Waxer's Haus of Wax

Strut your greasy stuff!
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

wap wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:17 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:28 am
Earth quakes don’t worry me. Even at its worst it’s no where near as bad as not being able to breathe or see. These fires are terrifying.
Earthquakes can cause fires too :doe:
Link to an earthquake that burned 300k acres annually ?

earthquake + fire here would be epic doom. But the fire is what destroys it all. Ala 1908
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 am
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:27 am

I feel like anywhere from the Adirondacks NY to Eastern Michigan and down to maybe Huntsville or Knoxville is pretty damn safe.
Shit, you could probably go as far west as Colorado. The entire states of MI, WI, MN are pretty danged boring in this regard. Even most of IL down to TN as you mentioned is pretty safe I think.
Generally true, plus no hurricanes or tsunami's either.

BUT,

The New Madrid fault down in southern Illinois/Missouri is not dormant. Back in 1811 there were a series of 7.5+ magnitude earthquakes that rang church bells in Boston and briefly reversed the flow of the Mississippi river. :mindblown:

Back in the late 1980's there was a small earthquake down there that set off the car alarm on my Scirocco, so it's not dormant.

Still less of a danger than the impending Big One in CA :doe:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:21 pm

earthquake + fire here would be epic doom. But the fire is what destroys it all. Ala 1908
No reason an earthquake couldn't happen right now while everything is on fire.

That's the point. The chances of full-blown :nuke: :doomed: is higher where you are than where WAP and I live.

:thisisfine:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:32 am
Shit, you could probably go as far west as Colorado. The entire states of MI, WI, MN are pretty danged boring in this regard. Even most of IL down to TN as you mentioned is pretty safe I think.

BUT,

The New Madrid fault down in southern Illinois/Missouri is not dormant. Back in 1811 there were a series of 7.5+ magnitude earthquakes that rang church bells in Boston and briefly reversed the flow of the Mississippi river. :mindblown:

Back in the late 1980's there was a small earthquake down there that set off the car alarm on my Scirocco, so it's not dormant.

:ohdang:

I did not know about that fault line. Fortunately pretty far from northern IL, WI, and MI :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Earthquake + fire was my point. Quakes can definitely cause devastating fires. And yes, 1908 is a great example. Regardless of how many acres burned it's an epic :doom: combination.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:25 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:23 pm

BUT,

:ohdang:

I did not know about that fault line. Fortunately pretty far from northern IL, WI, and MI :doe:
Thankfully!
max225

wap wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:26 pm

Earthquake + fire was my point. Quakes can definitely cause devastating fires. And yes, 1908 is a great example. Regardless of how many acres burned it's an epic :doom: combination.
The huge difference was, the local fire departments are well trained in fighting post earthquake fires. They absolutely can't fight the wildfires. Completely different animals.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:24 pm

That's the point. The chances of full-blown :nuke: :doomed: is higher where you are than where WAP and I live.

You guys live in areas that are completely dependent on HVAC systems in the Winters. Blizzards are fucking scary AF as well. Sitting at home when you will die outside within minutes is literally :thisisfine: as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:29 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:24 pm

You guys live in areas that are completely dependent on HVAC systems in the Winters. Blizzards are fucking scary AF as well. Sitting at home when you will die outside within minutes is literally :thisisfine: as well.
Our power rarely, if ever goes out. And if it does, houses have fireplaces for a reason. There's a much higher likelihood of you burning to death than me freezing to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

And "blizzards", the most I've seen in one snowfall in the Detroit area in 6 years is 8"...that's not shutting down anything.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Just buy an RV.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I’d love for a good couple of feet blizzard. All we get are :jalepenis: couple of inches lately.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:38 pm I’d love for a good couple of feet blizzard. All we get are :jalepenis: couple of inches lately.
:dat:

Feet don't happen here until you get into the upper peninsula. There's nothing scary about winter here.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:31 pm
Our power rarely, if ever goes out. And if it does, houses have fireplaces for a reason. There's a much higher likelihood of you burning to death than me freezing to death.
I dunno... That's a tough statement to make. There are a variety of factors. Not that many people die from wildfires... But bunch of homes do get destroyed.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:51 pm
I dunno... That's a tough statement to make. There are a variety of factors. Not that many people die from wildfires... But bunch of homes do get destroyed.
Yep. My house with all my life's stuff in it burning down is better than dying I guess.
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:28 pm
wap wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:26 pm
The huge difference was, the local fire departments are well trained in fighting post earthquake fires. They absolutely can't fight the wildfires. Completely different animals.
Makes sense.
wap

Municipalities in the snow belt are very well equipped and capable of dealing with blizzards. 5 times out of 7 roads are completely driveable less than 12 hours after a blizzard, and often driveable DURING them as the plows are on call 24/7 and are out in force immediately and usually preemptively. The only real annoyance is when businesses are slow in clearing their parking lots. Mrs and I love blizzards. They're fun. And we have a whole house generator so we'll never experience a power outage and a good snow blower so I can clear the driveway and sidewalks in about.an hour.

Only once in my 27 years of working here did my company close because of a blizzard. We did close last year because of severe cold but that was because a lot of guys in the shop drive crappy old cars that wouldn't start. I went out shopping that day in my :turboyaris: . :aintcare:
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:32 pm And "blizzards", the most I've seen in one snowfall in the Detroit area in 6 years is 8"...that's not shutting down anything.
That's :jalepenis:

The blizzard that I mentioned above was 22". :dedong:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:19 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:32 pm And "blizzards", the most I've seen in one snowfall in the Detroit area in 6 years is 8"...that's not shutting down anything.

:impressive:

Would love a blizzard with that kind of accumulation. We love them too.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Blizzard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any type of fire or earthquake.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Blizzard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>any type of fire or earthquake.
:dat: :dat: :dat:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:18 pm
Municipalities in the snow belt are very well equipped and capable of dealing with blizzards. 5 times out of 7 roads are completely driveable less than 12 hours after a blizzard, and often driveable DURING them as the plows are on call 24/7 and are out in force immediately and usually preemptively. The only real annoyance is when businesses are slow in clearing their parking lots. Mrs and I love blizzards. They're fun. And we have a whole house generator so we'll never experience a power outage and a good snow blower so I can clear the driveway and sidewalks in about.an hour.

Only once in my 27 years of working here did my company close because of a blizzard. We did close last year because of severe cold but that was because a lot of guys in the shop drive crappy old cars that wouldn't start. I went out shopping that day in my :turboyaris: . :aintcare:
Just rub it in that you're :waxer: as hell with your :fancy: :mk6:

:sass: :pout:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

I miss the cold weather and “winter” season in Virginia. San Antonio just had a cold front and it’s been 40-50 degrees daily.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

razr390 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:13 pm I miss the cold weather and “winter” season in Virginia. San Antonio just had a cold front and it’s been 40-50 degrees daily.
I'm pretty happy with our winters here, they are likely similar to San AnBronio, we get maybe one decent snow a year.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Get to the east coast of Lake Erie.

Buffalo Nov 2014