Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:36 pm Are there any other issues with the truck? Sensor/check engine light/chronic burnt bulb? Any past accidents? Any aftermarket bs?
No
No.
Intake and toon.

I guess I'll just get a quality battery and monitor the situ.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote:Guise. Need some input. Replaced battery in Brahoe maybe 3 years ago with a "Bosch" from Pep Boys. Battery shits the bed in a year and a half. I kick myself for getting what is probably a rebranded chinese piece of garbage, but take the free replacement. Truck went from perfectly operational to full dead. Battery pronounced dead by the tester. Then last November cometh. We take the Truck to the Guadalupe Valley near Ensenada, doing some wine tasting. The roads there suck, hammering on the truck. Come out to fire up the Brahoe at a winery, again, battery totally dead. Cooked. I figure the jouncing around kocked a plate loose or something. Get a jump, drive to the Ensenada Vato Zone, get new battery. "Dura Last" or whatever shit they purvey.

This morning. Battery totally dead. Full crank yesterday, (granted the truck starts immediately on ignition) today nothing. No slow crank, none of the shit. Nothing. I go to the Desert Vato Zone, who, ironically, does not honor battery warranties from Mexico. :thankstrump:

So, I've been running shit batteries from Pep Boys and Vato Zone for years, and absolutely COOKING THROUGH THEM. I can't help but think it's the truck. I am going HAM tomorrow, buying the biggest, baddest Interstate battery I can and monitoring it with a battery tender......we shall see. Thoughts on this guys? If the truck is slowly killing these things, it may be time for my own ZR2. I will not abide an unreliable vehicle. FWIW, no other problems, truck runs as new @125K miles.
Skip the quality battery and go straight to :plac:
Colorados have epic deals right now. Ask :waxer:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The 2007 has a service bulletin to reprogram ecu for a battery drain problem. Not sure if thats relevant.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Known short in fuse box 3
ChrisoftheNorth

Doesn't sound like a battery drain problem. Those batteries are dying instantly, which is :notsure:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

If you have a DC amp - multimeter you can do a current draw measurement between the battery and battery lead, then pull fuses to identify;
1) excess draw with system off,
2) source of draw
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:Doesn't sound like a battery drain problem. Those batteries are dying instantly, which is intermittent short
:Dat:
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:10 pm
Detroit wrote:Doesn't sound like a battery drain problem. Those batteries are dying instantly, which is intermittent short
:Dat:
Very true. But that would be immensely hard to identify.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I guess I'll buy a bad ass battery, stay on top of it, and see what happens.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:10 pm :Dat:
Very true. But that would be immensely hard to identify.
Agreed!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Start eliminating the variables. It won't be the battery next time. Interstate AGM, 4 year full replacement warranty, $285. :micdrop:

Car taped and splitter off. It is now curing with two coats of Nigerian beading solution.

This is what the attachment points for the splitter are supposed to look like.

This is what they look like when you run the splitter onto a curb and rip out the fiberglass. What do you think guys? I'm considering replacing this attachment point with some silicone caulk? Or should I reattach the fiberglass? What airboat compound would best achieve this?

ChrisoftheNorth

:waxer: battery

Did the fiberglass come off with the clip for the splitter? If so, I'd probably just reattach it with some sort of epoxy that's somewhat flexible.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 pm Start eliminating the variables. It won't be the battery next time. Interstate AGM, 4 year full replacement warranty, $285. :micdrop:

Car taped and splitter off. It is now curing with two coats of Nigerian beading solution.

This is what they look like when you run the splitter onto a curb and rip out the fiberglass. What do you think guys? I'm considering replacing this attachment point with some silicone caulk? Or should I reattach the fiberglass? What airboat compound would best achieve this?

Wait :wtf: a $285 battery for a C7? That can't be right...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 pm Start eliminating the variables. It won't be the battery next time. Interstate AGM, 4 year full replacement warranty, $285. :micdrop:

Wait :wtf: a $285 battery for a C7? That can't be right...
wut Battery is for the truck. Note constant repeating failures above resulting in shooting a deer with an elephant gun.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:08 pm Guise. Need some input. Replaced battery in Brahoe maybe 3 years ago with a "Bosch" from Pep Boys. Battery shits the bed in a year and a half. I kick myself for getting what is probably a rebranded chinese piece of garbage, but take the free replacement. Truck went from perfectly operational to full dead. Battery pronounced dead by the tester. Then last November cometh. We take the Truck to the Guadalupe Valley near Ensenada, doing some wine tasting. The roads there suck, hammering on the truck. Come out to fire up the Brahoe at a winery, again, battery totally dead. Cooked. I figure the jouncing around kocked a plate loose or something. Get a jump, drive to the Ensenada Vato Zone, get new battery. "Dura Last" or whatever shit they purvey.

