Turbro Miata. To ruin or not to ruin?

Strut your greasy stuff!
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

troyguitar wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:44 am
Barnes93cb wrote:
Its either that or I get out of cars altogether. I cant properly afford a daily and a project at the moment. I need to reassess my finances.
Call mom?
Shes a bit unemployed. I support my family more than ive ever thought I would at 25.
Barnes93cb

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:38 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:37 am

Once I get the replacement engine in the car things should be fine. I dont beat on the car anymore. And with the clutch fixed and all new suspension components it should be fine. Ive got the ECU to get the car tuned properly once it runs better. And then im done modifying the car for performance.
Ok, you're almost there. Don't lose sight of the goal.
Yeah im a proper running engine and ECU install/tune away from a fairly completed car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:37 am
[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am

I mean, at least in Tejas you generally don't get as much rain as the east coast.

But you've gotta put together a plan. Get the car to a shop or enlist the help of a local Miata club, and get the car diagnosed and put together and just stop messing with it. I'd even suggest not going full stock.
Once I get the replacement engine in the car things should be fine. I dont beat on the car anymore. And with the clutch fixed and all new suspension components it should be fine. Ive got the ECU to get the car tuned properly once it runs better. And then im done modifying the car for performance.
End is in sight man, hang in there!

Personally, I would advocate selling the car once you get it running right. Grab something that is still fun but not so heavily modified. You can get a C5 now with a manual for around $10k. Epic AC for Texas, it's flat out there so less scrape problems, fast, fun, still has targa if you're into that. They're really cheap to run unless you chew through tires quickly.

You could also get a non FI NB or NC, a GTO, MR2, 350Z, used FRS must be cheap-ish by now. I think any of those would be better for you and reliable as a daily but still fun in stock or mostly stock form.
Barnes93cb

Took the car for an alignment and tire balancing. 3 tires were out of balance. The total damage for the entire service was $24. :notbad:

Also discovered that my right rear caliper is leaking right at the ebrake cable. Looks like ill be ordering a new caliper. Ill do a better inspection soon to see if I also need pads too. Fluid recommendations from the group? DD with spirited driving from time to time. No track days in the near future.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

If you're not going to track, just get any DOT4 from a reputable brand, IMO. I've used ATE Type 200 for a while successfully, would work well but you could probably spend less and be fine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Valvoline synthetic, $5 a quart at the auto parts store. Works well in all of my cars for the past few years.
Barnes93cb

Engine swap is almost completed. Yesterday we pulled my engine, swapped the manifolds, turbo, sensors, transmission and clutch over. We also threw it back into the car and got everything underneath hooked up. Today I need to fill with fluids and hook the radiator and hoses up. Then its time to fire it up and pray for the best.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:36 am Engine swap is almost completed. Yesterday we pulled my engine, swapped the manifolds, turbo, sensors, transmission and clutch over. We also threw it back into the car and got everything underneath hooked up. Today I need to fill with fluids and hook the radiator and hoses up. Then its time to fire it up and pray for the best.
:excited:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:36 am Engine swap is almost completed. Yesterday we pulled my engine, swapped the manifolds, turbo, sensors, transmission and clutch over. We also threw it back into the car and got everything underneath hooked up. Today I need to fill with fluids and hook the radiator and hoses up. Then its time to fire it up and pray for the best.
in4 results
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:58 am
in4 results
Car is done. Only driven around the block so far. I have a few really terrible quality photos to post up when I get more time to put a story together.

Hold me to a more involved update. I owe yall one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

This escalated quickly! In4story for sure.

Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:59 pm This escalated quickly! In4story for sure.

I mean ive been talking about the blown motor a while.
Barnes93cb

Time for your update.

Engine replacement was picked up Wednesday and stripped down all the hoses, manifolds, and sensors.

Friday VanDorin and I got started about 1030 with my car. We managed to get everything disconnected and the motor ready to pull by early afternoon. Things went super smooth and quick to this point. He and I were working as a perfect team hitting the car from both ends without a hiccup. Engine hoist hooked up and ready to go.

Now we can start the beginning of my issues. The engine was getting hung up by something. We just couldn’t figure it out. No idea what was wrong. Got under the car and verified all hoses and sensors unplugged. Nothing still stuck in the engine bay. No chance the car is sill hung up. So we keep pulling repeatedly. Finally a bulb goes off in my head. I never disconnected the shifter. We were attempting to pull the engine and trans. But my shifter was still stuck in the car.

A quick console removal and some bolts taken out. Lo and behold a free engine.

Swapped all the manifolds and sensors over to the replacement. Oil pan swapped and ready to go.

Now it’s mid afternoon and we are getting ready to drop a motor into the car. Everything was going okay. But the center support brace for the car just kept getting in the way. Nothing a jack and pry bar couldn’t handle.

Now we get to hooking all the bolts and sensors up. By evening we have the engine and trans back in the car and secured in place. Only thing left is to finalize the hoses and connectors, fill with fluids, and send it.

Friday ends.

Saturday comes around and I’m alone with a late start. About noon I’m ready to go. Hoses tracked down. There are so many damn hoses in the engine bay. Once I install the stand alone and delete some pieces this should clean it up.

But none the less. Bolts aren’t going in right. It’s hot and I was dehydrated. Not much progress gets done. Driveshaft is our back in and I redo some bolts I messed up in the dark on Friday. A bunch of cleaning gets done to tidy up the engine bay and loose wires.

Saturday is done and a waste. We also had a friend come into town so I was slowed down talking.

