Gravey garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Big Brain Bradley wrote:like none of you have ever driven on meh tires....
:bruh:

I had to stop you from putting corded tires back on your GTI.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

lagunasecaballs wrote:Look, Gravey. I know you judged them to "be okay", but you're endangering yourself, your passenger, other drivers, and risking damage to other vehicles on the track. It is 100% your responsibility to maintain your vehicle and make sure that it is track safe and ready, so if you managed to miss the fact that your tires are suffering from some dry rot, you probably missed numerous other things as well. And no, tech inspections will not catch everything as they should.

For your sake and other's sake, please be more careful. You admittedly drive like an ass on the street in your 135, had an incident in the past that resulted in the loss of your GTI, and now this truck thing. Dial it back a few notches and work on being a predictable driver, both on and off the track. If you're running track sessions with dry rotted tires, you are not a predictable driver, no matter what you may believe. If you don't have the money for new tires, just take a weekend or two off of the track so you can afford new ones.
:dat:

Missing a track day or two and look, money for fresh tires.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

lagunasecaballs wrote:
Big Brain Bradley wrote:like none of you have ever driven on meh tires....
gravey wrote:
This'th plus 50% of idiots on public roads drive on dry rotted and treadless tires, or semis on retreads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not in a high-performance high-stress environment.
Fair enough.

I run track days on tires that were far from their prime, not optimal for application, etc.... but dry rotted they were not.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I've run old shit with no grip both unintentionally and NFG. The only time it was bad was the first corner or two when it was unintentional.

Dry rot is different :doe:
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Whichever bmw isn't broken

lagunasecaballs wrote:Look, Gravey. I know you judged them to "be okay", but you're endangering yourself, your passenger, other drivers, and risking damage to other vehicles on the track. It is 100% your responsibility to maintain your vehicle and make sure that it is track safe and ready, so if you managed to miss the fact that your tires are suffering from some dry rot, you probably missed numerous other things as well. And no, tech inspections will not catch everything as they should.

For your sake and other's sake, please be more careful. You admittedly drive like an ass on the street in your 135, had an incident in the past that resulted in the loss of your GTI, and now this truck thing. Dial it back a few notches and work on being a predictable driver, both on and off the track. If you're running track sessions with dry rotted tires, you are not a predictable driver, no matter what you may believe. If you don't have the money for new tires, just take a weekend or two off of the track so you can afford new ones.
Truck incident was the first time I've been in a 2 car accident since a dui lady hit me at a red light when I was 16. I drive like an asshole when theres no traffic at 2am. I wasn't chasing record laptimes, I never pushed braking zones, and stopped loading up the front tires when I realized they were wearing funny. Was only driving 8/10s and 5/8 run sessions. I knew everything that was wrong with the car and kept those things in mind. Appreciate your concern for me and others. :wub: mostly fair points.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote:I've run old shit with no grip both unintentionally and NFG. The only time it was bad was the first corner or two when it was unintentional.

Dry rot is different :doe:

My Pilot Sports are old and worn, but within 5 years, and NO dryrot (that's just straight :derp: dangerous).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Photo of tars for reference, not like they have cracking sidewalls or anything, just a bit dry/old and camber wearing strangely(needs moar camber) Image

gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Also those are 560 tread wear, didn't even know they made tars that shitty

gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Finally got my 1er running again, all new plugs and coils took care of it. Forgot how fast it is with ethanol and cold weather. Will pull the slicks off of it tonight and get it back on the road so I can start working on the e28 some more. Still need to have the fender/bumper fixed but I'll get around to that. Any DFDers going to the Rolex? I'll be there.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

gravey wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:45 am Finally got my 1er running again, all new plugs and coils took care of it. Forgot how fast it is with ethanol and cold weather. Will pull the slicks off of it tonight and get it back on the road so I can start working on the e28 some more. Still need to have the fender/bumper fixed but I'll get around to that. Any DFDers going to the Rolex? I'll be there.
no. because :jalepenis:
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Well, big things happening for the e28, I hit a manhole cover and popped my oil pan last week. Decided to swap the newer B35 M30 engine into it, +25hp and 15ftlbs, as well as throw my 284° cam in it. Changing out my open diff with a 3.25 final drive for a 3.73 lsd, so between the power/gearing change, and the lsd the car should be a totally different animal. Very excited to get everything running, hoping to drop the engine in sunday. Also city is hopefully paying some of the costs, so if they throw me a check I'll buy headers and have the car 100% for the drive up to NC for the vintage in May.

