Turbro Miata. To ruin or not to ruin?

Strut your greasy stuff!
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

The noise was in fact the brake ducting. A few zip ties later and its good to go.

But my unknown oil leak is getting significantly worse. I need some time under the hood to try and track it down. Im not leaking onto the ground. Just from a seal/hose somewhere while I drive. I can smell the burning oil at stop lights. But I can never find any smoke or easily visible spots. Im assuming its coming from the back of the motor.
Barnes93cb

The cars oil leak has gotten a bit worse. Only driven 200 miles since I did the oil change and the dipstick was dry today. Looks like the bike is getting daily status and I am getting under the car this weekend.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 pm The cars oil leak has gotten a bit worse. Only driven 200 miles since I did the oil change and the dipstick was dry today. Looks like the bike is getting daily status and I am getting under the car this weekend.
That’s a lot of oil to go through in a short period of time. Any idea where the leak is coming from?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Barnes93cb

4zilch wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:10 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:52 pm The cars oil leak has gotten a bit worse. Only driven 200 miles since I did the oil change and the dipstick was dry today. Looks like the bike is getting daily status and I am getting under the car this weekend.
That’s a lot of oil to go through in a short period of time. Any idea where the leak is coming from?
I know the CAS and PCV are both leaking. But I doubt that its enough for this massive of a leak. Im planning to get the car on some jack stands this weekend and find the leak. I dont puddle, but I can smell the oil while driving. Especially as im slowing down. But no smoke or visible wet spots from the top of the engine bay.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:37 pm Well this evening was frustrating.

After I started to vac all the water up I wasn’t getting anywhere. So I decided to pull the seats and carpet.

The padding was so soaked and old that it just tore to pieces.

Needless to say I ended up deciding to cut my losses. I cut the interior carpet out and ripped out the padding. It’s all in a dumpster.

But now my car is without water and the chance of mold is almost zero.

I’ll look around and see if I can’t find some replacement carpet. It looks like it would be a fairly simple install. Since taking it out was cake.

I’ll get another photo of how the interior is now. Let’s just say I’m some seats and roll cage away from a racecar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd take it to one of those places that sprays rubber bed liners into pickup trucks. If done right it could be 5/7
Barnes93cb

Tarspin wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:59 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:37 pm Well this evening was frustrating.

After I started to vac all the water up I wasn’t getting anywhere. So I decided to pull the seats and carpet.

The padding was so soaked and old that it just tore to pieces.

Needless to say I ended up deciding to cut my losses. I cut the interior carpet out and ripped out the padding. It’s all in a dumpster.

But now my car is without water and the chance of mold is almost zero.

I’ll look around and see if I can’t find some replacement carpet. It looks like it would be a fairly simple install. Since taking it out was cake.

I’ll get another photo of how the interior is now. Let’s just say I’m some seats and roll cage away from a racecar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd take it to one of those places that sprays rubber bed liners into pickup trucks. If done right it could be 5/7
Ive installed bed liners a few times. Theyre fine and hold up well. But I would prefer the carpet.
Barnes93cb

Ordered new accessory belts, pcv, pcv gromet, a headunit, and speakers. I might pick up some gaskets too if we manage to find the oil leaks this weekend.

My brother is coming into town tonight and hes going to help me fix the car. Ill borrow a compression tester from Vandorin and see if we cant check on the health of this engine while we are at it. I should pick up some more oil and change that while im at it.
Barnes93cb

Burning a lot of oil. The smell is getting worse. I found a small amount of seepage from the valve cover. But I also found a leak at the CAS. Ordering a replacement for both. But I don’t think they’re large enough to account for the consumption that this car is doing. 2quarts in 250 miles.

I can smell it while driving. But not leaving any puddles. Tomorrow morning is a compression test to begin theprocess to check for bad rings or valves.
Barnes93cb

[user not found] wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:48 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:55 am Burning a lot of oil. The smell is getting worse. I found a small amount of seepage from the valve cover. But I also found a leak at the CAS. Ordering a replacement for both. But I don’t think they’re large enough to account for the consumption that this car is doing. 2quarts in 250 miles.

I can smell it while driving. But not leaving any puddles. Tomorrow morning is a compression test to begin theprocess to check for bad rings or valves.
Is your rear bumper black around the exhaust outlet?
Sure is. And blowby onto the ground on startup.
Barnes93cb

Starting to piece together my engine build list. Not going too crazy.

H Beam Rods
ARP Head/Main Studs
Gates waterpump and timing kit
Boundary Engineering Oil Pump
ACL Race Bearings
Cometic Headgasket
Supertech Piston Rings
Supertech Valves seals
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:47 pm Starting to piece together my engine build list. Not going too crazy.

H Beam Rods
ARP Head/Main Studs
ACL Race Bearings
Cometic Headgasket
Supertech Piston Rings
Supertech Valves seals
ok dude, calm down.

First off.... your symptoms dont sound good, im not going to lie, BUT do the compression test to confirm.

