9000 Placs Per Minute

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

[user not found] wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:23 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:55 pm Still wishing I'd went with 17s for street tires and sold or threw the stock wheels in the attic, oh well... The car definitely rides worse on the heavy 18s. Otherwise I've put about 10k miles on the car now, still getting 16-20 mpg most tanks. No real interest in :plac: at this point but some MODZZZ would be nice. I really want to get some great shocks (thinking Fox/Penske/Ohlins) and a Bluetooth-enabled stereo sometime. Maybe next year.

Anything better than this thing is simply way too expensive.
:dat:

The RX-H8 drives great. It's just a big NC Miata.
NC really needs the suspension upgrades like you've got, RX8 is already pretty damn good stock so it's harder to justify going for the :waxer: stuff. $2k in coilovers is night and day on an NC vs simply enhancing the stock character in my car. :notsure: what I'll do, if anything. I'm still waiting to see what the SCCA does with classing for both the RX8 and ND2.
troyguitar

Conti sports are around a second off of the RE71R/Rival-S in the dry from what I've seen, depending on the car and course/surface. I'd prefer to run them if I didn't care about being nationally competitive.
troyguitar

Shit weather for autox nationals so far... I'm wishing that I either bought rain tires or just stayed home. I'm 6 seconds off now after hydroplaning for half of the course on worn RE71Rs. :fullretard:Image
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:33 am Shit weather for autox nationals so far... I'm wishing that I either bought rain tires or just stayed home. I'm 6 seconds off now after hydroplaning for half of the course on worn RE71Rs. :fullretard:Image
Should have brought an airboat
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:33 am Shit weather for autox nationals so far... I'm wishing that I either bought rain tires or just stayed home. I'm 6 seconds off now after hydroplaning for half of the course on worn RE71Rs. :fullretard:Image
Should have brought an airboat
:dat:

I think my all seasons really would have been faster, but I didn't have time to go get them to swap between runs.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Dude, after riding on my worn RE-71Rs on the vette I realized how bad the wet weather traction is with them. Most of my tires are evenly worn but the front passenger side is really worn on the inside from my camber angle slipping and riding like that. So the inside had no tread. Coming home from an autocross in Baton Rouge I caught some decent rain and it slowed me down from 70 to 40 because it was so squirrely. I couldn't imagine having to race on them even new.
troyguitar

On the plus side, it's semi-dry right now and I was just chilling with Randy Pobst for a few minutes. He's going to run someone's modded old Rabbit and seems like a cool guy.
troyguitar

ND on 295/35/15s on 15x12 :ramz:

:waxer:Image
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tire to weight ratio is :mindblown:
troyguitar

Real :waxer:Image
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:00 pm ND on 295/35/15s on 15x12 :ramz:

:waxer:Image
This is awesome. Love the blue too.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Dorifto! :fuckyeah:

Sorry the weather blows man. Yeah the all seasons may have been the better choice that day.
Acid666

So apparently these are the complaints about nationals right now on Reddit

Sooooooo who needs to be held accountable for how bad nationals is right now?

Really though, who do we talk to in order to ensure this doesn’t happen again? I get it, nobody can plan for the weather. But there are already several controversies that could have been avoided with better planning.

The maps being released early. Whether or not you agree with LSR’s decision to run the nats courses early, all of this could have been avoided if the SCCA had made a smart decision about releasing course maps at a reasonable time.

Not even PLANNING for rain. Weather is tricky, and the on-off-on again rain isn’t helping. But why on earth were cars on the West course allowed to continue running after the first spins into an empty grid? If anybody at the SCCA OR the course designer had made a smart, preemptive decision on rain and grid placement, the issue wouldn’t be there. And yet, 2 cars are ruined and the courses have been changed, COMPLETELY invalidating PAX.

Running into nighttime. In the interest of being fair, I wasn’t present for this, but I have spoken with several people who worked 6th heat this evening and how terrifying it was for them. To have CAMT cars, some completely without headlights, to be running at night puts corner workers’ well-being at risk and creates an unfair advantage for those who ran during the day. I’ve heard that some of the workers didn’t even have reflective bits on their vests and some competitors went on course, got lost, did donuts, and then beelined for the finish.

