Fat Boys Flying

Strut your greasy stuff!
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

dubshow wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:50 am
Melon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:44 am

That's what I was thinking when it sounded like my transmission was grenading.
welp, considering the original bolts where all missing or sheared, The new ones need better chemical fastening.

I honestly think thats all that was wrong after I pulled the trans down. But the new clutch was a good thing.
Truthfully :dat:

I'll still give ya shit doe. ;)
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Melon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:45 am I'm also over gimmicky events, the night event coming up, the enduro cross, and this one will be 3 runs one way, and then three runs backwards.
I just want six chances to do a course well, is that too much to ask?
Yes. At nats you only get three runs. At big local evens like houston, atlanta, chicago, etc... You MIGHT get 4 on a good day. we are spoiled for seat time here.

Also, the three forward and then backwards thing (april-lirpa) is a long standing local tradition, and it's a good way to see two different courses in the same day.

:fax:
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 am
Melon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:45 am I'm also over gimmicky events, the night event coming up, the enduro cross, and this one will be 3 runs one way, and then three runs backwards.
I just want six chances to do a course well, is that too much to ask?
Yes. At nats you only get three runs. At big local evens like houston, atlanta, chicago, etc... You MIGHT get 4 on a good day. we are spoiled for seat time here.

Also, the three forward and then backwards thing (april-lirpa) is a long standing local tradition, and it's a good way to see two different courses in the same day.

Enjoy your race then.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:55 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 am

Enjoy your race then.
I will good sir!
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Admittedly, I'll take a backwards-forwards over a night event.

I may make it out there, would be nice to do some driving after all that wrenching.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:59 am Admittedly, I'll take a backwards-forwards over a night event.

I may make it out there, would be nice to do some driving after all that wrenching.
night events are also awesome for those that don't have to set up....
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:02 am
Melon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:59 am Admittedly, I'll take a backwards-forwards over a night event.

I just don't see as well at night, and Bruce is making a no-headlight rule.
Hopefully the course will be properly lit, but in the past it hasn't been.

Also, I've been a long standing believer in volunteer work.
It's also my way of forcing myself to do something that's good for me.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Melon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:05 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:02 am

I'm only going to the night event to keep up my class points and to make the top in Pax and try to chase Will down.
I get the gimmicky events mentality. I liked the endurocross, but not being able to know which cones I hit sucks because I didn't get to take it easy on the next lap and just work on staying clean. Night events I do not like due to the lighting. Last one I went to was too difficult to work. Couldn't see when cones were down, couldn't read numbers because SOME PEOPLE (*cough* Ming) put blue tape on dark blue cars... In the dark....

I was tempted to make the Delta event. I'm making all Cenla but nit picking Delta events. Will and I are likely both going to Sowela in a couple of weeks if you're interested.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:14 pm
Melon wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:05 am

I'm only going to the night event to keep up my class points and to make the top in Pax and try to chase Will down.
I get the gimmicky events mentality. I liked the endurocross, but not being able to know which cones I hit sucks because I didn't get to take it easy on the next lap and just work on staying clean. Night events I do not like due to the lighting. Last one I went to was too difficult to work. Couldn't see when cones were down, couldn't read numbers because SOME PEOPLE (*cough* Ming) put blue tape on dark blue cars... In the dark....

I was tempted to make the Delta event. I'm making all Cenla but nit picking Delta events. Will and I are likely both going to Sowela in a couple of weeks if you're interested.
I'm on the fence with the one this weekend as it is. If I go to that one, only other one I'll make will be the night event.
I got E30 work to do.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Well we've got some work to do. this weekend was...difficult. We didnt help by both being hungover as f00k
Cliffs are that any one of these things could have been dealt with but the combination made for a bad day.

Battery dead so needed a jump or push if died.
carb hated the cold weather and was generally bitchy, wouldn't idle worth a daym
There is weird stuff going on with the clutch hydraulics we need to find & fix.
The shifting setup is straight up garbage. Spend most of the day hunting for gears. Apparently a cable solution exists and we will try to find it.
Carb needs to be cleaned and tuned, part throttle response is not good. Related to idle.

On the one good run i was starting to put together where i got to third gear in reasonable time without hitting anything or going horribly offline I hit the fuel pump switch and ran it out of gas, because its in a terrible spot. It then died at the start (again) waiting for my third run....i was over it.

Cable shifter for car
Better switches. Dash?
Main Power on indication light
Battery from Walmart
Carb tuning.
Clutch pedal, bleed clutch?

Camber for suspension
Grease up everything
Throttle length?

