Turbro Miata. To ruin or not to ruin?

Strut your greasy stuff!
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm Thinking of getting a custom plate for the car. Not sure what I really want at the moment. But this is on the top of my list.

Do I get the traditional one? Or do I go racecar and get the "carbon fiber"?
You always go carbon.

HAIRDRSR
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:06 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm Thinking of getting a custom plate for the car. Not sure what I really want at the moment. But this is on the top of my list.

Do I get the traditional one? Or do I go racecar and get the "carbon fiber"?
You always go carbon.

HAIRDRSR
Not a bad idea. But has to be 7 characters.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:09 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:06 pm

You always go carbon.

HAIRDRSR
HAH GAY

:lol:
Barnes93cb

Apex wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:10 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:09 pm

HAH GAYY

:lol:
FTFY Doubt it would get approved doe.
Barnes93cb

Nevermind found an option for 6 characters.

GO KART unless someone finds something better than hairdresser or gay.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:58 pm
4zilch wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:19 pm

I love southerners ZOMG! SALT! RUST! :doomed:

Like cars disintegrate as soon as salt touches metal.
:dat:
My car doesn't get washed from maybe October until May or June. It can sometimes look almost :jizz: white from so much salt caked on it. :aintcare: NEVER had a car rust out under me.
Jesus Ron.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I haven't washed mine in almost 4 months but it hasn't been driven either. :fullretard: :thisisfine:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pm
wap wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:58 pm

:dat:
My car doesn't get washed from maybe October until May or June. It can sometimes look almost :jizz: white from so much salt caked on it. :aintcare: NEVER had a car rust out under me.
Jesus Ron.
This ain't the desert, Dirk. It rains a fair amount in the fall and it's the dark side of Neptune in the winter. I forgot that it does get washed at the diller when it gets its annual maintenance in the fall.

Besides, the point I was making was that salt isn't that damaging fi your car isn't already a shitbox.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Barnes93cb

wap wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:20 pm

Jesus Ron.
This ain't the desert, Dirk. It rains a fair amount in the fall and it's the dark side of Neptune in the winter. I forgot that it does get washed at the diller when it gets its annual maintenance in the fall.

Besides, the point I was making was that salt isn't that damaging fi your car isn't already a shitbox.
Ive probably washed the miata like 6 times in the nearly two years ive owned it. Granted 7 months of that time I was deployed.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:09 am
wap wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 pm

Ive probably washed the miata like 6 times in the nearly two years ive owned it. Granted 7 months of that time I was deployed.
:impressive:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Barnes93cb

wap wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am
Barnes93cb wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:09 am

:impressive:
I drive the car, dont really wash it. But I did just buy a bunch of stuff to clean the car up and hopefully get it into better shape.
Barnes93cb

Ripped the door panels and center console back off the car during lunch. Ive got a gauge bezel in the mail for the car. About to install my AFR gauge and OIL pressure too. Then the car will be prepared for the eventual engine overhaul and then MS3 install. Plus checking into why my driver window motor stopped working for no reason and the passenger window is super slow.
Barnes93cb

It’s getting pretty hot in west Texas. But not crazy compared to South Carolina.

Car has started to overheat. No coolant leaks. Radiator seems fine. I’ve got coolant. Nothing has been touched on the car in months.

While driving I can see the gauge creep a little. But at a stop it climbs pretty rapidly.

Before I go throwing parts at the car. What do you more mechanically inclined people think it could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Barnes93cb on Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm It’s getting pretty hot in west Texas. But not crazy compared to South Carolina.

Car has started to overhead. No coolant leaks. Radiator seems fine. I’ve got coolant. Nothing has been touched on the car in months.

While driving I can see the gauge creep a little. But at a stop it climbs pretty rapidly.

Before I go throwing parts at the car. What do you more mechanically inclined people think it could be?

Fan relay? Is the fan clicking on when you're stopped?
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Barnes93cb wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:07 pm It’s getting pretty hot in west Texas. But not crazy compared to South Carolina.

Car has started to overheat. No coolant leaks. Radiator seems fine. I’ve got coolant. Nothing has been touched on the car in months.

Still running 50/50 water and coolant? If so after a general system check-up I'd cut that down to 70/30 out there.
brain go brrrrrr
Barnes93cb

Update for everyone.

Fans are running. Running 70/30 mix already.

Coolant is topped.

Guess I’m going to get the car warmed up and see if the thermostat is working properly. If not I’ll replace it and see. I’m hoping I don’t need to swap my water pump.

EDIT: Took the cap off and let the car warm up. Noticed that once the car got warm a massive section of air came through and I was super low on fluid. I topped off and everything seems okay now.
I looked for a leak but didnt see anything. I reinstalled my overflow as a backup and ill keep an eye on the fluid level for now. Hopefully this was all I needed.
Barnes93cb

Ripped almost all of the old miata motor apart that ive had sitting around since september. Loads of carbon on the pistons and cyl 1 was missing about 2.5 inches of ring that has disappeared somewhere. Cylinder walls look pretty good. And no signs of significant damage. Ill have to check the head over a bit more now.

Plan is a cheap rebuild(rods, pistons, bearings, studs) and get the engine to a machine shop for a small deck and hone just to make sure everything is square.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Barnes93cb wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:50 pm Update for everyone.

Fans are running. Running 70/30 mix already.

Coolant is topped.

Guess I’m going to get the car warmed up and see if the thermostat is working properly. If not I’ll replace it and see. I’m hoping I don’t need to swap my water pump.

EDIT: Took the cap off and let the car warm up. Noticed that once the car got warm a massive section of air came through and I was super low on fluid. I topped off and everything seems okay now.
I looked for a leak but didnt see anything. I reinstalled my overflow as a backup and ill keep an eye on the fluid level for now. Hopefully this was all I needed.
Very likely you had that air trapped and it was causing the overheating. Probably good to go now!
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Barnes93cb

The Miata was down for almost two months after a coolant leak and then terrible wobble while driving. I didn’t even care to look at it, as I’m tired of this car and no longer want to deal with it.

I finally tightened the coolant hose and found that some Lug nuts had come loose. Fix that up and went for a drive.

I forgot how nice this car shifts. But that’s about the only redeeming quality.

I think it’s time I part the car out and move onto another vehicle. If you know anyone who needs nb1 turbo Miata parts let me know. Otherwise it’s probably going to be sold off in pieces and then scrapped after.