Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:36 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:21 pm
Whoa you drove across the boarder in that thing ... I’m scared to drive in Mexico ... too many horror stories
It's not like I was cruising around rural Sinaloa ....northern Baja/Ensenada area has a huge North American presence...you're just as likely to see a car with CA plates as Mexican. Totally redone highways/toll roads from Tijuana to Ensenada and the Tecate crossing through the Guadalupe Valley to Ensenada. G Valley is high end shit....very fancy restaurants/wineries/hotels. I feel safe in Baja in general.....just use your head, don't drive at night, and the phrase "nothing good happens after midnight" goes double in Mexico. The Tahoe is great for Mexico as it is a low profile vehicle owned by countless Mexicans, it's got ground clearance, and is generally 0FG.
I dunno man, I crossed over to Tijuana and it was a 3rd world country same with pretty much every other area I have visited.
Cozumel,
Cabo,
Cancun
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:42 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:36 pm

It's not like I was cruising around rural Sinaloa ....northern Baja/Ensenada area has a huge North American presence...you're just as likely to see a car with CA plates as Mexican. Totally redone highways/toll roads from Tijuana to Ensenada and the Tecate crossing through the Guadalupe Valley to Ensenada. G Valley is high end shit....very fancy restaurants/wineries/hotels. I feel safe in Baja in general.....just use your head, don't drive at night, and the phrase "nothing good happens after midnight" goes double in Mexico. The Tahoe is great for Mexico as it is a low profile vehicle owned by countless Mexicans, it's got ground clearance, and is generally 0FG.
I dunno man, I crossed over to Tijuana and it was a 3rd world country same with pretty much every other area I have visited.
Cozumel,
Cabo,
Cancun
I don't stop in Tijuana. And yes, Mexico is never going to be Oslo. Ensenada is a four hour drive. Great food, great wine, cheap, relaxing, San Diego weather.

I'm going to die of cancer far before I get kidnapped by Narcos.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

In4 Richvette Tijuana Lambo chronicles.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:34 am In4 Richvette Tijuana Lambo chronicles.
I would never drive a low vehicle anywhere in Mexico.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 pm

This is what they look like when you run the splitter onto a curb and rip out the fiberglass. What do you think guys? I'm considering replacing this attachment point with some silicone caulk? Or should I reattach the fiberglass? What airboat compound would best achieve this?

:lolgasm: you know my answer to this problem.

The magic airboat juice
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:17 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:58 pm

This is what they look like when you run the splitter onto a curb and rip out the fiberglass. What do you think guys? I'm considering replacing this attachment point with some silicone caulk? Or should I reattach the fiberglass? What airboat compound would best achieve this?

:lolgasm: you know my answer to this problem.

The magic airboat juice
JB Weld?
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I think JB weld would be too brittle for this application?

There's got to be a softer epoxy that would work.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:31 pm I think JB weld would be too brittle for this application?

For a front splitter? Meh, It's basically just a cage nut for a screw to hold it in. It's not load bearing or anything. As long as it's connected to the panel and doesn't want to move around much it should be fine. I'd gob it on the inside and putty knife any on the paint side to make it not show up. Or you could fiberglass patch the back of it and then sand it smooth. But then you'd have to avoid sanding the paint.

I did this when my front bumper cracked from bumping a plastic handwashing booth at an Autocross. I putty'd up the backside and wiped the front. The idea was that I didn't want the crack to expand so the JB weld was there to hold it together and not make it worse. Been a year of racing and it's still exactly the same. You barely see it unless you're looking for it.

Only pic I have of the crack. This was without the JB weld. I can get one with it later when I get home

For your situation, I'd plate it and JB that in. Lemme draw an example
Acid666

Red is the plate (could be fiberglass, piece of UHMW, plastic.. Anything solid). Purple is JB Weld. Just support it from behind and don't fuck with the paint. Unless you're a perfectionist and wanna go all out on it. For me, that's a cosmetic fix just to hold a piece of plastic. It's likely going to possibly hit again. I'd rather just patch it up and make it work like normal than really dissect it and think about getting a proper hole in there with matching paint and other shit. (not saying that's you, but that's SOME gold chainers' mentalities)

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:31 pm I think JB weld would be too brittle for this application?

I'm actually ok with just drilling new hole/using a toggle bolt. Nobody will see it, not even at the Hooter's meat up.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:50 pm

I'm actually ok with just drilling new hole/using a toggle bolt. Nobody will see it, not even at the Hooter's meat up.
Yeah, sure.

Very timely man, I just got done drilling a few extra holes and using toggle bolts and it worked 10/10. Splitter looks factory tight, you would indeed need that mirror to get me dq'd at Pebble Beach. I mean Hooters.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm Red is the plate (could be fiberglass, piece of UHMW, plastic.. Anything solid). Purple is JB Weld. Just support it from behind and don't fuck with the paint. Unless you're a perfectionist and wanna go all out on it. For me, that's a cosmetic fix just to hold a piece of plastic. It's likely going to possibly hit again. I'd rather just patch it up and make it work like normal than really dissect it and think about getting a proper hole in there with matching paint and other shit. (not saying that's you, but that's SOME gold chainers' mentalities)

Thanks Acid! Not a Ferrari. Not a vintage Ferrari. Nobody will ever see my horrible toggle bolts. It's all plastic dude.....the bumper, the splitter, most of the car!

