9000 Placs Per Minute

Strut your greasy stuff!
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

You're confusing autox with actual racing. That is super expensive and requires a dedicated car. Autox requires only a dedicated set of tires.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:29 pm You're confusing autox with actual racing. That is super expensive and requires a dedicated car. Autox requires only a dedicated set of tires.
For my own knowledge how much are the fees for Auto X and how much actual racing can you get done?
For me out here it was :disgust: so far... 4 sub 1 min runs before + $50 fee +$20 in gas driving not to mention wear and tear on the car... and that was 1 event only :(
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:29 pm You're confusing autox with actual racing. That is super expensive and requires a dedicated car. Autox requires only a dedicated set of tires.
For my own knowledge how much are the fees for Auto X and how much actual racing can you get done?
For me out here it was :disgust: so far... 4 sub 1 min runs before + $50 fee +$20 in gas driving not to mention wear and tear on the car... and that was 1 event only :(
There is no actual racing in autox. You get 3-5 minutes of seat time per day for $25-90 in entry fees.
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:55 pm
max225 wrote:
There is no actual racing in autox. You get 3-5 minutes of seat time per day for $25-90 in entry fees.
:nope:

https://www.sfrscca.org/autocross/new/
$55 it seems like locally...
troyguitar

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:55 pm There is no actual racing in autox. You get 3-5 minutes of seat time per day for $25-90 in entry fees.

Beats $500+ for a trackdaybro with insurance...

I guess you could just "race" people on the highway instead for free :doe:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 pm
max225 wrote:

Beats $500+ for a trackdaybro with insurance...

:aintcare: enough about other people and measuring myself against them in such a matter. Indoor go kart racing is far more fun for that. All things are equal and you just check out who is the better driver. No need to set the entire day on fire either.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Whiteland Raceway is under new management with lots of upgrades planned. Come back to karting.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
troyguitar

4zilch wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:15 pm Whiteland Raceway is under new management with lots of upgrades planned. Come back to karting.
:neat:

Out of my price range :doe: plus all signs continue to point to a move to Corning, NY "soon" which could mean a month or a year. :disgust:

If I knew that I'd keep living this close to New Castle, I'd probably try to get another shifter kart and store it in one of their garages - and I guess drive a used original :manuel: Insight in order to try to afford to run the kart. :fullretard:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:34 pm
4zilch wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:15 pm Whiteland Raceway is under new management with lots of upgrades planned. Come back to karting.
:neat:

Out of my price range :doe: plus all signs continue to point to a move to Corning, NY "soon" which could mean a month or a year. :disgust:

If I knew that I'd keep living this close to New Castle, I'd probably try to get another shifter kart and store it in one of their garages - and I guess drive a used original :manuel: Insight in order to try to afford to run the kart. :fullretard:
:word:

Whiteland is only about 35 minutes from me, so I’ve been casually thinking about a kart. They run supermotos up there as well, but only in practice format. No sanctioned racing for them.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:08 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:07 pm Beats $500+ for a trackdaybro with insurance...

:aintcare: enough about other people and measuring myself against them in such a matter. Indoor go kart racing is far more fun for that. All things are equal and you just check out who is the better driver. No need to set the entire day on fire either.
The most fun I've ever had on 4 wheels is high performance karting. Indoors electric carts at that.

Autocross is fun though. Really is. It's just such a time suck for such a small amount of seat time.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:35 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:26 pm

I've been bi-curious about a TurDI :manuel: wagon as an option.
A $10k car with a 10 year warranty and a known good chassis is really hard to ignore... plus it comes with a fucking hatch AND wagon option. My old :turboyaris: with the rear bench removed (took 2 minutes with no tools) so that the seatbacks folded flat was a great little cargo wagon. Just get a :manuel: with no sunroof to keep the German Car Things to a minimum and it's probably a great option. Used iA for $10k is likely even more reliable. $20k+ on a Lobster/6 is probably dumb.
I like this idea. The MK6 TDI was a great little car, IMO it was a better car than the GTI, because it got basically the GTI suspension but the more reliable and still entertaining diesel motor. I always enjoyed the wagon TDI DSGs that I got as loaners, and with the GTI suspension and less weight hanging out the back they'd be even better. Would be worth it to try out a DSG model too, they shift so fast and that trans pairs perfectly with that engine. They're legit quick 0-30 and will roast a tire, but rather slowish to 60 so you can just flat foot them all over the place and :stig: away.

