Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:56 pm Any updates on the Merc? New shocks in ? Windshield in ?

Here's your update. Yes the shocks and tires are on. It drives like a German Buick should. BUT

One of the lowbeams goes out. This car comes with Halogens....even thought they look identical to the Bi Xenon.

I order a set of upgrade halogen bulbs from Hella.....20 bucks. http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/ ... e-2-bulbs/

You can open the headlight unit from the rear to install the new bulb on both sides....But on the driver side you have to move the radiator overflow tank. I manage to snap off the fastener securing the overflow tank. :like: Then I start to work on the passenger side. HOLY. Fk. I simply could not get it done. I bruised the fk out of my right forearm, and just could not skin the cat, could not get the bulb to re-seat. In the process, because of the age and brittleness of the wires inside the unit, they crack....badly, exposing raw wire everywhere. I take it to my indy guy....he says, yeah, the bumper cover has to come off to replace the headlight units, I don't jack with bodywork, etc. etc.

So. This weekend the front bumper cover comes off. I ordered TWO entirely new factory Hella headlight units @$292 each (just to be safe, hopefully I only have to use one) and I'm going to deal with this fucking probem with some goddam access. !@#$!~@#%!%!%$@!mother!!%$!%!%!%!%fkr. This is why you buy a Hyundai, kids.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also, some guy rear ended me in the BMW this morning in the school drop off. Basically just license plate screws striking the bumper cover. I took it home and looked, fuck it one will buff out and touch up paint will solve the other, beats reporting it, dealing with a body shop. Older asian dude. Apologetic. Probably txting or some other idiot garbage.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 pm Also, some guy rear ended me in the BMW this morning in the school drop off. Basically just license plate screws striking the bumper cover. I took it home and looked, fuck it one will buff out and touch up paint will solve the other, beats reporting it, dealing with a body shop. Older asian dude. Apologetic. Probably txting or some other idiot garbage.
You should have asked for $300.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:56 pm Any updates on the Merc? New shocks in ? Windshield in ?

Here's your update. Yes the shocks and tires are on. It drives like a German Buick should. BUT

One of the lowbeams goes out. This car comes with Halogens....even thought they look identical to the Bi Xenon.

I order a set of upgrade halogen bulbs from Hella.....20 bucks. http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/ ... e-2-bulbs/

You can open the headlight unit from the rear to install the new bulb on both sides....But on the driver side you have to move the radiator overflow tank. I manage to snap off the fastener securing the overflow tank. :like: Then I start to work on the passenger side. HOLY. Fk. I simply could not get it done. I bruised the fk out of my right forearm, and just could not skin the cat, could not get the bulb to re-seat. In the process, because of the age and brittleness of the wires inside the unit, they crack....badly, exposing raw wire everywhere. I take it to my indy guy....he says, yeah, the bumper cover has to come off to replace the headlight units, I don't jack with bodywork, etc. etc.

So. This weekend the front bumper cover comes off. I ordered TWO entirely new factory Hella headlight units @$292 each (just to be safe, hopefully I only have to use one) and I'm going to deal with this fucking probem with some goddam access. !@#$!~@#%!%!%$@!mother!!%$!%!%!%!%fkr. This is why you buy a Hyundai, kids.
So why don't you take the bumper off? It is simple, it took about 15 min in the TDI. I had to do it to change the turn signals. You're treating this car in a peculiar way... $600 on headlights.... :wtf: broham. Do you just have money burning holes in your pocket?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:48 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:14 pm Also, some guy rear ended me in the BMW this morning in the school drop off. Basically just license plate screws striking the bumper cover. I took it home and looked, fuck it one will buff out and touch up paint will solve the other, beats reporting it, dealing with a body shop. Older asian dude. Apologetic. Probably txting or some other idiot garbage.
I got his insurance info. He didn't look like he had $300 on him.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:50 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:48 pm

I got his insurance info. He didn't look like he had $300 on him.
They all carry checkbooks, bro. You can get a shop estimate for $700 which is how much it costs to slather that brown paint on, then ask him to give you half in cash as a favor. Seems like a win win for everyone.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:07 pm

So why don't you take the bumper off? It is simple, it took about 15 min in the TDI. I had to do it to change the turn signals. You're treating this car in a peculiar way... $600 on headlights.... :wtf: broham. Do you just have money burning holes in your pocket?

