Waxer's Haus of Wax

Strut your greasy stuff!
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:52 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 am What coating is being used for the wheels, calipers and whatnot?
CQuartz Finest Reserve on everything with IR light curing.

I used the publicly available Cquartz on my Forgestars on the Z06 and the front end parts (front bumper, hood, fenders) and it was pretty amazaballz. I'm a huge supporter of professional level coatings (Not the dealer bullshit). I've got a coater down the street from my work and he does killer work.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:00 am

Have you had that done before on those parts on other cars?

I know it's a completely different product, but I did CQuartz on my wheels and calipers, and it's honestly been a bit meh compared to how well it works on the paint. Might just be the poverty DIY product.

I did both, and found it to work pretty good. For the wheels when I got home I'd just just an air compressor to get most of it off the wheels (if I was going to park the car for a few days). I found it beaded really well on my rims and didn't stick and dry. The professional shit is next level tho and is a good few steps ahead of the off the shelf shit available to the public.

ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Acid666 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:06 am

I know it's a completely different product, but I did CQuartz on my wheels and calipers, and it's honestly been a bit meh compared to how well it works on the paint. Might just be the poverty DIY product.

I did both, and found it to work pretty good. For the wheels when I got home I'd just just an air compressor to get most of it off the wheels (if I was going to park the car for a few days). I found it beaded really well on my rims and didn't stick and dry. The professional shit is next level tho and is a good few steps ahead of the off the shelf shit available to the public.

CQuartz on the paint has been :mindblown: It's lasted years so far, and still beads like that. I love the stuff.

Maybe I applied it on the wheels wrong because water doesn't bead as well, and dust doesn't come off as easily as I hoped.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Yes.

The m235i, JKU and the Z06 had Finest, on those parts, cured with IR lights. Sometime after that they reformulated and renamed it to Finest Reserve when they created "Professional". The JL and the ZR2 have Finest Reserve on all those parts. The m235i, JKU, Z06, JL and ZR2 wheels and brakes have stood up over time (Z06 was 3 full years, JKU was like 2.5).

In comparison, the Mustang and the old Cherokee trail hawk only got Cquartz UK as I didn't think the car was worth more than that. The paint was "okay" compared to Finest, but great compared to no coating at all. The wheels and brakes on the Mustang and the trail hawk lost a good amount of the performance of the coating within 6 months.

This is where the price of Finest/Finest Reserve shines and the extra hardness plays a big part.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am

Yes.

The m235i, JKU and the Z06 had Finest, on those parts, cured with IR lights. Sometime after that they reformulated and renamed it to Finest Reserve when they created "Professional". The JL and the ZR2 have Finest Reserve on all those parts. The m235i, JKU, Z06, JL and ZR2 wheels and brakes have stood up over time (Z06 was 3 full years, JKU was like 2.5).

In comparison, the Mustang and the old Cherokee trail hawk only got Cquartz UK as I didn't think the car was worth more than that. The paint was "okay" compared to Finest, but great compared to no coating at all. The wheels and brakes on the Mustang and the trail hawk lost a good amount of the performance of the coating within 6 months.

This is where the price of Finest/Finest Reserve shines and the extra hardness plays a big part.
Good to know. If I ever get something nice enough to care about, I'll find a professional coater.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Acid666

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:19 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 am

Yes.

Good to know. If I ever get something nice enough to care about, I'll find a professional coater.

That's why I mention that the professional shit is a a good bit ahead of the shit available to the public. That shit's legit. The shit off the shelf is just really decent. I was happy with it for what it was, more of a longer lasting wax. For the wheels, I put it on my wheels because I thought I could just hose off brake dust and shit, but that was a pretty unrealistic expectation. Once I realized that I was ok with the occasional wipedown and compressed air drying. It did make cleaning them a lot easier tho.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:23 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:19 am

That's why I mention that the professional shit is a a good bit ahead of the shit available to the public. That shit's legit. The shit off the shelf is just really decent. I was happy with it for what it was, more of a longer lasting wax. For the wheels, I put it on my wheels because I thought I could just hose off brake dust and shit, but that was a pretty unrealistic expectation. Once I realized that I was ok with the occasional wipedown and compressed air drying. It did make cleaning them a lot easier tho.
Agreed.

The commercial product is still great, and WAY better than a wax for sure. I've used UK and OptiCoat 2.0 at home and they really work well, especially for paint. However, there is a reason the pro stuff you can only get from an installer is more expensive and not available on the market. The detailer has to meet quality standards and can lose their ability to sell and install the product if their quality slips. I'm sure Carpro would love to just sell the more expensive product to the masses, but due to the added difficulty in the install, and needing to cure it with IR to reach full cure and hardness, that can't happen.

Honestly, if I wasn't getting somewhat of a "deal" on my carsI don't think I would have done all 8 or 9 of the cars I've had my friend do. Maybe 2 or 3 of them and I would have just done the others myself with UK.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:36 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:29 pm That photo location looks familiar. I think my buddy has photographed his cars in a similar, or possibly the same location. Can't find the pics I'm thinking of though...