Just look into what the dieselgate changes are. I know on the Porsches the "fix" is extremely detrimental to engine performance, where intake soot is off the damn charts and clogging the motors. PM Fledonfoot he might have some insider info, or could get some.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:29 am

Everyone's got different priorities. :iono:

I'll do 1-2 AutoX events a year because I find it fun. Running a full schedule is too much of a time suck for me and too low on the time investment to reward scale.

I'd rather do other things with a full day.
:iono: I think you literally said exactly what I said ?! I agree 100%
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:45 am
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:41 am

:iono: I think you literally said exactly what I said ?! I agree 100%
Kinda. I do care about comparing my skills against others, though. :stig:
Right. The purest form of that is karting as the vehicles are all “the same” as opposed to racing a veyron in a gti. Auto X is fun but the time investment is insane
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:45 am

Kinda. I do care about comparing my skills against others, though. :stig:
Right. The purest form of that is karting as the vehicles are all “the same” as opposed to racing a veyron in a gti. Auto X is fun but the time investment is insane
but when you pass a veyron in a GTI :dedong:
max225

4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:55 am
max225 wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 am

Daily :bruh:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:57 am
4zilch wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:55 am

Someone's gonna :rage:
:dat:

or when you pass the guy running slicks on your street tires
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:45 am Kinda. I do care about comparing my skills against others, though. :stig:
:dat: I agree. It has to also be a "hanging with friends" thing to be at all worthwhile to me. I'd rather :troywax: 10X the cash on a track day for 20X the seat time. While the track is insanely expensive, it's one of the most fun things in the world for me so I'll pay it when I can.

I'm not wired to be competitive the way Troy is though, :aintcare:

Also, we have a kick-ass karting place here, GoPro, it's world class and like $60 for 30 minutes of real racing on a road course and you're only there for an hour or so.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

GLWS of the RX8. Very cool car.

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:29 am

Everyone's got different priorities. :iono:

I'll do 1-2 AutoX events a year because I find it fun. Running a full schedule is too much of a time suck for me and too low on the time investment to reward scale.

Its worse than golf.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:29 am Everyone's got different priorities. :iono:

Its worse than golf.
Not sure if sarcastic, but I agree. At least golf you get to drunk drive legally and it only takes 1/2 a day.

troyguitar

When you get to a higher level in karts, the results just show you who happened to get the best handling kart at the rental places - power is usually pretty close on the karts but they vary a lot in handling. They're also slow as hell. I spent too many years racing 40 hp 6-speed karts with proper sticky tires and front brakes on bigger, grippier tracks to be able to really enjoy running rental karts anymore. It'd be like Max driving a base Yaris on Nankangs.

Rental karts are fun if you're :drunk: :doe:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:37 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
Its worse than golf.
Not sure if sarcastic, but I agree. At least golf you get to drunk drive legally and it only takes 1/2 a day.

Not at all. Both make your Saturday gonezo, pretty much.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:37 pm Not sure if sarcastic, but I agree. At least golf you get to drunk drive legally and it only takes 1/2 a day.

Not at all. Both make your Saturday gonezo, pretty much.
Yeah, why would you spend a day doing something fun when you can spend it working? :disgust:
Johnny_P

Golf is a hard pass
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:30 pm Riding a bike on a golf course is mad fun.
:dat:
Oh I would. I also feel like a Fraud Raptor would be a lot of fun on a golf course.