Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:11 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:56 pm I believe C8 orders are sold out through next year as well.

911 and done
I have other things on my mind today. We're putting down our second (and last) dog in about 2 hours, about 10 months after the last one. My dishwasher, which I thought I fixed with a new gasket (didn't leak for a month) pissed all over my kitchen floor this morning I almost killed myself slipping in the water. My CLOTHES washer is starting to throw an "F21" code signaling some sort of drainage problem. Both of these items work well and are very nice but they are also 10+ years old and I tend to kill problems with fire at that point. Motherfucker, what is next?
Shit man, sorry to hear it. :pouroneout: for the :doge:

Thoughts are with you guys today, it sucks to lose a pet.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:57 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:11 pm

I have other things on my mind today. We're putting down our second (and last) dog in about 2 hours, about 10 months after the last one. My dishwasher, which I thought I fixed with a new gasket (didn't leak for a month) pissed all over my kitchen floor this morning I almost killed myself slipping in the water. My CLOTHES washer is starting to throw an "F21" code signaling some sort of drainage problem. Both of these items work well and are very nice but they are also 10+ years old and I tend to kill problems with fire at that point. Motherfucker, what is next?

Yeah the landscape around this joint is changing pretty quickly in 10 months we've gone from 2 dogs to zero, and in 3 months my daughter ships out. Apparently I hate freedom because none of this makes me happy.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:57 pm

Yeah the landscape around this joint is changing pretty quickly in 10 months we've gone from 2 dogs to zero, and in 3 months my daughter ships out. Apparently I hate freedom because none of this makes me happy.
Don’t be a cuck. You’ll enjoy it soon enough. No need to have 3 creatures depending you 24/7.
More time in CC, more time at the gym, more time out with the wife doing fun things not worrying about who will chew up the McIntosh at home
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:24 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:48 pm

Don’t be a cuck. You’ll enjoy it soon enough. No need to have 3 creatures depending you 24/7.
More time in CC, more time at the gym, more time out with the wife doing fun things not worrying about who will chew up the McIntosh at home
:amazing:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Ok. SHIFT has made an offer of $34,100 for the BMW contingent on inspection. I will have it inspected for :science:

New Tahoe should arrive in 10 days. Old one should be rehabbed and placed in MX in 2 months or so. I'm not getting rid of my E350, ever, unless my kid takes it.

That leaves 3 possibilities, as I far as I can tell, since I want a car with four doors and a donkey dick shifter. In descending order of fiscal responsiblity, the three contenders are:

1. Golf R in lapiz blue and new seppuku touch switches. $45K Nobody has one to try as far as I can tell. I know the knob thing but this car is still fun AF to drive and the cheapest on the list.
2. CT4V Blackwing prolly $70K. Weird option packages on this car increase the price rapidly. There are people offering this car at MSRP.
3. CT5V Blackwing special ordered @94K. My local Cadillac dealer is a bit of a cock so I may have to go out of town.

Going to go sit in a CT4 and CT5 BW to get the lay of the land.

Toyota GR does not yet exist, Velobster N is too small and not cool enough for me. CTR is too juvenile for me though I might test one.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I guess I should include the M3. I should probably go test one. It just seems :flaccid: because I'm getting rid of a turbo 6 Bimmer to get another one?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:14 pm Ok. SHIFT has made an offer of $34,100 for the BMW contingent on inspection. I will have it inspected for :science:

New Tahoe should arrive in 10 days. Old one should be rehabbed and placed in MX in 2 months or so. I'm not getting rid of my E350, ever, unless my kid takes it.

That leaves 3 possibilities, as I far as I can tell, since I want a car with four doors and a donkey dick shifter. In descending order of fiscal responsiblity, the three contenders are:

1. Golf R in lapiz blue and new seppuku touch switches. $45K Nobody has one to try as far as I can tell. I know the knob thing but this car is still fun AF to drive and the cheapest on the list.
2. CT4V Blackwing prolly $70K. Weird option packages on this car increase the price rapidly. There are people offering this car at MSRP.
3. CT5V Blackwing special ordered @94K. My local Cadillac dealer is a bit of a cock so I may have to go out of town.

Toyota GR does not yet exist, Velobster N is too small and not cool enough for me. CTR is too juvenile for me though I might test one.
Drive everything you can. You might find something that surprises you.

Also, BRZ should be driveable, they've landed at dealers before the GR86.
2 Door low slung sports cars receive minimal spousal support although for that price :whocares:
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:18 pm I guess I should include the M3. I should probably go test one. It just seems :flaccid: because I'm getting rid of a turbo 6 Bimmer to get another one?
Except drive an M3 first. There is a reason I call the lesser models fake sport. The F80 reminded me of the Gt3 I drove. The F30 reminds me of a Camry :notsure: about new one since it got fat and they defeatured it compared to the F80. But the F80 is different enough from a F30 to have its own chassis code.

Also golf R seems like the logical choice here. A bit of :plac: but it just makes more sense than a 100k + post tax caddy to take to hooters.

The R is also disposable where you can dd it and not worry too much about fucking it up. As opposed to the other choices which take 2 years of the retirement fund.
Last edited by max225 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:43 pm M2C should be on the must drive list if you’re going to take a trip to Bavaria.
Love the car but 2 series is not chick approved from an interior size standpoint.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:41 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:18 pm I guess I should include the M3. I should probably go test one. It just seems :flaccid: because I'm getting rid of a turbo 6 Bimmer to get another one?
Except drive an M3 first. There is a reason I call the lesser models fake sport. The F80 reminded me of the Gt3 I drove. The F30 reminds me of a Camry :notsure: about new one since it got fat and they defeatured it compared to the F80. But the F80 is different enough from a F30 to have its own chassis code.

Also golf R seems like the logical choice here. A bit of :plac: but it just makes more sense than a 100k + post tax caddy to take to hooters.

The R is also disposable where you can dd it and not worry too much about fucking it up. As opposed to the other choices which take 2 years of the retirement fund.
No volume knob and all, it is the easiest choice.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:58 pm
max225 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:41 pm

No volume knob and all, it is the easiest choice.
The real question is can you get one at sticker ? They had Mark ups here 3 years ago… pre plandemic fun … wouldn’t be surprised if they slap a 15-20k “adjustment” plus low Jack etc
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:14 pm Ok. SHIFT has made an offer of $34,100 for the BMW contingent on inspection. I will have it inspected for :science:

:excited:

Are you set on a brand new car? Seems like an SS may be worth a drive as well, although pretty meh styling. Outgoing M2 has a pretty usable backseat as well, I would choose that over anything else here, but if it's boycotted, it's boycotted; there are plenty of other great choices.

If you can wait a while, the new Integra and Type R both seem pretty compelling. I think the Honda R will be better than the VW R, taking styling out of the equation, it certainly was way better in the last gen, even only being FWD.

I think M3 is worth a drive as well. A turbo I6 to a turbo I 6 is better than a turbo I6 to a turbo 4 :lolol: After taking my current BMW on track, I do think the chassis is very, very good and kind of underrated. There are a lot of dumb things neutering the Fake Sports, M3 is still pretty epic.

The new Golf R seems to be faster and better to drive than ever. I think you just need to try out the infotainment and see if it's something you care about and can live with. The reviews make it sound like something as simple as changing fan speed or volume is near impossible while moving, which is a :nope: , but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's exaggerated. Everything else about the car seems good.

The 'lacs are dope, no question. It just comes down to whether or not you would be polishing the thing with a diaper or driving it, only you can decide. I would personally struggle to do the stuff I enjoy doing with cars in something with a six figure price tag, particularly when it's pretty much known to be an 'investment car' or sorts. On the flip side, even if you get rock chips and door dings on the CT5, it likely won't depreciate a dime.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:06 pm

Are you set on a brand new car? Seems like an SS may be worth a drive as well, although pretty meh styling. Outgoing M2 has a pretty usable backseat as well, I would choose that over anything else here, but if it's boycotted, it's boycotted; there are plenty of other great choices.

If you can wait a while, the new Integra and Type R both seem pretty compelling. I think the Honda R will be better than the VW R, taking styling out of the equation, it certainly was way better in the last gen, even only being FWD.

I think M3 is worth a drive as well. A turbo I6 to a turbo I 6 is better than a turbo I6 to a turbo 4 :lolol: After taking my current BMW on track, I do think the chassis is very, very good and kind of underrated. There are a lot of dumb things neutering the Fake Sports, M3 is still pretty epic.

The new Golf R seems to be faster and better to drive than ever. I think you just need to try out the infotainment and see if it's something you care about and can live with. The reviews make it sound like something as simple as changing fan speed or volume is near impossible while moving, which is a :nope: , but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's exaggerated. Everything else about the car seems good.

The 'lacs are dope, no question. It just comes down to whether or not you would be polishing the thing with a diaper or driving it, only you can decide. I would personally struggle to do the stuff I enjoy doing with cars in something with a six figure price tag, particularly when it's pretty much known to be an 'investment car' or sorts. On the flip side, even if you get rock chips and door dings on the CT5, it likely won't depreciate a dime.
Yeah, the only reason I would be unloading a well kept BMW with 37K miles on it would be to exploit the current delta between insane used car offers and MSRP pricing on new ones. I still might say fuck it and get a hobby or something. I vascillate 4 times a day.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:23 pm

Yeah, the only reason I would be unloading a well kept BMW with 37K miles on it would be to exploit the current delta between insane used car offers and MSRP pricing on new ones. I still might say fuck it and get a hobby or something. I vascillate 4 times a day.
I mean the BMW lost just about 1/2 of it's "value" already. It will likely bottom out around 15-20k in about 2-3 years and +15k miles. That looks to be just about the cheapest way to be in a BMW at the moment with not much relief in sight. Getting a new luxo barge at sticker will cost as much in taxes as the bmw will lose in depreciation.

