9000 Placs Per Minute

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:50 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:31 am It was driving me nuts when I had a car in the garage and not driving it. I dunno how you guys do it
Don't think about it. It's paid off - so once it's out of sight, it's out of mind.
I still had to pay insurance, and registration, and run it once a month or so. It is really bad for a car to sit for more than 2 weeks.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Also in my case, in April it'll be like discovering a barn find. Maybe I can document it and sell the car as a "rare barn find not driven in years" or some :bs:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am Also in my case, in April it'll be like discovering a barn find. Maybe I can document it and sell the car as a "rare barn find not driven in years" or some :bs:
You have the Mileage (Lack there of) to back up the claim. So why not ?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:50 am

Don't think about it. It's paid off - so once it's out of sight, it's out of mind.
I still had to pay insurance, and registration, and run it once a month or so. It is really bad for a car to sit for more than 2 weeks.
:wrong:

Car can sit fine for months with the proper prep. It's best to just let it sit and not start it until you're ready to drive.

Also, comprehensive only coverage is like $100 for 6 mos (essentially storage insurance). Reg is a legit cost :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:53 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:52 am Also in my case, in April it'll be like discovering a barn find. Maybe I can document it and sell the car as a "rare barn find not driven in years" or some :bs:
It rolled over 60k in the fall, pretty sure it's basically totaled.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:53 am

Car can sit fine for months with the proper prep. It's best to just let it sit and not start it until you're ready to drive.

Also, comprehensive only coverage is like $100 for 6 mos (essentially storage insurance). Reg is a legit cost :doe:
Going off personal experience here so of course I’m :wrong: crown Vic rotors rusted, a tire went flat, and there was a ton of moisture in the exhaust that took 2 hrs of idling and driving to get out. And that’s in my terrible Cali climate. Also the engine idled funny after the first crank and battery seemed a bit weak. And the last battery in that car lasted 10 years. This one is only 2 years old.

There are some internal engine things as well, moisture can lead to rust inside the cylinders etc. obviously it won’t seize etc. but everyone who knows a thing about cars always states they need to be driven. Sitting makes a car rot
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:54 am
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:53 am

It rolled over 60k in the fall, pretty sure it's basically totaled.
Car is 17 years old. 60k miles is super low. My m3 has 26k on it and it is 3 years old, it’ll have 180k on it if it was as old as your car
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:57 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:53 am

Going off personal experience here so of course I’m :wrong: crown Vic rotors rusted, a tire went flat, and there was a ton of moisture in the exhaust that took 2 hrs of idling and driving to get out. And that’s in my terrible Cali climate. Also the engine idled funny after the first crank and battery seemed a bit weak. And the last battery in that car lasted 10 years. This one is only 2 years old.

There are some internal engine things as well, moisture can lead to rust inside the cylinders etc. obviously it won’t seize etc. but everyone who knows a thing about cars always states they need to be driven. Sitting makes a car rot
Sitting for years makes a car rot. 4-6 mos is NBD if you take the proper prep. My checklist:

Full gas tank all the way to the top (minimal room for condensation to form)
Over-inflate tires a few PSI to reduce risk of flats (cold ambient temps will drop pressure)
Battery out, on tender in basement
Park on plastic sheeting to reduce moisture transfer from ground
Cover

Been doing this with this car since I bought it 4 years ago, always perfectly fine in the spring. Usually not even much rust on the rotors (what's there is knocked off by the brake pads as I back it out of the garage on the first start. I even pulled the heads off it a few years ago after it was sitting for 3 months, zero rust on the cylinder walls.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:59 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:54 am It rolled over 60k in the fall, pretty sure it's basically totaled.
Car is 17 years old. 60k miles is super low. My m3 has 26k on it and it is 3 years old, it’ll have 180k on it if it was as old as your car
Not in Corvette land. There's a ton of sub 40k mile C5's still out there. 60k miles on a Corvette is basically 100k on an M3.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:26 pm

Registration is 1x a year, insurance is lumped into an auto deduction from my checking. I literally don't think about it.