Is this the kind of experience nationals should deliver? How can we salvage what is left of this competition, particularly for those who run Tuesday/Wednesday? What must happen within the SCCA leadership in order for this to never happen again?
troyguitar

Yeah so nationals was an all around shitshow. Everything that I brought ended up wet and stinky, a bunch of my shit is ruined, and I wasted my time and money by showing up without a co-driver and rain tires and tire blankets. If I ever go back, it'll require a full effort. This :scrooge: shit is depressing and not worth doing again, it's not even fun to be 5+ seconds back no matter how well you drive.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 am Yeah so nationals was an all around shitshow. Everything that I brought ended up wet and stinky, a bunch of my shit is ruined, and I wasted my time and money by showing up without a co-driver and rain tires and tire blankets. If I ever go back, it'll require a full effort. This :scrooge: shit is depressing and not worth doing again, it's not even fun to be 5+ seconds back no matter how well you drive.
Man, rain.... Locally, I'll still race. But a big event far away from home? Shit, I'd have to second guess that shit. Or just not care about anything and just do it and expect horrible outcomes. I'm super prepared so going all the way over there and not being able to handle what's thrown at me just irks me to no end. I feel for ya man. Everything you read about it is that the experience and the people are totally worth it. But being miserable day in and out sucks balls. I skipped a motorcycle trip with my buddies up the Blue Ridge one year, and they rode in constant thunderstorms and said it was miserable beyond belief.
troyguitar

I almost didn't go, but I'd have been out the $190 entry fee and missed possibly the only chance I might have had to be competitive in the car... The forecast was originally for scattered storms, instead it was near constant rain for 48 hours - except for a couple of hours of random sunshine on Monday morning during which I got sunburnt to add injury to insult.

Lesson learned though: Don't bother going to nationals without a team, support vehicle(s), and thousands of dollars in extra shit.
Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:48 am I almost didn't go, but I'd have been out the $190 entry fee and missed possibly the only chance I might have had to be competitive in the car... The forecast was originally for scattered storms, instead it was near constant rain for 48 hours - except for a couple of hours of random sunshine on Monday morning during which I got sunburnt to add injury to insult.

Lesson learned though: Don't bother going to nationals without a team, support vehicle(s), and thousands of dollars in extra shit.
yeah and that's what would drive me nuts. Pack it all in because you never know. I'm a big worryer in that sense. It would be cool if a bunch of us went and we split up the duties/tools etc. On our motorcycle trips we split up responsibilities. I can't cook very well, so 2 of the 6 guys cooked and froze our dinners. One guy hauled a giant bag with ice and held all the big food and the rest of us carried his tent and other shit. I was in charge of tools and gas can and snacks.
Split that up where one guy brings a generator and air compressor and some tools, other people bring other shit... Combine forces and we've basically got a pit crew for other people when they're not running. Would be a cool unorganized non-well oiled machine. Lol.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:48 am I almost didn't go, but I'd have been out the $190 entry fee and missed possibly the only chance I might have had to be competitive in the car... The forecast was originally for scattered storms, instead it was near constant rain for 48 hours - except for a couple of hours of random sunshine on Monday morning during which I got sunburnt to add injury to insult.

yea, you need hugely $$ shocks just to start
Acid666 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 pm

yeah and that's what would drive me nuts. Pack it all in because you never know. I'm a big worryer in that sense. It would be cool if a bunch of us went and we split up the duties/tools etc. On our motorcycle trips we split up responsibilities. I can't cook very well, so 2 of the 6 guys cooked and froze our dinners. One guy hauled a giant bag with ice and held all the big food and the rest of us carried his tent and other shit. I was in charge of tools and gas can and snacks.
Split that up where one guy brings a generator and air compressor and some tools, other people bring other shit... Combine forces and we've basically got a pit crew for other people when they're not running. Would be a cool unorganized non-well oiled machine. Lol.
that pretty much what the big clubs do.
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar

On a warm-ish dry course my car is competitive as it sits. To have a shot this year would have "only" required a set of rain tires, tire blankets, and a sacrificial co-driver to drift the thing around and get some heat in the tires for me - plus make it so I take my runs in the second half of the heat instead of the first.
Acid666

Ahhh I was wondering what the co-driver comment was about.
Acid666

SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Annoying.. One of my vendors held up a shipment waiting for a backordered part, even though I told them not to worry about shipping complete. So now, not only am I waiting on that backordered part, but the stock for another line that had been allocated to my order was taken to fulfill someone else's order so now I have to go buy 160 of these random connectors somewhere else. Bitches.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:08 am Yeah so nationals was an all around shitshow. Everything that I brought ended up wet and stinky, a bunch of my shit is ruined, and I wasted my time and money by showing up without a co-driver and rain tires and tire blankets. If I ever go back, it'll require a full effort. This :scrooge: shit is depressing and not worth doing again, it's not even fun to be 5+ seconds back no matter how well you drive.
:disappoint:

That sucks man... not really surprised that people with more money into it would end up doing better though. It seems like karting is likely the most even playing field for that.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 pm

That sucks man... not really surprised that people with more money into it would end up doing better though. It seems like karting is likely the most even playing field for that.
High level karting is insanely expensive. Instead of fancy shocks you're doing fresh motors.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Apex wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:42 pm

High level karting is insanely expensive. Instead of fancy shocks you're doing fresh motors.
and chassis. they wear out.
brain go brrrrrr