That said. I would expect the BMW to start having issues post year 6/7. So Figure that into your dumping calc.

Then again... If you don't use the car, why not light it on fire. Any car is just an immense financial liability, especially considering you have GM Titanic incomming in the next few weeks during $5 a gallon gas.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I hear you. Your kid is at college sans the E class, correct? You can daily that for a while if needed? I just don't really think you will actually be able to stroll over to your local VW :dillerman: and buy a Golf R at MSRP any time in the near future. I would think the CT5 BW would be similar, CT4 may be doable.

This doesn't really scream Desertbreh to me, but it seems you can get an outgoing STI at sticker now and those are really cool/timeless/fun. Couldn't really blame someone for not liking the image/style/juvenile nature of them though.
max225

@Eric. Can you shoot some emails over to VW. I am legit curious if you can come to a R at sticker. I would think not... they are marking up GTIs around here.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I think the smartest way forward in this case is to off the BMW and drive the MB in the interim as the market settles. Even if you buy something you could today, you'll have better opportunity to drive more stuff to make a more educated decision in the future.

Also, since Golf R is on the list, GR Corolla should be as well. Toyota doesn't usually wait long after reveal of a vehicle to start sales, so it's possible you could drive and snag one this summer maybe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:16 pm @Eric. Can you shoot some emails over to VW. I am legit curious if you can come to a R at sticker. I would think not... they are marking up GTIs around here.
Right now the R is unavailable basically in my area. It would be a "sometime in 2022" purchase. But good call. It may be 2023.

Local dealer has one CT5 BW in stock, fully loaded, MSRP , interesting color, but too many options. It is WILD to me how carbon brakes and a carbon fiber package add 15 grand to the price of these

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Right down the street I will go look at it. Curious in the interior differences between CT4 and CT5

Here is a Desert Spec CT4 BW for $70 grand MSRP. Pretty hot car.........in Miami. No CT4 BWs in stock locally.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 pm

I hear you. Your kid is at college sans the E class, correct? You can daily that for a while if needed? I just don't really think you will actually be able to stroll over to your local VW :dillerman: and buy a Golf R at MSRP any time in the near future. I would think the CT5 BW would be similar, CT4 may be doable.

This doesn't really scream Desertbreh to me, but it seems you can get an outgoing STI at sticker now and those are really cool/timeless/fun. Couldn't really blame someone for not liking the image/style/juvenile nature of them though.
Full respect on the STI, but it's just not my thing. I would rather CTR in that price category/ricer status.

And yes, I have MB for the next 6 months at least.

Great points everyone. This is definitely the place to come for beating you down on impulse decisions.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

There is not a single 2022 Golf R on Autotrader at any price.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:06 pm There is not a single 2022 Golf R on Autotrader at any price.
I think if you actually want to test drive and pay MSRP, it's likely a 2023 thing.

You could drive a GTI perhaps? That would let you see if you can live with the infotainment or not. Also, if you like driving the GTI, safe to say the R will be the same thing but a lot better in every way. If you find a cool VW :dillerman: , maybe you could go in, test a GTI, tell them what's up, see if they can order an R for you. The VW dealer I worked with for my GTI was super service oriented and pretty cool.

The orange CT4 is pretty :nice: Tough call between that and the 5, the V8 is certainly... :jimp:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:23 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:06 pm There is not a single 2022 Golf R on Autotrader at any price.
I think if you actually want to test drive and pay MSRP, it's likely a 2023 thing.

You could drive a GTI perhaps? That would let you see if you can live with the infotainment or not. Also, if you like driving the GTI, safe to say the R will be the same thing but a lot better in every way. If you find a cool VW :dillerman: , maybe you could go in, test a GTI, tell them what's up, see if they can order an R for you. The VW dealer I worked with for my GTI was super service oriented and pretty cool.

The orange CT4 is pretty :nice: Tough call between that and the 5, the V8 is certainly... :jimp:
I bet by the second half of 2022 you should be able to drive just about anything and pay MSRP for it without a ton of hassle.

I'd go for a V8 if the funds were there. The days of V8's are numbered and they'll be gone before we know it.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:23 pm

I bet by the second half of 2022 you should be able to drive just about anything and pay MSRP for it without a ton of hassle.

I'd go for a V8 if the funds were there. The days of V8's are numbered and they'll be gone before we know it.
They are there my holdback on that is treating the CT5 like a princess. Also the CT4 BW is probably funner to drive, the CT5 makes better sounds. I mean, the CT4 does 189. IDK. Best try them out I guess.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

The CT4 is pretty small inside. I'm not sure what sort of space requirements :tits: has
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:07 pm The CT4 is pretty small inside. I'm not sure what sort of space requirements :tits: has
I'm trying to avoid buying a car she avoids/detests, it doesn't have to be one she loves. There is the GM Titanic (thanks Max) for that.

Tomorrow is my birthday, I may take the afternoon off and poke around the VW and Caddy dealership.