Speed wise the car has potential to be an FTD machine. We were running 40's where the fast guys were running 34's and we were not even trying with hunting gears and a barely running car.
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Did y'all end up using the carb that was on it when purchased or the newer, larger one?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

stripethree wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:37 am Did y'all end up using the carb that was on it when purchased or the newer, larger one?
its still the one that came on the car that still needs a 100% teardown and jet cleaning.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

stripethree wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:37 am Did y'all end up using the carb that was on it when purchased or the newer, larger one?
the original DRLA 36. I had it idling 3ish weeks ago. It wasn't happy. The biggest bummer was dead battery and shit gear selection. Gear selection rod is never a great thing, but its wildly inaccurate and sloppy.

Im doing some homework and going to look at the jetting to check we are in line with what it should be.

IDLE jet should be somewhere at 45-50

and the main should be around 145-150.

IIRC, the idle is at 55 now and the main is around 115? I need to pull the venturis and look at sizing at well.

I know the china weber 40 is wildly phat on idle. It was pumping serious fuel out the exhaust but it idles.
Acid666

I thought something was up when I was checking the live timing for the event.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I turned some wrenches this weekend, did a full teardown, clean, and reassemble of the carb with new o-rings and stuff. I found some water and ethanol :jelly: so hopefully that resolves some of the issues. New battery is on the floor waiting for install
brain go brrrrrr
Acid666

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:49 pm I turned some wrenches this weekend, did a full teardown, clean, and reassemble of the carb with new o-rings and stuff. I found some water and ethanol :jelly: so hopefully that resolves some of the issues. New battery is on the floor waiting for install
Ask the people at Autozone to install that battery for you for FREE!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:17 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 pm

Ask the people at Autozone to install that battery for you for FREE!
:lolol:

They'd be standing around it like a bunch of

:derp: :derp: :derp:
:derp: :fullretard: :derp:
Where is it located in the :meata: ?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Acid666

I only bring it up because I bought a relay the other day at the Zone and the girl asked if I needed help installing it. I LOL'd. And then remembered they "install" batteries too when I read this. Good times.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:25 pm
[user not found] wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:17 pm

:lolol:

They'd be standing around it like a bunch of

:derp: :fullretard: :derp:
Where is it located in the :meata: ?
The very front of the engine bay. Kinda odd, many people relocate it to the trunk.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:26 pm I only bring it up because I bought a relay the other day at the Zone and the girl asked if I needed help installing it. I LOL'd. And then remembered they "install" batteries too when I read this. Good times.
Dang, she might know her way around cars.

The vatozone near my house has employees that can only install bud in the pipe.

So much 'wut' going on in that place.
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I would love to drive something like this. I bet its an absolute blast. Even if it was just to hoon around a parking lot.
Acid666

So what's the overall consensus with today?
That course was tight as hell today. Surprised I managed to get rid of the understeer from my earlier runs by smoothing my lines out, even as I got more white knuckling with my runs.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:44 pm So what's the overall consensus with today?
That course was tight as hell today. Surprised I managed to get rid of the understeer from my earlier runs by smoothing my lines out, even as I got more white knuckling with my runs.
The car did tons better but still has bugs to work out.

Yea that course was stupid tight, I'd have hated to be in a corvette today. I found it fun in the vee, but there were a few spots that opening things up would have made it less 'painful'
brain go brrrrrr
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:48 am
Acid666 wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:44 pm So what's the overall consensus with today?
The car did tons better but still has bugs to work out.

Yea that course was stupid tight, I'd have hated to be in a corvette today. I found it fun in the vee, but there were a few spots that opening things up would have made it less 'painful'
Bruce likes the tight courses. We actually got into an argument in the group chat about designing 'flowing' courses. W/E
Last time we did a run in that area it was a lot of fun, with the 180 turn adding a good bit of challenge.

Y'all put down some good times for the first time out with the car in good order.
:impressive:

I'll be there one month to show y'all how it's done doe.
:stig:
Acid666

Melon wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 7:53 am I'll be there one month to show y'all how it's done doe.
:stig:
Hah. I'm hoping to have my 315s on by then. I need it. And will need it if any C7s come along in CAM-S. Re-read the 2018 rules the other day and it looks like the C7s are no longer listed as cars not allowed in Cam. So if a C7 comes along I'll need every bit of grip I can get to claw my way past em.

I white knuckled my last run and it was unbelievably balls to the wall.

The Vee looked good out there. With that smaller profile and wheel base, and all the planets lining up, I can totally see that thing shredding that course. There was an optional with 2 gates. The first was apparently the minimum of 15' wide. 2nd was more forgiving. I took the first because it set you up to take the *janky* Chicago box with 2 cones to the driver's side, the 180 to the driver's side, and the last gate on the driver's side.... On top of allowing a little more distance to get some speed coming out of the 2nd gate. I tried the 2nd optional once and man, I just couldn't set up that tight ass gate to come out smooth. So I stuck with the first optional.

When I have optionals I try to put more cones on my driver's side so I can see them better and not guess them, unless the exit sets me up faster.