Corollise GT RS 1.8

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am
Detroit wrote: How does a brand new house have equity to loan out? The down payment on the mortgage?

:doomed:
$7k isn't that much equity :iono:
Suppose so. I just don't like the idea of using my house as a bank account. I'd rather keep that there in case of emergency or something.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:06 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 am
How does a brand new house have equity to loan out? The down payment on the mortgage?

:doomed:
In my experience, when someone builds a brand new house it costs $X to build. In this market, when the build is finished the value is $X+Y because comps keep going up in value.
:impressive:

I should build a new house.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote:
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am $7k isn't that much equity :iono:
Suppose so. I just don't like the idea of using my house as a bank account. I'd rather keep that there in case of emergency or something.
I'm not :waxer: to own a home, so :iono:

My parents typically buy their cars with their Heloc, but that house is paid off and they're renting it to one of my sisters, so I suppose it's a different situation. It's really convenient that they can just go in and write a check for whatever amount they want to buy a car with :doe: .
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:13 am
Detroit wrote: Suppose so. I just don't like the idea of using my house as a bank account. I'd rather keep that there in case of emergency or something.

My parents typically buy their cars with their Heloc, but that house is paid off and they're renting it to one of my sisters, so I suppose it's a different situation. It's really convenient that they can just go in and write a check for whatever amount they want to buy a car with :doe: .
Having it paid off is a completely different situation, IMO. I would use it in their situation as well.

I just like to keep my monthly commitments as low as possible...especially for essentials like housing. I can lose my job and float mortgage payments for 6 mos on saved cash if I have to. Taking on HELOC and whatnot would make that harder, and I'd hate myself if it was for something non-essential like a toy car.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:13 am

Having it paid off is a completely different situation, IMO. I would use it in their situation as well.

I just like to keep my monthly commitments as low as possible...especially for essentials like housing. I can lose my job and float mortgage payments for 6 mos on saved cash if I have to. Taking on HELOC and whatnot would make that harder, and I'd hate myself if it was for something non-essential like a toy car.
Your approach is unamerican. You deserve a toy car you can’t afford by taking a loan against a house you can’t afford. This way you can walk away and blame the .gov once you lose your job ala 2008-2010
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:23 am

Your approach is unamerican. You deserve a toy car you can’t afford by taking a loan against a house you can’t afford. This way you can walk away and blame the .gov once you lose your job ala 2008-2010
:dat:

On the other hand, it's not like we're talking about a Duramax/Airboat combo here. The Toyota is fully depreciated.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 am

On the other hand, it's not like we're talking about a Duramax/Airboat combo here. The Toyota is fully depreciated.
Should we up the ante and buy fully depreciated ferraris we can't afford, just because they are?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 pm :dat:

Should we up the ante and buy fully depreciated ferraris we can't afford, just because they are?
Maybe... If I could get a yuuge low interest 30 year loan, I'd buy something like a Ferrari or, more likely, a GT3/4. I "can't afford it" but it would really cost about the same as a new :turboyaris: over the years.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:43 pm

I would think that would appeal to you, Mr. "True Cost of Ownership."
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

It's the american dream, is it not?
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 pm
I can't risk blowing an engine on a Ferrari made by Tony the morning they yet lost another world cup +trying to sell a 100k red brick for when shit hits the fan that is now worth $15k

Ferrari+Porsche ownershit is for the rich. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend to be playing the big boys game.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 pm

I can't risk blowing an engine on a Ferrari made by Tony the morning they yet lost another world cup +trying to sell a 100k red brick for when shit hits the fan that is now worth $15k

Ferrari+Porsche ownershit is for the rich. Let's not kid ourselves and pretend to be playing the big boys game.
#PeterPoon
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:54 pm I would think that would appeal to you, Mr. "True Cost of Ownership."

You are the rich, you're just too damn cheap to enjoy it. I like forward to having Porsche on this forum and driving it into my poverty spec sunset.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:27 pm
max225 wrote:

You are the rich, you're just too damn cheap to enjoy it. I like forward to having Porsche on this forum and driving it into my poverty spec sunset.
Don’t forget how much it costs to live here
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote:

:fuckyeah:
:popcorn:
In4griffpcarchronicles
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

max225 wrote:

I don't get why you're going all the way into the P car territory. You'd think there would be other cars far lower on the insane totem pole that satisfy your urgers without the crazy P car markup on everything.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm

I don't get why you're going all the way into the P car territory. You'd think there would be other cars far lower on the insane totem pole that satisfy your urgers without the crazy P car markup on everything.
I'm not balls deep yet, but we'll see how I feel after the weekend with the Cayman. Other things I plan on trying out are the 370Z, BRZ, Mustang GT and EcBROboost...

There isn't really much to "upgrade" from the C5. E90 M3 would be cool but more expensive and less reliable than the Cayman, plus I'm betting higher insurance and definitely higher fuel costs. C6 would be the sensible choice but it feels boring to just get into another Corvette. I like light cars, I like sports cars. I can get away with having a two seater only at this stage of my life, so why not?

The Cayman seems pretty cheap. As you pointed out in the other thread, most of the "huge maintenance cost" stuff can be handled for not a lot of money by DIY. If I get a 2011 or so for $25k or so, there's not all that much room to depreciate, especially since the new four cylinder models are "terrible" and all of that. I'm guessing insurance will be fairly cheap along the lines of the Corvette, stuff that old people like is cheap to insure.