2: just get a used stock engine. Miata engines are tough as nails. if you want to do a 'build', plug in a stock lump to get the car on the road and rebuild this engine you pull out. If you try to build this engine you will end up with a car that does not move for months on end, and that's frustrating. An engine swap is a weekend for a novice wrench with a buddy, a day for someone with some experience.
brain go brrrrrr
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:30 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:47 pm Starting to piece together my engine build list. Not going too crazy.

H Beam Rods
ARP Head/Main Studs
ACL Race Bearings
Cometic Headgasket
Supertech Piston Rings
Supertech Valves seals
ok dude, calm down.

First off.... your symptoms dont sound good, im not going to lie, BUT do the compression test to confirm.

2: just get a used stock engine. Miata engines are tough as nails. if you want to do a 'build', plug in a stock lump to get the car on the road and rebuild this engine you pull out. If you try to build this engine you will end up with a car that does not move for months on end, and that's frustrating. An engine swap is a weekend for a novice wrench with a buddy, a day for someone with some experience.
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

I'd also like to add h-beam rods this and racing bearing that.... a miata, even a turbo one, is way choked on power by the heads. 250 to the wheels is all you are going to get without major headwork. and aint nobody needing h-beam connecting rods with 75 ponies per hole / 160 hp per liter. (unless you are revving its nuts off to get those #'s)
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Sorry all. Thought I posted the numbers in here.

Cylinder 1 - 120
2- 90
3- 100
4- 110

Leakdown test showed 65% loss in cylinders 1-3 and 40 in 4. Massive air escaping through the oil cap. We performed the tests multiple times with similar results each time.

Part of the desire to build this engine is so I can learn and have that experience. I know that I will never pass 250. That wouldnt happen with this turbo kit anyway. Ive got buddies who have pulled miata engines and built them a few times for help. I also have a motorcycle to ride and I live with a coworker if I need to ride in a car.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:33 pm Sorry all. Thought I posted the numbers in here.

Cylinder 1 - 120
2- 90
3- 100
4- 110

Leakdown test showed 65% loss in cylinders 1-3 and 40 in 4. Massive air escaping through the oil cap. We performed the tests multiple times with similar results each time.

Part of the desire to build this engine is so I can learn and have that experience. I know that I will never pass 250. That wouldnt happen with this turbo kit anyway. Ive got buddies who have pulled miata engines and built them a few times for help. I also have a motorcycle to ride and I live with a coworker if I need to ride in a car.
Im not discouraging you from building the engine, but just advising to do a R&R with a used one so the car is back working WHILE you build it.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Valid Points. I did manage to find one in NC for $750. Its not a bad deal. But finding someone with a truck to go with me might prove more difficult.

That was my first course of action. I just didnt want to go through the hassle of pulling an engine twice. Especially if it ends up being crap also.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:39 pm Valid Points. I did manage to find one in NC for $750. Its not a bad deal. But finding someone with a truck to go with me might prove more difficult.

That was my first course of action. I just didnt want to go through the hassle of pulling an engine twice. Especially if it ends up being crap also.
Drive with a buddy to pick it up, and then just do the engine swap in the seller's driveway ZFG.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:39 pm Valid Points. I did manage to find one in NC for $750. Its not a bad deal. But finding someone with a truck to go with me might prove more difficult.

http://www.car-part.com/

some places will even ship. Can always just rent a truck for the day too.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 pm

Drive with a buddy to pick it up, and then just do the engine swap in the seller's driveway ZFG.
Best advices ever. Done
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:16 pm

http://www.car-part.com/

some places will even ship. Can always just rent a truck for the day too.
car-part is how I found the engine.

Didnt know about the shipping. Truck rental is an option although not desirable.

Ill keep searching.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:55 pm

LOL
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Barnes93cb

Had an engine setup to buy in Charlotte. Price agreed upon and cash in hand. The seller went silent. Now im back to looking again. One less weekend to get this done. And much more stressed out.
Barnes93cb

[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:31 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:23 am Had an engine setup to buy in Charlotte. Price agreed upon and cash in hand. The seller went silent. Now im back to looking again. One less weekend to get this done. And much more stressed out.
Hence why making your daily a project is no bueno.
Its either that or I get out of cars altogether. I cant properly afford a daily and a project at the moment. I need to reassess my finances.
Barnes93cb

[user not found] wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:33 am

Its either that or I get out of cars altogether. I cant properly afford a daily and a project at the moment. I need to reassess my finances.
I mean, at least in Tejas you generally don't get as much rain as the east coast.

But you've gotta put together a plan. Get the car to a shop or enlist the help of a local Miata club, and get the car diagnosed and put together and just stop messing with it. I'd even suggest not going full stock.
Once I get the replacement engine in the car things should be fine. I dont beat on the car anymore. And with the clutch fixed and all new suspension components it should be fine. Ive got the ECU to get the car tuned properly once it runs better. And then im done modifying the car for performance.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Barnes93cb wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:31 pm Hence why making your daily a project is no bueno.
Call mom?