Strut your greasy stuff!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 pm
wap wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:56 pm

Interesting.
Cool but I just spent $400 on batteries.
Yea that part's not so cool.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:12 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 pm

Cool but I just spent $400 on batteries.
This is the pay to play of buying a $52K MSRP car for $6750.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:13 pm
wap wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:12 pm

This is the pay to play of buying a $52K MSRP car for $6750.
:mahman:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

OK guys. The Tahoe rear hatch has two parts, the entire liftgate and the window is on its own pressurized pistons as well. Both are attatched to a common hinge. The glass has its half of the hinge attached by some sort of bonding wizardry which is destined for failure. 18 years later, it failed and started separating from the glass. Probably took 18 years because I NEVER open just the glass hatch.

Anyway, I take it to the body shop who repaired carmageddon, my wife backing the Tahoe into the MBZ.....and these guys did amazing work. But they quote me $1450 to replace the hatch, $883 for the factory glass, and another 82 bucks for replacement hinge parts 3.8 HOURS of labor (guys says there is usally damage) , "pre and post repair scans"............and half an hour of labor to "disconnect the battery".............this is a different estimator from the dude who did my body work.

Almost 1500 bucks to fix a piece of glass on an $8000 truck? This made me :sad: I took it to Safelite they put in a Chinese hatch that looks just fine for $511, lifetime warranty. Installed in 45 minutes. I noted that the installer was not electrocuted. The exterior handle is of lesser heft than the original, but only I will ever notice that. Also when I bought the truck 9 years ago, one of the defroster prongs on the window was broken off, common problem. I now have a rear defroster, despite never having needed one in my ownershit.

That is storytime on "this old truck."
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

It's pretty common for parts bonded to glass to fail over time. This happened on my 951, and it SUCKED. I fixed it myself, and it tuned out OK, but everywhere I took it told me it was either impossible to fix or would cost more than the car was worth.

Body shops are the worst because they've become accustomed to overcharging for every single little thing because insurance is usually footing the bill. Half an hour of labor to disconnect the battery, that's just egregious.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:40 pm It's pretty common for parts bonded to glass to fail over time. This happened on my 951, and it SUCKED. I fixed it myself, and it tuned out OK, but everywhere I took it told me it was either impossible to fix or would cost more than the car was worth.

Body shops are the worst because they've become accustomed to overcharging for every single little thing because insurance is usually footing the bill. Half an hour of labor to disconnect the battery, that's just egregious.
Ridiculous. Safelite rules the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:40 pm It's pretty common for parts bonded to glass to fail over time. This happened on my 951, and it SUCKED. I fixed it myself, and it tuned out OK, but everywhere I took it told me it was either impossible to fix or would cost more than the car was worth.

Ridiculous. Safelite rules the earth.
They do, but local glass shops tend to be cheaper.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

So were the struts attached to bonded pieces on the 944 hatch?
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 pm

Worse.

The hatch glass is bonded to a metal frame that surrounds it. The metal frame is attached at the top with hinges, then the gas struts attach to the side of the frame. When you replace the gas struts after they fail (like they tend to do and I had to do on mine), the new stronger struts pull on the frame at the sides and tweak the top where it meets the hinges. The old sealant used on the glass then gives way and the glass separates from the frame along the top at the hinges, and becomes a source for major water leaks. The water then runs down inside the car and ruins things like the sunroof mechanism (which also happened on my car). It's a pretty well known issue, which Porsche recommends replacing the entire glass/frame/hatch assembly that they actually still produced when I had the car 10 years ago. It was a $2,500 part IIRC. Half of what I paid for the damned car.

The only way to fix it is to separate the glass from the frame, straighten out the frame, then re-seal the glass to the frame. This is what I did in my third floor apartment in Irvine. Carrying the hatch up by myself wasn't fun, but I wanted to work on carpet. I had the car for a year after and it didn't leak at all.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:56 pm

Worse.

The hatch glass is bonded to a metal frame that surrounds it. The metal frame is attached at the top with hinges, then the gas struts attach to the side of the frame. When you replace the gas struts after they fail (like they tend to do and I had to do on mine), the new stronger struts pull on the frame at the sides and tweak the top where it meets the hinges. The old sealant used on the glass then gives way and the glass separates from the frame along the top at the hinges, and becomes a source for major water leaks. The water then runs down inside the car and ruins things like the sunroof mechanism (which also happened on my car). It's a pretty well known issue, which Porsche recommends replacing the entire glass/frame/hatch assembly that they actually still produced when I had the car 10 years ago. It was a $2,500 part IIRC. Half of what I paid for the damned car.

The only way to fix it is to separate the glass from the frame, straighten out the frame, then re-seal the glass to the frame. This is what I did in my third floor apartment in Irvine. Carrying the hatch up by myself wasn't fun, but I wanted to work on carpet. I had the car for a year after and it didn't leak at all.
I think one of the lessons here is if you have an old car, don't cheap out and get ZOMG 5000 psi chinese struts that start out all balls strong, spend the money on factory struts to avoid :fuckshitup:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:26 pm OK guys. The Tahoe rear hatch has two parts, the entire liftgate and the window is on its own pressurized pistons as well. Both are attatched to a common hinge. The glass has its half of the hinge attached by some sort of bonding wizardry which is destined for failure. 18 years later, it failed and started separating from the glass. Probably took 18 years because I NEVER open just the glass hatch.

Anyway, I take it to the body shop who repaired carmageddon, my wife backing the Tahoe into the MBZ.....and these guys did amazing work. But they quote me $1450 to replace the hatch, $883 for the factory glass, and another 82 bucks for replacement hinge parts 3.8 HOURS of labor (guys says there is usally damage) , "pre and post repair scans"............and half an hour of labor to "disconnect the battery".............this is a different estimator from the dude who did my body work.

Almost 1500 bucks to fix a piece of glass on an $8000 truck? This made me :sad: I took it to Safelite they put in a Chinese hatch that looks just fine for $511, lifetime warranty. Installed in 45 minutes. I noted that the installer was not electrocuted. The exterior handle is of lesser heft than the original, but only I will ever notice that. Also when I bought the truck 9 years ago, one of the defroster prongs on the window was broken off, common problem. I now have a rear defroster, despite never having needed one in my ownershit.

Dumb question of the day ? You couldn't get a new rear glass for $50 from pick and pull or the likes?

Wait so what is the issue ? Did safelite fix the hinge ? or are you letting :jesus: take the wheel.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:14 pm
Worse.

I think one of the lessons here is if you have an old car, don't cheap out and get ZOMG 5000 psi chinese struts that start out all balls strong, spend the money on factory struts to avoid :fuckshitup:
I bought the only ones Pelican Parts sold...they were "OE Quality" IIRC. Despite being a cheapass, I wasn't intentionally cheap with that car. I wanted to keep it for a while.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:20 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:26 pm OK guys. The Tahoe rear hatch has two parts, the entire liftgate and the window is on its own pressurized pistons as well. Both are attatched to a common hinge. The glass has its half of the hinge attached by some sort of bonding wizardry which is destined for failure. 18 years later, it failed and started separating from the glass. Probably took 18 years because I NEVER open just the glass hatch.

Dumb question of the day ? You couldn't get a new rear glass for $50 from pick and pull or the likes? Hatch glass on ebay averaged about $250. I'm not really up for going to a desert pick and pull with hatches rotting under the blazing heat all day............and therein lies the answer to your question. The hatch design is a bit of a design flaw and I'm not paying a couple of hundred for another hinge that is going to separate in 3 months.

Wait so what is the issue ? Did safelite fix the hinge ? or are you letting :jesus: take the wheel.
Safelite put in a completely new glass hatch with the integrated hinges with a lifetime warranty, for 5 hundo. In 45 mintues.

Answer to your pick and pull is above in the "gray area"
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:26 pm
Dumb question of the day ? You couldn't get a new rear glass for $50 from pick and pull or the likes? Hatch glass on ebay averaged about $250. I'm not really up for going to a desert pick and pull with hatches rotting under the blazing heat all day............and therein lies the answer to your question. The hatch design is a bit of a design flaw and I'm not paying a couple of hundred for another hinge that is going to separate in 3 months.

Safelite put in a completely new glass hatch with the integrated hinges with a lifetime warranty, for 5 hundo. In 45 mintues.

Body shop wanted $1500? :amazing: but expected. Those guys are modern day snake oil salesmen.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:30 pm

Body shop wanted $1500? :amazing: but expected. Those guys are modern day snake oil salesmen.
I took it to the same guys who fixed my MBZ and Tahbro body work and I thought they did great work for frankly fair prices. I didn't expect to get such a hoser estimate.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

more pics of all the cars?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Nice outcome. I have run into surprisingly few things like this in 18 year old GM ownership. The Tahoe seems equally solid overall.

Safelight rules, they replaced the Bang Bus windshield for around $500 while I sat in my hotel room eating Indian Food.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

OK guys, in :tits: news, discussion of the soundbar/sub ran into heavy resistance, but interestingly what has NOT run into resistance is the addition of auxilary lighting on the Brahoe. I am told to get some light up there, cost NFG. The Z71 comes with powder coated tubular black steps so I thought I would get something like this....

https://www.amazon.com/ARIES-B35-4001-3 ... olet+Tahoe

Then purchase an led light bar for it and wire it up. So, offroad doods, what is the finest LED light bar manufacturer out there?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Rigid Industries
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:42 pm I like the blacked out models.

https://www.rigidindustries.com/midnigh ... eries.html

I was just looking at the Rigid site. I assume quality costs $$$ because these things are NOT cheap.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:44 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:42 pm I like the blacked out models.

https://www.rigidindustries.com/midnigh ... eries.html

I was just looking at the Rigid site. I assume quality costs $$$ because these things are NOT cheap.
A big part of the cost is dust and water resistance. Rigid may not win every "test" or comparison but they're always at the top. Accessories like this are one of those things where you ask yourself if you want to cry once and get the nice product, or try to save money and cry a second time when you need to buy another one.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:50 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:44 pm

A big part of the cost is dust and water resistance. Rigid may not win every "test" or comparison but they're always at the top. Accessories like this are one of those things where you ask yourself if you want to cry once and get the nice product, or try to save money and cry a second time when you need to buy another one.
Understood. I'm a cry once man.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

:excited: for the build.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:01 pm :excited: for the build.
That whole simulator they have showing the difference between the various types of lights you can order is :amazing: I'm vascillating between spot/driving combo and just driving. I think just driving.