Turbro Miata. To ruin or not to ruin?

Strut your greasy stuff!
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Barnes93cb wrote:Question for the masses.

Would putting a hard top on the car keep things cooler while using the A/C?

Im moving to the Texas desert. And it gets pretty warm. I know its a convertible and that the top down is always best. But I like the look of the hardtop and if it also had a benefit of added cooling that would make things even better.
:iono:

Even my shitty ass NA with soft top really kept up AC-wise. It's such a tiny space that it cools well.

I was near your future area this week in Lubbock, Abilene, Brownsville... It was hot as fuck.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Oh, and Midland. That place is :disgust:
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:35 pm
Barnes93cb wrote:Question for the masses.

Im moving to the Texas desert. And it gets pretty warm. I know its a convertible and that the top down is always best. But I like the look of the hardtop and if it also had a benefit of added cooling that would make things even better.
:iono:

Even my shitty ass NA with soft top really kept up AC-wise. It's such a tiny space that it cools well.

I was near your future area this week in Lubbock, Abilene, Brownsville... It was hot as fuck.
The AC works great. But im fat and weak. So the cooler it gets in a place that spends over 100 days of the year over 100F would be great. And the heat radiates through the soft top. I should also get a little tinting done.
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 pm Oh, and Midland. That place is :disgust:
And yes. West Texas is terrible.

But that will be home for 4 years. Im going to make the best of it all.
Barnes93cb

Drove the POS through standing water. The car died out on me.
Pushed it out. Pulled the spark plugs. Shot a shit load of water out. Put the plugs back in and the car started and sounded fine.

I was in the process of tearing all the diamond plate out from the underside. Then a storm came in. Today I plan to finish a compression test, oil change, and put new spark plugs into the car.

To top it all off I was hoping for a light part to this shitty week. My fuel pump on the motorcycle broke and that means I have no personal transportation.

Ive spent a grand this past week in tools and parts. Im pretty upset.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:36 am Drove the POS through standing water. The car died out on me.
Pushed it out. Pulled the spark plugs. Shot a shit load of water out. Put the plugs back in and the car started and sounded fine.

I was in the process of tearing all the diamond plate out from the underside. Then a storm came in. Today I plan to finish a compression test, oil change, and put new spark plugs into the car.

To top it all off I was hoping for a light part to this shitty week. My fuel pump on the motorcycle broke and that means I have no personal transportation.

How deep was that water you drove through?
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:36 am Drove the POS through standing water. The car died out on me.

Oh wow. How low is the air intake on it? That sucks man I'm sorry. I remember reading about things like this happening on the Ford Focus boards when people would get "long tube" AEM style intakes that put the filter next to the fog lights. One serious puddle and the engine was donezo.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

SAWCE wrote:

Gotta cock your wagon before fording the river or your :meata: gets dysentery. :sad:

Luckily BP engines are tough, simple, and use cheap parts.
Barnes93cb

SAWCE wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:06 pm

Too deep. Driving in a new area my first day back in the US and the rain was so heavy I couldnt see shit. Lesson learned.
Barnes93cb

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Oh wow. How low is the air intake on it? That sucks man I'm sorry. I remember reading about things like this happening on the Ford Focus boards when people would get "long tube" AEM style intakes that put the filter next to the fog lights. One serious puddle and the engine was donezo.
Not too low. Its behind the headlight. I fucked up.
Barnes93cb

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:01 pm
SAWCE wrote:
Gotta cock your wagon before fording the river or your :meata: gets dysentery. :sad:

Luckily BP engines are tough, simple, and use cheap parts.
Or ill just try not to use it as a boat again.

Yes they seem to be. Im hoping its okay. But im looking for spare motors in the mean time. I wanted to build one anyway.

Anyone have a lead on an affordable BP4W?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:54 pm Question for the masses.

Brutal. What AFB?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Barnes93cb

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:32 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:54 pm Question for the masses.