Sunday is another late start with friends still over and is going to a late breakfast. Everything is getting the final hook up. I’m ready for fluids. Trans bolt is stuck. It’s a square head and we do not have a proper tool. I spend two hours jumping back and forth on it and everything else that’s left. I’ve used a vice grip, crescent wrench, hammer, and entire can of pb blaster. This thing is just ripping chunks and rounding out. I’m beat and angry. I’m angry and it’s time to motivate the bolt with the heat of the sun. I go buy a torch from tractor supply. I’ve never used one of these before and I’m alone mind you. But I’m don’t playing around. Hear this little guy up and nothing. Time to make it a supernova. That’s the trick!! Finally redemption and the bolt is out. I call it a day around 4:30-5. Time for a cookout.

Monday start at 10. Fill the trans, oil and other fluids in. Time to put the shifter back in the car. Nothing is lining up. Tear it apart and see that we have dented and pulled the trans tunnel all up (remember when the shifter was stuck?). So I get the Jeremy clarkson special (bfh) and go to town. Finally get the sheet metal back to shape and flatten back out the shifter gasket. And we are all bolted up.

Time to start is the car. She fires up perfectly. Let it get to operating temp. And the needle keeps climbing.... great. I know my thermostat works on the old engine time to swap it over. Now is the super boob moment. I decided to reuse the gasket. Let’s just say that was dumb. A bunch of pulling the housing to try and wear that old gasket in place. Rtv to fill the gap I kept getting on the bottom was a waste of my time. I had a gasket picked up and slapped that on with some rtv. Let it cure. Filled with more coolant since I spilled half a jug constantly undoing that hose to fix a leak. And now the final start.

She lives. A drive around the block to make sure it’s good. Everything checks out. I drove it home and have about 10 miles on the car so far without issues.

I think I’ll be good. VanDorin and I were a great team and I cannot thank him enough for the help. His tools and driveway were invaluable to me this weekend. And I also know I can pull the engine with a 10-17mm wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Last I remember VanDorin was he dumped the mk6 cause he wanted an s13 and now drives an 80s k5 blazer like truck (don’t know much about chebbys of that era, so correct me if im wrong)
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Barnes93cb

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:25 am Last I remember VanDorin was he dumped the mk6 cause he wanted an s13 and now drives an 80s k5 blazer like truck (don’t know much about chebbys of that era, so correct me if im wrong)
Yeah hes got out of cars. Just wants a nice cruising truck. Hes got an 83 C10 with a 4.8 LS swap. Lowered a bit and saving up for a 5.3. Along with a stock jeep cherokee that hes waiting to get rid of once the truck is done. And his Harley.

After his GTI he bought a 5.9 Cummins that was just breaking down and putting him into debt.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Honestly seems like it went really well for a first engine swap. I hope the car is more reliable for you! I admire your willingness to just kind of dive into this job, sweet!

Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:08 am Honestly seems like it went really well for a first engine swap. I hope the car is more reliable for you! I admire your willingness to just kind of dive into this job, sweet!

Had Vandorin been more available the other days I am sure things would have been done in two days. But life doesnt work out like that.

Overall things went super smooth and I have no complaints from the job. I am super grateful for this experience and the knowledge that I can do this again. Im going to tear the old motor down and see what all has failed and possibly repair for a spare in the future. This should make a fun winter project for me.

Knowing that I had Vandorin around really gave me the confidence to dive into this job. I was planning to do it either way. But him being by my side and willing to help was integral to my success.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

5/7 update and result. Grats and good luck.

You seem to get along great with VanDorin. Maybe you should marry him next?

Give him our regards.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:fuckyeah: :stig:

When do you leave for Texas?

MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:02 pm Vandorin needs to be on here and post more about that sweet sweet squarebody :truk: of his.

Also, :fuckyeah: on getting it all buttoned up and driveable again! :fuckyeah: dude!
:dat:
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:41 am
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:25 am Last I remember VanDorin was he dumped the mk6 cause he wanted an s13 and now drives an 80s k5 blazer like truck (don’t know much about chebbys of that era, so correct me if im wrong)
Yeah hes got out of cars. Just wants a nice cruising truck. Hes got an 83 C10 with a 4.8 LS swap. Lowered a bit and saving up for a 5.3. Along with a stock jeep cherokee that hes waiting to get rid of once the truck is done. And his Harley.

After his GTI he bought a 5.9 Cummins that was just breaking down and putting him into debt.
he needs to be on here, miss that guy on the last hurrah of the dead forum. I may possibly get a JL Wrangler 1.5 years later.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 pm 5/7 update and result. Grats and good luck.

Give him our regards.
Ron throwing darts from Chi-Town.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Barnes93cb

wap wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 pm 5/7 update and result. Grats and good luck.

Give him our regards.
Hes already got someone. His roommate for like the last 6 years. They have been through other relationships. His roommate getting divorced, and now soon to be remarried I think.
They wont break up. lol

Plus im moving to texas next week.
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 pm :fuckyeah: :stig:

When do you leave for Texas?

Most likely Monday. If this storm doesnt do too much damage.
Barnes93cb

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:02 pm Vandorin needs to be on here and post more about that sweet sweet squarebody :truk: of his.

Also, :fuckyeah: on getting it all buttoned up and driveable again! :fuckyeah: dude!
He wont. If its not an instagram post he doesnt social media anymore. Hes a hermit most days now. Doesnt go to car shows, no bars, not to dinner much.