Desert Garage

Strut your greasy stuff!
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Apex wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:51 pm
:fuckyeah:

Mine loved my lifted to hell XJ. She even suggested that we buy another. Too bad the pricing is :fullretard: on them.

And XJ pricing is :fullretard: :disappoint:
WJ's intrigue me, but the aftermarket is far smaller than it is for the XJ.
Aren't there engine and electrical concerns with the WJ? I honestly don't know much about them. I should know more.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:24 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:14 pm

And XJ pricing is :fullretard: :disappoint:
WJ's intrigue me, but the aftermarket is far smaller than it is for the XJ.
Aren't there engine and electrical concerns with the WJ? I honestly don't know much about them. I should know more.
Electrical issues in 97 only, because they did some half assed wireless crap.

the 4.0 has actually quite a few issues. Heads (99-02), all kinds of oil leaks, exhaust manifold cracks. etc etc. Also these things are over 20 years old at this point and need a ton of work.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:31 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:24 pm

the 4.0 has actually quite a few issues. Heads (99-02), all kinds of oil leaks, exhaust manifold cracks. etc etc. Also these things are over 20 years old at this point and need a ton of work.
Hm, I thought there was something with the (then) new V8's?

But you're right, old car gonna old.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:34 pm

Sorry I misread, I was talking XJ not WJ.

I owned a Wj for 5 years. The best years are 02-04

There were some issues at launch, mainly around shitty brakes (warped rotors constantly) that were fixed in 02
Also, blend door issues, i.e dash has to come out to get heat... there are some hack job turnaround... things
Some minor interior updates from 02+
There are two motors available.
4.7 Standard and 4.7 HO the HO has platinum plugs and +30hp, but it was optional on the Limited and Overland.
Standard 4.7 has some timing chain issues... with higher mileage, but 0-150k miles it is a dead solid engine. Only thing that sucks is doing plugs every 30k, as they use copper.
Trans is good... but it requires service that no one does, and it is an expensive service $250-400 at least.
The 4.slow has a 4 speed
the 4.7 has a 5 speed from MB.
I averaged a constant 15.5
Apex
Drives: Abominable

For once I did a spreadsheet on build costs between a WJ and a JK. Enough stuff to get either rig to run on 35's with out cutting sheet metal, and it was significantly cheaper to just start with a JK.
Apex

Max is a solid resource on WJ's. :like:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:41 pm Max is a solid resource on WJ's. :like:
Seriously. :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:40 pm

For once I did a spreadsheet on build costs between a WJ and a JK. Enough stuff to get either rig to run on 35's with out cutting sheet metal, and it was significantly cheaper to just start with a JK.
JK's are coming down in value for sure lately.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:45 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:40 pm

:howdareu: MY JEEP IS BEST JEEP!
max225

One more note for those shopping WJ, Overlands are sort of epic, they came with limited slip viscous coupling axles, which were a very :neat: offroading feature that tends to be incredibly expensive to replace, all others are open diffs. Overlands also had rock rails and the HO engine standard, some even came with nav+tpms in all 5 tires, which is neat (in the later years, but that comes at a highish cost if it fails).

Most WJs came with dana 30s up front and dana 35s out back, they are pretty small (180ish) inches and can tow around 6500lbs, I towed around 5000 with mine and it was rather scary due to the short wheel base. Also watch out for 4x2 models, quite a few had that. There were also up to 4 different transfer cases used, the best being in the Overland. Most others got Select Trac II which was the usual 2.72 :1 low range IIRC

For serious crawling i would never recommend a WJ, because it looks ugly lifted IMO, and it just doesn't have the hardware, but for softroading (which is what i like to do) it is totally fine.

WJs are pretty great vehicles, for "expedition" type rigs as they ride really well, and are actually QUIET as opposed to JK/JL etc. But the limitations are plentiful as mentioned. Gas tank is a bit limiting as it is 20.5 gallons or so, so the range is at most 270 miles. Mostly around 250 in my recollection, runs on donkey piss and has very few issues.

