Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

wap wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:59 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:36 pm Price out private healthcare. Not relevant to our civilized neighbors to the North, but it's a yuuuge reason to be an employee in this country. Add in 401k stuff, PTO, etc. and it's amazing that anyone bothers starting their own businesses here.
:dat:
:dat: x100

I often talk about how silly it is being that main reason for taking a job. It sometimes is more important than the salary part.

Luckily I can provide all that with corp gig and the wife unit gets to play entrepreneur. If we both were small business owners, simple things like loans would be immensely more difficult. We could have an 800 credit score but never benefit from it. Self-employed woes.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:27 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:26 am

:popcorn:
Should be lots of jobs in Houston area. I know of a few up here for reliability engineers. One in Toledo Ohio. Etc.
he wont move to houston.

he is "house-stuck" for now. re: :fax: :rage: :haus: is :derp: arguement rehash x100.

he is always looking in the TN/NC area. Just can't really :nope: out now after his mini :waxer: Guillot Groto :haus:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:06 am
max225 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:29 pm What's a corporate "gravy train" :lolgasm:
:dat:

I mean, I will acknowledge the healthcare is nice... my 401K isn't that special, getting a 3% match. Not insignificant but not life changing either. I am one of the few that will say/admit I'm compensated pretty well/probably more than I really deserve at my job... but it definitely blows day after day after day, corp life is not fun. Also, in my case "gravy train" = literally zero raises unless I make them myself with commission. Outside circumstances like dumb ass Trump's tariffs can basically punt my income to shit at any time.
vs. being self employed, corporate lyfe is pretty easy. Cheap healthcare SOME retirement help, don't have to try as hard to keep money rolling in, etc.

It's definitely a drag, but grass is always greener.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:20 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:16 am I should post this in career chat..but...

Im very discouraged by my working life lately. My career blows, im making 20% under market by some measures, my job is a pretty dumb thing that I'm laughably overtrained for.

:(
You're a design engineer for a consulting type firm right? Can you get a job inside a refinery? You'll almost certainly get paid more and be doing the same stuff.

Designing process piping and vessels is a pretty specialized field. You should be able to find a job in the energy industry. Switch companies and you're almost guaranteed a 15% raise right off the bat.

You want to stay in the swamp or willing to move?
Heard that. Fuck houston. Willing to move... to East TN/ West NC and maybe north GA.

I think my move right now is to start applying for anything with the word 'engineer' in it in and around the greater Chattanooga area for the next couple years and If nothing pans out jump companies locally as you suggest.

I'd rather not work in plant, but it's also not something I will rule out.
brain go brrrrrr
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:16 am I should post this in career chat..but...

Im very discouraged by my working life lately. My career blows, im making 20% under market by some measures, my job is a pretty dumb thing that I'm laughably overtrained for.

You're a design engineer for a consulting type firm right? Can you get a job inside a refinery? You'll almost certainly get paid more and be doing the same stuff.

Designing process piping and vessels is a pretty specialized field. You should be able to find a job in the energy industry. Switch companies and you're almost guaranteed a 15% raise right off the bat.

I found the job he needs.

https://careers.koenigsegg.com/job/mech ... -engineer/
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Breh's :bread: is the new OT Career Chat.

:dealwithit:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

dubshow wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:30 am

he is "house-stuck" for now. re: :fax: :rage: :haus: is :derp: arguement rehash x100.
I really should change my bank password since dub knows my finances so well.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:32 am

Heard that. Fuck houston. Willing to move... to East TN/ West NC and maybe north GA.

I think my move right now is to start applying for anything with the word 'engineer' in it in and around the greater Chattanooga area for the next couple years and If nothing pans out jump companies locally as you suggest.

:notbad:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

dubshow wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:32 am

I found the job he needs.

https://careers.koenigsegg.com/job/mech ... -engineer/
:notbad:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:35 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:30 am

that has nothing to do with you bank or your income. :wtf:

You just built a new house at a premium. That is not a liquid thing. You are stuck there for a few years unless you commit financial suicide. these are :fax:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Agree re: fuck Houston.
Could always change locally now, and keep applying to stuff in your dream location later. Should help with the :sad: feels.
Could also work for a pipeline company. Logistics rake in the dough and the jobs are easy. Dig up pipeline, inspect, repair, bury.
ChrisoftheNorth

dubshow wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:44 am

You just built a new house at a premium. That is not a liquid thing. You are stuck there for a few years unless you commit financial suicide. these are :fax:
Not necessarily...if the area is particularly hot and not being developed any further.

Not to mention, I think it's one of the neater homes I've seen photos of in greater swamplandia
Johnny_P

Wouldn't be total financial suicide. A little tight for a couple years but do able. I'd do it.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

:wrong:

Potential new job might include relocation

We can always rent if selling goes poorly

there are options besides no, financial ruin, and :wrong:
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:45 am

Could always change locally now, and keep applying to stuff in your dream location later. Should help with the :sad: feels.
Could also work for a pipeline company. Logistics rake in the dough and the jobs are easy. Dig up pipeline, inspect, repair, bury.
This is true. I have had a conversion with a former colleague and they were actively looking for people and I could start with a near 20% raise more than likely.
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:51 am

This is true. I have had a conversion with a former colleague and they were actively looking for people and I could start with a near 20% raise more than likely.
Um...why not make that move?
Johnny_P

I mean why not? That sounds like a good move.

Also, look into Kinder Morgan, they have a lot of openings in LA but also some in the area you're looking for...
https://careers.peopleclick.com/careers ... Code=en-us
Johnny_P

That engineering project manager position looks like cake.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:54 am

well, aside from the obvious 'well of course I should'

we are about to enter a downturn and being the new guy will suck
said company was just spun off from one big corp to another so they are in flux internally at the moment
Why not take the opportunity to relocate?
brain go brrrrrr
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:59 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:54 am

said company was just spun off from one big corp to another so they are in flux internally at the moment
Because you're losing money. If the end goal is to relocate, that could take some time. Take the higher paying job in the interim, bank that money, and then move when the opportunity presents itself. Since you want to move anyway, the fear of layoff or whatever is meh IMO.

Hell, I just changed companies before massive merger talks started. I could get royally screwed, but the money is good. I'm skimming a little more off the top into the emergency fund, so if I get let go it'll be ok.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:06 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:59 am

Because you're losing money. If the end goal is to relocate, that could take some time. Take the higher paying job in the interim, bank that money, and then move when the opportunity presents itself. Since you want to move anyway, the fear of layoff or whatever is meh IMO.

Hell, I just changed companies before massive merger talks started. I could get royally screwed, but the money is good. I'm skimming a little more off the top into the emergency fund, so if I get let go it'll be ok.
:notwrong:
brain go brrrrrr
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:27 am
dubshow wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:26 am

:popcorn:
Should be lots of jobs in Houston area. I know of a few up here for reliability engineers. One in Toledo Ohio. Etc.
Houston is awful and would have twice the COL of the swamp.

Other ideas for the fax are good though. If you want to move, make it happen.

I would still love to go to Los Angeles but it is hard to up and move. Lots of jobs in Charlotte and it’s only about 90 minutes to the mountains.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Nonsense. Desert Garage is the workingman's pub. Lot of engineering jobs in oil country doe, yes?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 pm

Nonsense. Desert Garage is the workingman's pub. Lot of engineering jobs in oil country doe, yes?
5/7 would pub it up in Desert Garage.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:15 pm

yea but I want to eject out of LA i think. :nope:
brain go brrrrrr