Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Damn, and I thought I didn't drive my :poorvette: much. 2.5k miles/year on average is downright abuse compared to 1.5k.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:32 am
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:27 am Also I HATE taking the BMW to our dealership. The service department "advisors" are complete morans.
:dat: but I mean what interactions do you have with them, outside of “perform the free annual service”.

Apparently you and I are the only fools that haven’t cracked the mystery code of SA seduction. They are your best friend at the dillershit you know?!
Good theory if you're walking to the back and talking to the SA MANAGEMENT at the counter, guys who know something about cars. Your average SA at BMW of Palm Springs is like, 25 yoa and can't have been on the job more than a few months, probably waited tables before. What kind of conversation are you going to have? Typical experience, walk in, grab a chair and wait for 10-15 min, then you get your SA. You go to his desk and the guy takes what seems to me to be forever inputting shit so you can get your effing oil changed? He already has me computer scheduled and knows what I need? Why are we taking so effing long? One time I waited while this kid just RAPED this gaybro retiree for maintenance tasks on his E46....the guy needed an indie bad. No loaners, so my gf is outside cooling her heels in the truck. First OC I did they didn't even reset the service interval, the most basic task. It's just not geared for car guys. I've got two more freebies and then good riddance, factory oil and filter is $80 in the mail, I just ordered the 32mm filter socket, DIY. I dropped $1500 on a Kwik Jack to let me do this stuff with a minimum of hassle.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am Damn, and I thought I didn't drive my :poorvette: much. 2.5k miles/year on average is downright abuse compared to 1.5k.
Its pathetic.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 am
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:32 am

:dat: but I mean what interactions do you have with them, outside of “perform the free annual service”.

Apparently you and I are the only fools that haven’t cracked the mystery code of SA seduction. They are your best friend at the dillershit you know?!
Good theory if you're walking to the back and talking to the SA MANAGEMENT at the counter, guys who know something about cars. Your average SA at BMW of Palm Springs is like, 25 yoa and can't have been on the job more than a few months, probably waited tables before. What kind of conversation are you going to have? Typical experience, walk in, grab a chair and wait for 10-15 min, then you get your SA. You go to his desk and the guy takes what seems to me to be forever inputting shit so you can get your effing oil changed? He already has me computer scheduled and knows what I need? Why are we taking so effing long? One time I waited while this kid just RAPED this gaybro retiree for maintenance tasks on his E46....the guy needed an indie bad. No loaners, so my gf is outside cooling her heels in the truck. First OC I did they didn't even reset the service interval, the most basic task. It's just not geared for car guys. I've got two more freebies and then good riddance, factory oil and filter is $80 in the mail, I just ordered the 32mm filter socket, DIY. I dropped $1500 on a Kwik Jack to let me do this stuff with a minimum of hassle.
$80 is not chump change. I haven't had too much trouble in terms of oil changes, had about 3 done at the stealershit. 2/3 times they didn't try to pull a fast one, the last time they tried to sell me a coolant job and injector cleaner at 20k miles, ... and $600
ChrisoftheNorth

I find it odd that BMW service is so rough. I guess they just sell the badge and don't care about the rest? I was always treated better by VW than how you guys describe the BMW experience.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:33 pm I find it odd that BMW service is so rough. I guess they just sell the badge and don't care about the rest? I was always treated better by VW than how you guys describe the BMW experience.
MB is the same way. They are just not set up for the volume here. They have so many cars coming in for service they simply don't have the loaners.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

FCA service has been decent so far. Two of my free oil changes/tire rotations and then brought it in for a recall notice. You're limited to free service at any set interval, just two free rotations and changes a year for the first two years, so they didn't care that I was only at 5k for the first one and 10k for the second. Didn't try to upsell me on anything, and the only complaint was that the first time they rotated my tires they didn't to a 5 wheel rotation like I'd asked, but when I pointed that out they put it right back on the lift and fixed it. Second time they got it right the first try.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:27 pm

$80 is not chump change. I haven't had too much trouble in terms of oil changes, had about 3 done at the stealershit. 2/3 times they didn't try to pull a fast one, the last time they tried to sell me a coolant job and injector cleaner at 20k miles, ... and $600
It is not, I need to find an acceptable solution to Magic BMW 0-20W
max225

SAWCE wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm FCA service has been decent so far. Two of my free oil changes/tire rotations and then brought it in for a recall notice. You're limited to free service at any set interval, just two free rotations and changes a year for the first two years, so they didn't care that I was only at 5k for the first one and 10k for the second. Didn't try to upsell me on anything, and the only complaint was that the first time they rotated my tires they didn't to a 5 wheel rotation like I'd asked, but when I pointed that out they put it right back on the lift and fixed it. Second time they got it right the first try.
FCA service out here is pretty much garbage.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:40 pm

My M3 calls for 5w20/30 :iono: Mobil 1 works, $25 jug at wallyworld.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:45 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:40 pm