I WISH i never sold mine (2003, WJ, Limited) for $6500 maintained by yours truly at 120k miles, it was an incredibly utilitarian vehicle at a super cheap price.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:50 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:45 pm
:lolol:

I've been reconsidering a JK with the values where they're going. If I could find a purple backcountry for reasonable miles under $30k, I'd be really tempted.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:56 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:50 pm

I've been reconsidering a JK with the values where they're going. If I could find a purple backcountry for reasonable miles under $30k, I'd be really tempted.
I saw a purple one over the weekend :megusta: still a great color on the JK
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:54 pm One more note for those shopping WJ, Overlands are sort of epic, they came with limited slip viscous coupling axles, which were a very :neat: offroading feature that tends to be incredibly expensive to replace, all others are open diffs. Overlands also had rock rails and the HO engine standard, some even came with nav+tpms in all 5 tires, which is neat (in the later years, but that comes at a highish cost if it fails).

Most WJs came with dana 30s up front and dana 35s out back, they are pretty small (180ish) inches and can tow around 6500lbs, I towed around 5000 with mine and it was rather scary due to the short wheel base. Also watch out for 4x2 models, quite a few had that. There were also up to 4 different transfer cases used, the best being in the Overland. Most others got Select Trac II which was the usual 2.72 :1 low range IIRC

For serious crawling i would never recommend a WJ, because it looks ugly lifted IMO, and it just doesn't have the hardware, but for softroading (which is what i like to do) it is totally fine.

WJs are pretty great vehicles, for "expedition" type rigs as they ride really well, and are actually QUIET as opposed to JK/JL etc. But the limitations are plentiful as mentioned. Gas tank is a bit limiting as it is 20.5 gallons or so, so the range is at most 270 miles. Mostly around 250 in my recollection, runs on donkey piss and has very few issues.

I WISH i never sold mine (2003, WJ, Limited) for $6500 maintained by yours truly at 120k miles, it was an incredibly utilitarian vehicle at a super cheap price.
:amazing:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:24 pm
wap wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 1:23 pm

:dat:
I wash her windows every couple of months, put air in her tires as needed, and vacuum the interior a couple times a year and that's it.
:dat:

This guy gets it.
:zing:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:56 pm

Really is. Especially on Backcountry's with the red graphics, black wheels, and steel bumpers. :megusta:
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:58 pm

Really is. Especially on Backcountry's with the red graphics, black wheels, and steel bumpers. :megusta:
Backcountry's are a really nice trim. 5/7
Apex

Also, brown-bimmer chat has turned in to :jeep: chat. :lol:
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:07 pm Also, brown-bimmer chat has turned in to :jeep: chat. :lol:
Naturally.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:01 pm
It's really everything you could want.

Rear locker
Rock rails
AEV front and rear bumpers
Black Rubion wheels
Motha fucking PURPLE

Seriously 5/7
Desertbreh

So I want to put an extra inch of tire width on the front of my car, and I am the craziest, most wasteful, most unattuned to the female species guy who ever lived. Meanwhile, completely lifting the vehicle is perfectly fine. Brilliant.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:18 pm So I want to put an extra inch of tire width on the front of my car, and I am the craziest, most wasteful, most unattuned to the female species guy who ever lived. Meanwhile, completely lifting the vehicle is perfectly fine. Brilliant.
Wait. Hang on. You missed a big point...

Did yours ASK for the wider tire in the front or are you volunteering this great idea for her? HUGE difference with where the idea originates.

If she's asking for the wider front tire, that's a different story.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:18 pm So I want to put an extra inch of tire width on the front of my car, and I am the craziest, most wasteful, most unattuned to the female species guy who ever lived. Meanwhile, completely lifting the vehicle is perfectly fine. Brilliant.
Dammit Dirk, stop cluttering up this :jeep: thread with these comments.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Apex

Detroit wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:16 pm
Apex wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:06 pm

It's really everything you could want.

Rear locker
Rock rails
AEV front and rear bumpers
Black Rubion wheels
Motha fucking PURPLE

Seriously 5/7
:dat: :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 3:22 pm
Dammit Dirk, stop cluttering up this :jeep: thread with these comments.
:jeep: is lyfe.
Apex

You only want to give her 1 inch. :jalepenis:

Need to go with an additional 3-4 inches. :dong:

:lol: