars are 2x1” (which is plenty capable of supporting all the weight I’d need), and front requires drilling into the roof channel which makes it more stable and secure but more permanent as well.

SSO said 8 weeks until they would be ready to ship when I talked to them yesterday. Prisnu said 2-4 weeks until delivery as of today. I go back on the road after Labor Day weekend, so I either get it before then or the timeline is pretty much irrelevant. I told Prisnu today that if they could guarantee delivery before Labor Day weekend I will do it and they are going to get back to me about it.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

The tent really does sound legit, but goddamn, $3k for a tent is a lot.

Definitely in for more detailed reviews after you get it and use it.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

We have $150 comprehensive, $500 collision, $2000 home owners.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Prisnu got back to me saying they can meet my deadline of August 30th/31st so I pt in the order on their rack today.
Apex

Dbest wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:53 pm Prisnu got back to me saying they can meet my deadline of August 30th/31st so I pt in the order on their rack today.
:popcorn: This is going to be fun to follow.