My M3 calls for 5w20/30 :iono: Mobil 1 works, $25 jug at wallyworld.
I'll look closer at the :manuel: for approved oils.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:33 pm I find it odd that BMW service is so rough. I guess they just sell the badge and don't care about the rest? I was always treated better by VW than how you guys describe the BMW experience.
MB is the same way. They are just not set up for the volume here. They have so many cars coming in for service they simply don't have the loaners.
I have to admit I don't expect you to have a huge fleet of loaners for shit like oil changes. Significant repair? Yes.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:51 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:39 pm

I have to admit I don't expect you to have a huge fleet of loaners for shit like oil changes. Significant repair? Yes.
That's the MO. Here, no issues with loaners for overnight repairs, oil changes they call us an uber here now. Which is decent.
However in Detroit a retiree shows up at your house, drops off a car for you. and picks up your Chebby for oil changes. $29.99 oil change and somehow it makes sense for GM to spend $70+ in labor just getting to/from your place+oil/parts etc + loaner etc. The cost of that including overhead is $400 easy. :wtf:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:54 pm

That's the MO. Here, no issues with loaners for overnight repairs, oil changes they call us an uber here now. Which is decent.
However in Detroit a retiree shows up at your house, drops off a car for you. and picks up your Chebby for oil changes. $29.99 oil change and somehow it makes sense for GM to spend $70+ in labor just getting to/from your place+oil/parts etc + loaner etc. The cost of that including overhead is $400 easy. :wtf:
It's all part of the Detroit lifestyle. Nothing's lackin' when you are Cadillacn' through life.
ChrisoftheNorth

It's on the individual dealer to do that. It's quite a :unicorn: thing.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:34 pm

If they are in the business of making money, i don't see how they can sustain that or do that to every customer. Maybe you're on some special "GM Corp" list that unlocks these epic service/lease deals. :gaydance: Rolls Royce level of bespoke service on a Chevy Aveo is just :fullretard: there is not enough money in most GM products to provide that type of service to "everyone"
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:43 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:34 pm
If they are in the business of making money, i don't see how they can sustain that or do that to every customer. Maybe you're on some special "GM Corp" list that unlocks these epic service/lease deals. :gaydance: Rolls Royce level of bespoke service on a Chevy Aveo is just :fullretard: there is not enough money in most GM products to provide that type of service to "everyone"
No, they're just smart about it. When you need service, they schedule the day to come get the car so they can plan trips in the same geography. It's usually a week wait before they'll come get the car for service. It's all retirees that drive the cars, they're probably paid minimum wage just to have something to do during the day. They also won't do it with vehicles they didn't sell, and they're not really competitive on pricing. I bought the Volt from them because it was a former corp car and pricing is set. When I get lease quotes for :truk: they're always the highest. Because I'm :scrooge: I end up leasing my trucks from somewhere else, and that dealer won't do vehicle pickup. Though, they do have an under-1-hour promise on oil changes.

So you have to pay more for your vehicle up front to get the :unicorn: service. They do relatively strong volume, so it must work for them.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:49 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:43 pm

No, they're just smart about it. When you need service, they schedule the day to come get the car so they can plan trips in the same geography. It's usually a week wait before they'll come get the car for service. It's all retirees that drive the cars, they're probably paid minimum wage just to have something to do during the day. They also won't do it with vehicles they didn't sell, and they're not really competitive on pricing. I bought the Volt from them because it was a former corp car and pricing is set. When I get lease quotes for :truk: they're always the highest. Because I'm :scrooge: I end up leasing my trucks from somewhere else, and that dealer won't do vehicle pickup. Though, they do have an under-1-hour promise on oil changes.

So you have to pay more for your vehicle up front to get the :unicorn: service. They do relatively strong volume, so it must work for them.
Interesting, I thought you funneled everything through the saleshole lady, ever since the 1smp :dill: 's
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Interesting, I thought you funneled everything through the saleshole lady, ever since the 1smp :dill: 's
the 1SMP deal was a different dealer. I went back to that one to get my ZR2 as well.

The dealer I got the Volt from does the :unicorn: service, and I always get a quote from her, but the prices just aren't competitive. She points out the service, but I don't value it that much.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:wtf:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

wap wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:50 pm

"We recommend it if you care about your vehicle and want to keep it for a while" :yeahok:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:56 pm
wap wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:50 pm

"We recommend it if you care about your vehicle and want to keep it for a while" :yeahok:
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
:bs: :bs: :dillerman: :bs: :bs:
:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:00 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am Damn, and I thought I didn't drive my :poorvette: much. 2.5k miles/year on average is downright abuse compared to 1.5k.
Its pathetic.
So I mean... what are your thoughts on getting a :gorf: or something to replace it? May as well enjoy something every day rather than barely drive your fun car?

Out of curiosity, what makes you jump in the Tahoe every morning instead of the Richvette?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:52 pm

Man, I hadn't heard/read 1 SMP for a while and actually burst out laughing for some reason.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'm guessing the dash scorching sun