I could just keep the C5, but :plac: . I've had it for 3.5 years and something new would be fun. The Cayman checks the boxes and will be a lot nicer to be in day to day, better handling, won't scrape on everything as much. I really fell in love with the Elise and the Cayman seems the closest thing that I can afford and is actually usable as a daily.
ChrisoftheNorth

The cheapest 09-12 Cayman you can possibly find is the way to go.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm
I'm not balls deep yet, but we'll see how I feel after the weekend with the Cayman. Other things I plan on trying out are the 370Z, BRZ, Mustang GT and EcBROboost...

There isn't really much to "upgrade" from the C5. E90 M3 would be cool but more expensive and less reliable than the Cayman, plus I'm betting higher insurance and definitely higher fuel costs. C6 would be the sensible choice but it feels boring to just get into another Corvette. I like light cars, I like sports cars. I can get away with having a two seater only at this stage of my life, so why not?

The Cayman seems pretty cheap. As you pointed out in the other thread, most of the "huge maintenance cost" stuff can be handled for not a lot of money by DIY. If I get a 2011 or so for $25k or so, there's not all that much room to depreciate, especially since the new four cylinder models are "terrible" and all of that. I'm guessing insurance will be fairly cheap along the lines of the Corvette, stuff that old people like is cheap to insure.

I could just keep the C5, but :plac: . I've had it for 3.5 years and something new would be fun. The Cayman checks the boxes and will be a lot nicer to be in day to day, better handling, won't scrape on everything as much. I really fell in love with the Elise and the Cayman seems the closest thing that I can afford and is actually usable as a daily.
I dunno the amount of "power" in a gayman is just a huge "shock" from when you're going from a C5 IMO. I also think the first gen caymans look pretty damn dated now...

I can totally see the value of a 40k slightly used CPO gayman that looks identical to the new ones... but a 3 gen old one with a crucial bearing made of Reichskristall meh... it takes the "joy" out of that. Might as well keep the C5. I do think a 370z is a nice compromise... but you'd have to be ok with the badge. I think the 370z in touring trim adds a lot of refinement etc over a C5.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

987's look the same as any other cayman/911 on the outside.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 pm

I dunno the amount of "power" in a gayman is just a huge "shock" from when you're going from a C5 IMO. I also think the first gen caymans look pretty damn dated now...

I can totally see the value of a 40k slightly used CPO gayman that looks identical to the new ones... but a 3 gen old one with a crucial bearing made of Reichskristall meh... it takes the "joy" out of that. Might as well keep the C5. I do think a 370z is a nice compromise... but you'd have to be ok with the badge. I think the 370z in touring trim adds a lot of refinement etc over a C5.
Yeah if I go the Cayman route, it would be either a 2008 S or 09-11 non S, not sure which yet. I'll see after driving them.

The Z is kind of compelling, but after reading about how loud they are inside :iono: That is one of the things that bug me about the C5.

I agree the newer ones look nice, and while I could :troywax: on a $40k vehicle, I'm just not about spending that much. I don't know that I care that much about the powah, it's as quick as a tooned GTI, which is really quick enough. The C5 powah is fun but it's also an easy way to get into trouble fast. I bombed some back roads this weekend with my buddy in his NA Miata and was missing the "slow car fast" thing a bit. I don't want to go that slow, but 265 horsepower is OK maybe. It's a 2900 pound car.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:35 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm

Yeah if I go the Cayman route, it would be either a 2008 S or 09-11 non S, not sure which yet. I'll see after driving them.

The Z is kind of compelling, but after reading about how loud they are inside :iono: That is one of the things that bug me about the C5.

I agree the newer ones look nice, and while I could :troywax: on a $40k vehicle, I'm just not about spending that much. I don't know that I care that much about the powah, it's as quick as a tooned GTI, which is really quick enough. The C5 powah is fun but it's also an easy way to get into trouble fast. I bombed some back roads this weekend with my buddy in his NA Miata and was missing the "slow car fast" thing a bit. I don't want to go that slow, but 265 horsepower is OK maybe. It's a 2900 pound car.
The Cayman is NOT quiet... especially on 19s.. or even 18s. They are not the most refined cars. Perhaps more refined than a C5 but on par with a Z.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:37 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:35 pm

The Cayman is NOT quiet... especially on 19s.. or even 18s. They are not the most refined cars. Perhaps more refined than a C5 but on par with a Z.
I don't doubt it. I'm planning to get a 370Z next month for a Yosemite weekend trip and have the Cayman S for the trip to Zion this weekend, so I'll be getting a nice real world experience in both. I can't help but suspect the ownershit costs in the Cayman are actually lower though.

The perks of the Z would be a newer car for less money, less worries due to being new and Japanese, and of course power.

Cayman perks are mid engine, nicer interior (I like the design more), better depreciation, lighter, and the fact that it would just be really cool to own a Porsche before turning 30 next year. #YOLO :millennial:
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:37 pm
I don't doubt it. I'm planning to get a 370Z next month for a Yosemite weekend trip and have the Cayman S for the trip to Zion this weekend, so I'll be getting a nice real world experience in both. I can't help but suspect the ownershit costs in the Cayman are actually lower though.

The perks of the Z would be a newer car for less money, less worries due to being new and Japanese, and of course power.

Cayman perks are mid engine, nicer interior (I like the design more), better depreciation, lighter, and the fact that it would just be really cool to own a Porsche before turning 30 next year. #YOLO :millennial:
For now it still seems like 370z is pretty much fairly fully depreciated at 15-23k depending on miles/year. The key is finding a sport+touring+manuel model... which is a bit of a :unicorn: search. Both sport+Touring add very good features to an otherwise blandish car.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:01 pm Heloc on a brand new :waxer: house? :impressive:
20% down breh. have access to the equity breh.
brain go brrrrrr