This morning. Battery totally dead. Full crank yesterday, (granted the truck starts immediately on ignition) today nothing. No slow crank, none of the shit. Nothing. I go to the Desert Vato Zone, who, ironically, does not honor battery warranties from Mexico. :thankstrump:

So, I've been running shit batteries from Pep Boys and Vato Zone for years, and absolutely COOKING THROUGH THEM. I can't help but think it's the truck. I am going HAM tomorrow, buying the biggest, baddest Interstate battery I can and monitoring it with a battery tender......we shall see. Thoughts on this guys? If the truck is slowly killing these things, it may be time for my own ZR2. I will not abide an unreliable vehicle. FWIW, no other problems, truck runs as new @125K miles.
Oh weird I totally missed this. $285 battery makes sense... :butwhy: not try costco or walmart? I have had good luck with both.And 1/2 the price.
ChrisoftheNorth

What's insane is that my :poorvette: has a WalMart battery thats...7 years old. I've deep cycled it a few times during my rebuild and tuning efforts, and it's starting to show it's age but it still works.

I'm going to replace it pre-emptively this Spring, but it's amazing how well that thing has done.

Costco sells Interstate. Solid batteries, but limited sizes. They don't sell one for my :poorvette: for example.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:29 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:08 pm Guise. Need some input. Replaced battery in Brahoe maybe 3 years ago with a "Bosch" from Pep Boys. Battery shits the bed in a year and a half. I kick myself for getting what is probably a rebranded chinese piece of garbage, but take the free replacement. Truck went from perfectly operational to full dead. Battery pronounced dead by the tester. Then last November cometh. We take the Truck to the Guadalupe Valley near Ensenada, doing some wine tasting. The roads there suck, hammering on the truck. Come out to fire up the Brahoe at a winery, again, battery totally dead. Cooked. I figure the jouncing around kocked a plate loose or something. Get a jump, drive to the Ensenada Vato Zone, get new battery. "Dura Last" or whatever shit they purvey.

Oh weird I totally missed this. $285 battery makes sense... :butwhy: not try costco or walmart? I have had good luck with both.And 1/2 the price.
Interstate store opened at 8. Tired of fucking around. Corvette still up on the lift needed a car that ran. I think an Interstate AGM battery would be in the deep $200s almost anywhere. I think the Mexico failure happened because of vibration so went the AGM route they are supposed to be better for that. Hence the 4 year warranty.
If a wound keeps getting opened long enough, you're going to apply a bigger band aid than you need because :rage:
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 pm What's insane is that my :poorvette: has a WalMart battery thats...7 years old. I've deep cycled it a few times during my rebuild and tuning efforts, and it's starting to show it's age but it still works.

I'm going to replace it pre-emptively this Spring, but it's amazing how well that thing has done.

Costco sells Interstate. Solid batteries, but limited sizes. They don't sell one for my :poorvette: for example.
That's why i went with EverMAXX or whatever at wallyworld
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:47 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:32 pm What's insane is that my :poorvette: has a WalMart battery thats...7 years old. I've deep cycled it a few times during my rebuild and tuning efforts, and it's starting to show it's age but it still works.

That's why i went with EverMAXX or whatever at wallyworld
Yep, that's what's in my :poorvette: It's been so great, I'd buy another one...but I hate going into Walmart.

I'll probably :waxer: on an Interstate. There's a main distributor by my house that does wholesale prices on them if you go to the warehouse.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote:Start eliminating the variables. It won't be the battery next time. Interstate AGM, 4 year full replacement warranty, $285. :micdrop:

Epoxy
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That silver looks amazing all glazed up. Plus the car is ridiculously clean and well cared for.... beautiful!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

These 7 year old Wal Mart batteries in Detroit weather cycles :triggered: the hell out of me.....and hey it might be the truck or it might be I just had a huge run of bad luck. Either way I have to start narrowing down the variables and this is the best battery that Interstate sells.

FWIW, the heat just annhiliates batteries. Wronald and his 7 year old Varta in his GTI? Mine lasted 2.5 years. But nothing like the run of bed shitting like I've had on the truck for the last three years.

Anyway, we'll see what happens.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:53 pm That silver looks amazing all glazed up. Plus the car is ridiculously clean and well cared for.... beautiful!
Thanks man that was just post polish/pre ceramic coating. It does look great now, not a scratch anywhere, a few (4ish) minor spots in the front bumper but the rest is perfect. 9.5/10. I'll snap some pics when I'm off the lift.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 pm These 7 year old Wal Mart batteries in Detroit weather cycles :triggered: the hell out of me.....and hey it might be the truck or it might be I just had a huge run of bad luck. Either way I have to start narrowing down the variables and this is the best battery that Interstate sells.

FWIW, the heat just annhiliates batteries. Wronald and his 7 year old Varta in his GTI? Mine lasted 2.5 years. But nothing like the run of bed shitting like I've had on the truck for the last three years.

It's probably heat.

Also, my battery has spent half its life on a tender and never working in temps below 32. It's probably near the ideal situation for a battery.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 pm These 7 year old Wal Mart batteries in Detroit weather cycles :triggered: the hell out of me.....and hey it might be the truck or it might be I just had a huge run of bad luck. Either way I have to start narrowing down the variables and this is the best battery that Interstate sells.

It's probably heat.

Also, my battery has spent half its life on a tender and never working in temps below 32. It's probably near the ideal situation for a battery.
I bought another Delrin battery tender for the truck. :triggered: Full HAM.