Brutal. What AFB?
Goodfellow AFB

San Angelo, TX
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

You got that engine running again?
Barnes93cb

SAWCE wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:51 am You got that engine running again?
Yeah after draining a gallon of water from the intake, intercooler, pipes, BOV, spark plugs. Then putting new plugs into the car and an oil change. Started her up last night. She seems to be running okay.

But the interior is still soaked. Ive just been too busy to get the chance to rip everything out. Thats my plan for this weekend. Along with replacing the fuel pump on the motorcycle.
Barnes93cb

Well this evening was frustrating.

After I started to vac all the water up I wasn’t getting anywhere. So I decided to pull the seats and carpet.

The padding was so soaked and old that it just tore to pieces.

Needless to say I ended up deciding to cut my losses. I cut the interior carpet out and ripped out the padding. It’s all in a dumpster.

But now my car is without water and the chance of mold is almost zero.

I’ll look around and see if I can’t find some replacement carpet. It looks like it would be a fairly simple install. Since taking it out was cake.

I’ll get another photo of how the interior is now. Let’s just say I’m some seats and roll cage away from a racecar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Dat weight reduction.

What do you want to do? I have no parts but probably know some people who do...
Barnes93cb

troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:11 am Dat weight reduction.

Get a new floor carpet so I can have a proper daily. Get a spare motor and build it for the track, get a 3.9 rear diff, install my MS3 ECU with some bigger injectors.

Track the car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:17 am
troyguitar wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:11 am Dat weight reduction.

Get a new floor carpet so I can have a proper daily. Get a spare motor and build it for the track, get a 3.9 rear diff, install my MS3 ECU with some bigger injectors.

Track the car.
Are you still interested in :meat: ing up at Carolina Motorsports Park before you head out?

They have track days on September 7th and 14th (Fridays), August 11th. There are others. https://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/calendar.html .

I can't do all of those but would love to head down there and drive/hang!
Barnes93cb

D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:17 am

Track the car.
Are you still interested in :meat: ing up at Carolina Motorsports Park before you head out?

They have track days on September 7th and 14th (Fridays), August 11th. There are others. https://www.carolinamotorsportspark.com/calendar.html .

I am fully down with hanging out. But not so sure I’ll have the car ready for a track day.

Let see what I can do to get this car ready.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Barnes93cb wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:29 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:20 pm

I am fully down with hanging out. But not so sure I’ll have the car ready for a track day.

Let see what I can do to get this car ready.
Let me know! Hopefully it goes well!
Barnes93cb

Finally passed the mileage to break in the clutch properly. Now its time to test this puppy out.

Im going to see if I cant track down this oil leak and the power steering leak too. Im going to raise the car up a bit this week and see if I cant find someone to roll my fenders. Theres a bit too much rubbing for my liking.

The car is finally coming together.
Barnes93cb

Went to raise the car up today. Took me forever to find the wheel lock which delayed things. Got one wheel done before a storm started moving in. Decided to try and beat the storm. 3/4 wheels done before the rain got too intense and lightning started up. Lets just say im a bit pissed at the moment. Nothing is going right for me with the vehicles these past two weeks. Im about done. I think I should sell it off and buy a corolla.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:04 pm Went to raise the car up today. Took me forever to find the wheel lock which delayed things. Got one wheel done before a storm started moving in. Decided to try and beat the storm. 3/4 wheels done before the rain got too intense and lightning started up. Lets just say im a bit pissed at the moment. Nothing is going right for me with the vehicles these past two weeks. Im about done. I think I should sell it off and buy a corolla.
hang in there dude, it gets better
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:54 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:04 pm Went to raise the car up today. Took me forever to find the wheel lock which delayed things. Got one wheel done before a storm started moving in. Decided to try and beat the storm. 3/4 wheels done before the rain got too intense and lightning started up. Lets just say im a bit pissed at the moment. Nothing is going right for me with the vehicles these past two weeks. Im about done. I think I should sell it off and buy a corolla.
hang in there dude, it gets better
Had a break in the weather and managed to finish raising the car. Now ive got a noise when making right hand turns.

Ill have to jack the car up again and see whats rubbing. I assume is the brake ducting hitting the wheels when I turn. But I dont know at the moment. I need a damn garage.