Melon's E30 Thread.

Strut your greasy stuff!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:25 am
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:19 am :melon: buys E30.

Motor swaps mentioned.

:poorvette: stored off-site.

:math:

:poorvette: heart goes into E30.

God's chariot has God's motor.
:lol:

I love the sound of the M20 with headers and a good exhaust. It's very :megusta:
Supersprint headers to a B&B Triflo exhaust was what my E30 had. Epic sounds. :megusta:
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Melon wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:49 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:38 pm The problem is, it's only fun on a track or curvy roads. Which where you and I live is accessible like 3% of the time.
:wrong:

The chassis is good enough to where you can drift all the things easily.

Also, am I the only one on the forum who enjoys a good cruise?
Sure driving 10/10ths is good fun, but so is the window down on a beautiful day, listening to the engine purring along.
I bought a slow miata. I too enjoy a cruise.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Melon wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:06 pm I think I'm one of the few people on here who genuinely puts being happy as #1 priority.
Always been a big motivator for me.

If I'm not happy, something has to change.
Like soap refills? :hue:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:18 am
Melon wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:04 pm :iono:

I just don't get this forum sometimes.
I guess I should be racing 100% of the time, or just shoot myself.
I'm with you on that one. I drive 99% of the time like :wap: and I live on the boulevard that invented cruising.

But for me, just knowing that my car can blow the doors off something off a light, or that exhilarating WOT blast from 0-50 after making a turn around is part of what makes cruising fun.

Woodward Bruising and whatnot.
You have no idea how I drive.

:trollface:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:27 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Like soap refills? :hue:
:triggered:

But more seriously, jobs.

I don't stick around long at a job that makes me miserable, especially if the money isn't there.
:word:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:18 am

I'm with you on that one. I drive 99% of the time like :wap: and I live on the boulevard that invented cruising.

But for me, just knowing that my car can blow the doors off something off a light, or that exhilarating WOT blast from 0-50 after making a turn around is part of what makes cruising fun.

Woodward Bruising and whatnot.

:yeahok: Wanna :stig: Quart mile at a time, breh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Detroit wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:33 pm
wap wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:21 pm

:yeahok: Wanna :stig: Quart mile at a time, breh.
Hey, you don't want to fuck with me. I drive a stock :turboyaris:
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Well, I feel we have established one DFD axiom in here.

It's ok to cruise.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Re: cruising, I have found the 124 Spyder to be more enjoyable so far than the Cayman S or the :poorvette: ... Now... at the track, :nope: , :poorvette: all day long. On the TOTD or other back roads? Edge still goes to the :poorvette: . The 124 is just good fun any time, whether putzing around town, hitting a canyon road, anything really. I'm sure the E30 is quick enough to be fun and great for that stuff.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:15 pm Re: cruising, I have found the 124 Spyder to be more enjoyable so far than the Cayman S or the :poorvette: ... Now... at the track, :nope: , :poorvette: all day long. On the TOTD or other back roads? Edge still goes to the :poorvette: . The 124 is just good fun any time, whether putzing around town, hitting a canyon road, anything really. I'm sure the E30 is quick enough to be fun and great for that stuff.
Too bad no z drive yet... and hopefully a PP z not a ragged one with various tires and 100k+ miles
wap

D Griff wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:15 pm Re: cruising, I have found the 124 Spyder to be more enjoyable so far than the Cayman S or the :poorvette: ... Now... at the track, :nope: , :poorvette: all day long. On the TOTD or other back roads? Edge still goes to the :poorvette: . The 124 is just good fun any time, whether putzing around town, hitting a canyon road, anything really. I'm sure the E30 is quick enough to be fun and great for that stuff.
Good to hear.

In4fullreview
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:23 pm
Too bad no z drive yet... and hopefully a PP z not a ragged one with various tires and 100k+ miles
I'll get in one at some point soon... probably too :scrooge: to get a new car :doe: .
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Put suspension on the Miata/Fiat.
C5 will always be a track monster, but the lightweight roadster will dominate on the tight stuff.

Also, you need to make a thread with your review, interested to hear your extended thoughts on the 124.

The E30 has torque, it's still a momentum car, but the butt dyno makes it feel faster than my NC was, even though on paper, they're about even. 0-60 in the 7s range.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I can understand how the less horsepower car is funner to casually drive in. My GTI was great because I could rip that thing around town and not have to worry about 400 ft/lbs creeping up on me putting me in a ditch when all I wanted to do was mash it going thru an S in the road.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Melon wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 am
Put suspension on the Miata/Fiat.
C5 will always be a track monster, but the lightweight roadster will dominate on the tight stuff.

Also, you need to make a thread with your review, interested to hear your extended thoughts on the 124.

The E30 has torque, it's still a momentum car, but the butt dyno makes it feel faster than my NC was, even though on paper, they're about even. 0-60 in the 7s range.
:dat:

supermoto vs. litre bike. My overall laptimes at Grattan were similar on a 650cc supermoto vs. the KTM. You just get crushed down the straight away and claw your way back in the tight bits.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Acid666 wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:44 am I can understand how the less horsepower car is funner to casually drive in. My GTI was great because I could rip that thing around town and not have to worry about 400 ft/lbs creeping up on me putting me in a ditch when all I wanted to do was mash it going thru an S in the road.
On a road like the dragon, the lighter cars can do amazing things in the corners that the big boys can't
Like put your stomach into the door panel.
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Whichever bmw isn't broken

Melon wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:38 pm Oh dang, that non-metallic looks :jimp:
Non metalic looks so much better on old BMWs IMO, just very clean looking. Love the work you’re putting in Melon, excited to see where it goes. And if this is an M20 car, then its perfect, M20s are bullet proof as long as you’ve got an is head with the dual valve springs. Toss a 276 regrind cam in it and it’ll be perfect. So much love for old bmws
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Been lacking updates.

Got the paint removed from the roof, and got the roof painted with primer.

Both fenders, and the front valence need replacing due to rust and damage, so since it's all apart, I painted the front of the core support.

I painted the area under the fender, but the rubberized coating reacted with the coating on the car, and after a week, it was gooey. I had to remove the material, and start over with an epoxy primer.

Painted the rocker panels with epoxy primer. Will make for a good solid base for an area prone to rock chips, and I'll be able to put whatever rubberized coating I want over it. No reaction with the existing material on the car.

Did a lot of cleaning and organizing. On to the doors next.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wap

:mindblown: :impressive: , :melon:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Melon wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:30 pm Been lacking updates.

been busy working, its ok
brain go brrrrrr
Apex

:fuckyeah: :melon:

Excellent updates! You have been busy sir.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Got some underbody coating on the car. Safety Third!

Got the paint stripped off the doors, trunk lid, and sunroof panel. Filled in the dings and dents with bodyfiller abd got those primered. Made a nifty door stand.

New fenders came in, shot some epoxy primer on the back of those and some tough undercoating to prevent rust and damage.

Front valance came in, shot the back of it with some undercoating, and got it installed on the car yesterday, and finished up this morning.

Put the wheels back on and lowered it back on the ground. Beginning to look like a car again.

[user not found] hooked me up with a brand new door jamb VIN sticker from BMW.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Back at it.

Sanded the hood down and filled in some dents with body filler. Finished filling in a few spots on the roof. Sanded down and painted the underside of the trunk lid. Sanded baxk of passenger side door, and the inside area on the car. Rain looked like it was rolling in so, I went ahead and mowed the lawn, and called it a day.

It was fucking hot today.

Getting close to shooting final primer layer over the whole car, then comes color. Much excite!ImageImageImage

dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

ohhh nice. Getting there dude.
wap

:popcorn: