Detroit
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Camdalf the Brub

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 pm

Heloc on a brand new :waxer: house? :impressive:
Desertbreh wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:40 pm
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

max225
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Kamry XSE

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Holy shit

D Griff
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: AARPurple Brub Tub

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm

Detroit wrote:Heloc on a brand new :waxer: house? :impressive:
:whocares: a low interest loan is a low interest loan. Can't afford not to take it. I have plenty of cash to buy a $7k car but would consider a loan on one as well.

Also, not everyone is rich like DFD bros... $7k is a lot to most Americans.
Last edited by D Griff on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Detroit

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:04 pm

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote:Heloc on a brand new :waxer: house? :impressive:
:whocares: a low interest loan is a low interest loan. Can't afford not to take it.
How does a brand new house have equity to loan out? The down payment on the mortgage?

:doomed:
Desertbreh wrote:
My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.

D Griff
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote:
:whocares: a low interest loan is a low interest loan. Can't afford not to take it.
How does a brand new house have equity to loan out? The down payment on the mortgage?

$7k isn't that much equity :iono:

Apex
Drives: TrukYeah!

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:06 pm

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote:

In my experience, when someone builds a brand new house it costs $X to build. In this market, when the build is finished the value is $X+Y because comps keep going up in value.

EDIT: Also, when doing construction loans the LTV was closer to 65% than the "standard" 80% so you had room right there for a HELOC after the build was done.
Last edited by Apex on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Detroit

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:08 pm

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: How does a brand new house have equity to loan out? The down payment on the mortgage?

Suppose so. I just don't like the idea of using my house as a bank account. I'd rather keep that there in case of emergency or something.
Desertbreh wrote:

Detroit

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:09 pm

Apex wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:06 pm
Detroit wrote:

In my experience, when someone builds a brand new house it costs $X to build. In this market, when the build is finished the value is $X+Y because comps keep going up in value.
:impressive:

I should build a new house.
Desertbreh wrote:

D Griff
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:13 pm

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote:
Suppose so. I just don't like the idea of using my house as a bank account. I'd rather keep that there in case of emergency or something.
I'm not :waxer: to own a home, so :iono:

My parents typically buy their cars with their Heloc, but that house is paid off and they're renting it to one of my sisters, so I suppose it's a different situation. It's really convenient that they can just go in and write a check for whatever amount they want to buy a car with :doe: .

Detroit

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 pm

D Griff wrote:
Detroit wrote: Suppose so. I just don't like the idea of using my house as a bank account. I'd rather keep that there in case of emergency or something.

My parents typically buy their cars with their Heloc, but that house is paid off and they're renting it to one of my sisters, so I suppose it's a different situation. It's really convenient that they can just go in and write a check for whatever amount they want to buy a car with :doe: .
Having it paid off is a completely different situation, IMO. I would use it in their situation as well.

I just like to keep my monthly commitments as low as possible...especially for essentials like housing. I can lose my job and float mortgage payments for 6 mos on saved cash if I have to. Taking on HELOC and whatnot would make that harder, and I'd hate myself if it was for something non-essential like a toy car.
Desertbreh wrote:

max225
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:12 pm

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote:

Having it paid off is a completely different situation, IMO. I would use it in their situation as well.

I just like to keep my monthly commitments as low as possible...especially for essentials like housing. I can lose my job and float mortgage payments for 6 mos on saved cash if I have to. Taking on HELOC and whatnot would make that harder, and I'd hate myself if it was for something non-essential like a toy car.
Your approach is unamerican. You deserve a toy car you can’t afford by taking a loan against a house you can’t afford. This way you can walk away and blame the .gov once you lose your job ala 2008-2010

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 pm

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote:

Your approach is unamerican. You deserve a toy car you can’t afford by taking a loan against a house you can’t afford. This way you can walk away and blame the .gov once you lose your job ala 2008-2010
:dat:

On the other hand, it's not like we're talking about a Duramax/Airboat combo here. The Toyota is fully depreciated.
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

max225
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:43 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
max225 wrote:

On the other hand, it's not like we're talking about a Duramax/Airboat combo here. The Toyota is fully depreciated.
Should we up the ante and buy fully depreciated ferraris we can't afford, just because they are?

troyguitar
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: Screaming Dorito

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:48 pm

max225 wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

Should we up the ante and buy fully depreciated ferraris we can't afford, just because they are?
Maybe... If I could get a yuuge low interest 30 year loan, I'd buy something like a Ferrari or, more likely, a GT3/4. I "can't afford it" but it would really cost about the same as a new :turboyaris: over the years.

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:54 pm

max225 wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

I would think that would appeal to you, Mr. "True Cost of Ownership."
max225 wrote: You can't "hoon" a pos like that. You can however set up a methlab.

Detroit

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:57 pm

max225 wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

It's the american dream, is it not?
Desertbreh wrote:

max225
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Desertbreh wrote:
max225 wrote:

I can't risk blowing an engine on a Ferrari made by Tony the morning they yet lost another world cup +trying to sell a 100k red brick for when shit hits the fan that is now worth $15k

Ferrari+Porsche ownershit is for the rich. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend to be playing the big boys game.

Desertbreh
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:33 pm

max225 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote:

I can't risk blowing an engine on a Ferrari made by Tony the morning they yet lost another world cup +trying to sell a 100k red brick for when shit hits the fan that is now worth $15k

Ferrari+Porsche ownershit is for the rich. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend to be playing the big boys game.
#PeterPoon

D Griff
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:27 pm

max225 wrote:
Desertbreh wrote:

You are the rich, you're just too damn cheap to enjoy it. I like forward to having Porsche on this forum and driving it into my poverty spec sunset.

max225
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:37 pm

D Griff wrote:
max225 wrote:

You are the rich, you're just too damn cheap to enjoy it. I like forward to having Porsche on this forum and driving it into my poverty spec sunset.
Don’t forget how much it costs to live here

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Mk6Veyron

Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:55 pm

D Griff wrote:
max225 wrote:

:fuckyeah:
:popcorn:
In4griffpcarchronicles
:wap: Where are these mangos?

max225
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

D Griff wrote:
max225 wrote:

I don't get why you're going all the way into the P car territory. You'd think there would be other cars far lower on the insane totem pole that satisfy your urgers without the crazy P car markup on everything.

D Griff
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm

max225 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm
D Griff wrote:

I don't get why you're going all the way into the P car territory. You'd think there would be other cars far lower on the insane totem pole that satisfy your urgers without the crazy P car markup on everything.
I'm not balls deep yet, but we'll see how I feel after the weekend with the Cayman. Other things I plan on trying out are the 370Z, BRZ, Mustang GT and EcBROboost...

There isn't really much to "upgrade" from the C5. E90 M3 would be cool but more expensive and less reliable than the Cayman, plus I'm betting higher insurance and definitely higher fuel costs. C6 would be the sensible choice but it feels boring to just get into another Corvette. I like light cars, I like sports cars. I can get away with having a two seater only at this stage of my life, so why not?

The Cayman seems pretty cheap. As you pointed out in the other thread, most of the "huge maintenance cost" stuff can be handled for not a lot of money by DIY. If I get a 2011 or so for $25k or so, there's not all that much room to depreciate, especially since the new four cylinder models are "terrible" and all of that. I'm guessing insurance will be fairly cheap along the lines of the Corvette, stuff that old people like is cheap to insure.

I could just keep the C5, but :plac: . I've had it for 3.5 years and something new would be fun. The Cayman checks the boxes and will be a lot nicer to be in day to day, better handling, won't scrape on everything as much. I really fell in love with the Elise and the Cayman seems the closest thing that I can afford and is actually usable as a daily.

Detroit

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm

The cheapest 09-12 Cayman you can possibly find is the way to go.
Desertbreh wrote:

• Information