:really:

I may send both the light units back....but that will require taping or rewiring the fkd up unit. I simply want all the stuff I need to get it done right when the cover is off. I looked up the cover removal, it's about 18 bolts, a 45 min job on the YouTubes. I understand you think I'm treating the car like fking McLaren, I just do shit right. I'm about as excited to turn a $10 light bulb into a $292 headlight unit as I am to get a barium enema.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:58 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:49 pm

I may send both the light units back....but that will require taping or rewiring the fkd up unit. I simply want all the stuff I need to get it done right when the cover is off. I looked up the cover removal, it's about 18 bolts, a 45 min job on the YouTubes. I understand you think I'm treating the car like fking McLaren, I just do shit right. I'm about as excited to turn a $10 light bulb into a $292 headlight unit as I am to get a barium enema.
Yea really, what is the big deal ? You spend 2 hrs waxing the car pointlessly, why not actually do some real work and fix a headlight so you can see at night. This isn't hard. You have a huge garage and tools.

And you are treating the car in a very peculiar manner 10 year old E class MB are throwaway cars, throwing $600 in headlights on it is literally :fullretard:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:45 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:58 pm

Yea really, what is the big deal ? You spend 2 hrs waxing the car pointlessly, why not actually do some real work and fix a headlight so you can see at night. This isn't hard. You have a huge garage and tools.

And you are treating the car in a very peculiar manner 10 year old E class MB are throwaway cars, throwing $600 in headlights on it is literally :fullretard:
Are you even reading what I am fking writing? I just told you I AM TAKING OFF THE FKING BUMPER AND FIXING THE FUCKING HEADLIGHT. THE WIRING INSIDE THE HEADLIGHT UNIT MAY BE IRREOVCABLY BORKED SO I ORDERED A FKING NEW ONE. I WANT TO SENT BOTH HEADLIGHT FKING UNITS BACK. MAYBE i WILL SEND ONE BACK. MAYBE NONE. I JUST WANT THE CORRECT PARTS SO I CAN DRIVE THE FKING CAR AT NIGHT. WHAT IS PECULIAR ABOUT HAVING HEADLIGHTS SO I CAN FKING DRIVE IN THE DARK?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

MAX, MY INDY GUY WON'T FUCK WITH BODYWORK. HE WON'T DO IT. I WILL HAVE TO DO IT. I AM GOING TO DO IT.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:50 pm MAX, MY INDY GUY WON'T FUCK WITH BODYWORK. HE WON'T DO IT. I WILL HAVE TO DO IT. I AM GOING TO DO IT.
Got it, somehow I got lost in the phrase "i don't jack with bodywork", as this isn't "bodywork" ! Post up the car with the bumper and headlights off, it always provides for a dramatic scene. Best of luck fixing it.

Come to think of it, the wiring is a bit concerning, as earlier MB (right before your gen) had biodegradable wiring harnesses that would literally disintegrate on the car within 5-8 years, totalling it. They supposedly fixed it later on.

Hope this isn't it. Wiring should not be brittle and falling apart at this point bizzare.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:50 pm MAX, MY INDY GUY WON'T FUCK WITH BODYWORK. HE WON'T DO IT. I WILL HAVE TO DO IT. I AM GOING TO DO IT.
Got it, somehow I got lost in the phrase "i don't jack with bodywork", as this isn't "bodywork" ! Post up the car with the bumper and headlights off, it always provides for a dramatic scene. Best of luck fixing it.

Come to think of it, the wiring is a bit concerning, as earlier MB (right before your gen) had biodegradable wiring harnesses that would literally disintegrate on the car within 5-8 years, totalling it. They supposedly fixed it later on.