Detailed review coming?
After I get it back, I will start on something.

Right now this is how it sits at my friend's shop:

Centerlock slide extension installed.. :dedong:
Pardon my ignorance, but was is the dildo extension for?
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Oh, there is a CQuartz Professional coater in the town I drive through every day...
Now, would it be worthwhile for a stupid :truk: that likes to play in the dirt and gets scratched up on trails?
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

4zilch wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:35 am
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:36 pm

After I get it back, I will start on something.

Right now this is how it sits at my friend's shop:

Centerlock slide extension installed.. :dedong:
Basically, without the :dedong: you have about 1/2 inch of "stud" (you can see them in the other pics where the lug bolts would go) holding the wheel up when you take off the centerlock. If the wheel slips the wheel can hit the brake rotor and damage the rotor and/or wheel. For any car you don't want that to happen, but you really don't want to chip dat PCCB rotor if you have them at their price point. The PCCB rotors for the current GT3 are $12,100 for the fronts and $12,200 for the rears right now. or, just over $6,000 each!

My car didn't have the $9k PCCB upgrade option.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

BTW, I had bought 3 of these for the Z06:

http://www.reverselogic.us/shop.html#!/ ... p/33249836

They worked quite well.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:44 am

Basically, without the :dedong: you have about 1/2 inch of "stud" (you can see them in the other pics where the lug bolts would go) holding the wheel up when you take off the centerlock. If the wheel slips the wheel can hit the brake rotor and damage the rotor and/or wheel. For any car you don't want that to happen, but you really don't want to chip dat PCCB rotor if you have them at their price point. The PCCB rotors for the current GT3 are $12,100 for the fronts and $12,200 for the rears right now. or, just over $6,000 each!

:word:

That makes sense - thanks for the info.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:40 am Oh, there is a CQuartz Professional coater in the town I drive through every day...
Now, would it be worthwhile for a stupid :truk: that likes to play in the dirt and gets scratched up on trails?
Good question.

I've been really unimpressed by the CQuartz Poverty I applied to my :truk: I did 3 coats and it really hasn't held up at all. Pinstriping seems just as easy as any other vehicle I've had, and the water beading was done after 6 months. For a vehicle sitting outside its entire life and seeing rough mud/weather/trail conditions, CQuartz Poverty really doesn't work.

Professional might tho?
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Sounds like one can start a business buying the Porsche with the option then specing the other rotors and selling the parts making a cool 5 figure profit
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:04 am

Sounds like one can start a business buying the Porsche with the option then specing the other rotors and selling the parts making a cool 5 figure profit
Too bad the Porsche you stripped the parts from would become worthless because of the variation from the build sheet/monroney.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:07 am

Too bad the Porsche you stripped the parts from would become worthless because of the variation from the build sheet/monroney.
You could discount it from sticker since this is not something that is done by Poorsche apparently
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

That was rotors only, no calipers and the associated parts. When I saw the specs on my car and looked to buy the PCCB conversion it looked like it was going to be about $30K in new parts and my S/GTS parts aren't that valuable to a guy with a base Carrera.

The S/GTS rotors are $2500ish + calipers, parts and pads = who knows what.

Plus, resale on the car would take a shit since the badge guys all want the PCCBs
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

It's funny to me that in this car, everyone pulls the Monroney on all the used cars and goes over it with a fine toothed comb. With the Corvettes, lots of guys bought Z07's used and didn't even know they had one until someone looked at the option sticker under the carpet. :derp:
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:20 am
It's funny to me that in this car, everyone pulls the Monroney on all the used cars and goes over it with a fine toothed comb. With the Corvettes, lots of guys bought Z07's used and didn't even know they had one until someone looked at the option sticker under the carpet. :derp:
Exactly. Originality seems to be extremely important to Porsche buyers, 911's in particular. I wouldn't mess with anything to deviate from the monroney that wasn't simple to return back.
Acid666

Doesn't shock me. Most old jackwagons that are buying Corvettes are probably more interested in it having an automatic and that it's a convertible. PAW PAWS LIKE THEY KROMEZ!
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

+1. Brake dust does not bounce off. :disappoint:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Acid666 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:47 am

Doesn't shock me. Most old jackwagons that are buying Corvettes are probably more interested in it having an automatic and that it's a convertible. PAW PAWS LIKE THEY KROMEZ!
If automatic take rate is the determining factor of this argument, one has to point out that 90% of Porsche’s are automatics vs 50% on the corvettes
Acid666

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:11 pm
Acid666 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:47 am

If automatic take rate is the determining factor of this argument, one has to point out that 90% of Porsche’s are automatics vs 50% on the corvettes
Porsches don't have Image status tho.
max225

Acid666 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:20 pm

In some ways no, in other ways people make “rally” air cooled cars and go completely retarded on spec sheet circle jerking. While that’s not a hooters meat up mentality it is likely just as mentally challenged so pick your poison.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Acid666 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:20 pm

I'm working to change this. Give me a little time, it's only been 2 months.