Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:18 am
i knew it. A hillary supporter.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 5:41 pm Also, fuck dat :dillerman: sticker shadow.

:yikes: I thought that's the very thing you were trying to take off... reminds me of some east LA gang...

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Not much news to report, the car is essentially "done" at this point and only needs to be kept clean and full of oil+gas. I've put 6k miles on it now and I'm guessing around 3-4 quarts of oil.

I blew about $300 in gas over Memorial Day weekend running the Spring autox nationals while it was 101F with no clouds in Lincoln, Nebraska. 24 hours of transit time plus 2.5 days of standing on concrete in the hot sun for 6 minutes of competition. C-Street is stupidly competitive, over 2 days I could only manage 8th of 16 which was 2 tenths out of 5th and 2 seconds out of 1st. That beats my previous result in Blytheville of 13th of 14 and 3-4 seconds out of 1st though, so it's moving in the right direction.

The car is quick and handles perfectly, it just needs to be driven better. SoloStorm data shows that my best theoretical lap (comparing sector times between my best 2 runs) on day 1 would have picked up 1.794 seconds and day 2 left 0.837 on the table, total of 2.631 which would have been first place by .601 - of course those guys probably made mistakes too, but I don't think they were as egregious as mine especially on day 1.

Next national event is July 5-8 in Bristol, TN. We'll see how that goes.

:whocares:
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 pm Not much news to report, the car is essentially "done" at this point and only needs to be kept clean and full of oil+gas. I've put 6k miles on it now and I'm guessing around 3-4 quarts of oil.

I blew about $300 in gas over Memorial Day weekend running the Spring autox nationals while it was 101F with no clouds in Lincoln, Nebraska. 24 hours of transit time plus 2.5 days of standing on concrete in the hot sun for 6 minutes of competition. C-Street is stupidly competitive, over 2 days I could only manage 8th of 16 which was 2 tenths out of 5th and 2 seconds out of 1st. That beats my previous result in Blytheville of 13th of 14 and 3-4 seconds out of 1st though, so it's moving in the right direction.

The car is quick and handles perfectly, it just needs to be driven better. SoloStorm data shows that my best theoretical lap (comparing sector times between my best 2 runs) on day 1 would have picked up 1.794 seconds and day 2 left 0.837 on the table, total of 2.631 which would have been first place by .601 - of course those guys probably made mistakes too, but I don't think they were as egregious as mine especially on day 1.

I don't know anything about racing.. is there money on the table for 1st place in these national level races? Or is it just for fun/bragging rights, and maybe 1st and 2nd place people will get some sponsorship offers?
troyguitar

Between Mazda and Bridgestone, it's IIRC $550 for 1st place down to $50 for 6th at national events. Not much but it would certainly help offset costs if you can win some.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:hai: :mahtroy:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 pm Not much news to report, the car is essentially "done" at this point and only needs to be kept clean and full of oil+gas. I've put 6k miles on it now and I'm guessing around 3-4 quarts of oil.

Were you in a different class before? Are you still happy you made the switch?
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:00 pm I could only manage 8th of 16 which was 2 tenths out of 5th and 2 seconds out of 1st. That beats my previous result in Blytheville of 13th of 14 and 3-4 seconds out of 1st though, so it's moving in the right direction.
:notbad: :impressive:
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
SAWCE

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:08 pm Between Mazda and Bridgestone, it's IIRC $550 for 1st place down to $50 for 6th at national events. Not much but it would certainly help offset costs if you can win some.
:notbad:
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:10 pm

Were you in a different class before? Are you still happy you made the switch?
Spyder class was a little bit easier for sure, but I do like the RX8 better overall. Moar power plus more rigid chassis and enough space to actually bring enough shit with me wherever I go is well worth it. Whether I'll keep it long term or continue the :plac: game remains to be seen, that will largely depend on where/when we end up moving. Charlotte is still the leading candidate but Phoenix is also in the running - and I don't think the RX8 is going to work in Phoenix. At 100F the AC system is pretty much maxed out as I found this weekend, plus AFAIK they don't have any twisty roads there so you might as well get a murican vehicle with a big engine. Location and garage space will determine what happens next, until then the :wankel: is fun to spin.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

5/7 weekend by the sound of it.