Hope this isn't it. Wiring should not be brittle and falling apart at this point bizzare.
It is the two wires inside the headlight unit that connect the bulb to the unit. They would probably be intact if I had the hands of a dentist or a mechanic, but I think age, heat (the bulb) and my ham handedness all made for a $292 mistake. I will indeed take photos.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:02 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:55 pm

It is the two wires inside the headlight unit that connect the bulb to the unit. They would probably be intact if I had the hands of a dentist or a mechanic, but I think age, heat (the bulb) and my ham handedness all made for a $292 mistake. I will indeed take photos.
Check feebay also. I saw a few units for $100 or so

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-E-CLA ... rk:14:pf:0

This car is not deserving of a "new light". Just food for thought.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:02 pm

I think you will change your mind post pics this weekend. It is a seriously well preserved machine. You yourself have regretted buying chinese lights. I'm not even thinking about having the MB control module fail to interface with the Beijing specials.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:04 pm

I think you will change your mind post pics this weekend. It is a seriously well preserved machine. You yourself have regretted buying chinese lights. I'm not even thinking about having the MB control module fail to interface with the Beijing specials.
I am sure it is nice, but as you've poined out parts are stupid expensive. I thought I posted up a used unit.. not a rep. But yea. Strategy to see if a fix is possible first is the right one, then the :fullretard: light replacement.

Man that is some :rage: shit... $10 turns into a $600 headlight purchase a weekend shat away and a bumper on the ground.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I see that is used OEM. Fuck it, I ordered a new one, it comes with all new bulbs and non-brittle wires. My time is worth something, I'm not installing a gamble with all the effort of pulling and putting back on the bumper. It is NOT 5 minutes.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:11 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:09 pm

I am sure it is nice, but as you've poined out parts are stupid expensive. I thought I posted up a used unit.. not a rep. But yea. Strategy to see if a fix is possible first is the right one, then the :fullretard: light replacement.

Man that is some :rage: shit... $10 turns into a $600 headlight purchase a weekend shat away and a bumper on the ground.
I was :disappoint: but I got over it. Most likely scenario is that it is a $300 problem.....with easy access to the driver's side headlight I should be able to avoid borking the wires inside.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm I see that is used OEM. Fuck it, I ordered a new one, it comes with all new bulbs and non-brittle wires. My time is worth something, I'm not installing a gamble with all the effort of pulling and putting back on the bumper. It is NOT 5 minutes.
It is a fair point, but likely should do it in pairs unless the other side is brand new looking as well.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm I see that is used OEM. Fuck it, I ordered a new one, it comes with all new bulbs and non-brittle wires. My time is worth something, I'm not installing a gamble with all the effort of pulling and putting back on the bumper. It is NOT 5 minutes.
It is a fair point, but likely should do it in pairs unless the other side is brand new looking as well.
That's why I ordered both. The thing is, they are, IMHO, brand new looking. A lot of times the lights on the W210s and W211s are :disgust: but that's one of the things that drew me to the condition of the car and made me realize it was a garage queeen......new looking lights. We shall see.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:49 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:45 pm

Are you even reading what I am fking writing? I just told you I AM TAKING OFF THE FKING BUMPER AND FIXING THE FUCKING HEADLIGHT. THE WIRING INSIDE THE HEADLIGHT UNIT MAY BE IRREOVCABLY BORKED SO I ORDERED A FKING NEW ONE. I WANT TO SENT BOTH HEADLIGHT FKING UNITS BACK. MAYBE i WILL SEND ONE BACK. MAYBE NONE. I JUST WANT THE CORRECT PARTS SO I CAN DRIVE THE FKING CAR AT NIGHT. WHAT IS PECULIAR ABOUT HAVING HEADLIGHTS SO I CAN FKING DRIVE IN THE DARK?
Have you thought about taking off the bumper to see if you can fix the light?

Not sure if you have addressed this yet and it's not clear to me.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:40 pm

Step one is pulling the light to see what I can do. I ordered the new parts in the event that I can do nothing. What I can do is likely taping the exposed wiring. How does that rate on your 1/2 assed scale?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I just got this. :sad:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:06 pm

:trollface:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:lolgasm:
BUT WHAT SHOULD HE DO??
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:06 pm

:bruh: :really:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.