Pics of damage:

Apex
Drives: Abominable

gravey wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 pm Well, big things happening for the e28, I hit a manhole cover and popped my oil pan last week. Decided to swap the newer B35 M30 engine into it, +25hp and 15ftlbs, as well as throw my 284° cam in it. Changing out my open diff with a 3.25 final drive for a 3.73 lsd, so between the power/gearing change, and the lsd the car should be a totally different animal. Very excited to get everything running, hoping to drop the engine in sunday. Also city is hopefully paying some of the costs, so if they throw me a check I'll buy headers and have the car 100% for the drive up to NC for the vintage in May.

Pics of damage:

E28 should be all sorts of :fuckyeah: with the M30B35 and 3.73 LSD!
ChrisoftheNorth

Holy hell. How low is the car and/or how far was the manhole cover sticking up. Dang.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SixSpeeder
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiat

Should have bought a truck.

:trollface:
dyslexic wrote:DO YOU FEEL FEAR
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Detroit wrote:Holy hell. How low is the car and/or how far was the manhole cover sticking up. Dang.
Car was fairly low, but still roughly 7-8 inches of ground clearance. I straddled the bump because I couldn't see it until it was too late. Driving 30 mph in heavy traffic.

gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

SixSpeeder wrote:Should have bought a truck.

Driving my dads truck around during the swap, hate this shit. :rage:

troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SixSpeeder wrote:Should have bought a truck.

ChrisoftheNorth

gravey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:27 pm
Detroit wrote:Holy hell. How low is the car and/or how far was the manhole cover sticking up. Dang.
Car was fairly low, but still roughly 7-8 inches of ground clearance. I straddled the bump because I couldn't see it until it was too late. Driving 30 mph in heavy traffic.

:rage:

That stuff scares me.
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Detroit wrote:
gravey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:27 pm Car was fairly low, but still roughly 7-8 inches of ground clearance. I straddled the bump because I couldn't see it until it was too late. Driving 30 mph in heavy traffic.

:rage:

That stuff scares me.
Its cool, should be getting a nice check from the construction company who put it there, and I'll build an industrial skid plate soon

ChrisoftheNorth

gravey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:50 pm
Detroit wrote: :rage:

That stuff scares me.
Its cool, should be getting a nice check from the construction company who put it there, and I'll build an industrial skid plate soon

I guess as long as they pay you something.

Industrial skid plates are heavy. Seems better to give it moar high, but I'm a grumpy old man.
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

Detroit wrote:
gravey wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:50 pm Its cool, should be getting a nice check from the construction company who put it there, and I'll build an industrial skid plate soon

I guess as long as they pay you something.

Industrial skid plates are heavy. Seems better to give it moar high, but I'm a grumpy old man.
Yea, I'll do a bit of both, but trust me, I'll make the guard as light as I can.

gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

So I haven't updated this in a while.

I wound up rebuilding a newer B35 M30 that I put in my 535is, ran a 284° cam and headers on it. Car was really strong, just not strong enough to handle my friend tracking it about 2qts low on oil. Spun a rod bearing and pulled the engine with dreams of building the strongest M30 I could possibly dream of. Bought some 11:1 pistons but before I could piece together the rest of the parts, a friend decided to sell his e34 M5, a car I’ve considered my dream car for at least the past 3-4 years. It was an opportunity I couldn’t resist, sold my e28 535is without an engine to a buddy for scrap value, bought the M5 and have been enjoying and wrenching on it ever since.

Since buying the M5 I’ve replaced every bushing in the car, and fixed one or two other minor problems, but thats about it. The car came with adjustable sway bars and Koni yellows so its pretty agile already, drifted the half shot set of super sports the PO had on the car off, put some wider 255 square potenzas on it and I’m actually going to track it for the first time this weekend.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:hai:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:megusta:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.