Youre moving up. And you know where you can improve. Just keep at it.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:20 am I mean, I'd bet the A/C could use some love after 8-9 years of use. A/C condenser is probably jammed full of love bug guts from its life in Florida.

But good to hear it's running and driving well.
:dat:

also its so dry there, im curious how the AC would do.
Gunkata
Gravy Craver
Gravy Craver
Drives: Balls

sub'd
SAWCE

Gunkata wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:06 amsub'd
:wub: Jawn
Gunkata
Gravy Craver
Gravy Craver
Drives: Balls

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:07 am
Gunkata wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:06 amsub'd
<3

def want to read up on this thread. I probably wont do an autox till July at this point, this year in my friend's 2018 WRX. funz.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Gunkata wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:29 am

<3

def want to read up on this thread. I probably wont do an autox till July at this point, this year in my friend's 2018 WRX. funz.
Are you back back ? Or is this the annual post and leave check in ?

How’s the zzzz
troyguitar

Gunkata wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:29 am

<3

2018 WRX performance pack is the best car for DS right now, they work really well with a big rear sway bar.
gravey
Ground Chuck
Ground Chuck
Drives: Whichever bmw isn't broken

Damn, didn’t know you were so competitive in solo, good job man, glad the RX8 is getting the love it deserves!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nice man.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

The grip increase on concrete vs asphalt is real. Nearly stock RX8 with wimpy 245 RE71R on 8" wide wheels = 1.4g peak, 1.25g sustained lateral. It's about 0.05-0.10 stickier than asphalt.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Sounds like a fun memorial day weekend, Troy. Glad the Mazzder is still keeping you entertained!
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

gravey wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:53 am Damn, didn’t know you were so competitive in solo, good job man, glad the RX8 is getting the love it deserves!

Troy's the real deal. Got a taste for this at a 2 day event in Oct and was uber impressed. Mad skillz y0. The fastest local in Nola wasn't racing, but Troy legit would of gave him a difficult run for his FTD if he was racing that day.
troyguitar

[user not found] wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:25 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:59 pm The grip increase on concrete vs asphalt is real. Nearly stock RX8 with wimpy 245 RE71R on 8" wide wheels = 1.4g peak, 1.25g sustained lateral. It's about 0.05-0.10 stickier than asphalt.
Chews tires up for lunch, too.

Our local venue that is mostly concrete is rouuuuuuugh on rubber.
That seems to vary based on more specific surface conditions, the Lincoln concrete is pretty smooth for example while the asphalt in Louisville is hell on tires to the point that I don't really want to go there anymore. NCM in Bowling Green seems like you could run on it for eternity without changing tires. Dunno if it has to do with the aggregate composition or what, but I'm sitting at around 5/32" tread depth with ~5500 miles and 50 autox runs which means I might be looking at a new set to be comfortable in case it rains at Nats in September. Competing in the rain with near-slicks is :disgust:
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

For reference, I got 158 runs out of the RE-71s on the Z06 with me and the wife co-driving.
Mostly concrete at Cenla and a handful of asphalt runs at Nola. I was super impressed with that, but being that they're wider might have had a lot to do with their longevity.
troyguitar

Acid666 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:47 pm For reference, I got 158 runs out of the RE-71s on the Z06 with me and the wife co-driving.
Mostly concrete at Cenla and a handful of asphalt runs at Nola. I was super impressed with that, but being that they're wider might have had a lot to do with their longevity.
Yeah we'll see, I'm thinking that they might have just worn rapidly at first and are now slowing down to a more reasonable rate. I measured them at some point last month and they were about the same as they are now, which was 2k or so miles plus ~10 competition runs ago. Looking at the calendar, I'm guessing only around 40 more runs will take place before Nats so maybe I'll be fine with ~90 runs and ~10k miles on them. I do think I'll have the tires flipped inside out soon though, the outside shoulders wear heavily.