I'm most certainly going to fack this thing up again......but when? I should start a pole.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:07 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:36 pm

Yeah, sure.

Very timely man, I just got done drilling a few extra holes and using toggle bolts and it worked 10/10. Splitter looks factory tight, you would indeed need that mirror to get me dq'd at Pebble Beach. I mean Hooters.
10/10 does not add up, you sure you didn't mean 5/7 or 10/14?
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:40 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:07 am

10/10 does not add up, you sure you didn't mean 5/7 or 10/14?
:dat:
:wtf:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Splitter installed, looks tight, happy with it.

Used two toggle bolts, connecting plastic to plastic with plastic seemed reasonable to me. Thanks Z man for the winning protip. The last one is next to the fubared original hole at the very crown of the splitter. DQ'd at Hooters Meats forever. Oh well.

The car does look tight AF with the full ceramic job and the new splitter, will probably pull the ramz to see what I can do about some interior discoloration as long as I am being this anal retentive.
Then, who knows, drive it?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:48 pm Splitter installed, looks tight, happy with it.

Used two toggle bolts, connecting plastic to plastic with plastic seemed reasonable to me. Thanks Z man for the winning protip. The last one is next to the fubared original hole at the very crown of the splitter. DQ'd at Hooters Meats forever. Oh well.

The car does look tight AF with the full ceramic job and the new splitter, will probably pull the ramz to see what I can do about some interior discoloration as long as I am being this anal retentive.
:wtf: car is that?

I know it's not a Corvette because I see a front plate attached.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:48 pm Splitter installed, looks tight, happy with it.

:wtf: car is that?

I know it's not a Corvette because I see a front plate attached.
Yes, the Waxer Mark of Cain. Came from NY that way, I can either have body work done or be lawful. I think I'll run into somebody or be back into before the former.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

C6 and BMW both had HVAC systems that smelled like dirty socks.
Bought big can of Ozium, new cabin filters.

Chevrolet Cabin Filter Change: Open Hood, pop three clips on filter door located on firewall. 30 seconds. Designed for old men.
BMW: Removed two nuts, pull off interior panel underneath glove box. Then take out two torx bolts securing filter cover, locate latch on back of cover with mirror. Future changes will be easier but figuring it out took some contorting. Designed for young men.

Tahoe in for a new water pump, aint got no time for that. 15 years and 125K on a water pump vs. 2 water pump failures in 30K miles and 2 years on a VW.

Advantage: Murica. :csb:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 5:18 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:54 pm C6 and BMW both had HVAC systems that smelled like dirty socks.

Chevrolet Cabin Filter Change: Open Hood, pop three clips on filter door located on firewall. 30 seconds. Designed for old men.
BMW: Removed two nuts, pull off interior panel underneath glove box. Then take out two torx bolts securing filter cover, locate latch on back of cover with mirror. Future changes will be easier but figuring it out took some contorting. Designed for young men.

Tahoe in for a new water pump, aint got no time for that. 15 years and 125K on a water pump vs. 2 water pump failures in 30K miles and 2 years on a VW.

Pro tip: Stop using recirculate 24/7, it'll help either eliminate the wet sock smell or minimize it.
What works for me is turning off the AC for the last 2± minutes of a drive and let the system just use the vent. Will dry the system and remove the odor. If it isn't hot as hell I run with the AC off the last 10 minutes of a drive and have not had issues since doing this.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Which desert are you in? We just heard about an opening in Glendale. I'm :notsure: about that whole area, never been.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Pro tip: Stop using recirculate 24/7, it'll help either eliminate the wet sock smell or minimize it.
What works for me is turning off the AC for the last 2± minutes of a drive and let the system just use the vent. Will dry the system and remove the odor. If it isn't hot as hell I run with the AC off the last 10 minutes of a drive and have not had issues since doing this.
This^^^^ is how you keep the smell out of your HVAC. Bump fan speed up a notch and let it dry out.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 1:54 pm C6 and BMW both had HVAC systems that smelled like dirty socks.

:dat: x100

I got the wife trained to actually turn compressor off when coming home. Let blow for a min or so. Then turn car off.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Um... you worked on a brand new car? Dat free maintenance :doe:

I haven't had a single issue with my BMWs when it comes to HVAC. In fact they have been quite nice to use and pretty damn cold. However somehow the M3 is much warmer inside than the 335i even though both are tinted all around. I am assuming it is the carboner roof somehow.

I also turn off AC for 30 seconds to 1 min before turning off the car.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 2:18 pm

Um... you worked on a brand new car? Dat free maintenance :doe:

I haven't had a single issue with my BMWs when it comes to HVAC. In fact they have been quite nice to use and pretty damn cold. However somehow the M3 is much warmer inside than the 335i even though both are tinted all around. I am assuming it is the carboner roof somehow.

I also turn off AC for 30 seconds to 1 min before turning off the car.
I cannot begin to tell you how incompetent and painful our dealer service guys are. I asked them to do it at the oil change but it's not due for a cabin filter yet bro, etc.