It's a fun thing that gets used 7-9 months out of the year. Same as my bikes that are also hanging unused for the winter while it's cold out. :aintcare:
:wasteful:
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:10 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:59 am

Not in Corvette land. There's a ton of sub 40k mile C5's still out there. 60k miles on a Corvette is basically 100k on an M3.
That is really :impressive: that there are sub 40k plastic fantastic out there. I think I am sort of in the 1% when it comes to driving the m3 though... most drive it less. But M3s do get driven more than vettes, because they are more DD friendly.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:10 pm
That is really :impressive: that there are sub 40k plastic fantastic out there. I think I am sort of in the 1% when it comes to driving the m3 though... most drive it less. But M3s do get driven more than vettes, because they are more DD friendly.
Especially around here, so many old dudes bought them then just tucked them away. "Never driven in the rain" seems to be common as does "original tires", etc. So many old dudes thought they were buying collector pieces.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:26 pm

Registration is 1x a year, insurance is lumped into an auto deduction from my checking. I literally don't think about it.

It's a fun thing that gets used 7-9 months out of the year. Same as my bikes that are also hanging unused for the winter while it's cold out. :aintcare:
:wasteful: :howdareu:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:23 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:36 pm

:wasteful: :howdareu:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Federal Bean and Loan Inc. is going under?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Had my first legit bite on the car today, a friend of a friend just sold his problem-ridden BMW today and is shopping for replacement coupes/sedans to replace it - he kind of misses his RX8 that he sold in 2017 and has asked about mine at a few autox events this past summer, so he might be serious. He's big and didn't like how he fit in his old one, but mine with no sunroof and a lowered seat bottom should be way the fuck better. Hopefully I can complete my :rudy: transformation and no longer own a car by this time next week... :notsure: :excited: :butwhy: :fullretard: :dafuq: :truckyeah:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:49 pm Had my first legit bite on the car today, a friend of a friend just sold his problem-ridden BMW today and is shopping for replacement coupes/sedans to replace it - he kind of misses his RX8 that he sold in 2017 and has asked about mine at a few autox events this past summer, so he might be serious. He's big and didn't like how he fit in his old one, but mine with no sunroof and a lowered seat bottom should be way the fuck better. Hopefully I can complete my :rudy: transformation and no longer own a car by this time next week... :notsure: :excited: :butwhy: :fullretard: :dafuq: :truckyeah:
You're a few months ahead of me. I am trying to do something similar as we discussed. Good luck :like:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:49 pm Had my first legit bite on the car today, a friend of a friend just sold his problem-ridden BMW today and is shopping for replacement coupes/sedans to replace it - he kind of misses his RX8 that he sold in 2017 and has asked about mine at a few autox events this past summer, so he might be serious. He's big and didn't like how he fit in his old one, but mine with no sunroof and a lowered seat bottom should be way the fuck better. Hopefully I can complete my :rudy: transformation and no longer own a car by this time next week... :notsure: :excited: :butwhy: :fullretard: :dafuq: :truckyeah:
Congrats maybe. I'm full on :millennial: now spending big bucks on a one bedroom apartment in the city. So far... kinda missing 'burbs life.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 pm
Congrats maybe. I'm full on :millennial: now spending big bucks on a one bedroom apartment in the city. So far... kinda missing 'burbs life.
What do you miss? And How much is the apartment ?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:01 pm

Works out to about $1400 after all rape fees for a one bedroom. Obviously cheap by Bay Area standards but I don't make Bay Area money. I miss being able to walk out the door and having my car right there... and also being able to easily work on car shit. Honestly, if you don't care about cars that much it would be great. Overall I do like it. Just bitter today because the C5 broke and I now am going to have to pay out the ass.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:11 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Works out to about $1400 after all rape fees for a one bedroom. Obviously cheap by Bay Area standards but I don't make Bay Area money. I miss being able to walk out the door and having my car right there... and also being able to easily work on car shit. Honestly, if you don't care about cars that much it would be great. Overall I do like it. Just bitter today because the C5 broke and I now am going to have to pay out the ass.
Whats the update on that ?
Usually, a :millenial: apartment means you can walk to hibachi and the local laundromat while fending off the bums. if you have to drive places and have an apartment that is :poverty: status :doe: worst of both worlds.
ChrisoftheNorth

I would never trade :haus: lyfe for apt lyfe, but that's just me.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Detroit wrote:I would never trade :haus: lyfe for apt lyfe, but that's just me.
:dat:

We have 99% decided to stick with a :haus: in no small part because I am too into muzak. I need to be able to make noise.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:38 pm I would never trade :haus: lyfe for apt lyfe, but that's just me.
Me either.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:03 pm
Detroit wrote:I would never trade :haus: lyfe for apt lyfe, but that's just me.
:dat:

We have 99% decided to stick with a :haus: in no small part because I am too into muzak. I need to be able to make noise.
I'm glad you decided to go this way.